[Game] Tutorial [3.4.0]

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [2.1.0]

by Wuzzy » Post

Godo, your comments are appreciated, I will consider that for follow-up versions.

For your two questions:
- Yes, it is not possible to crawl. The player is always about 2 blocks high, and you can not fit through a 1×1×1 hole
- Where to find crafitng recipes: Sadly, there is no built-in mechanic to obtain those crafting recipes. It depends on the subgame. Minetest's crafting mechanic is (in my opinion) a huge pile of shit and an usability desaster.
For Minetest Game, you can find all crafting recipes in the Community Wiki. Yeah, I know, it sucks that you have to look in a wiki in the first place. Alternatively, there are many crafting guide mods out there, just search the forums. If you install one of them, it allows you to see all available crafting recipes in-game. That something like this is not a core feature is beyond belief for me.

Also, the gold bar count issue is already fixed in the development version.

I am glad to hear that the Tutorial worked on a newbie. I have waited for a review by a newbie. Other reviews are of course appreciated as well, especially from newbies.

Thanks for your translation, but sadly I came too late and the files are already lost.
You can upload your translations by using “Upload attachment” while posting. Ideally you just put everything into a Zip file.

Godo
In-game: Godo

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.8.2]/[2.1.0]

by Godo » Post

Thanks for the tip about attaching files, I was using the "quick reply" option so far, so I had not seen the "upload attachment" option. Here goes the translation for Spanish, and I'll be glad to help you out if you add more things to your tutorial, my kids and I had a great time taking turns to play with it, looking for all the hidden gold.

I've already found one of the crafting guides you mentioned, so that's solved, thanks for the tip, too.

I have a silly question about the pools with the different liquids. Is there a way to know which one is what? We noticed that some were thicker than others (they had more viscosity), but I have no idea what they could be (quicksand? mud? oil?)
Attachments
tutorial_es.zip
Spanish translation for Tutorial World
(27.93 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The pools contain mud and water, but it really doesn't matter as those are just examples.

The easiest way to learn the viscosity of a liquid is by walking into it. Slow speed means high viscosity.

There is no built-in way to get the name of a block you haven't collected, sorry.

The gold was not supposed to be hidden, I hope it was not too hard to get all of them.

I also try to include the new translation as soon as possible. Also, I should release a new version of the tutorial for Minetest 0.4.14 sooner or later. Sadly, Tutorial version 2.1.0 is broken at the moment, so it is still not official. This means, version 1.8.2 is still the official one.

Godo

Disappearing items

by Godo » Post

Hi again, Wuzzy. As you know, I am rather new here, but after using your wonderful tutorial I have decided I enjoy more the didactic work than the creative one, so I am writing a tutorial that will teach newbies, after they have learned the basics of Minetest in your tutorial, how to craft basic tools, build a house with a minimum of tools, use basic commands and install a couple of mods which I have found useful.

My problem is that I want to drop certain items (gold ingots, sticks,...) to be found or point out to certain places, but after they have been lying around for some time, they disappear.

I was beginning to suspect it might be because I am switching from creative mode (to craft books with explanations, mainly) to non-creative mode (to test how things work). Then I read in one of your first posts in this thread that you had had the same problem as me, so I have two questions:

1. Do you know if this switching between modes could be the reason for the disappearing items?
2. How did you solve this problem in your tutorial?

(Thank you so much for all the time and effort that goes into answering my questions, by the way ;-)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Items disappear automatically after a while, this is done for technical reasons. If item entities would not be removed from time to time, the Minetest world would soon be crowded with them so there may be an performance impact after a while. At least that's the theory. It has nothing to do with switching modes.

But this behavior can be disabled by adding this into minetest.conf:

Code: Select all

item_entity_ttl = -1
Note: From now on, I will ignore all general support queries (stuff which is not related to the Tutorial) in this thread. Please use the general support forums for this.

ph8jPf9M
GitHub: 22i

by ph8jPf9M » Post

i got a problem when clicking the download link it shows Account Suspended.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Okay, download should work again.

danielwbn

by danielwbn » Post

Hi Wuzzy, the file server account seems to be suspended again. Could you fix that for me?

Cheers, Daniel

m8ii

Link

by m8ii » Post

2016-12-02 17:20:25: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer places node default:furnace at (402,-47,349)

hajo

Re: Link

by hajo » Post

m8ii wrote:Link in first page http://holzgolz.heliohost.org/data/game ... l1.8.2.zip doesn't work.
How about hosting that stuff on github ?

m8ii

Re: Link

by m8ii » Post

hajo wrote:
m8ii wrote:Link in first page http://holzgolz.heliohost.org/data/game ... l1.8.2.zip doesn't work.
How about hosting that stuff on github ?
Hithub is ok. Attachment in this forum is ok.
2016-12-02 17:20:25: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer places node default:furnace at (402,-47,349)

m8ii

13 or 14

by m8ii » Post

Version 1.8.0
It writes: there are 14 gold ingots in this tutorial.
But tutorial.gold = 13.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

m8ii: Version 1.8.0 is not supported anymore, sorry. But the bug is fixed in 2.1.0. I only provide the older version because the later version has a very dumb bug which (sadly) prevents the gold ingots and other items to appear. This is the only reason why I haven't thrown the earlier version away a long time ago.

And I fear, because of an engine bug (or maybe bad communication/documentation?), this is not going to change anytime soon. :-( As soon as I (or a helper) manage to fix this stupidly stupid bug I might start to care about the tutorial again. ;-)

Note to potential translators: I might consider a major rewrite of all tutorial texts in later versions, because one user complained about hard-to-understand texts (“academic” language).

PS: The Spanish translation which was posted a while ago is now merged.

m8ii

by m8ii » Post

Can someone share file tutorial1.8.2.zip? In attachment in this forum is ok.

Godo

Academic language

by Godo » Post

"Academic language"? Did he mean that you sound like a teacher trying to explain a very complex thing? In my humble opinion, it is perfectcly clear and informative as it is, I imagine the person who complained about that was very lazy (but then I doubt they could be bothered to write to you to complain) or very young.

If very young people want to learn to play a complex game, I don't think it will harm them to practise extracting information from a complex text. They will have to spend most of their adult lives doing just that when reading about a medication's side effects, the tax forms, the electricity bills, the newspapers, the politicians' speeches,... Maybe their parents could give them a hand, too, and therefore learn what their children are up to with their computers. I can only see advantages (but then I am an interested party, and lazy, too, because I don't want to have to do another translation into Spanish ;-).

Whatever your decision, I feel grateful for your tutorial, and you can count on me again if you need me to translate again.

hajo

by hajo » Post

Wuzzy wrote: I also try to include the new translation as soon as possible.
Also, I should release a new version of the tutorial for Minetest 0.4.14 sooner or later.
Sadly, Tutorial version 2.1.0 is broken at the moment, so it is still not official.
I tried to run Tutorial-2.1.0 with the new minetest-0.4.14_8a7dc83, it crashed with these errors:

2016-12-12: WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "intllib" accessed at ...4.14_8a7dc83\bin\..\games\tutorial\mods\intllib\init.lua:3
2016-12-12: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from E:\temp\minetest-0.4.14_8a7dc83\bin\..\games\tutorial\mods\intllib\init.lua:
2016-12-12: ERROR[Main]: ...minetest-0.4.14_8a7dc83\bin\..\builtin\common\strict.lua:9: core.global_exists: nil is not a string
2016-12-12: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-12-12: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'error'
2016-12-12: ERROR[Main]: 	...minetest-0.4.14_8a7dc83\bin\..\builtin\common\strict.lua:9: in function 'global_exists'
2016-12-12: ERROR[Main]: 	...4.14_8a7dc83\bin\..\games\tutorial\mods\intllib\init.lua:3: in main chunk
Easy workaround: remove/comment-out this line in tutorial/mods/intllib/init.lua :

-- Support the old multi-load method
--if not minetest.global_exists(intllib) then intllib = {} end

atlasmoon
In-game: atlasmoon

by atlasmoon » Post

Hi team

Using UBUNTU

Please, I am new to the game. I tried as asked to download Tutorial from the link
Download: tutorial1.8.2.zip (for Minetest 0.4.13 and later)
But the link is not working. So I tried to download the testing version
Download development version (for testing only): tutorial2.1.0.zip (for Minetest 0.4.14)
And I was able to download it, but after I unziped it, it didn't showed up in the game interface. After some searching and reading in IRC, I created a subfolder named game and moved the unziped folder (2.1.0) to it, then it showed in the interface.
But now when I create a new game and start it, I found myself in the air falling, then it show me a message
You somehow managed to fall from the castle or got otherwise below it
Then I keep falling in the void and receiving the same error message. Please help.
Note please that after installing the game, there was no folder as mentionned in the IRC, AND UNZZIPING THE SUBGAME DIDN'T CREAT ANY. SO I HAD TO CREAT A "GAME" FOLDER.
Thanks for reading and helping :)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Oh crap, the download was indeed broken. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. I totally forgot my server went bust. OK, I updated the main download link for 1.8.2 now.
Here you go: http://playmaniax.free.fr/tutorial1.8.2.zip

Please put this into the directory as instructed in the wiki: http://wiki.minetest.net/Subgames/Tutorial#Guide (Here the mentioned directory is correct.)

Note the development version is buggy and experimental and NOT official, so bugs like these are to be expected. But this bug is still very bad, I look into it. :-/ The wiki help only refers for the official version. But I have updated the wiki anyway, to avoid confusion.

I would love to hear your feedback after you completed the tutorial. :-)

atlasmoon
In-game: atlasmoon

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.8.2]/[2.2.0]

by atlasmoon » Post

Thanks Wuzzy, it is working (1.8.2).
My problem with version 2.1.0 is that in zip it wasn't structured as games and worlds (folders), so it didn't work for me.
Again, appreciate your help and prompt response.
Gonna check tutorial world now :)
Regards

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Post

Wuzzy wrote:the later version has a very dumb bug which (sadly) prevents the gold ingots and other items to appear. This is the only reason why I haven't thrown the earlier version away a long time ago.

And I fear, because of an engine bug (or maybe bad communication/documentation?), this is not going to change anytime soon. :-( As soon as I (or a helper) manage to fix this stupidly stupid bug I might start to care about the tutorial again. ;-)
Ideally the issue should be fixed in the engine. But in the meantime, if you want to use the mapgen version, it works fine if the entities to be added are checked periodically in a radius around each player, instead of on mapgen load.

Check out my branch at: https://github.com/Ferk/minetest_tutorial/tree/items
The item entities should be loading fine there. It also uses a different approach, overriding the item entity definition. I think this might partially solve the problem of "/tsave_items" too.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I stopped reading after

minetest.register_entity(":__builtin:item", {
This is a no-go. As you said, this thing should be fixed in the engine.

flauta

by flauta » Post

I just began translating Tutorial subgame in italian, but I don't understand if the two versions 1.8.2 and 2.2.0 come with different templates. Can older 1.8.2 use the newer versions' translation template?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Don't bother with the old version, it will be retired as soon the item entity bug has been fixed.

flauta

by flauta » Post

Maybe I found a mis-typing in the "smelt" sign text at line 257:

The time depends on the fuel type.\nome fuels burn very short, and other burn longer.
Is there a missing S after \n ?

fstltna
GitHub: fstltna
IRC: MarisaG
In-game: MarisaG

by fstltna » Post

Is this working yet? Really want to add it...
---- https://MineCity.online - Fan site for Minetest - get Minetest Hosting with first month FREE & $14/month after that
---- https://discord.gg/Bd4Xw9c - Minecity Discord Server - Join today!
---- http://MineCity.online:2000 - Get a free @minecity.online email address