Freeminer

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:
Claire wrote:P.S. I saw a picture of what the Main menu is supposed to look like, and I like it a lot better that the Minetest main menu; it looks more modern.
May you show me a screenshot?
May you learn to read and click links?

http://forum.freeminer.org/threads/diff ... inetest.6/

Jk, no sirius intended
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Linxx

by Linxx » Post

dirt, sand and gravel will fall off the edges (try to build something ;)
)
why this?

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

All in all nice package, main differences people will notice is the weather mod added to game, more grass and a moonflower. However i found snow and ice biomes right next to desert's(does not really make sense). I mean walking along found a glacier then a desert yet the other side of desert there is another glacier?

Personally i think biomes and weather types should be allocated to the position of z axis within map generation. Depending on z axis position of the player it will generate nodes to represent the climate of earth like.

E.g. If player position is 0,0,0 it should be hot with mainly jungle merging into desert's surrounding, no snow and little rain much like countries near the equator. Yet if a player is around 0,0,20000 / 0,0,-20000 or whatever it should be snowy and rainy more frequent. Anything past these points to the top/bottom of map should be ice caps and of course a gradual blend through out biomes.

Just what i think will make adventuring more interesting as player/map position then matters if you want a particular climate.
Running @1.19 MHz, 128 bytes of RAM and interchangeable 4kb ROM carts!

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

Dopium wrote:All in all nice package, main differences people will notice is the weather mod added to game, more grass and a moonflower. However i found snow and ice biomes right next to desert's(does not really make sense). I mean walking along found a glacier then a desert yet the other side of desert there is another glacier?

Personally i think biomes and weather types should be allocated to the position of z axis within map generation. Depending on z axis position of the player it will generate nodes to represent the climate of earth like.

E.g. If player position is 0,0,0 it should be hot with mainly jungle merging into desert's surrounding, no snow and little rain much like countries near the equator. Yet if a player is around 0,0,20000 / 0,0,-20000 or whatever it should be snowy and rainy more frequent. Anything past these points to the top/bottom of map should be ice caps and of course a gradual blend through out biomes.

Just what i think will make adventuring more interesting as player/map position then matters if you want a particular climate.
The main problem with this idea is tihat gameplay, at least mapgen-wise would become too predictale. However, making adjacent biomes not be polar opposites is a good idea.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

Linxx

by Linxx » Post

also i have preformance issues with the particles specaially with digging and weather effects

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Instead of forking MineTest why not aid in the development and help make this a better game... Have a settings menu that will allow you to tweak the game by adding/removing ingame features and maybe think about including some of the most used mods in the actual game itself...

leetelate

by leetelate » Post

weird - half of that is in shupa! - great minds think alike - i will check out your code (i assume it is open source?) for some things like freeze and melt in a bit

my biomes are y-based (height), not z-based (north/south), and i added a few things i called areas besides biomes like hilly areas, mountainous areas, seashore areas, since they can have differing biomes based on height

desert becomes an area since the biomes are based on height, from a low non-watery jungle to the american west to the peruvian andes (very high snowy desert)

anywhere there can be lakes and rivers and they will freeze if above the snow line - i really wish there was an ice like a snow layer, not just a block

i am also limiting stuff to only the environment nodes that are in minetest-game - silly, but that is what i have done in the past and i like it

i don't like the mp design of the weather mod and redid it as a hud, but otherwise we are on the same lines

slippery? how that would work except moving the player along downhill - i wonder if that would work for my ski world better that what i have now? - i will look at that too

are you going to take out the entity limit and what about the static? - can stuff just disappear once you walk away from it like in xbox mc?

i wish i had that client with the regular minetest server - which is why i guess there is a fork
Last edited by leetelate on Sat Nov 30, 2013 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
MT IS MC'S SMARTER BROTHER
minetest 0.4.8 compiled from latest git on linux mint 15 with qjoypad and wired 360 controller
freeminer, pilztest, buildcraft and next are the idea factories
my minetest page is http://1337318.zymichost.com if zymic isn't down - meh, it is free...

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Instead of forking MineTest why not aid in the development and help make this a better game... Have a settings menu that will allow you to tweak the game by adding/removing ingame features and maybe think about including some of the most used mods in the actual game itself...
They try to aid in the development, but they believe they are getting no where. Because of this, they have made their own fork so they can choose what goes in, instead of the bureaucracy.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

What do you think?

CC0 = license

Looks good for logo to me...

leetelate

by leetelate » Post

Linxx wrote:
dirt, sand and gravel will fall off the edges (try to build something ;)
)
why this?
ewwww! - nope - i love building sand houses because of the falling-sand difficulty, and what about my beautiful sand cliffs??? once disturbed, i have to wait for it to stop?

and now dirt is a falling node too?

sliipery is interesting....

freeminer, minetest, buildcraft and next are idea factories
Last edited by leetelate on Sat Nov 30, 2013 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
minetest 0.4.8 compiled from latest git on linux mint 15 with qjoypad and wired 360 controller
my minetest page is http://1337318.zymichost.com if zymic isn't down - meh, it is free...

leetelate

by leetelate » Post

freeminer forum account creation says "Sorry, you must wait longer to create an account." wtf?

meh i can read the fm (freeminer) forum and that is all i needed
Last edited by leetelate on Sat Nov 30, 2013 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

philipbenr wrote:http://i.imgur.com/wXvXJG3.png

What do you think?

CC0 = license

Looks good. Just what I had in mind for this fork. Nice work Phillip!
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Enke

by Enke » Post

philipbenr wrote:http://i.imgur.com/wXvXJG3.png

What do you think?

CC0 = license

I like it!
Lush8

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

GingerHunter797
In-game: GingerHunter797

by GingerHunter797 » Post

Freeminer is 99% lag free, is Minetest 99% lag free???
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/

GingerHunter797
In-game: GingerHunter797

by GingerHunter797 » Post

GingerHunter797 wrote:Freeminer is 99% lag free, is Minetest 99% lag free???
Ok, I just tested Freeminer out on the redcrab server and I have to say it is really noticable how smooth the gameplay is! At least for me it is. I think anyone running on a low to medium spec PC should be able to tell a difference. I havent tested with singleplayer yet...
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/

Linxx

by Linxx » Post

for me in singleplayer frames cap at 10-20fps
GingerHunter797 wrote:
Ok, I just tested Freeminer out on the redcrab server and I have to say it is really noticable how smooth the gameplay is! At least for me it is. I think anyone running on a low to medium spec PC should be able to tell a difference. I havent tested with singleplayer yet...

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

GingerHunter797 wrote:
AFAIK the claim of freeminer to be "lag free" refers to servers, so you cant notice it while running a client only.

xyz

by xyz » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
GingerHunter797 wrote:
AFAIK the claim of freeminer to be "lag free" refers to servers, so you cant notice it while running a client only.
https://github.com/freeminer/freeminer/ ... 486a004c11

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

Enke wrote:Also, who's working on it?
and what are differences for game-makers? except for more optimised stuff, i mean. function-wise, so to speak.
Last edited by Mito551 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

Enke

by Enke » Post

Mito551 wrote:
and what are differences for game-makers? except for more optimised stuff, i mean. function-wise, so to speak.
There are some new functions, and some new node definitions such as "hot, cold, melted"

To quote xyz on the freeminer forums:
xyz wrote:We plan to include more games (not just the one we develop but also ones developed by users) into release builds.
Last edited by Enke on Sat Nov 30, 2013 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
Lush8

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Enke wrote:
Mito551 wrote:
There are some new functions, and some new node definitions such as "hot, cold, melted"

To quote xyz on the freeminer forums:
xyz wrote:We plan to include more games (not just the one we develop but also ones developed by users) into release builds.
I also recommend that there be an option that toggles whether mud and sand can flow or not, just in case some players are afraid of what that might do to their creations.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

shouldn't this be in minetest-related projects? (now that everyone have seen the topic)
(i fully understand, that general discussion is a much better place for people to see the topic, so well done here regardless of intention.)

proller

by proller » Post

Freeminer 0.4.8.2 released!

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

proller wrote:Freeminer 0.4.8.2 released!
Is there a changelog? I haven't seen one...

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post