A Try Port Mintest to Android

tkerwel

A Try Port Mintest to Android

by tkerwel » Post

Hello,

as my big working project is hopeful finished next weekend i have some time to do one more try for some useful work from my side to the community. hope this time nobody already started something like this or planning to do so...

i that case. pls leave a comment, i guess it would be better then to join and manage this together as a goal for minetest

As i final bought a tablet the ARCHOS 101 XS i have to face, that minetest wont run under Android ....

the reason is, that the Android systems are based on a different hardware then the most windows and linux systems. so there is no really good working IDE for c++. most of the developing in Android systems are based on java.

the grafik engine of minetest is irrlicht, this engine is written in c++ same like the main code of minetest. so if somebody wants minetest to run under android, he has to port the c++ code from minetest to java and find a possibility to acess the irrlicht engine from java.
Wrapping Irrlicht for Android:it has been ported to android by Laurent Mallet, source code can be obtained from https://gitorious.org/irrlichtandroid/. The code is written in c++ language, but android mainly supports the java language. Using native c++ on android to develop applications is more difficult, and not convenient, especially to debug. For developer to use irrlicht easily, it is best to provide java interfaces.
if wanted i will document my progress here and keep you updated. i dont know if i will be able to port this to android, but at least i can find out if there are possibilities and maybe other can benefit form this work.

so far to the plan....
++++ Kung walang tiyaga, walang nilaga. ++++

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Post

thx for the info....but i am not sure if this was a serious announcement by jimbo3182, he said
I am most familiar with making apps on this platform so I will do this first
this does not include that he knows how to map irrlicht, lua and c++ code to java for android .. or is my interpretation wrong ?
++++ Kung walang tiyaga, walang nilaga. ++++

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

I assume he will react on this thread or contact you if he's serious about it.

oxenfreedan

by oxenfreedan » Post

This sounds cool and it would be a lot of fun to be able to play minetest on android!!!!!
My Awesome Map please try:
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=5028
I've played minetest since 0.3.1 came out!
Mostly when on forums I'm using a uniden tablet!

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

I also tried porting minetest to android.
My progress:
Compile Irrlicht ✔
-> examples don't work at all
Compile bzip2, curl, libjpeg, libogg, libpng, openal, libvorbis ✔
Compile Minetest ❌
-> done but doesn't work
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

sfan5 wrote:I also tried porting minetest to android.
My progress:
Compile Irrlicht ✔
-> examples don't work at all
Compile bzip2, curl, libjpeg, libogg, libpng, openal, libvorbis ✔
Compile Minetest ❌
-> done but doesn't work
you compiled android version of irrlicht? try looking for examples of games done in irrlicht for android and link between games and the engine. sorry for this dumb advice, can't help much :(

jimbo3182

by jimbo3182 » Post

sfan5, please could you send me your source code: jamestillen321@gmail.com
Last edited by sfan5 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

jimbo3182 wrote:sfan5, please could you send me your source code: jamestillen321@gmail.com
What source code?
All source code/tools I used are available in public.
I installed the NDK toolchain to compile the source code.
(via ./configure)
but I had to compile Irrlicht the traditional NDK way: http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ ... GetStarted
Last edited by sfan5 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

Re: A Try Port Mintest to Android

by LMD » Post

Id suggest using jogl or LWJGL, I mean, most of the minetest code is application logic, only the 3d displaying parts will have to be rewritten. But actually there is a working Android version : https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... t.minetest
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website