[Game] Minetest Game [minetest_game]

Lone_Wolf

GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf or Somebody

Re: [Game] Minetest Game [minetest_game]

by Lone_Wolf » Thu Aug 03, 2017 20:10

Lord_Vlad wrote:Just wanted to add something I find critical in your review : World generation :

World generation is quite good for the most part, but seriously lacks a sense of height. Some hills are nearly impossible to climb without making a stairway allong the sides of it and there is no well done flat land, even in the more grassy biomes. There are too many cliffs everywhere and in every biome.
But I guess that isn't specific to Minetest game. What is is that there is no good way to travel on large mountains and such. Not a climbing tool, not a vehicule, maybe ladders, but then you need a ton of them.

Other than that, I guess the subgames that would be included by default should be decided by some kind of vote in the community.

I just use the flat magpen and enable hills, rivers, and lakes.

v-rob

by v-rob » Fri Aug 04, 2017 05:08

MT Game can't be dropped completely. Nearly every mod is connected to MT Game. This would have needed to be dropped years ago.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:24

I didn't say to drop Minetest Game entirely. I just suggested to stop using and promoting it as the default subgame. Development of Minetest Game can still continue as usual, I wouldn't mind.
The only difference would be that Minetest Game would simply become a subgame like all others and lose its “special” status.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest. I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

Linuxdirk

GitHub: 4w
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Fri Aug 04, 2017 15:54

Lord_Vlad wrote:Other than that, I guess the subgames that would be included by default should be decided by some kind of vote in the community.

Best to me would be not providing any sub game but a properly browsable repository within the client that allows loading of subgames (and mods!) with one click and maybe some kind of rating system. This kind of "store" well known and widely used on mobile phones. And even Windows has a store now where you can load software.

0.4.10 had that for mods but it was removed for reasons I don't remember :)

Wuzzy wrote:The only difference would be that Minetest Game would simply become a subgame like all others and lose its “special” status.

As long as THIS is a fact ...

https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... ds/default

... "Minetest Game" can't be "degraded" to "one of multiple different subgames".
default has to be 100 percent separated from "Minetest Game" beforehand.

Lone_Wolf

GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf or Somebody

by Lone_Wolf » Fri Aug 04, 2017 16:10

What was the purpose of minimal_development? Why not replace that with a better MT_game with mobs & other things?

dawgdoc

GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Fri Aug 04, 2017 21:02

Lone_Wolf wrote:What was the purpose of minimal_development? Why not replace that with a better MT_game with mobs & other things?

Pretty sure the purpose of minimal_development is to be a test bed for developers working on mods.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Thu Aug 24, 2017 15:51

Wuzzy wrote:For people who are only interested in creative building, Minetest Game is already good. But there's still room for improvement. I still feel there could be more blocks, some ideas are simply unexplored. I think of snow/ice bricks. More walls, door, xpanes types. More cobblestone.

Co...cobb...cobblestone? Really? Please don't mention it in the context of creative building. There are too many horrible cobble boxes some players claim to be "houses" and which make you run away screaming. Seriously - using cobble *can* be justified, but it rarely is.

Builders need some other mods that make building easier (like i.e. my replacer mod). More diffrent blocks can bring inspiration but may also limit creativity in some ways. Protection mods or a server policy of not allowing griefing are necessary. Yet there is no universal mod that would fit all purposes. The protector mod seems to be easier to understand for new players, but is insufficient if your building grows beyound 10x10x10m, or if the area is tightly stuffed with protected areas. The areas mod is far more useful for builders. Thus, even for this relatively limited purpose (=protect buildings), there's no real optimal solution as to which mod ought to be shipped as default.

Wuzzy wrote:What is definitely missing are more uses for dye. Currently only wool can be colored. There are no colorful beds, brick blocks, wood, glass, stone …

I'm working on updating my colormachine. My morecolor mod already works quite nicely. It only changes paramtype2 to a color type and adds a palette. Painting grass proved to be a really bad idea. But many other blocks can be colored just fine. You get 8 colors (default one + 7 more) with the new colorfacedir feature at practically no cost. That's sufficient for many purposes. It ought to be added to MTG.

Wuzzy wrote:You can place ladders on the ceiling and on the ground and you can place ladders in front of other ladders so you will get floating ladders if you're not careful. This is super annoying

I think people use it deliberately sometimes.

Wuzzy wrote:You must point to signs to read their text. The sign is not visible otherwise

Annoying and a big problem, yes. Some mods fix that.

Wuzzy wrote:Bookshelves and vessels shelves are usable as storages for books and vessels with half the capacity. Seems pointless to me. There is zero reason to craft bookshelves or vessels shelves as storage. Making them usable as storage would make sense if they had at least some unique feature or difference compared to normal chests.

Well, it's not the most important feature of MT. It makes sense to be able to store those items in there, but in practice you usually won't do it because the shelves cannot be locked.

Lord_Vlad wrote:World generation is quite good for the most part, but seriously lacks a sense of height. Some hills are nearly impossible to climb without making a stairway allong the sides of it and there is no well done flat land, even in the more grassy biomes. There are too many cliffs everywhere and in every biome.

That depends on the mapgen you use. I prefer v6 as that seems to generate more naturally-looking terrain without strange overhangs. Flat land is still rare. A flat mapgen can also be enjoyable.

Lord_Vlad wrote:But I guess that isn't specific to Minetest game. What is is that there is no good way to travel on large mountains and such. Not a climbing tool, not a vehicule, maybe ladders, but then you need a ton of them.

There's at least one mod out there that allows to dig steps/ladders into stone. The rope box from the vines mod is also something that may help with getting down safely. Or the exciting parachute.

In general, regarding MTG and mods and subgames: The existence of subgames ought to be more prominently shown on the MT page and be advertised when starting the game. Searching through the forum in order to find a subgame that fits to the new player is far from beeing convenient. MTG ought to remain the base from which mods can work - and to some degree a game you can play at the beginning. New players may have to learn how to actually move around in that world, how to interact with it - it helps if there's not overly much in it.
A list of my mods can be found here.

SAMIAMNOT

In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Fri Sep 22, 2017 20:55

Are there any plans to add weather?
I test mines.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Wed Feb 14, 2018 00:51

Some of the ice-type biomes have ice that goes down rather deep into the ground. Maybe after 7 or so nodes deep it could be replaced with a new frozen stone of some kind (possibly with ores in it?) Also, could ores be added to desert stone and sandstone?

Previous

Return to Subgame Releases