Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: [Game] Tutorial [3.2.0]

by Blockhead » Post

citaconrama wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:10
Hi! I recently discovered minetest and I am trying to learn. But, since I am new to this world there are lots of questions and so many threads to read that I am not sure if they have been answered.

I really love the tutorial, it is amazing and it covers a lot of topics in a fun way. My main question about it is the following: did you build the castle node by node? Did you use worledit? Or maybe there is another tool I do not know about that makes the builder's life easier? How did you start, with a flat map? Or do you have any way to create the world with some script?

Thanks in advance! And again, thank you for the tutorial.
There's a document that describes the methodology. Look inside your minetest/.minetest -> games -> tutorial directory for the file DEVELOPERS.md (or a copy online here - usually available, down right now). In summary, it's built out of a set of schematic files that can be edited and re-saved, then uses a mod to generate flat terrain outside of the castle.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

citaconrama

by citaconrama » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 15:24
citaconrama wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:10
Hi! I recently discovered minetest and I am trying to learn. But, since I am new to this world there are lots of questions and so many threads to read that I am not sure if they have been answered.

I really love the tutorial, it is amazing and it covers a lot of topics in a fun way. My main question about it is the following: did you build the castle node by node? Did you use worledit? Or maybe there is another tool I do not know about that makes the builder's life easier? How did you start, with a flat map? Or do you have any way to create the world with some script?

Thanks in advance! And again, thank you for the tutorial.
There's a document that describes the methodology. Look inside your minetest/.minetest -> games -> tutorial directory for the file DEVELOPERS.md (or a copy online here - usually available, down right now). In summary, it's built out of a set of schematic files that can be edited and re-saved, then uses a mod to generate flat terrain outside of the castle.
Thank you for the response. I understand that the document tells you how to change the existing map. But I was wondering how the author creates the schematics. I have been investigating and I know minetest itself with worldedit, cubical.xyz or mtsedit. For me, all these ways are tedious, maybe it is just me and I should practise more. That is why I cannot imagine someone spending so much time building a castle and I wanted to know what the best way is.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I built the castle both "by hand" like you would build stuff in the game, and with the help of WorldEdit to change large areas faster. And the simple flat grass plains are automatically generated when the Tutorial is started, they are not part of the castle.

I started building from scratch.

dlshcbmuipmam

by dlshcbmuipmam » Post

Hi, thanks for the great tutorial.

I have already spent quite a long time in the tutorial world, but I only found 10 diamonds. Is it possible to get some hints about that? There was a video in this thread but it no longer works.

Edit: nvm, I decided to cheat and found the last two :)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The repository for Tutorial has been moved to codeberg.org.

You can find it here: https://codeberg.org/Wuzzy/Minetest_Tutorial.git

Wuzzy

Re: [Game] Tutorial [3.3.0]

by Wuzzy » Post

The Tutorial was unavailable on the ContentDB for months because of a technical rule violation. The mod names clashed with other games, which is not available. A few days ago, I finally got around to fix this problem and released version 3.3.0 with renamed mods.

With the rule violation gone, the Tutorial is finally approved again and can be downloaded from the Minetest "Content" tab again.

Wuzzy

Re: [Game] Tutorial [3.4.0]

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 3.4.0 released! The Tutorial is now up-to-date with Minetest 5.8.0.

Changelog:
  • Update outdated IRC link
  • Update "minetest" sign (Minetest Game is no longer default)
  • Update French translation (still not complete tho)
  • Hide the seed from "Create world" menu

A note about development: I don't think I want to work much on the Tutorial anymore. No major features or new "lessons". I think I will only do important maintenance stuff (like fixing outdated tutorial texts), but that's it.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

Yes,
it does its main job,

but when I see how much, or let write better HOW LESS player use it at me

I see one problem:
Whatever how old a tutorial server is, as the limit of 1 player it never can rank high to bee seen.

Those tutorial must seen easier, maybe
* offered better via client
* or shown extra top or near out of ranking.

Too much player still ask what to do here, or can't handle the basic movements and controls.

Client solution:
* Shown first until player know and can set a value turn it off.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I have been playing around with an idea of launching a completely new tutorial-like thing that would use a different approach. Most importantly, I would greatly reduce the walls of text and make it more interactive and open-ended. I would also touch not just on the absolute basics but on more obscure topics like the Sneak Glitch. And on my idea list is also multiplayer support.

But all of this doesn't have a high priority right now; games for Minetest start to diverge more and more from the "traditional" formula so a tutorial that works for all games will be harder and harder.

In the meanwhile, I just try to make sure this Tutorial stays up-to-date and doesn't contain wrong information.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

Yaeh,
but you are not responsible for OTHER games,
even minetest game is not hardcoded to engine anymore it is still the mayor basic !

Just clarify the tutorial is based on former minetest game basic
and focus on what is most important to learn
* movement ?
* dig / build ?
* open / close ?
* walk, run, turn, jump, sneak ?
... no idea, what some NEW player are missing when they enter a world.

AS
* What I have to do here ?
is still the most fun question I read !

Other games have to write their own tutorial then if they wanna fix into the hole system !
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)