Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Version 1.1.0 released

by Wuzzy » Post

OK, here’s version 1.1.0.
This is just a small release. Changelog:
  • Fixed typos reported by Calinou (all signs updated)
  • Fallout happens on Y < -12
  • Fallout does not happen when creative mode is on
  • Special message appears at start when tutorial is started in creative mode

Replies:

@twoelk and MaxPower: Hmm, sounds interesting. I “just” need to include WorldEdit, lol.
Also, not only the blocks need to be loaded, also the item entities must be at their right place. I fear this could mess up and the items fall down or something like this.

@Calinou: I agree the world could be more decorated, especially when it comes to block types. I already intended to do so. Maybe I’ll do it later. For this I want to find some non-default blocks and maybe create some new textures, just for flavor. And thanks for your other input. I just found the “to”/“too” mistake only on those two signs you reported.

Edit:
Oh, about “resetting” the tutorial, I have written about a different approach here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9103#p156055

About the “Dummy” backend idea: This is a bad idea since players can’t save their world state anymore. As soon as they leave the tutorial, everything is gone.

MaxPower

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.1.0]

by MaxPower » Post

I do agree with Napiophelios, you should use Achievements when the player collect the gold ingot. You could also create your gold ingot to be different (but look identical) that way you can detect what the achievement is for.

An other idea would be to use a way-point system, I got lost at one point not knowing in what direction I was meant to go

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

Wuzzy, you include .git folder in arrow_signs folder. It makes the file a little bit bigger.
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

I would be glad to add more decorations to the world. It is a little bland as it is. EDIT: It is an amazing tutorial though, and I would love to see this included with minetest.
Back from the dead!

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

Re: Version 1.1.0 released

by twoelk » Post

Wuzzy wrote:OK, here’s version 1.1.0.
cool as always :-)
Wuzzy wrote: @twoelk and MaxPower: Hmm, sounds interesting. I “just” need to include WorldEdit, lol.
to place schematics? I don't think so. Aren't for example some trees in some mapgen-mods schematics that are placed on mapgen? Don't know about the entities though. How are mobs spawned in other mods? I wonder if Sokomine's villages place entities, can't remember.

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

I just played through the whole thing, and I still haven't found all the diamonds. This is probably the best map that anyone has ever made for minetest. Great job! :-)
Back from the dead!

Wuzzy

Version 1.2.0 released

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 1.2.0 is there! See the attachment.
This is mostly a cosmetic update, the tutorial itself has not changed at all. At least I hope so; if something broke, please report a bug. But it is a BIG cosmetic update.

Day mode:

Night mode:

Changelog:
  • Complete overhaul of the looks of Tutorial World
  • Redesigned the exterior of the crafting house
  • Added some trees on the outside
  • Added some kind of stable (it is next to the Good-Bye room and 100% cosmetic)
  • Added a couple of other small details everywhere (maybe I post screenshots in the screenshot thread, in the meantime, download it for yourselves. ;-))
  • Removed needless .git directory from arrow_signs (were just a few kibibyte, whatever)
I used the following mods for this, all have been stripped down massively:
  • [darkages] (WTFPL)
  • [cottages] (GPLv3)
  • Castles+ [castle] (GPLv3)
If hope the GPLv3 is not a problem for bundling with Minetest. But if it is, I hope I can work out a solution somehow.
In the meanwhile, you can always fall back to 1.1.0, which should be safe.

PS:
Spoiler
Yay! Finally someone found a hidden diamond! I already started to think nobody would find any diamond. =)
Attachments
tutorial1.2.0.zip
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 166 times
Last edited by Wuzzy on Fri Oct 03, 2014 02:25, edited 1 time in total.

oleastre
GitHub: oleastre
In-game: oleastre

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.2.0]

by oleastre » Post

I played it yesterday, and I would like to try it with my kids... But as we are French speaking, it would be difficult for them to understand anything.

I can probably add intlib support and prepare a french translation, if it's not already in your todo list.

The only question is how to send you some patch for your tutorial ? do you have a git repository somewhere ?

deasanta
GitHub: deasanta
IRC: deasanta
In-game: deasanta

by deasanta » Post

Thanks for updated version.

You can read and set minetest settings during the game. If you do not get the desired result at that point in the code find another location earlier in the execution to disable creative mode.

Well done !

Code: Select all

elseif(minetest.setting_getbool("creative_mode")) then
		minetest.setting_set("creative_mode", 0)

twoelk

by twoelk » Post

/me likes ++

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

@oleastre
i agree with your idea, im french and a french translation is a good things, and generally the support of every languages is a good things... But, implementation is difficult, or not ?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Implementation of I18N is rather simple and straightforward, actually. I already used intllib. It is just a lot of work which needs to be done. =)
I just need to clean up my own little code mess, but that’s also nothing to serious.

I also throught of adding I18N support. Intllib is a good idea.
Intllib is only useful for singleplayer, but since the Tutorial is only for singleplayer, it should be fine. :-)
But intllib is also a bit buggy, for example, it does not support 3-letter ISO codes atm. But I IMO intllib is the best solution we have right now, so I take it.

I will work on it later and hopefully I have published a Git repository by the time (sorry I totally forgot Git this time).

But in the long run, I think Minetest really needs a core mechanic to enable mod translation. It’s really a pity that Minetest does not support that now (except indirectly for singleplayer).

@desanta: Oh, can creative mode be toggled on-the-fly? Remember, just because there’s setting_set does not mean that the setting is also immediately active. Minetest’s setting system is a bit of a mess. I need to think about how to handle creative mode. I don’t want to toss it out completely right now, because I am still developing this.

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

isnt it possible to only use the world folder, with minetest_game, and copy all mods into the worldmods folder?

its just a idea

twoelk

by twoelk » Post

iirc the idea is to have some default stuff dissabled so unless it works as a worldgame ...

deasanta

by deasanta » Post

Wuzzy wrote: Oh, can creative mode be toggled on-the-fly?
It seems to be immediate or close to it thus important to know when it executes and how it will affect the mod. Add the line as shown to see the result.

Other thing to consider is using that function also sets the User's preference thus when a user leaves the game it will still be off. You can remember the setting on the start of the game and turn it back to what ever setting the user had.

Everyone who changes these things need to know the power and responsibility of this function. Maybe a easy fix would be if the engine save's the user settings and allow mods to utilize a copy of it so that can be discarded and not affect the user further down the track. This is something that needs it's own discussion though.

Is the mod dependent on the creative mod? I tried removing the creative mod from the games folder but it failed unlike the normal minetest game where I can simply rip it out once the world is built.

Code: Select all

[quote="Mr. Blobby"]The text Mr. Blobby wrote would go here[/quote]
Again nice work...

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

twoelk wrote: to place schematics? I don't think so. Aren't for example some trees in some mapgen-mods schematics that are placed on mapgen? Don't know about the entities though. How are mobs spawned in other mods? I wonder if Sokomine's villages place entities, can't remember.
Schematics can only be used to place blocks, not entities. Even metadata like the content of chests has to be treated diffrently. For the purpose of the tutorial world, it's probably easier to just bundle everything together in one world.

If you want to be able to reset the world, just store the positions and informations about all those loose items and all the necessary metadata, and after placing the basic schematic, re-add the entities and metadata.
Wuzzy wrote: The ultimate goal is to help Minetest newbies to understand Minetest basics without consulting external documentation all the time. For the tutorial to be effective, I wish this subgame (+ world) to be bundled with Minetest. Simply because you can’t expect newbies to search the forums for that. ;-)
To have some tutorial at all is certainly nice. I'm just not sure what exactly its audience will be. The inscriptions on the signs are extensive - far too long for impatient young players who want to play a new game. With that much emphasis on movement and game concepts, it's far more a demonstration of what the game can do and how some things work in detail. It can even be an inspiration for modders to try new things.

The first version was a bit too boring as far as materials go. The newest version has hugely improved in that regard and looks convincing.
A list of my mods can be found here.

deasanta

by deasanta » Post

Sokomine - True most ppl dive right in but eventually a percentage of people do play the tutorial bundled with a game then go "oooo so thats how you do it".

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

@Wuzzy Things that you NEED, to add to this Tutorial:
0- At starting room:
_a-Say how to change the view range (+/- keys); may produce lag; also the ''Enable full viewing range key'' some times the ''tutorial user'' may press it by accident and the fps may droop down.

1- In the room that says how to jump:
_a- Add to the sign that you can also jump 1.5 blocks high while holding down ''sneak'' key.
_b- You cant reach the hidden diamond, you need to get 1.5 blocks closser.

2-Waterfall section:
_a- The sign on the top reads: ''...not be the case of all liuqids'' liuqids

3- Items Tutorial
_a- The entrace to the furnace room is blocked!.

4- Special cubes section:
_a- The ''...or cubes to be precise'' sign is wrong, to be precise is made out of voxels.

5- The goodbye room.
_a- I still cant find the ''Comestibles and eating'' and the ''Damage and Health'' rooms; even flying around and so on.

6- Best tutorial in years, i maybe prefered it more lineal, so i cant get lost but, i dont really care about that;
_a- Great decorations.
_b- Great explanations
_c- High interactivity
_d- I love it,
_e- This must be in the future dev versions!
_f- I am voting for your map now.
_g- Can you PM me and say me where are those rooms?
GOOD TUTORIAL!
+10

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Dragonop wrote:@Wuzzy Things that you NEED, to add to this Tutorial:
0- At starting room:
_a-Say how to change the view range (+/- keys); may produce lag; also the ''Enable full viewing range key'' some times the ''tutorial user'' may press it by accident and the fps may droop down.
Rejected. Technical issues and troubleshooting help does not belong into a tutorial.
It would be generally better if Minetest ships with sane default settings and improved controls. It would be also better if Minetest disables ALL those debug keys in release builds. Why the hell would any player want to disable camera updates? (for example)

_a- Add to the sign that you can also jump 1.5 blocks high while holding down ''sneak'' key.
o_O That’s actually true. Now I have learned something!
I will add this to the sneak section instead. One short extra-sign might do it.
It does not look like it were part of the sneak glitch, so it might be fine.
_b- You cant reach the hidden diamond, you need to get 1.5 blocks closser.
Incorrect. First:
Spoiler
There is not only one hidden diamond.
Second: I guarantee you can reach the hidden diamond
Spoiler
s

3- Items Tutorial
_a- The entrace to the furnace room is blocked!.
Ha! I KNEW that my update would break something. Thanks for reporting.

The other comments: Yeah, I’ll fix that, too.
PM has been sent.

I am still working on the I18N update. Release may still take a while.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

@Wuzzy, Ohhh, now i see how to reach the diamond
Spoiler
Apples
I also get 6 diamonds with that one :D

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

I managed to find 7 diamonds. They are very well hidden.
Back from the dead!

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Sokomine wrote:To have some tutorial at all is certainly nice. I'm just not sure what exactly its audience will be. The inscriptions on the signs are extensive - far too long for impatient young players who want to play a new game. With that much emphasis on movement and game concepts, it's far more a demonstration of what the game can do and how some things work in detail. It can even be an inspiration for modders to try new things.
Well, its partly a demonstration, yes. But this is actually a side-effect of my goal to create a more-or-less comprehensive tutorial. I did not intend to showcase Minetest. But in a sense, all tutorials are somehow destined to also showcase a game.

I can understand your concern of inpatient folks. I had that thought, too. But on the other hand, I want the tutorial to be comprehensive. If you think about it, you’ll realize that Minetest is rather complex. What seems obvious to me now was not at all obvious back when I was completely new to Minetest. And a complex game demands extensive tutorials in my opinion. So I have to expect a minimum motivation. If someone is too impatient for the tutorial, then probably Minetest might not be the correct game either.

On the other hand I have to agree that the texts are sometimes really long. I can try to shorten the texts in a way that they say the same stuff but with less words. Or maybe I strip down the overly technical stuff or move it to the optional Good-Bye room.
Alternatively, I can try to split longer texts into multiple signs or factoids, so the students don’t get overwhelmed with a wall of text. I am not sure how exactly this would work out. Another idea I had was to extend the sign formspecs so they can also include some illustrations. This could prove useful for the crafting section and will also go easier on the eye, I hope.

But most importantly: It has yet to be seen how the tutorial will actually work. The actual audience is complete Minetest newbies, of course. I’ve got a lot of feedback in this thread, but I never have gotten feedback from actual Minetest newbies yet. Feedback from those would be invaluable for the Tutorial, but I can’t expect such feedback until the Tutorial is official part of Minetest. But don’t get me wrong: The feedback of you all was still pretty useful.

I hope I can make a big release today. I hope I can finally finish that I18N thing, along with some other features and bugfixes.
Last edited by Wuzzy on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:45, edited 2 times in total.

Wuzzy

Release 1.3.0

by Wuzzy » Post

What time is it?
Release time!
For version 1.3.0.

Changelog:
  • Tutorial is now fully translatable
  • Partial German translation (more strings will follow)
  • Added golden cup as a symbolic reward / reminder for finishing the tutorial (appears in Good-Bye Room)
  • Make entry into comestibles room more visible
  • Removed a superflous directory in subgame
  • Player can not walk on decorative shields anymore
  • Wooden table now makes a wooden sound
  • Fix blocked access to smelting room
  • Fix wrong number of gold ingots on signs
  • Spoiler
    A diamond cup is awarded for collecting all hidden diamonds
I also finally uploaded a Git repository. The recordings start somewhere between 1.2.0 and 1.3.0.
Here is the project page:
http://repo.or.cz/w/minetest_tutorial_subgame.git
This repository is only for the subgame. The world does not have a repository.

About the new translation support: The tutorial uses intllib for translation.

How to translate: Download the tutorial (Git or Zip), then look into the mod directories. In each mod directory, you will find a “locale” directory. Copy the file “template.txt”. Call the copy “II.txt”, where “II” is replaced by the ISO 639-1 code of your language. You’ll find a list on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes. Now you can edit the file. To translate, simply write an equals sign at the end of each line, followed by your translation. Line breaks are represented by “/n”. Be careful not to change the original string, otherwise your translation won’t work. If you are finished or have finished a substantial part of a translation, post here or write me a PM. It is enough to send me your files. There is no need to use Git. (But it is not prohibited, either.)

If you can find any missing strings, please report a bug here.

In case your language does not have an ISO 639-1 code, please complain in the intllib thread for not supporting ISO 639-2 codes. (ISO 639-2 has far more languages than ISO 639-1.)

EDIT:
Replies!
addi wrote:isnt it possible to only use the world folder, with minetest_game, and copy all mods into the worldmods folder?

its just a idea
Ugh, no. That’s not possible. The world folder is only for world data.

About all the discussion on schematics: I am not sure if I really should do this. It could take quite some work to do it right. I would also say that it’s more Minetest’s job to handle worlds.
Additionally, if the tutorial gets added to Minetest, integration work on the core should still be made. Just dropping the tutorial data in the Minetest distribution might work, but Minetest deserves better. Personally, I think, my part of the work is done. Sure, I can always make some small improvement here and there, but the tutorial is now basically finished IMO.

EDIT2:
About that creative problem: Sorry, I can not reproduce it. I can take out the creative mode without any problems. Do you still experience the problem with the current version?
Last edited by Wuzzy on Thu Oct 09, 2014 01:16, edited 4 times in total.

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.3.0]

by srifqi » Post

Woah! Nice! I shall add Indonesian language ASAP.
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

Re: [Game]/[World] Tutorial [1.3.0]

by Calinou » Post

License: CC0 1.0

It would be a good idea to make movement speed faster (or add a /speed command), it gets tedious to move around due to the slow movement speed.

What about using the textures new (grass, cobblestone, dirt, …) found in latest minetest_game Git?