[Game] rpgtest [git][rpgtest]

Aero88

Re: [Game] rpgtest [git][rpg][mmo][rpgtest]

by Aero88 » Post

Well. This game looks nice. I started to play and the first problem is, that i cant craft the stone axe. The recipe seems not to work. I followed the instructions and thats where it ends for me...

cd2
GitHub: cdqwertz
In-game: cd cd2

by cd2 » Post

Aero88 wrote:Well. This game looks nice. I started to play and the first problem is, that i cant craft the stone axe. The recipe seems not to work. I followed the instructions and thats where it ends for me...
The crafting recipe for a stone axe looks like this:

Code: Select all

Stone
Strong String
Stick

Aero88

by Aero88 » Post

I dont understand the furnace system. How can i use the furnace? Oo for example to craft an iron rod. I got the pattern and the iron. But how can i forge the iron rod? There is no output in the furnace menu.

cd2

by cd2 » Post

Aero88 wrote:I dont understand the furnace system. How can i use the furnace? Oo for example to craft an iron rod. I got the pattern and the iron. But how can i forge the iron rod? There is no output in the furnace menu.
Yes, you are right. The furnace system is a mess. At the moment you need to place the furnace on top of a "Glowing Coalblock". In front of the "Coalblock" you need to place the pattern. You can select the output type (rod, blade or plate) by punching the pattern. Then you need to put the material in the "Furnace". After some seconds the output will appear in the patterns inventory.

The funny thing is, that I just planned a new furnace system some minutes ago :D
I might implement it tomorrow (If I have time...). I hope it will be more logical, because it wont use any multi-block structures.

PS : Did the crafting recipe for the stone axe work?

Aero88

by Aero88 » Post

Well. Multi Blocks arent that Bad, if they are logical. I guess it would be better for a furnace system, if u took a coal block to place it nexto the furnace with an inventory for the fuel of the furnace. (Does not have to be a coal block. A block for fuel storage.) when there is fuel within that block, the furnace works. It not, then nothing happens. ;) that would make the system more logical then to place a glowing coal block under the furnace. The pattern has to be placed on the other side of the furnace, to make the system work. (Maybe it is possible to place that fuel storage block between 2 furnaces to make both of then work? ;))

Aero88

by Aero88 » Post

I like ur game pretty much. The exp-system is nice. I have a lot of ideas for games like this one. But i dont have and experience sich scripting and modeling. I guess these is a lot of potential in multi Blocks. They could make the game much more tun for item creation. The autocrafter is the easiest way, but it would look much better it u had more Blocks like the furnace with individual functions. A sawmill for example. The most developers for subgames create one new block after an other, but the way to produce these Blocks are everytime the same. Put a combination of items into ur own inventory and click on the product. Thats pretty lame. The way to get new things should be a little more dificult Or further more attractiv. In the dass of producing things like stone bricks or products made from tree logs it would ease the work as well. It would spare a lot of clicks to the player. Like i said. The autocrafter is extremly unattractive.... But thats my opinion. Maybe u do think in another way. It would put more depth in ur game. ;)

cd2

by cd2 » Post

Aero88 wrote:I like ur game pretty much. The exp-system is nice. I have a lot of ideas for games like this one.
Thank you :)
Aero88 wrote:The autocrafter is the easiest way, but it would look much better it u had more Blocks like the furnace with individual functions. A sawmill for example.
Actually, a sawmill would be really cool!
Aero88 wrote:The most developers for subgames create one new block after an other, but the way to produce these Blocks are everytime the same. Put a combination of items into ur own inventory and click on the product. Thats pretty lame. The way to get new things should be a little more dificult Or further more attractiv. In the dass of producing things like stone bricks or products made from tree logs it would ease the work as well. It would spare a lot of clicks to the player. Like i said. The autocrafter is extremly unattractive.... But thats my opinion. Maybe u do think in another way. It would put more depth in ur game. ;)
I think it would be cool to have more blocks which have a special purpose, but its not good to have to many of them, because that would be really confusing for the player.

Aero88

by Aero88 » Post

How can Blocks confuse the players, when the names of the Blocks are informative enough like sawmill or forge and furnace? I have seen Blocks in subgames wich were really confusing. The names of those werent informativ enough. I think that the game minetest itself lacks in informations. I havent seen a tool tip for any of the tools. Placable tools like ur furnace or the pattern need something like that. Your game ist the only one. It is just an example. As a total new player it can be really confusing. U see the blocks in the craftguide and dont know, what they are good for.

By the way. You could go fishing in your game. But how do u cook the fish? I did not found any recipes in the craft guide. The only ones are the recipes for drinks. ;)

cd2

by cd2 » Post

Aero88 wrote:How can Blocks confuse the players, when the names of the Blocks are informative enough like sawmill or forge and furnace? I have seen Blocks in subgames wich were really confusing. The names of those werent informativ enough. I think that the game minetest itself lacks in informations. I havent seen a tool tip for any of the tools. Placable tools like ur furnace or the pattern need something like that. Your game ist the only one. It is just an example. As a total new player it can be really confusing. U see the blocks in the craftguide and dont know, what they are good for.
I will add some more information to the furnace's and the anvil's tooltip (patterns do not exist anymore since the last update).
Aero88 wrote: By the way. You could go fishing in your game. But how do u cook the fish? I did not found any recipes in the craft guide. The only ones are the recipes for drinks. ;)
You cannot do that because cooked fish doesn't even exist yet. I already created a texture, but I didn't implement the item yet.

PS : If I have time, I will post the update tomorrow.

cd2

by cd2 » Post

UPDATE

• new furnace system
  • added anvil
The new furnace formspec looks like this:

I also added an anvil:

Attachments
screenshot_20161124_191603.png
screenshot_20161124_191603.png (60.3 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
screenshot_20161124_191620.png
screenshot_20161124_191620.png (96.85 KiB) Viewed 1161 times

mahmutelmas06
GitHub: mahmutelmas06
IRC: mahmutelmas06
In-game: masum

by mahmutelmas06 » Post

Seems i am going to replace default game with rpgtest soon :)

Just a reminder, you need to draw better icon and background :D
My Mods:

Beverage

issa

by issa » Post

that's exelent project keep going please :)

cd2

by cd2 » Post

issa wrote:that's exelent project keep going please :)
I am still working on this project!
  • added birch trees/wood/leaves
  • added new character model
  • finished armor mod
  • added textures for the anvil
  • added copper + diamond tools

PS : If you want to see more screenshots, you should take a look at my blog.
Attachments
screenshot_20161219_103543.png
screenshot_20161219_103543.png (463.3 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Last edited by cd2 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

this looks awesome dude! keepworking on 'it!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

cd2

by cd2 » Post

UPDATE

• added new mapgen structures
  • added spawner
  • added birch trees (spawn naturally)
  • added a description to every skill
  • fixed crafting guide

PS : If you want to see more screenshots, you should take a look at my blog.
Attachments
screenshot_20161223_122430.png
screenshot_20161223_122430.png (606.03 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
screenshot_20161223_121401.png
screenshot_20161223_121401.png (764.81 KiB) Viewed 1161 times

D00Med
GitHub: D00Med

by D00Med » Post

Wow, this is looking really really good!
Look! I have a signature :]
My subgame: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14051#p207242

cd2

by cd2 » Post

D00Med wrote:Wow, this is looking really really good!

FreeLikeGNU
GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

I love the unique buildings gen and aesthetic. First time playing I placed a wood block (received from tutorial quest) on the ground be accident and was then unable to make the workbench. Maybe giving the player a weak axe would work better?

cd2

by cd2 » Post

FreeLikeGNU wrote:I love the unique buildings gen and aesthetic. First time playing I placed a wood block (received from tutorial quest) on the ground be accident and was then unable to make the workbench. Maybe giving the player a weak axe would work better?
If the player would get a weak axe, there wouldn't be any reason to craft another weak axe. I decided to just make wood blocks (not trees) breakable by hand until we found a better solution for this problem.

UPDATE

• added carrots
  • fixed saplings

PS : https://github.com/cdqwertz/rpgtest/milestones
Attachments
screenshot_20161225_120529.png
screenshot_20161225_120529.png (186.89 KiB) Viewed 1161 times

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

that clever to make multiple carrot pods per node, it looks nicer. well done.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

cd2

by cd2 » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:that clever to make multiple carrot pods per node, it looks nicer. well done.

UPDATE

• added custom treasure chest
  • added new clan system

cd2

Re: [Game] rpgtest [git][rpgtest]

by cd2 » Post

Hey guys!

The 1.0 release will be soon! (hopefully 1.1.17)

I still need to do some stuff until 1.0:
  • Fix copper pick
  • New icon
  • Add craft for chisel
I am really looking forward to the release because I have been developing this game for about one year now. It was a lot of work and it is still a lot of work to do. (https://github.com/cdqwertz/rpgtest/projects/2)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Just a quick list of notes I made while playing (mostly just bugs or complaints, sorry for that. I don't think your game is bad. This is NOT a full review which I may post in another day as this would take much longer):

- Minimap is drawn over initial quest list
- Kudos for adding some tutorial quests to get started. I wish more subgames would do something like this. It did make it very easy to get started and I did not have to search through a wiki or anything first.
- The central_message mod is not really meant to be used for tutorial purposes. It's not really wrong. But if you use it for this, then you should at least make it possible to access the help texts in a different way again (hint: look at the Help modpack: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15912). Because if the player is a slow reader or just did not pay attention, the message is gone forever. Central_message was only meant as a simple notification system to notify the player about events. It is poorly suited to make a tutorial. Hint: Take a look at [tutor]: viewtopic.php?t=14409
- I like the [quests] mod better than the quest system of this subgame. It has a nicer HUD and sounds
- The crafting guide allows you to go to empty pages, which is confusing
- The crafting guide fails to support group-based recipes correctly. Why not using or forking a crafting guide mod which has been tried and tested? I like [craftguide]
- It's weird that you have to open the crafting guide to see your quest list
- If you lose your crafting guide, you're fucked (a crafting guide should be accessible at all times; maybe add a button into the inventory menu)
- I can't see my XP (as a number)
- I can't see my level
- I can't see how many “points” I can still assign to skills (Chat commands don't count. Make it part of the formspecs or the HUD)
- Some weapons (like old battle axe) have huge tooltips with a huge whitespace
- The workbenches in watchtowers can't be used as workbenches until you take them and replace them again
- String and Strong string look (almost?) identical
- Copper pickaxe digs stone with diamond and stone with silver faster than the diamond pickaxe does
- Stone with silver and stone with zinc seem to be useless
- Digging stone with diamond gives XP with lots of decimal places
- The stone step sound is hurting my ears (I sometimes play with headphones)

Open questions:
- How to make blueprints which I can actually use (e.g. to make weapons and armor)? So far I only got empty blueprints
- What is the point of having an ability book? Leftclicking only destroys it for some reason.
- Where are the enemies/mobs?
- What are flowers for?
- How many biomes are there?
- How exactly does the furnace work? I understand how to operate it, but I don't understand the exact rules for the fuel burning, it seems to work differently than in Minetest Game.

D00Med
GitHub: D00Med

by D00Med » Post

This reminds me, a while ago I made some mob textures for this game.
Feel free to use them if you like.
Attachments
mobs.zip
(2.14 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Look! I have a signature :]
My subgame: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14051#p207242

cd2

by cd2 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:- The central_message mod is not really meant to be used for tutorial purposes. It's not really wrong. But if you use it for this, then you should at least make it possible to access the help texts in a different way again (hint: look at the Help modpack: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15912). Because if the player is a slow reader or just did not pay attention, the message is gone forever. Central_message was only meant as a simple notification system to notify the player about events. It is poorly suited to make a tutorial. Hint: Take a look at [tutor]: viewtopic.php?t=14409
Added to todo https://github.com/cdqwertz/rpgtest/projects/4
Wuzzy wrote:- I like the [quests] mod better than the quest system of this subgame. It has a nicer HUD and sounds
I like rpgtest's quest system, but I will take a look at this mod anyway.
Wuzzy wrote:- The crafting guide allows you to go to empty pages, which is confusing
Wuzzy wrote:- The crafting guide fails to support group-based recipes correctly. Why not using or forking a crafting guide mod which has been tried and tested? I like [craftguide]
Wuzzy wrote:- It's weird that you have to open the crafting guide to see your quest list
Fixed (added quest tab to inventory)
Wuzzy wrote:- If you lose your crafting guide, you're fucked (a crafting guide should be accessible at all times; maybe add a button into the inventory menu)
I will add a button for that.
Wuzzy wrote:- I can't see my level
You should see your level next to the xp bar.
Wuzzy wrote:- I can't see how many “points” I can still assign to skills (Chat commands don't count. Make it part of the formspecs or the HUD)
Fixed.
Wuzzy wrote:- Some weapons (like old battle axe) have huge tooltips with a huge whitespace
Could you send me a screenshot of this bug? (It is working for me)
Wuzzy wrote:- The workbenches in watchtowers can't be used as workbenches until you take them and replace them again
The only way to fix that is to replace the workbench with something else, isn't it?
Wuzzy wrote:- Copper pickaxe digs stone with diamond and stone with silver faster than the diamond pickaxe does
That is already fixed.
Wuzzy wrote:- Stone with silver and stone with zinc seem to be useless
I will add a use for these materials later.
Wuzzy wrote:- The stone step sound is hurting my ears (I sometimes play with headphones)
I made it a bit quieter.
Wuzzy wrote:- How to make blueprints which I can actually use (e.g. to make weapons and armor)? So far I only got empty blueprints
If you rightclick on something while you are holding an empty blueprint, you should get a blueprint for a special item.
Wuzzy wrote:- What is the point of having an ability book? Leftclicking only destroys it for some reason.
Fixed. (Hopefully)
Wuzzy wrote:- What are flowers for?
Flowers are just for decoration.
Wuzzy wrote:- How many biomes are there?
Wuzzy wrote:- How exactly does the furnace work? I understand how to operate it, but I don't understand the exact rules for the fuel burning, it seems to work differently than in Minetest Game.
smelting one item -> -1 fuel
coal -> +2 fuel
coalblock -> +20 fuel

PS: Thank you for your feedback! I hope, that I answered the most important questions. (I do not have a solution for some at the moment.)
Last edited by cd2 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:22, edited 1 time in total.