[Game] Tutorial [3.4.0]

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.7.0]

by Gael de Sailly » Post

I propose some improvements :
  • Adding the area mod ; I've defined 20 areas owned by singleplayer. The aim is not to learn managing areas, but only to tell the player where it is.
  • This concept of linked world and subgame is not handy. You have to reinstall the world if you want to restart. I've thought about making a mapgen in the subgame which will reproduce exactely the same castle every time. So we could simply delete the world, create a new one, and the castle is generated. I've tried to make it from schematics, the castle is fully generated, but there aren't objects and metadata.
    The number of objects and metadatas isn't huge, we can solve it from a list of objects and blocs which have metadata.
But i've tried it "embodying" a noob, and it's very good. The castle is welcoming, and I like the concept of non-linear progression, we aren't bored. This is exactely what we lack to attract new players. It would be nice to add it in Minetest by default.

( Sorry if my English is not good :-)
Attachments
Areas mod for Tutorial.zip
(22.96 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Last edited by Gael de Sailly on Mon Feb 09, 2015 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

I've forgotten another issue : it's not fully translated into French.
I'll translate it today.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Gael de Sailly, your contributions are to the tutorial appreciated.

I have tested your modified areas mod and it works OK so far, aside from some minor issues:
  1. Oddly, the swimming section does not reach into the pool itself
  2. The label is drawn on the hotbar when the resolution is too small
  3. Nothing of the area mod is translatable so far
  4. The areas mod is quite large (100 KiB), and I probably must get this entire tutorial under 1 MiB to be included. Not an easy task.
I can fix issues 2 and 3, but can you please try to fix 1? Thanks.
Maybe I also rewrite the areas mod to fix issue 4, a lot of code can be safely thrown away IMO.

Gael de Sailly wrote:I've forgotten another issue : it's not fully translated into French.
I'll translate it today.
Thanks!

This concept of linked world and subgame is not handy. You have to reinstall the world if you want to restart. I've thought about making a mapgen in the subgame which will reproduce exactely the same castle every time. So we could simply delete the world, create a new one, and the castle is generated. I've tried to make it from schematics, the castle is fully generated, but there aren't objects and metadata.
The number of objects and metadatas isn't huge, we can solve it from a list of objects and blocs which have metadata.
This has been already discussed to death and I have stated several times that this is not going to happen. I rather expect the engine to do the work.
Discussion about integrating the tutorial into Minetest is here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10312

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Oddly, the swimming section does not reach into the pool itself
Fixed. I've updated the download.
I've defined each area by 2 corners of it, and forgotten that the swimming pool is 4 blocks below the floor level.
But I know I haven't forgotten it for Diving, Viscosity, Waterfall and Mine.
Wuzzy wrote:The areas mod is quite large (100 KiB), and I probably must get this entire tutorial under 1 MiB to be included. Not an easy task.
We can remove important parts of it because the only interesting feature is that the area is displayed.
I wrote:I've forgotten another issue : it's not fully translated into French.
I'll translate it today.
It's more work than I thought. And it's sometimes ambiguous. If there are francophones here, how do you translate "Sneak", for example ? Should I keep the English word ?

I've translated… maybe 30% , but I haven't spend all the afternoon on it. I'll probably work more tomorrow.
It's not easy to manage a lot of projects at the same time with one brain !

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Please tell me all ambiguities you encounter, I will add comments to the template files for disambiguation.

“Sneaking” is a tricky word, because it actually is a special concept which applies to Minetest. It is almost some sort of technical term.
The most basic way to paraphrase “sneaking” in Minetest is simply “to walk slowly and carefully”, but not neccessarily silent (step sound still plays). The basic features of sneaking are exactly that: You walk more slowly, and you won't drop off edges.

Wuzzy

Version 1.8.0 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 1.8.0 is out!

This version comes with the suggested change of Gael de Sailly, thanks!

The current section where the player is currently in is shown in the upper right corner of the screen.
It says something like “You are here: Start room”.
I have tweaked some of the areas and I have stripped down the areas mod to its neccessary parts only.
The section names are also translatable and have already been translated into German.

Note to celeron55: If I would have packaged this tutorial in .tar.xz, the archive would be < 1 MiB.
Attachments
tutorial1.8.0.zip
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 24788 times

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.8.0]

by Don » Post

It would be hard to get this under 1mb. Instead of trying to reduce the size what if the tutorial is not included but instead just have a link. In the main menu there could be a "download tutorial" link. That way you do not sacrifice quality and the user has the choice.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Don wrote:It would be hard to get this under 1mb.
The problem is that the map is heavy (3.7 MB). The .zip compression is very effective on it, it reduces it to 549 kB.
I've thought about generating the map from schematics. I've generated 4 .mts schematics from which we can recreate the world (it works), and they take only 23 kB together (14 kB in a .zip).

I'm sure that we can do it !

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I will not believe you until I have seen said MTS files. :P

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I will not believe you until I have seen said MTS files. :P
If you really want it, they are there :-)

Just create a new world with Tutorial game and activate this mod.
Yes, there isn't any dropped item, the signs, chests, furnaces don't work, but at least the castle is there.
Attachments
tuto_mapgen.zip
(14.97 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

You would have to modify the parser to do that.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Well, I am impressed that you managed to somehow squeeze the world into 21 KiB, not bad. Well, but some code has still to be written for the rest, sure.

Probably I will talk to celeron55 again to see if it is needed or if the packaged .tar.xz archive alone would be enough.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

I think that the map wasn't limited to the castle, and so there was huge empty chunks stored in map.sqlite.
The schematics are limited to (-32, -32, -32)(127, 47, 127) and they don't include the air.

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

I think there is a code to do that, but I forget where is it, sorry.
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

Green_Gear

by Green_Gear » Post

Now, I know you guys are going to yell at me for being stupid (if this thread is still being updated), but I can't get the tutorial to work.

The wiki says 'Download the tutorial package, the link is in this forum thread...', and I followed the link and got the .zip file. Then the wiki says 'Depending on your operating system, you have to extract the Zip archive in to the following directory: [Windows] into the main program folder in which you have installed Minetest.'

This is where I run into problems. Now, when I downloaded MineTest, I put it in C:/MineTest like was recommended. I put the unzipped tutorial in there, and then ran the program. The tutorial button didn't show up.

Next, I tried putting it in the minetest-0.4.12 folder. It didn't work either. Next, I tried the games folder. That didn't work. Finally, I tried the mods folder. That worked... but it just listed it as a mod under the mod tab.

Also, damage was on, creative mode was off, and I was trying to access it through singleplayer. Am I supposed to restart my computer after installing the game, or is this tutorial just out of date?

Thanks

Don

by Don » Post

There should be 2 folders that you unzipped, games and worlds. Those folders go into your minetest folder like you described. When you open minetest there should be a link at the bottom of the menu called tutorial. If the link is not there then you did not put both folders in the right spot.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The “Minetest folder” under Windows should be the folder which contains minetest.exe and the folders “games” and “worlds”. If you have found this folder, this is the right place to extract the zip file into.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

That's why it should be in Minetest by default. It's difficult for a new player to install it properly.

Green_Gear

by Green_Gear » Post

Thanks, Don. I forgot that Windows automatically puts extracted files into their own folders. I opened the Windows created folder and put the two folders into their correct places. The tutorial is working correctly now. Completely my bad. Sorry.

Don

by Don » Post

Green_Gear wrote:Thanks, Don. I forgot that Windows automatically puts extracted files into their own folders. I opened the Windows created folder and put the two folders into their correct places. The tutorial is working correctly now. Completely my bad. Sorry.
That's great to hear

namandixit
GitHub: namandixit
In-game: namandixit

by namandixit » Post

On Linux Mint 17.1 64-bit with Minetest 0.4.9, I recieve this error:

Code: Select all

ERROR: ...$HOME/.minetest/games/tutorials/mods/default/player.lua:146: attempt to call method 'set local animation' (a nil value)
Any pointers why this might be happening? (I am a newcomer to minetest and not familiar with the nitty-gritty details right now)
Also, the error message displays

set local animation
instead of

set_local_animation
is this expected?

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

namandixit wrote:On Linux Mint 17.1 64-bit with Minetest 0.4.9, I recieve this error:
Get the latest Minetest. Here's a script for building it from source.

namandixit
GitHub: namandixit
In-game: namandixit

by namandixit » Post

Calinou wrote: Get the latest Minetest.
Thanks. Small things...

Spenk
In-game: Spenk

by Spenk » Post

Hi Wuzzy,

My kids love Minetest. So I decided to translate your tutorial world to dutch.
Well actually they learn faster than I translate, but I'm sure there are other people who can benefit.

I chose to explain the english mining terms instead of just plainly translating them, because in the end they will keep popping up in subgames anyway.
Furthermore, I decided to use an informal tone, which is more friendly to my kids and probably more like dutch nature and gaming nature in general, but it does not comply with the german (siezen) and the french (vouvoyer) translations.

As for the german translation, I keep seeing those garbage characters for diacritics (Umlaut) in gameplay and in the repo. Probably that is just an encoding problem, but I don't have any problems with my dutch diacritics while playing the game. So, if the messy encoding isn't a fix for some older version of intllib, I'm willing to adjust it in the german translation.

The files:
area: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691900/
arrow_signs: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691946/
castle: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691954/
cottages: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691960/
creative: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691977/
darkage: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691982/
default: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691989/
supplemental: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691993/
tutorial: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10691998/

Cheers,

Henk

(Next time I'll setup SSH to your repo .. this pasting around is time consuming)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

As for the german translation, I keep seeing those garbage characters for diacritics (Umlaut) in gameplay and in the repo. Probably that is just an encoding problem, but I don't have any problems with my dutch diacritics while playing the game. So, if the messy encoding isn't a fix for some older version of intllib, I'm willing to adjust it in the german translation.
Weird. I can't reproduce this problem. Does anybody else have a problem with this?
I chose to explain the english mining terms instead of just plainly translating them, because in the end they will keep popping up in subgames anyway.
I don't quite understand what exactly you did there. Or why. Which terms are you talking about?
Also, I think that English should not dominate everything. If your language has a proper way to express a certain concept, then use this instead of forcing English into it.
Please try to avoid changing the meaning of the text while translating. If you are somehow unhappy with the original English strings, please complain and maybe suggest an alternative. If you “fix” the problem in your translation, all other translations including the original text do not benefit from this “fix”.
Furthermore, I decided to use an informal tone, which is more friendly to my kids and probably more like dutch nature and gaming nature in general, but it does not comply with the german (siezen) and the french (vouvoyer) translations.
Well, it depends. I suggest you use the same tone as is used for the Dutch translation of the engine (if there is any). Apart from that, I don't care very much, just try to keep it consistent.

If you have clarified all this, I may include all this into the tutorial. But I try to not stay too much in the way here.