[Game] Pixture

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

Re: [Game] Pixture

by kaadmy » Post

DuDraig wrote:...Oak tree saplings do not grow Oak trees. They only grow Apple trees...
I'll check, might have mistyped something.
Edit: @DuDraig, sure they're Oak saplings? After you place them, press F5 once and point at the sapling, the node should be default:sapling_oak.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

Ivà
GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

by Ivà » Post

kaadmy wrote:
DuDraig wrote:...Oak tree saplings do not grow Oak trees. They only grow Apple trees...
I'll check, might have mistyped something.
Edit: @DuDraig, sure they're Oak saplings? After you place them, press F5 once and point at the sapling, the node should be default:sapling_oak.
DuDraig is right, it happens in the server, idk if that happens in the subgame kaadmy... I'll look at it asap.
Thanks for report it DuDraig :)

DuDraig
IRC: DuDraig
In-game: DuDraig

by DuDraig » Post

kaadmy wrote:...
Debug mode is on and reports that they are oak saplings.
Ivà wrote:...
Thanks for report it DuDraig :)
My pleasure. I'm looking forward to making an oak orchard.

BTW: I'm mining at -100m and have yet to encounter any Lumian ore. No other player I've asked has found any either. Has the min/max levels for Lumian ore been changed on that server from the base -256m/-64m?

Ivà

by Ivà » Post

DuDraig wrote:My pleasure. I'm looking forward to making an oak orchard.
It's solved now.
DuDraig wrote:BTW: I'm mining at -100m and have yet to encounter any Lumian ore. No other player I've asked has found any either. Has the min/max levels for Lumian ore been changed on that server from the base -256m/-64m?
No, the min/max levels are the same but Lumien was added in the subgame after the server map was created. So you'll find it only in new generated terrain (far away from spawn or deeply in the mine).

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Post

Ivà wrote:It's solved now.
I found one additional issue with the oak saplings. The oak trees are spawning one node NE of the oak sapling location.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

DuDraig wrote: ...The oak trees are spawning one node NE of the oak sapling location.
That might happen, melzua(Iva) might have made the new oak schematic fix one node off, I can ask about that.

Pixture

Ivà

by Ivà » Post

Yeah, I've fixed it now... again :) It will be available when I restart the server (that should happen today).
Apologies for the inconvenience.

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Post

Ivà wrote:Yeah, I've fixed it now... again :) It will be available when I restart the server (that should happen today).
Apologies for the inconvenience.
No inconvenience. I just report what I find to help out.

BTW Is there no place safe from PK, like your own protected area? Marauding gangs that kill characters for their inventory are running rampant. I've been targeted that way several times now.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

DuDraig wrote:...like your own protected area? Marauding gangs that kill characters for their inventory...
Maybe PvP is only allowed if the area is unprotected, or the protection's owner allows it?

Pixture

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Post

kaadmy wrote:Maybe PvP is only allowed if the area is unprotected, or the protection's owner allows it?
Well, I've always considered Minetest PvP to be a really poorly thought out idea anyway. It's so simplistic that it almost always comes down to whoever has the better armor or weapon. There is just not enough variables to make PvP anything but mindless gang bashing that is almost always used to bully newer players.

However, the best use of protection to manage PvP I've seen so far is one where the owner of a protected area, and only the owner, is safe from receiving PvP damage. A character can damage anyone but the owner in a protected area, and the owner can damage anyone in their protected area. This makes a safe place for the owner but still allows them to fight off griefers.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

Hmm, something like that might work, although there should be a way to completely disable/enable PvP in protected areas.

Pixture

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Post

kaadmy wrote:Hmm, something like that might work, although there should be a way to completely disable/enable PvP in protected areas.
That would be relatively simple. PvP damage in the protected areas could refer to a per-character state variable that can be set by the owning character with a chat command, like "/claim_pvp". The choices that affect how PvP is run in areas owned by that character could be:
  • "none" No PvP allowed.
  • "owner_safe" Only the owner is safe from receiving PvP damage.
  • "shared_safe" Only the owner and the list of characters who share access to that area are safe.
  • "all" All characters are subject to PvP damage.
  • "pile_on_admin" Only the admin can be damaged and they take 4x normal damage (No? You sure? Could be fun <chuckle>)
  • No argument would display the current setting.
"owner_safe" could be the default for new characters.

There should probably also be an admin only command like "/pvp" to set a world variable to globally enable/disable PvP that overrides the per-character settings.
Or you could just make the whole thing an admin only command that affects all protected areas so the admin has complete control over how PvP is configured.
I'm just spit-balling off the top of my head.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

I'm not even sure if MT's mod API allows for location-specific PvP disabling per player, so if it's even implemented, it'll be messy.

Pixture

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Post

kaadmy wrote:I'm not even sure if MT's mod API allows for location-specific PvP disabling per player, so if it's even implemented, it'll be messy.
minetest.register_on_player_hpchange(func(player, hp_change), modifier)
This will register a function to be run when the hp of a player changes and can alter the change amount.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

@DuDraig I'd guess that will have problems, because since MT's player health is client-side, then you could kill a person and die before the server registers it.
Not very sure about this...

Pixture

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Post

I noticed that there are no villages or villagers in your public example server. When I tried my own server, I ran into the same problem. After a little investigation I found out why.

Your public example server and my test server used the same seed: the Minetest default 15332685192081464765. This is loaded by the villages mod mapgen.lua in an ABM with

Code: Select all

if ((minetest.get_mapgen_params().seed+pos.x+pos.y+pos.z) % 30) == 1 then
   ...  -- Generate a village.
else
   ...  -- Delete the village spawn marker object.
end
The world seed and the position of the map generated village spawn marker object is used to id the marker, and a modulo 30 is used to cut down the number of generated villages. I guess the seed was intended to make sure any map generated with the same seed would generate the same set of villages.

However, the seed is loaded as a floating point number and most values will have an exponent so large that it exceeds the number of significant digits so that adding a few hundred or thousand from the position coordinates will not change the value. In this case, the seed 15332685192081464765 is loaded as the FP value -3.1140588816281e+018. This value % 30 will be 0. Adding any possible combination of Minetest map coordinates will result in the same value because of the size of the exponent and that value % 30 will always be 0, so every village spawn marker will be deleted since the test will always fail and no villages will ever be generated.

Since the map was already generated using that seed, it is not necessary to qualify the position coordinates with the seed value to generate the same villages for that seed. Simply eliminating the seed value from the ABM test and just adding together the position coordinates will always give you a value that you can test with a modulo value and generate the same villages for that seed.

if ((pos.x + pos.y + pos.z) % 30) == 1 then
   ...  -- Generate a village.
else
   ...  -- Delete the village spawn marker object.
end
Unless there is some other reason for using the seed value of which I am still unaware. I hope you find that helpful.

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Post

The nav:compass ... <cut>

I'm laughing too hard to explain. Just read the next two messages.
Last edited by DuDraig on Sat Aug 06, 2016 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

@DuDraig I don't think I've ever played Pixture with the default seed, I must check that out when I can.

The nav:compass is correct last i checked, the needle should appear to point the closest direction towards the North.

Pixture

DuDraig

by DuDraig » Post

kaadmy wrote:The nav:compass is correct last i checked, the needle should appear to point the closest direction towards the North.
I'm dying of laughter here. It never even occurred to me that anyone would emulate a needle compass.

When I was a kid, the only mechanical compass I ever used was a disc compass. The rotating disc had the directions and degrees printed in opposite order so that the pointer on the front of the compass always indicated on the disc the direction the compass was facing and not just North like a needle compass.

It all makes sense when you don't assume dumb things. <abashed grin>

tomlukeywood
IRC: tomlukeywood
In-game: tomlukeywood

by tomlukeywood » Post

Great gamemode!

i wish more pepole would play on the pixture server though

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

yeah it's empty.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

echosa

by echosa » Post

What a wonderful game! If ever I show Minetest to people, this will be high on the list of things I show them! I found this game through neoascetic's nightly builds for Mac, and I'm glad I did!

I have a couple of questions, though.

1.) Is there anyway to stop the chirping birds other than removing the ambience folder? I'd even be ok with making them chirp less often. Once or twice every minute was starting to get on my nerves a bit, so I moved that mod folder out. (Luckily, nothing depended on it, it seems.)

2.) Is this completely an open-ended game, or is there supposed to be some sort of end goal/progression/linear-ness? I noticed that there's an achievements tab, which is pretty sweet.

Speaking of tabs, I really like the interface design! It fits really well with the cartoony textures. I have yet to find a cartoony Minecraft texture pack that I liked, and yet, when I saw Pixture, I immediately liked it. Well done!

I look forward to exploring Pixture a bit more, and look forward to aggressive mobs. :-)

Oh, and also... THERE ARE SKUNKS! <3

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

1. I thought I'd added ambiance sound options in the config, but I didn't, so latest git version should now include sound-specific toggles in config, but everything is enabled by default.

2. Nope, no goal whatsoever. This was designed to be an open-ended sandbox survival subgame. (And the achievements are a bit broken, so expect achievements to sometimes get reset, no idea why it happens yet.)

3. Thanks :)

4. I might add more mobs, but I mostly need ideas that will fit the artstyle and gameplay.

5. Yep, there ARE skunks :P I added them for a neutral mob that might be interesting for gameplay, as I was originally planning on adding Ink for books, which may come from skunks :)

Pixture

hajo

by hajo » Post

I started a game of Pixture with the current minetest 0.4.14 rev. 8a7dc83 2016-12-05
and got a crash when I simply pressed the down-button in the craftingguide:

2016-12-18 14:19:01: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'craftingguide' in callback on_playerReceiveFields(): ...8a7dc83\bin\..\games\pixture\mods\craftingguide\init.lua:26: attempt to index a nil value
2016-12-18 14:19:01: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-12-18 14:19:01: ERROR[Main]: 	...8a7dc83\bin\..\games\pixture\mods\craftingguide\init.lua:26: in function 'get_formspec'
2016-12-18 14:19:01: ERROR[Main]: 	...8a7dc83\bin\..\games\pixture\mods\craftingguide\init.lua:132: in function <...8a7dc83\bin\..\games\pixture\mods\craftingguide\init.lua:88>
2016-12-18 14:19:01: ERROR[Main]: 	...minetest-0.4.14_8a7dc83\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:412: in function <...minetest-0.4.14_8a7dc83\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:392>

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

Fixed in latest git version of Pixture.

Pixture