Freeminer

xyz

Freeminer

by xyz » Post

A certain group of developers being dissatisfied with the decisions other community members were making has decided to fork Minetest and work on it as they find appropriate.

You can find this project, called Freeminer, here.

Changelog: https://github.com/freeminer/freeminer/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

Nightly builds: http://build.freeminer.org/

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

What are your goals for it?

xyz

by xyz » Post

PilzAdam wrote:What are your goals for it?
It aims to make the game fun while trading off some bits of perfectionism.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Ehm nice project... just there aren't masses of players which are searching lots of servers and a >better< game than the good minetest.

In short: Let's see what happens :)
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

This fork is compatible with minetest servers
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

CraigyDavi
GitHub: davisonio
IRC: davisonio
In-game: CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Post

Cool. :)

hassage
IRC: hassage
In-game: hassage

by hassage » Post

This is a nice project.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

For one, I like the name Freeminer better than Minetest. For two, things like vbo and lower server lag are great things to have.

This fork of Minetest will need a couple of dedicated build makers (one for 32-bit, and one for 64-bit.)

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

Huh... It'll be interesting to see where this goes. Maybe one day it will surpass Minetest, as sometimes a fork will become better and more popular than the original. Who knows?

Also, who's working on it?
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

The website is awesome though. I always wanted that website for Minetest. Meh, at least some related project adopted it.

There is still a lot of 'branding' left over from Minetest. Look at the console pic in the left side of the screen. If they want to fork out, I guess they should rework the branding. Or maybe they want to stay connected with Minetest?
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Minetest + Branding? What?

Hello profile reader

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

So what is the structural difference to the Minetest development? Are you doing something different or is it just "Minetest without the people we don't like"?
I'm curious what this will become.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Minetest + Branding? What?
The Minetest(tm) stone logo, the dirt-with-grass background, the cloud animated background, the 'Tree, Cactus, Ore, Cave, and Lake' logo, and the Minetest(tm) ASCII art (In the console debugger) are trademarks of Pertu Ahola aka Celeron-55 aka C-55(c)(R) and used with permission. Minetest c-55 is licenced under the LGPL 2. All Rights Reserved. Minetest 2010 - 2013.

The console debugger is a part of the Microsoft(c)(R) Command Prompt(tm) and used with permission. All rights belong to Microsoft(c)(R). Microsoft 1975-2013
Last edited by hoodedice on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Casimir wrote:So what is the structural difference to the Minetest development? Are you doing something different or is it just "Minetest without the people we don't like"?
OP wrote:being dissatisfied with the decisions other community members were making
I rather get the impression they want to take a different direction. That means more features will be tried and tested, and with fewer debates over design at MT, development should pick up for both projects.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

The logo was made by someone else who owns the cc-by-sa-nc license.
Last edited by rubenwardy on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

Hello profile reader

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

rubenwardy wrote:It is an opensource project, so I dont think he would trademark the name, or logo, or screen.
A fairly large amount of open source projects use non-free art or trademarks, such as Firefox and Thunderbird.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

mauvebic wrote:I rather get the impression they want to take a different direction. That means more features will be tried and tested, and with fewer debates over design at MT, development should pick up for both projects.
But what I mean is, a good intention is worth nothing if it is not backed by changes in the structure. Observed from the outside it is just someone else deciding.
I hope that it will be easier to contribute to Freeminer than to Minetest.
Last edited by Casimir on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

hoodedice wrote:
The Minetest(tm) stone logo, the dirt-with-grass background, the cloud animated background, the 'Tree, Cactus, Ore, Cave, and Lake' logo, and the Minetest(tm) ASCII art (In the console debugger) are trademarks of Pertu Ahola aka Celeron-55 aka C-55(c)(R) and used with permission. Minetest c-55 is licenced under the LGPL 2. All Rights Reserved. Minetest 2010 - 2013.

The console debugger is a part of the Microsoft(c)(R) Command Prompt(tm) and used with permission. All rights belong to Microsoft(c)(R). Microsoft 1975-2013
The Minetest stone logo is CC-BY 3.0 BlockMen :P

But in general: README.txt helps a lot ;)
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... E.txt#L262

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Casimir wrote: But what I mean is, a good intention is worth nothing if it is not backed by changes in the structure. Observed from the outside it is just someone else deciding.
I hope that it will be easier to contribute to Freeminer than to Minetest.
I think the point of forking is to let other people decide, otherwise most projects would elect their leads.
As for changes, there's a changelog here.

Thermal_Shock

by Thermal_Shock » Post

Best case scenario is that this could spur some new ideas and improvements for both sides.

Best of luck to you guys. I'll keep an eye on it.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

hoodedice wrote:

lol, its funny how nobody here gets the joke.

EDIT: Shouldnt this thread be in "Minetest related projects"?
Last edited by PilzAdam on Fri Nov 29, 2013 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

I spoke with xyz on the Freeminer forums, he said that they will definitely change the name of the launcher, and the icon. It was also stated that he is working on the main menu.

And I suppose it should be in "Minetest related projects"
Last edited by Enke on Fri Nov 29, 2013 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

hassage
IRC: hassage
In-game: hassage

by hassage » Post

Enke wrote:I spoke with xyz on the Freeminer forums, he said that they will definitely change the name of the launcher, and the icon. It was also stated that he is working on the main menu.

And I suppose it should be in "Minetest related projects"
Ok, thanks for infos.

Claire

by Claire » Post

So like... Are there any different features in it that Minetest doesnt have?

I downloaded it and the application is still titled Minetest! HAHA!

Well, I tried it out. I looks and plays exactly like Minetest... But hopefully in the next few weeks or months it will start to differentiate(not sure if I used that word right) from Minetest.

P.S. I saw a picture of what the Main menu is supposed to look like, and I like it a lot better that the Minetest main menu; it looks more modern.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Quoting xyz:
Spoiler
Engine changes

99% lag-free; optimized server can handle 50-100-... players; no problems with laggy mods even on slow hardware
Much faster on client (VBO, can eat memory), increased view and send range (PilzAdam)
Directional fog + horizon colors based on sun & moon positions (MirceaKitsune #799 #772)
Adjustable dynamic weather and liquids (it's possible to define number of liquid levels in node)
Weather defined water or ice on map generation. (freezed oceans if low temperature) and dirt_with_snow instead of dirt_with_grass when too cold.
Weather defined tree and flowers growing
Cave trees in huge caves (indev mapgen)
Optimized falling (much less mid-air stuck, limited max falling speed, more air control at high-speed falling)
Fixed and optimized headless client (you can run 30-50 bots on one PC)
Hell (very hot at -30500), everything melting and burning
Slippery (Zeg9 #817)
Improved (re)spawn (don't spawn in stone) (sweetbomber #744)
Diagonal Rail (khonkhortisan #528)
Increase the amount of particles that breaking a node generates (ShadowNinja #943)
Player list, viewable by holding TAB key (sfan5 #958)
Improved math mapgen: more (10+)generators from http://mandelbulber.com/, all params are adjustable
(minetest merge) sqlite rollback
And some small bugfixes and improvements.

API changes

New node groups: freeze, melt, hot, cold (define temperatures); learn how to use them here
New node group: slippery
minetest.register_abm({…, action(…, neighbor)}) — the action function has a new parameter called neighbor which will contain a node that was matched as a neighbor
minetest.register_abm({…, neighbors_range = 4}) — maximum radius to search for a neighbor in (for example, melting snow in 4×4 area around torch)
minetest.get_surface (sapier #640)

Game changes

dirt, sand and gravel will fall off the edges (try to build something ;)
Furnaces burn items even when they are unloaded (Novatux #200)
Moonflower (MirceaKitsune #175)