[Game] rpgtest [git][rpgtest]

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: [Game] rpgtest [git][rpgtest]

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

I think it's to preserve a style of the game, isn't it?
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Reedych
GitHub: SlackCoyote
In-game: SlackCoyote

by Reedych » Post

I wanna revive this good. This project cannot die!
Slackware64 14.2, MT 0.4.16. My best mod.

Alkiera
In-game: Alkiera

by Alkiera » Post

After reading a story recently that had concepts from MineCraft and the Jobs system from Final Fantasy, I was looking for something to play around with, and develop if needed. I found Minetest, and then this subgame, which does many of the things I was thinking of adding when playing Minetest Game.

Some comments:
  • Consider moving the intro text, and many of the quest-related messages, from the console where they quickly disappear, to a pop-up message, like is done by the Tutorial subgame.
  • Also, I couldn't seem to open the console to see old messages, making the previous issue worse.
  • I apparently spawned in a slime spawning ground, and had to lead them away from my spawn point and die several times before I could get very far. They hit very hard vs. a newbie, and punching didn't do anything detectable.
  • Sometimes the character seemed to be a portable light source in the dark, other times not. Is it possible to, say, have your character glow when holding the torch, like it's lit?
  • The process of turning tree leaves into sticks is not initially intuitive, though it makes since once informed. The Crafting Guide told me I needed a thin log to get sticks, yet I needed a stick to make an axe, and you can't seem to punch trees to mine them like you can in the regular game. I found the leaf thing by accident.
  • You might consider looking at the way the furnace UI works in Minetest Game; yours doesn't indicate when the fire is lit, or what progress is made on the current item, both of which I found handy. It also doesn't seem to allow you to burn anything but coal?
  • I like the quest stuff, it gives some direction early in the game which is missing.
  • The skill UI is very... basic. Also, no mention of benefit for the first skill (crafter?); is it pointless?
All in all, other than the slime issue, and some difficulty finding ore (I used the v7 mapgen, and ore seemed more rare than the MTG game with a different (valleys) mapgen.) I had fun; good work.

cd2
GitHub: cdqwertz
In-game: cd cd2

by cd2 » Post

First of all, thank you for playing!
Alkiera wrote:After reading a story recently that had concepts from MineCraft and the Jobs system from Final Fantasy, I was looking for something to play around with, and develop if needed. I found Minetest, and then this subgame, which does many of the things I was thinking of adding when playing Minetest Game.

Some comments:
  • Consider moving the intro text, and many of the quest-related messages, from the console where they quickly disappear, to a pop-up message, like is done by the Tutorial subgame.
  • Also, I couldn't seem to open the console to see old messages, making the previous issue worse.
  • I apparently spawned in a slime spawning ground, and had to lead them away from my spawn point and die several times before I could get very far. They hit very hard vs. a newbie, and punching didn't do anything detectable.
  • Sometimes the character seemed to be a portable light source in the dark, other times not. Is it possible to, say, have your character glow when holding the torch, like it's lit?
  • The process of turning tree leaves into sticks is not initially intuitive, though it makes since once informed. The Crafting Guide told me I needed a thin log to get sticks, yet I needed a stick to make an axe, and you can't seem to punch trees to mine them like you can in the regular game. I found the leaf thing by accident.
  • You might consider looking at the way the furnace UI works in Minetest Game; yours doesn't indicate when the fire is lit, or what progress is made on the current item, both of which I found handy. It also doesn't seem to allow you to burn anything but coal?
  • I like the quest stuff, it gives some direction early in the game which is missing.
  • The skill UI is very... basic. Also, no mention of benefit for the first skill (crafter?); is it pointless?
  • I do not like the idea of interrupting the game to show messages, but I might add some way for the player to look at dialogs and messages later on.
  • See above.
  • That is definitely something which has to be fixed.
  • It would be technically possible, but is currently not implemented.
  • The crafting guide is currently only able to show one recipe per item (which is a problem).
  • Yes
  • Nice to hear that.
  • Yes, the builder skill is currently useless.
Alkiera wrote:All in all, other than the slime issue, and some difficulty finding ore (I used the v7 mapgen, and ore seemed more rare than the MTG game with a different (valleys) mapgen.)
Alkiera wrote:I had fun; good work.
I am glad to hear that!

PS: Sorry for the late reply.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

yay, ur bak!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

SeaPhor
GitHub: SeaPhor
IRC: SeaPhor
In-game: SeaPhor

by SeaPhor » Post

I really love what you have going here with 'rpgtest', and would like to learn more, as I am a total n00b to minetest and this 'rpgtest' is my first download and attempt. I was already considering contributing to minetest when I found your 'rpgtest' and now am looking at contributing to both in any way I can- that being said, I got in-game a few hours ago and loaded up your tutorial, working great ... and loving it, but, I got to the part about crafting a "Stone Axe" => requires a 'stick', stick requires 'log (thin)',,, I have no other tools to mine trees/wood. Did I just miss something early on?
Either way I really like the concept, (been playing RPGs since 1981[D&D])
Thanks and let me know how to find Public Servers? (I am a n00b).
C4

SeaPhor
GitHub: SeaPhor
IRC: SeaPhor
In-game: SeaPhor

by SeaPhor » Post

AHH- ok, I figured out how to make a stick!, ok, moving forward with the tutorial :D
C4

ThilusFR

by ThilusFR » Post

SeaPhor wrote:AHH- ok, I figured out how to make a stick!, ok, moving forward with the tutorial :D
C4
How did you do it?
A stick requires a log but I can't mine them in the world (even the thinest one I found).

Can someone please help me?
Thanks

ThilusFR

by ThilusFR » Post

Ok, so for anyone wondering, you can craft one Stick with one Twig, and one Twig with one Leaves.
It might be useful to add this recipe in the Crafting Guide.
So far, I'm enjoying the subgame. Thanks :)

pandaro
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Post

no update from this project?
is die?