[Game] Pixture

lightonflux
In-game: lof

Re: [Game] Pixture

by lightonflux » Post

kaadmy wrote:How does completion work on Liberty Lands? Is it tab-complete like, or does it change text to match player names when sent?
tab-completion like in a shell.

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

Hmm, i'll try to do that.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

necron099

by necron099 » Post

Good to see parachutes in the game they look and work good. The skunks are a nice addition too. A couple of questions came to mind though.

1. Are the pearls going to be used for anything, or maybe I just haven't found out the use for them?
2. How about item names displayed above the health bar for the selected hotbar item?
3. In the achievement UI "Missing" is displayed instead of the numbers (ie: 23/45) when some achievements are highlighted.

Keep up the good work, this is my favorite subgame.

Ivà
GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

by Ivà » Post

lightonflux wrote:
kaadmy wrote:How does completion work on Liberty Lands? Is it tab-complete like, or does it change text to match player names when sent?
tab-completion like in a shell.
I've been on liberty land server briefly and tried the mod locally too and the tab completion stuff didn't work for me either in the server nor locally.

Is there something that I need to do to activate the tab completion?

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

I looked at the code, and couldn't figure out how they do tab-completion...

@necron099
1. Pearls are currently useless, although you can use them for trading ;)
2. I am planning on doing that; unified_inventory already does that AFAIK
3. Just show "Missing" instead of progress?

Pixture

necron099

by necron099 » Post

Yea, it just shows "Missing" instead of the progress display. As far as I can tell dignode and times are correct, but for some reason it does not display the progress. The one that comes to mind is digging stone is listed as "Missing" with no progress displayed.

Edit: The only ones that aren't displayed as "Missing" are 'First Join' (Gotten) and 'Like Clockwork' (which lists the progress correctly).

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

Are you using the latest git? When achievements were first added, they showed progress wrong.

If you're using latest git, try doing "/giveme default:flower", then placing it. That should give the achievement Gardener and Master Gardener progress.

Pixture

necron099

by necron099 » Post

Sorry, I forgot I started a new game right before I posted. Anyway I started another one and did a lot of /giveme. The few that still showed "Missing"...

Digging stone (I mined default:stone)
Digging trees (I had 3 different types of trunks in my inventory)
Crafting a book (used /giveme for the ingredients and then crafted it)
Crafting a compass (ditto)
Crafting a door (ditto)
Crafting a bed (ditto)

All the others showed as "Gotten" or the progress bar showed.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

I checked; the compass and bed is my fault.
Try latest git, see if those work now.. groups seem to be broken for achievements.

Pixture

necron099

by necron099 » Post

Beds, and compass now work.

With books I changed the init file line 57 from placenode to craftitem and got it to work.

The compass needle E and W seemed reversed. It differed from what debug was telling me (F5) (when debug was telling me I was facing W the compass read E) I'll test that again in the morning.

EDIT:
Yeah, when you face north and turn east the needle will point west.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

Hmm, is the compass problem yours? It seems to work fine for me...
Also, I fixed the books the way you did(It was a typo, you're right, it's supposed to be craftitem), so they should work now.

Pixture

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

At long last: I live to see a Minetest game that's solidly designed! It has a nice selection of mods that work together, an artistic texture style that covers everything, and a clear direction we can expect it to go in. Most games are either extremely simplistic and empty, either blindly throw in a load of mods. Pixture is visibly trying to combine mobs, armor, weather, and others in a good default playable setup. Certainly this will be at the top of my preference list!

There is of course critique as well, and obvious bad sides that stand out; For one thing, I don't really like the current sounds... such as the footsteps which sound like you're walking on some weird wood-like material all the time. I also hate the existing ambience mod... I believe that ambient sound effects for water / birds / crickets / caves / etc should be put in ABM's and played directionally by a node, rather than an audio file randomly popping into your ear and giving a fake effect. Also I didn't get to see a lot of mobs... but other than the sheep I think some could use better visuals, like the exploding Bulbasaur thingie. Lastly, I can't seem to find any snow biomes... deserts are also rare.

necron099

by necron099 » Post

Kaadmy, You're right the compass works, it musta been operator error :)

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote:At long last: I live to see a Minetest game that's solidly designed! It has a nice selection of mods that work together, an artistic texture style that covers everything, and a clear direction we can expect it to go in. Most games are either extremely simplistic and empty, either blindly throw in a load of mods. Pixture is visibly trying to combine mobs, armor, weather, and others in a good default playable setup. Certainly this will be at the top of my preference list!
Thanks for the praise ;)
MirceaKitsune wrote:I don't really like the current sounds... such as the footsteps which sound like you're walking on some weird wood-like material all the time.
Same. I'm planning on recording my own, but I don't have a good microphone, and I'm bad at audio editing. Thanks ahead of time for anybody that can replace them with better ones :)
MirceaKitsune wrote:I also hate the existing ambience mod... I believe that ambient sound effects for water / birds / crickets / caves / etc should be put in ABM's and played directionally by a node, rather than an audio file randomly popping into your ear and giving a fake effect.
I already have a setup for directional ambiance, it's in mods/default/player.lua, I just haven't used it for birds chirping/caves, etc. yet.
MirceaKitsune wrote:Also I didn't get to see a lot of mobs... but other than the sheep I think some could use better visuals, like the exploding Bulbasaur thingie.
That's a Mineturtle, from asdfmovie :D
MirceaKitsune wrote:I can't seem to find any snow biomes... deserts are also rare.
There's no snow biomes, it's supposed to be dynamic with weather, but it's disabled right now(Too buggy and slow)

Pixture

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

kaadmy wrote:That's a Mineturtle
\o/

PoignardAzur

by PoignardAzur » Post

celeron55 wrote:I think the main issue is that Minetest lacks coherence. It's not anything that a well-made subgame couldn't tackle, but none so far have as much content as Minecraft with as much coherence as Minecraft does.
Ever since I read this, I wondered how long it would take for someone to achieve what c55 was describing. You're raising my hopes. I haven't played the game yet, though, but it does look pretty damn good. Have you drawn for video games before ?

Anyway, I don't know how the game feels, how you developed it or what you intend to do with it so this might not be helpful at all, but here's a piece of advice : decide on what is the lowest standard at which you will consider your game done, and won't feel too bad if you release it without ever working on it again ; then prioritize getting the game to that standard as soon as possible. In other words, try to make a complete game fast, a game you wouldn't mind leaving as-is, then start improving it and adding features. People tend to prioritize working on features where progress is visible and feels proportional to the amount of work put in them, and save the boring uninspiring-but-necessary features for last, and run out of motivation before finishing them. Please avoid that mistake ^^

Also, since you seem intent on not making a game compatible with mods made for minetest_game, I'd advise you to go ahead and make another executable if you think you need it (for instance, if you want to implement a non-default UI). Your game seems unique enough to justify it.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

I originally didn't want to make it incompatible with minetest_game, and I started with a more tree-like approach, where larger groups of items come first in names, ie. default:ingot_steel instead of default:steel_ingot.

I'm still trying to fix some backend bugs/problems, and there's still some that I know of, but I think that it's pretty much complete already.

I hope you like the game :)

Pixture

oscar14
GitHub: camus14

by oscar14 » Post

it looks great but i can't play...

Code: Select all

2015-12-26 13:22:40: ACTION[Main]: Server for gameid="pixture-master" listening on 0.0.0.0:57691.
2015-12-26 13:22:41: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer [127.0.0.1] joins game. 
2015-12-26 13:22:41: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer
2015-12-26 13:22:41: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Runtime error from mod 'armor' in callback environment_Step(): ...test/bin/../games/pixture-master/mods/armor/init.lua:133: attempt to index a nil value
2015-12-26 13:22:41: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2015-12-26 13:22:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...test/bin/../games/pixture-master/mods/armor/init.lua:133: in function 'update'
2015-12-26 13:22:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...test/bin/../games/pixture-master/mods/armor/init.lua:181: in function '?'
2015-12-26 13:22:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...home/oscar/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:360: in function <...home/oscar/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:340>
2015-12-26 13:22:41: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players: 
i'm playing in the 0.4.13-dev-0663220

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Rename the subgame folder to "pixture", instead of "pixture-master", this is a common issue, it also happends a lot with mods.
This applies here too: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10360

oscar14

by oscar14 » Post

Thanks for your help.

I've already tried, same error:

2015-12-26 15:32:26: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer [127.0.0.1] joins game. 
2015-12-26 15:32:26: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer
2015-12-26 15:32:26: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Runtime error from mod 'armor' in callback environment_Step(): ...ar/minetest/bin/../games/pixture/mods/armor/init.lua:133: attempt to index a nil value
2015-12-26 15:32:26: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2015-12-26 15:32:26: ERROR[Main]: 	...ar/minetest/bin/../games/pixture/mods/armor/init.lua:133: in function 'update'
2015-12-26 15:32:26: ERROR[Main]: 	...ar/minetest/bin/../games/pixture/mods/armor/init.lua:181: in function '?'
2015-12-26 15:32:26: ERROR[Main]: 	...home/oscar/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:360: in function <...home/oscar/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:340>
2015-12-26 15:32:26: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players: 

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

Hmm. Are you using Minetest 0.4.13? That mod may have problems otherwise.

Pixture

oscar14

by oscar14 » Post

The version im using is 0.4.13-dev-0663220. You think that might be the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

The only mod I know called "armor" is one that it's really outdated, and not compatible with minetest anymore, if it's that mod, don't use it, and install 3d_armor.
If you are using 3d_armor, and you renamed it to "armor", rename it back to "3d_armor"
Or is it a mod from the subgame? I don't really know :p

everamzah
GitHub: everamzah
IRC: everamzah
In-game: everamzah

by everamzah » Post

minetest_next's armor mod is just "armor".

Ivà
GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

by Ivà » Post

oscar14 wrote:Thanks for your help.

I've already tried, same error:

2015-12-26 15:32:26: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer [127.0.0.1] joins game. 
2015-12-26 15:32:26: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer
2015-12-26 15:32:26: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Runtime error from mod 'armor' in callback environment_Step(): ...ar/minetest/bin/../games/pixture/mods/armor/init.lua:133: attempt to index a nil value
2015-12-26 15:32:26: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2015-12-26 15:32:26: ERROR[Main]: 	...ar/minetest/bin/../games/pixture/mods/armor/init.lua:133: in function 'update'
2015-12-26 15:32:26: ERROR[Main]: 	...ar/minetest/bin/../games/pixture/mods/armor/init.lua:181: in function '?'
2015-12-26 15:32:26: ERROR[Main]: 	...home/oscar/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:360: in function <...home/oscar/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:340>
2015-12-26 15:32:26: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players: 
That mod have problems with recent minetest builds.

If you want to try the game online you can log at pixture.quelcom.xyz:30000 server. You should read the signs at spawn (something that almost nobody does anyway :-D) and ask for interact.