[Game] Tutorial [3.4.0]

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.8.2]/[2.2.0]

by Wuzzy » Post

I don't recommend to use this on a server. It's not built for multiplayer.
It would need a major redesign just to support multiple players. The tutorial strongly depends on singleplayer mode.

The German translation is already completed.

AndroBuilder
In-game: AndroBuilder

by AndroBuilder » Post

What makes a difference to multi/singleplayer? what can cause problems? Would be nice to have this for Multiplayer Server in general ... so new users can learn on the server and not in private (where they would have to download and install this Tutorial Mod first ... which is easy for us ... but for german kids it might not be :) ^^ )

hajo

by hajo » Post

AndroBuilder wrote:What makes a difference to multi/singleplayer?
Essentially, the tutorial is a series of lessons/puzzles/quests, designed for one player.

In multiplayer, everybody can come at any time, do/solve any task, and grab rewards.
The tutorial doesn't keep track of who already did what.

To ensure that everybody learns all the lessons,
maybe have a look at skyblock ?

mcgt

by mcgt » Post

Hi Wuzzy and others - first of all, thank you (and all the other volunteers) who have spent time developing Minetest, along with mods and sub-games!

I'm an educator looking to add Minetest as a resource in my school's computer lab. (The lab has 24 stations, all newish macs running High Sierra.) . In a previous district I had used MineCraft Education Edition (the TeacherGaming version) before it was purchased by that big software company ;) Now MCEdu is out reach for a lot of districts in my area, but the creativity and collaborative team-work that MCEdu could draw out is something I miss and would like to offer my new students.

I've successfully installed a Mac version of Minetest and I've added your tutorial. The Minetest runs fine for each network user, But the tutorial only shows for the user under which I've added it. I think that is to be expected. I've read though some of the forums and I see there was an effort to get this bundled with the original package, but that hasn't happened so far.

So to my question...any advice on how to add your tutorial so that any network user has access to the subgame when I install it as the local admin to the machine? Is there a different folder location that would work for this?

Thanks!
Tim

AndroBuilder
In-game: AndroBuilder

by AndroBuilder » Post

I would still live the posibillity to have this tutorial world being setup so it can be importet into any server.
Every new user to the server will be asked if he wants to do the tutorial, if yes he will be teleportet to the tutorial-area and can look thru the quest. Once he is tired of the tutorial he can go to the exit where he will be teleportet to the standard spawn point
If no he can continue at the standard spawn point.

totya

by totya » Post

Hi!

My minetest version is minetest-0.4.17.1-win64. , tutorial version is 1.8.2

My problem, I read this text in this tutorial: "you can jump slightly higher while holding sneak key".

But isn't true. Is it a bug in the game or in the tutorial?

Thanks.

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

totya wrote:Hi!

My problem, I read this text in this tutorial: "you can jump slightly higher while holding sneak key".

Thanks.
Neither, it was true in older versions of the game but is not true for the current, and future, versions of the game. There is a way to enable this feature, I think instructions are in a thread in the News sub-forum.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

totya

by totya » Post

dawgdoc wrote:
totya wrote:Hi!

Thanks.
Neither, it was true in older versions of the game but is not true for the current, and future, versions of the game. There is a way to enable this feature, I think instructions are in a thread in the News sub-forum.
This is mean, this is a bug in the tutorial world, thank you!

Wuzzy

Version 1.8.3 released! Version 2.2.1 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

I have just released versions 1.8.3 and 2.2.1 to fix this bug.
The sign about “sneak-jumping” has disappeared.

totya

Re: Version 1.8.3 released! Version 2.2.1 released!

by totya » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I have just released versions 1.8.3 and 2.2.1 to fix this bug.
The sign about “sneak-jumping” has disappeared.
Hi!

Thank you. And how can I solve this?

Wuzzy

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.8.3]/[2.2.1]

by Wuzzy » Post

Ah, crap. You are supposed to sneak your way at the ledge, but this trick no longer works. This is another bug. >_>

Anyway, right now, you could still reach the gold bar without cheating. Just take some blocks from the Mining section and place them there to climb up. :D

Looks like I have to do a deeper look on the Tutorial then. A lot of things have changed in Minetest.

Wuzzy

Version 2.3.0 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

I have made a major overhaul of the tutorial and finally fixed the biggest bug (broken item spawning) in the version 2 series.

This means I can now finally release version 2.3.0!

Changelog:
  • Fix spawning of items
  • Make gold bar in sneaking section easier to reach
  • Add background music track: “СДП (средневековая тема 1)” by Alexandr Zhelanov
  • Since version 2, the world is self-contained and no longer shipped separately. Tutorial World can be generated (and re-created) like a normal world
  • Add water, metal and hurt sounds
  • Generate simple grasslands around the castle (only in new worlds)
  • Make a couple of changes to the castle's exterior
  • Change term “subgame” to game
  • Fix outdated/broken URLs
  • Remove mention of Cinematic Mode (no more default keybinding)
  • Update a couple of other texts
  • Add README.md
  • Replace all occurences of WTFPL with MIT License

Wuzzy

Version 2.4.0 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 2.4.0 released!

Changelog:
  • Add teleport feature in inventory menu to teleport to most places instantly
  • Make blocks breakable in Creative Mode
  • Remember music state (on/off) after restarting the tutorial

Wuzzy

Re: [Game] Tutorial [2.5.0]

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 2.5.0 released!

Changelog:
  • Add loudspeaker blocks, rightclick them to toggle music (note: you can always toggle music in inventory menu)
  • Add proper arrow sign wield images
  • Make torches and ladders attached
  • Set world start time to 12'o clock

boomboompsh

by boomboompsh » Post

On Minetest 0.41.7, Tutorial Version 2.5.0, gold ingots outside of chests simply do not ever appear.

boomboompsh

by boomboompsh » Post

The spawned variable is set to 1 in all the item spawners, it seems. And the on_construct method doesn't get called when loading the map, which would set the spawned variable to 0. Then again, when I manually construct an itemspawner in creative mode, it doesn't work either.
I can fix it in a manner that breaks the itemspawner debugging though, so I did that. (deletes spawner on item creation no matter what). It works well enough for hunting down the diamonds

Wuzzy

Version 2.5.1

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 2.5.1 released!

This fixes gold ingots and other items not spawning in the tutorial. Sorry for the inconvenience! I screwed up completely. :-(

alparaz
GitHub: alparaz
IRC: Al rafi
In-game: alparaz

Re: [Game] Tutorial [2.5.1] no Indonesian

by alparaz » Post

hi, I downloaded the tutorial version 2.5.0. but I see that my language (Indonesia) doesn't exist. So I beg you to add my language. If you have an Indonesian translation, just ask me.
sorry with my english (i use google translate)

Wuzzy

Re: [Game] Tutorial [2.5.1]

by Wuzzy » Post

Actually, there is an Indonesian translation, but it is incomplete. Not everything is translated.

To make sure the translation works, your system language must be set to “Indonesian” (id) before you launch Minetest. Also set the Minetest language to Indonesian.

If you want to help to improve the Indonesian translation, I will gladly merge your work, no matter if it's partial or complete.

Here's how it works:
In each mod, there is a folder named “locale”. You can translate the file named “id.txt”.
It works like this:
Most lines have an English orignal text and an equals sign. Simply write the translation after the equals sign.
If a line starts with “#”, it is a comment for you and does not need to be changed.
Always make sure to test your translation, to make sure that nothing is broken.

If you need help, you can always talk to me in IRC: #minetest in irc.freenode.net.

But keep in mind that it is possible I will change the texts in future versions, especially when there will be new features in Minetest so I have to write new texts.

tomlukeywood
IRC: tomlukeywood
In-game: tomlukeywood

by tomlukeywood » Post

Some of the button names seem to have changed since the overlay was last updated
I have made a modified version if it is useful:
Attachments
overlay.png
overlay.png (10.4 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
InfoScreen.zip
(8.31 KiB) Downloaded 135 times

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Can you make this available under contentdb? There are players reporting issues with the current version and having trouble installing it under minetest-5.0.0.

Wuzzy

Re: [Game] Tutorial [3.0.0]

by Wuzzy » Post

Current status of the tutorial:

The latest version of the Tutorial is 3.0.0.
It works in Minetest 5.0.0 or later.

You can obtain the Tutorial from the Content DB. Just click on the “Content” tab in Minetest, from there you can find and download the latest version. Have fun!

Drachenbauer32

by Drachenbauer32 » Post

Hello
Is there any where a guide, how to find all diamonds in the tutorial-castle?

Edit:
Now i found ome:
https://goblinrefuge.com/mediagoblin/u/ ... -location/

the following stuff is for the creator of the tutorial-castle:

And something i noticed, that may be better fixed:
In the castle there is a wooden building with much straw in it (only reachable with building blocks)
Here all actual wooden blocks can be chopped with an axe (the remaining are the insides of the black roof).
Maybe it´s better to create undestroyable wooden blocks for this.

A tip for the roofs:
build the flat roof blocks always while looking towards the rooftop to have the texture oriented like the stair-shaped roof-blocks next to them.
For the black roof of the house with the straw inside:
create the side, that points towards the straw-place as a mirrores copy of the other side to make it look nice finished.
For the red roof of the crafting-house:
You can use a horizontal tree-trunk as the rooftop to separate the two different facings of the flat roof-blocks

And i noticed, the down facing arrow sign above the entrance to the building-roon has no translations.
Hpw can i add them?
Last edited by Drachenbauer32 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Thanks for your post.
But tbh, I don't consider these things to be real problems. Players are not supposed to reach the straw room anyway. And even if you dig all the wood, you don't really break the tutorial. I even thought to restrict building to the building area only, but I thought of it as a bit too harsh.
But thanks for noticing it. Yes, it's a bit stupid, but not really a problem IMO. Yes, there are ways to screw around in the Tutorial, but it takes intentional effort to actually break it. I could try and track down every possible way to break the tutorial but it's not worth it.

Yes, your suggestion of making a 2nd wood would obviously fix the problem.

I'm too lazy to fix this now as I need to alter the world, which is always tricky. Good ideas on making the buildings look pretty, but again, I'm just too lazy.

Anyway, I consider the tutorial finished and don't plan to make any major changes. Only important (!) bugfixes.

For anyone interested in learning how the tutorial world is generated, there is a file called “DEVELOPERS.md”, a simple text file that explains how it works.

Drachenbauer32

by Drachenbauer32 » Post

i saw theese just as suggestions to make the tutorial a bit better.
And with building blocks any spot in the castle is reachable.
some of the diamonds may be unreachable, if building is only possible in the building-area.
I think, it´s ok to explore the whoole castle by building blocks as stairs (z.b. to find all the diamonds).
So it´s also ok, if players reach the straw-room this way.

And i noticed, the down facing arrow sign above the entrance to the building-area has no translations.
How can i add them?

And where can i find the developers md?