[GAME] [SERVER] Post-Apocalyptic World [aftermath][v1.3]

CuriousNoob

re : Villages feature badly broken

by CuriousNoob » Post

Hi maikerumine/Aiden

Crippled by monthly data-caps I've recently been auditioning worlds singleplayer, offline locally. From your ReadMe/RTFM above it looked interesting and challenging, so firstly it's a ''Thank You'' for contributing this Sub-Game.

But --- and with a fresh forum-post you know there's usually a ''but..'' ;-P --- sadly I have to report issues.

It is not creating Villages as described above.

First big obvious symptom : you mostly spawn in solid rock, not in a Village. *[1]

I tried dozens of different world-creation map-gen seeds, no joy. I tried with mods-security off, no difference. I even tried with other non-v7 mapgens but they actually crashed.

Typing the command ''/vmap'' produces a panel as expected, showing supposed Village-locations, -names and -numbers, but walkabout usually doesn't find anything anywhere there on the map, just normal landscape. *[2]

Walkabout eventually finds a few isolated mossy-cobble ruins, but no chests, no trader-NPCs. Also, weirdly, in one world (seed 10012772277227722772, coords 380,60,15) there were runs of wooden mine-props floating in the sky overhead.

After the obligatory ''/grant singleplayer mg_mapgen'' privilege, typing the command ''/visit 10'' (or whatever other number) mostly teleports you into solid stone, no villages to be found anywhere, neither above nor below ... checked with both F9-minimap and no-clip free-move. *[2]

TL;DR SUMMARY : the Villages feature seems to be badly broken now.

I read above that you tweaked the mod, but use of the word ''tricky'' suggests there's already known issues in this area.

So, time to post here and ask : am I probably missing/overlooking/doing-something-wrong ... or is it another case of something not fully compatible with the current engine..?

Setup :

- a vanilla minetest, aftermath only, no other mods enabled

- version of Minetest is the current daily update from the minetestdevs ppa repository, presently 0.4.15-dev ... but it's worth saying that this no-Villages-problem has always been the case for me, since I first tried last month using the 0.4.14-dev versions then till now

- Linux Mint 18 on an Intel-powered HP desktop PC.

Hope that helps. I hope to hear.

Notes :

*[1] : Whilst maybe 10% of the seeds I tried spawned over lethal mud, overwhelmingly the majority spawned into solid stone, and usually too far inside to escape from using the single Pickaxe and no Shovel (and no initial-item Duct-Tapes), especially since Dirt is not hand-diggable.

*[2] : An odd semi-exception has been finding a few unpopulated ruined half-houses on artificially-circular surreal plateaus at height (50-plus, some free-floating islands) with lootable chests, but no proper Villages and no trader-NPCs.

The nearest to okay was using seed 1 0 0 1 2 3 3 2 2 3 3 2 2 3 3 2 2 3 3 2 (double-spaced for readability ... that's 1001 followed by four repetitions of 2332).

This particular seed not only spawned on the surface, but also gave sort-of nearly-villages at ''/visit 2'' and 29 with lootable chests, and 30 with no chests that I could see, but none of them have trader-NPCs. Also, both ''/visit 5'' and 13 have single derelict lootable houses, the latter surrounded by wholly out-of-place water, non-flowing blue water-source blocks. Very broken :(
Last edited by CuriousNoob on Mon Jan 16, 2017 00:00, edited 2 times in total.

CuriousNoob

re : Mob Bones

by CuriousNoob » Post

mr_dean wrote:how long are mob bones protected?
Just wondering...
For me it seems about 15-20 minutes real-time, usually on the way back after doing/exploring something else in-game, I haven't stuck beside one rigorously trying it every second. ;-P

I hope you enjoy it :D

CuriousNoob

update : broken Villages feature

by CuriousNoob » Post

CuriousNoob wrote:.
I read above that you tweaked the mod, but use of the word ''tricky'' suggests there's already known issues in this area.
...probably missing/overlooking/doing-something-wrong..?

Hmm, self-quoting, beseeching the silent void --- seems like this is a slow thread, if not totally dead.

Still, for the sake of closure and progress and future Googlers / StartPagers / DuckDuckGoers...

Update :

As I described in the Villages thread, I find that nuking my (old and large and much-experimented) minetest.conf file and starting over seems to have solved the no-villages issue for me --- at least after Mod-Security was disabled.

I've no idea what/how/why, but perhaps one of my ancient attempted-tweaks to mapgen-settings conflicted with the current algorithms in the engine and/or Villages mod.

It is worth saying too, that whatever maikerumine has done to modify the mg_villages + handle_schematics mods into this Aftermath sub-game, has solved the issue with Mod-Security ... it happily creates and launches a new world even with Mod-Security enabled.

Hope it helps someone somewhere.

And FWIW, first-impressions, yes, this sub-game looks more interesting now, but considerably less challenging with the working Villages and lootable chests, at least in singleplayer mode, whereas multi-player would be very much a same-ole-same-ole case of first-come winners-take-all...

Thank you maikerumine

< tumble-weed > < clanging-bell >

;-P

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

Re: update : broken Villages feature

by maikerumine » Post

CuriousNoob wrote:
CuriousNoob wrote:.
...probably missing/overlooking/doing-something-wrong..?

Hmm, self-quoting, beseeching the silent void --- seems like this is a slow thread, if not totally dead.

Still, for the sake of closure and progress and future Googlers / StartPagers / DuckDuckGoers...

Update :

As I described in the Villages thread, I find that nuking my (old and large and much-experimented) minetest.conf file and starting over seems to have solved the no-villages issue for me --- at least after Mod-Security was disabled.

I've no idea what/how/why, but perhaps one of my ancient attempted-tweaks to mapgen-settings conflicted with the current algorithms in the engine and/or Villages mod.

It is worth saying too, that whatever maikerumine has done to modify the mg_villages + handle_schematics mods into this Aftermath sub-game, has solved the issue with Mod-Security ... it happily creates and launches a new world even with Mod-Security enabled.

Hope it helps someone somewhere.

And FWIW, first-impressions, yes, this sub-game looks more interesting now, but considerably less challenging with the working Villages and lootable chests, at least in singleplayer mode, whereas multi-player would be very much a same-ole-same-ole case of first-come winners-take-all...

Thank you maikerumine

< tumble-weed > < clanging-bell >

;-P
I am happy you got this working. :)

Glad you enjoied it, your experience is noted, we may end up making things tougher. ;-)
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

u19503

Re: [Game] Post-apocalyptic Fallout World [aftermath]

by u19503 » Post

This subgame is amazing but it needs more content (more biome veristy more mobs and more items and blocks) I wanna have nuka cola XD

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Updating github tonight, you can go to test server right now to test things out.

More content is added and more to come.

CAMc I reset your password and fixed th bug.

Server:
23.28.87.79:30001

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

it keeps crashing.

CAMc
In-game: CAMc

by CAMc » Post

maikerumine wrote:Updating github tonight, you can go to test server right now to test things out.

More content is added and more to come.

CAMc I reset your password and fixed th bug.

Server:
23.28.87.79:30001

Thanks. However, I cannot log in with my original password, or a blank password.

Also, I have a screenshot of the errors, during one of the crashes, if you would like to see it.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Code: Select all

2017-04-08 01:34:52: ERROR[Server]: 3d_armor: Detached armor inventory is nil [on_dieplayer]
2017-04-08 01:34:53: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'thirsty' in callback on_dieplayer(): ...\aftermath\mods\thirsty/persistent_player_attributes.lua:109: attempt to index a nil value
2017-04-08 01:34:53: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-04-08 01:34:53: ERROR[Main]: 	...\aftermath\mods\thirsty/persistent_player_attributes.lua:109: in function 'set_value'
2017-04-08 01:34:53: ERROR[Main]: 	...ALLOUT\bin\..\games\aftermath\mods\thirsty/functions.lua:37: in function <...ALLOUT\bin\..\games\aftermath\mods\thirsty/functions.lua:33>
2017-04-08 01:34:53: ERROR[Main]: 	D:\FALLOUT\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:412: in function <D:\FALLOUT\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:392>

Beerholder
GitHub: evrooije
In-game: Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

toby109tt wrote:This subgame is amazing but it needs more content (more biome veristy more mobs and more items and blocks) I wanna have nuka cola XD
Nuka Cola yes!! Maybe name it Atom Soda or Radio Fanta to avoid copyright issues with Bethesda ;-)

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Beerholder wrote:
toby109tt wrote:This subgame is amazing but it needs more content (more biome veristy more mobs and more items and blocks) I wanna have nuka cola XD
Nuka Cola yes!! Maybe name it Atom Soda or Radio Fanta to avoid copyright issues with Bethesda ;-)
Atom Soda sounds really good!

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Many many many changes people!

FYI the test server willo be reset this weekend and everybody will start anew. Wholly new map, all new terrain and many new items.

As for old bases like zorg, 843jdc, ultimatenoob, jtee, wsdguy2014, and a few others... I may port those into game and hide them within 500 blocks of main spawn.

server is up nor for testing and any suggestions are greatly welcomed!

Atom soda is added btw! LOL

u19503

by u19503 » Post

maikerumine wrote: Atom soda is added btw! LOL
Let's all be honest that's the best new feature lol jk

Beerholder
GitHub: evrooije
In-game: Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

toby109tt wrote:
+10!! XD Here's an alternative to the default soda png ;-))

atom_soda.png
atom_soda.png (2.84 KiB) Viewed 2215 times

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Beerholder wrote:
toby109tt wrote:
+10!! XD Here's an alternative to the default soda png ;-))

atom_soda.png
DONE!!!

u19503

by u19503 » Post

perhaps would you be interested in someone who can help with textures (me)

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

mr_dean wrote:how long are mob bones protected?
Just wondering...
All bones 12 seconds unless glitched in another block

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

toby109tt wrote:perhaps would you be interested in someone who can help with textures (me)
Yes I would love your input!

anuser

by anuser » Post

Hello!

This is very interesting game, but sadly, very very resource demanding. I also have found an error with game crash when punch the car.

2017-04-15 13:10:07: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer punches object 1606: LuaEntitySAO at (32.1796,1.5,-246.882)
2017-04-15 13:10:07: ACTION[Server]: LuaEntitySAO at (32.1796,1.5,-246.882) punched by player singleplayer, damage 9 hp, health now 191 hp
2017-04-15 13:10:07: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'vehicles' in callback luaentity_Punch(): ...4.15-win32]\bin\..\games\aftermath\mods\vehicles/api.lua:641: attempt to index field 'driver' (a nil value)
2017-04-15 13:10:07: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-04-15 13:10:07: ERROR[Main]: 	...4.15-win32]\bin\..\games\aftermath\mods\vehicles/api.lua:641: in function <...4.15-win32]\bin\..\games\aftermath\mods\vehicles/api.lua:633>

u19503

by u19503 » Post

maikerumine wrote:
toby109tt wrote:perhaps would you be interested in someone who can help with textures (me)
How can I contribute (can I open an issue on GitHub That's how i prefer to work)

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

toby109tt wrote:
maikerumine wrote:
How can I contribute (can I open an issue on GitHub That's how i prefer to work)
Yes!

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

anuser wrote:Hello!

This is very interesting game, but sadly, very very resource demanding. I also have found an error with game crash when punch the car.

2017-04-15 13:10:07: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer punches object 1606: LuaEntitySAO at (32.1796,1.5,-246.882)
2017-04-15 13:10:07: ACTION[Server]: LuaEntitySAO at (32.1796,1.5,-246.882) punched by player singleplayer, damage 9 hp, health now 191 hp
2017-04-15 13:10:07: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'vehicles' in callback luaentity_Punch(): ...4.15-win32]\bin\..\games\aftermath\mods\vehicles/api.lua:641: attempt to index field 'driver' (a nil value)
2017-04-15 13:10:07: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-04-15 13:10:07: ERROR[Main]: 	...4.15-win32]\bin\..\games\aftermath\mods\vehicles/api.lua:641: in function <...4.15-win32]\bin\..\games\aftermath\mods\vehicles/api.lua:633>
Was it the wrecked car or dribble? Dribble are broken.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Updates to textures by Toby and tweaked the sky a bit. ;-)

xeranas

by xeranas » Post

games/aftermath/mods/helloip/init.lua:8: /home/xeranas/.minetest/games/aftermath/mods/helloip\dbip-country-2017-03.csv: No such file or directory
Seems to me windows os hardcoded path issues. Not sure why subgames need include network-utils mods at all? Each server admin will apply their utils if they needed probably with their own tweaks and likely never version.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

xeranas wrote:

games/aftermath/mods/helloip/init.lua:8: /home/xeranas/.minetest/games/aftermath/mods/helloip\dbip-country-2017-03.csv: No such file or directory
Seems to me windows os hardcoded path issues. Not sure why subgames need include network-utils mods at all? Each server admin will apply their utils if they needed probably with their own tweaks and likely never version.
Removed this from the repo, try again now.

Also updated textures by toby109tt, see read me for details!