Freeminer

Menche

IRC: Menche
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Mon Apr 07, 2014 21:04

sfan5 wrote:
Krock wrote:
sfan5 wrote:Why not use LevelDB?

EEhmm..my 100MB sqlite3 map took over 30 minutes to migrate to LevelDB.
and that * 35.74 gives 1072 minutes or ~18 hours.

Does that indicate how fast LevelDB is? No
Does that indicate how LevelDB performs on normal usage? No

Towards the end of my 0.4.x server's life I migrated the map to leveldb. It took several hours, but the resulting map file was smaller and performed noticably faster. You only have to convert once!
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:47

PilzAdam wrote:
sfan5 wrote:
Krock wrote:EEhmm..my 100MB sqlite3 map took over 30 minutes to migrate to LevelDB.
and that * 35.74 gives 1072 minutes or ~18 hours.

Does that indicate how fast LevelDB is? No
Does that indicate how LevelDB performs on normal usage? No

Has anyone ever proven that LevelDB is faster than sqlite3? No

Has anyone ever proven that sqlite3 is faster than LevelDB? No
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Amaz

GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

by Amaz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:49

Just out of interest, how do you convert a map from sqlite 3 to levelDB?

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:50

Code: Select all
minetestserver --migrate leveldb --world <path to world>
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Amaz

GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 13:30

I don't see the point in tempting people with this fork if new builds of it are exceedingly rare, as they are meant to be (in the case of Windows users, at least.)
The comedic value of my videos is how abysmal they are: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5cyeM ... YTfYFlih_A

Casimir

GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Tue Apr 08, 2014 13:41

Why don't you learn to compile on windows? This way you could also provide all the builds you are missing to others. I'm sure the freeminer developers would be happy to see someone taking care of the windows builds.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 13:43

Casimir wrote:Why don't you learn to compile on windows? This way you could also provide all the builds you are missing to others. I'm sure the freeminer developers would be happy to see someone taking care of the windows builds.

http://forum.freeminer.org/threads/nobody-seems-to-know-how-to-make-windows-builds-of-freeminer.87/#post-772
This smashed my hopes and dreams of anybody doing so... For eternity.
The comedic value of my videos is how abysmal they are: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5cyeM ... YTfYFlih_A

CWz

GitHub: chaoswormz
IRC: CWz
In-game: CWz

by CWz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 15:07

I can't get current git of freeminer to compile so i am stuck with an older version.
I am CWz on the following servers: Bluelobster, turtletango, VanessaE's servers, linuxgaming, redcrab, Silvercrab, ChainLynx, lord of the test server. If you see CWz on server other then those then chances are it's a Fake. you can contact me on irc.freenode.net or by PM if you are not sure

proller

Krock
Developer

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Tue Apr 08, 2014 15:50

Inocudom wrote:
Casimir wrote:Why don't you learn to compile on windows? This way you could also provide all the builds you are missing to others. I'm sure the freeminer developers would be happy to see someone taking care of the windows builds.

http://forum.freeminer.org/threads/nobody-seems-to-know-how-to-make-windows-builds-of-freeminer.87/#post-772
This smashed my hopes and dreams of anybody doing so... For eternity.

Yeah, I saw that too. It needs soo much stuff to get that all running on Windows while it seems to work for every damnsmalllinux-user.
>> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

CWz

by CWz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 16:20

proller wrote:show error

I already did.
https://github.com/freeminer/freeminer/issues/61

You said:
Something wrong with your gettext or glib

I know it can't be gettext since i was able to compile this commit
Last edited by CWz on Tue Apr 08, 2014 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
I am CWz on the following servers: Bluelobster, turtletango, VanessaE's servers, linuxgaming, redcrab, Silvercrab, ChainLynx, lord of the test server. If you see CWz on server other then those then chances are it's a Fake. you can contact me on irc.freenode.net or by PM if you are not sure

proller

by proller » Sat Apr 12, 2014 13:39

after this commit we switch to c11, looks like you use too old compiler.

CWz

by CWz » Sat Apr 12, 2014 16:14

proller wrote:after this commit we switch to c11, looks like you use too old compiler.

i was using g++ and gcc version 4.8 to compile. what else do i need?

EDIT: I think i will just wait until the next LinuxMint LTS comes out.
Last edited by CWz on Sat Apr 12, 2014 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

proller

Enke

GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

Re: Freeminer

by Enke » Mon Apr 21, 2014 01:28

Wait. Wasn't there something about telling Freeminerbot to compile a new build of Freeminer or something?
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Mon Apr 21, 2014 05:14

Enke wrote:Wait. Wasn't there something about telling Freeminerbot to compile a new build of Freeminer or something?

Freeminer bot crashed and burned, sad to say.

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Apr 23, 2014 01:47

The only creative Freeminer server I know about unfortionately turned damage on and does not yet have a /spawn command. Hope someone reads that and changes it.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Wed Apr 23, 2014 09:45

Sokomine wrote:The only creative Freeminer server I know about unfortionately turned damage on and does not yet have a /spawn command. Hope someone reads that and changes it.

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmyZDbFumwg
I only saw 1 freeminer server on the public serverlist yet, maybe this is the one.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Apr 23, 2014 16:58

Hybrid Dog wrote:This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmyZDbFumwg
I only saw 1 freeminer server on the public serverlist yet, maybe this is the one.

Maybe. Unfortionately, I can't check the video from here. The server I built on has a site called "extreme mining spot". I own a tiny house out of cheap baskets for pies close to the travelnet there. There's also a travelnet inside the house which connects to a spot in the desert where I built a small castle (I like the sandstonebrick texture there).

Inocudom

HolyPhoenix

by HolyPhoenix » Sat Jun 14, 2014 21:10

So would you guys say that freeminer performs better than minetest?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Jun 14, 2014 23:01

HolyPhoenix wrote:So would you guys say that freeminer performs better than minetest?

They all come with mapgens that are less suitable for building, those Freeminer servers, so it's hard to tell. There are some aspects that are annyoing when building (i.e. floating dirt/sand). However, it's good to have a change and diversity sometimes.
A list of my mods can be found here.

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Fri Sep 26, 2014 21:18

I must remind people here of this fork of Minetest, for it desperately needs a community of its own (and people willing to host servers for it that aren't mere experiments.) For those not willing to read the first post, I will post the link to Freeminer's website here:
http://freeminer.org/

You see, as it stands right now, Freeminer does not have a future, because it does not have a community of it's own. This is a shame, because this fork is open source and it is under the GPLv3 license. Besides, it does incorporate all of the commits made to Minetest while keeping its own features (like a node-based farmesh and gsmapper.) I would also recommend its default sub-game, if only sand/gravel/dirt didn't flow (well, a pull request could be made to toggle whether the behavior occurs or not,) for that sub-game works with not only Freeminer's mapgenv6, but also its mapgenv7 and mapgenv5 (the one from 0.3.1.) Of course, other sub-games will work with this fork too, which is maintained by xyz and proller. Instead of uncaringly allowing it to sink into the abyss, give it a try and give it a chance. Don't be like the PureZC community, which didn't care about it much, if at all (of course, they didn't care about Minetest either.)

For the users of Windows, do not download the stable build on the home page of Freeminer's website. It is far, far too old. Instead, download one of the latest development builds:
http://forum.freeminer.org/threads/jojoa1997s-32bit-builds.132/
http://forum.freeminer.org/threads/craigs-32-bit-windows-freeminer-builds.124/
To those that use these builds, make sure that you put the following line into your configuration file to prevent your CPU from revving like a jet engine:
more_threads = 0
All thanks goes to proller for telling me about this extremely important setting.

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest-related projects