[Game]Labyrinthus[2.14.0]-Create your own levels now!

GitHub: Der1248
In-game: 1248 or Der1248

Re: [Game/Map]1248's Labyrinthus[1.25.0]

by 1248 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Ohh! Now I get it! That's interesting. Right, poor Nyan Cat can be stuck in an infinite loop. That's not clear from the message, by the way. I suggest to change it to:

“Oh no! Nyan Cat was teleported 10 times in a row and died of motion sickness!”

;-)

(or something like this.)
Haha ok I will change this

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Levels 3.56 and 3.63 are identical, except for the apples.

Also, the game seems to drain the CPU a lot. I looked into the labyrinthus mod and the code there looks really inefficient, it basically sets many nodes in each tick. That's not efficient.

I'm pretty sure this game should be able to run with a low CPU usage.

by 1248 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Levels 3.56 and 3.63 are identical, except for the apples.

Also, the game seems to drain the CPU a lot. I looked into the labyrinthus mod and the code there looks really inefficient, it basically sets many nodes in each tick. That's not efficient.

I'm pretty sure this game should be able to run with a low CPU usage.
This is a WIP subgame so I will try to improve the register_globalstep function untill it becomes a Subgame Release (Labyrinthus 2.0.0).
I will look after level 3.56 and 3.63

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

To avoid overusing CPU you can add a 'timer' (using dtime) in order to call the functions every seconds or more!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

I just tried out this subgame yesterday, and I love it already. (I would still be playing if I hadn't accidentally placed a node down and ruined the world because I couldn't dig it again).

I suggest that you put all relevant nodes to Labyrinthus in the labyrinthus mod and delete all the other mods because they take up extra space.

I made a mod overriding some of the textures of the game to my liking. I'll post it here in case anyone wants to try it out.
Attachments
labyrinthus_override.zip
(10.4 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

by 1248 » Post

v-rob wrote:I just tried out this subgame yesterday, and I love it already. (I would still be playing if I hadn't accidentally placed a node down and ruined the world because I couldn't dig it again). I have a question, though: How do I update Labyrinthus? Do I redownload the world or the subgame? Does it reset my progress?

I suggest that you put all relevant nodes to Labyrinthus in the labyrinthus mod and delete all the other mods because they take up extra space.

I made a mod overriding some of the textures of the game to my liking. I'll post it here in case anyone wants to try it out.
You only have to update the subgame not the world. Than you will not lose your progress.
I will test it.

Maybe I will use some of your textures in the game.

Re: [Game/Map]1248's Labyrinthus[1.26.0]

by 1248 » Post

Labyrinthus 1.26.0 is released with 15 new levels for world 3 and 5 new levels for world 2.
Other changes:
I added a new hud.
You can not dig any node.
If you sneak you will restart the level (removed restart levels button).
Some new textures for box, button etc. from v-rob
I also improved register_globalstep. (My CPU befor chages:45% after:12%)

The last update in this year :)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Level 2.224:
Not sure if this intentional, but since v1.26.0, you can unlock the exit if you just push the upper color box just 1 step downwards. There is no need to move the boxes to the floor markers in their correct color.
IIRC this was different in earlier versions.

EDIT: When Nyan Cat walked on the green reversal arrows, the ball shooting direction is not reversed. E.g. when I collect a ball, enter reverse mode, press the left key, the cat walks right but when I hit space bar, the ball goes to the right. Intentional?
I would expect the ball shooting direction to be reversed as well.

I hate those green arrows anyway, they're just annoying. :P Why do you keep them?

by 1248 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Level 2.224:
Not sure if this intentional, but since v1.26.0, you can unlock the exit if you just push the upper color box just 1 step downwards. There is no need to move the boxes to the floor markers in their correct color.
IIRC this was different in earlier versions.
No this is not intentional
I changed it in 1.26.1
Wuzzy wrote: EDIT: When Nyan Cat walked on the green reversal arrows, the ball shooting direction is not reversed. E.g. when I collect a ball, enter reverse mode, press the left key, the cat walks right but when I hit space bar, the ball goes to the right. Intentional?
yes, intentional.
Wuzzy wrote: I hate those green arrows anyway, they're just annoying. :P Why do you keep them?
There is a lot of work in it.
I have to change many levels.
So I will not remove them.

Labyrinthus 1.26.1 is released
(First release this year)

Re: [Game/Map]1248's Labyrinthus[1.26.1]

by 1248 » Post

Labyrinthus 1.27.0 is released with 10 new Levels.

Re: [Game/Map]1248's Labyrinthus[1.28.0]

by 1248 » Post

Labyrinthus 1.28.0 is released with 15 new Levels.

Re: [Game/Map]1248's Labyrinthus[1.29.0]

by 1248 » Post

Labyrinthus 1.29.0 is released with 10 new Levels.
The next version Labyrinthus 1.30.0 will complete world 3.
In one of the next versions I will also add a function to reset one move

Re: [Game/Map]1248's Labyrinthus[1.30.0]

by 1248 » Post

Labyrinthus 1.30.0 is released with 14 new levels. World 3 is complete.

Now we have:
18 level for World 1
250 level for World 2
174 level for World 3
=442 level

I will now start with World 4. It will be the last World. World 4 will be a very hard world with 80-90 levels.
I hope that I can also add a function to reset one move in Labyrinthus 1.31.0.
I will release the last 80-90 levels in 9 updates--> 10 levels per update.
The last update will be Labyrinthus 2.0.0 and than I will try to move it to "Subgame Releases".
After that I will not work on Labyrinthus so often.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Congratulations for completing World 3! It's really amazing how many levels you created. This game can keep one busy for quite a while. Keep up the good work!
I'm looking forward to World 4. I wonder how hard they will me. :D

A few levels from World 3 were a bit disappointing, you sometimes just duplicated some levels. :-( Why did you do this?

Bug: The Minetest version is always displayed as “0.4.16”, even if you use a different version. Use minetest.get_version().string (look it up in lua_api.txt).

Suggestions:
If you want your game to be released in a good shape, I think a couple of improvements need to be done.
None of this is required for the Subgame Releases forums, it's more about quality.

1)
Please, please, PLEASE get rid of the annoying node highlighting. This is one of the most annoying things in this game. I hate this black box thing! xD

2)
Remove the item slots from the inventory formspec. They don't make any sense. Maybe you can use the inventory formspec for something useful if you want.

Note the sfinv mod will likely interfere with your work. You can safely delete it. This mod adds the fancy tabs in Minetest Game. You probably don't need them.

3)
Since this is a major gotcha: In level 1.12, show a note on the screen that you must hit space bar (the jump key) to shoot the ball.
It's easy to get stuck here for no reason if you don't know or forgot about the space bar thing.
In later levels, this note should not appear because it could become quickly annoying.

4)
Update the README file with all important instructions. Especially installation instructions.
You forgot to mention that the sneak key restarts the level.

5)
Add sounds. Seriously! I can't stress enough how much of a difference this will make to your game. A game without sounds is just incomplete in my opinion. You can browse on http://opengameart.org/.

Copying sounds from other free subgames is also an option, of course. Just don't forget to check the license give credit to be safe.

6)
Add some background music. This is easier than you think.
You can add the mpd mod for a simple music player:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17770&p=310315

The mod works out of the box and default music is included. :-)

But maybe you want to replace the music. There is plenty of high-quality free music to find on http://freemusicarchive.org/
You may also want to reduce the pause between songs, which is set to 30 seconds (find setting at top of mpd/init.lua).

7)
Rework the textures. Pretty much all of them. I don't really like the default textures, they don't fit the game IMO. You probably need to find an artist for this. I know we have a few skilled texture pack makers around here. If you're lucky, you can convince one to help you.

For example, the box texture is just junglewood planks. It doesn't look like a real box.

8)
Remove all mods which you don't actually use. They just add bloat to your game, making it slower to load and increasing file size.

I think you can safely delete the following mods:
- boats
- carts
- beds
- bucket
- creative
- doors
- farming
- give_initial_stuff
- killme
- mesecons
- mobs (WTF?!)
- screwdriver
- sfinv
- sethome
- stairs
- vessels
- walls
- xpanes

I tried it on my own, the game works perfectly well without any of these mods.
But better backup everything before you do this, just in case.

by 1248 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:A few levels from World 3 were a bit disappointing, you sometimes just duplicated some levels. :-( Why did you do this?
1. Sometimes it is very hard to have new ideas
2. When I made a level and uploaded the new version I will not change them anymore.
Sorry for that
Wuzzy wrote: Bug: The Minetest version is always displayed as “0.4.16”, even if you use a different version. Use minetest.get_version().string (look it up in lua_api.txt).
This is not realy a bug. I think everybody now his own minetest version. It may not be worded correctly. But it shows the needed minetest version for my game, because they are sometimes not realy compatible.
Wuzzy wrote: 1)
Please, please, PLEASE get rid of the annoying node highlighting. This is one of the most annoying things in this game. I hate this black box thing! xD
What do you mean by that?? (My English is very bad)
(But I will also try to improve that haha ;) )
Wuzzy wrote: 2)
Remove the item slots from the inventory formspec. They don't make any sense. Maybe you can use the inventory formspec for something useful if you want.

Note the sfinv mod will likely interfere with your work. You can safely delete it. This mod adds the fancy tabs in Minetest Game. You probably don't need them.
I will remove the inventory before Labyrinthus 2.0.0
Wuzzy wrote: 3)
Since this is a major gotcha: In level 1.12, show a note on the screen that you must hit space bar (the jump key) to shoot the ball.
It's easy to get stuck here for no reason if you don't know or forgot about the space bar thing.
In later levels, this note should not appear because it could become quickly annoying.
I will think about this.(I already say something about the space bar in README and description and I will also make a little tutorial video after Labyrinthus 2.0.0)
Wuzzy wrote: 4)
Update the README file with all important instructions. Especially installation instructions.
You forgot to mention that the sneak key restarts the level.
I will change README and description.
Oh yes I forgot the sneak key
Wuzzy wrote: 5)
Add sounds. Seriously! I can't stress enough how much of a difference this will make to your game. A game without sounds is just incomplete in my opinion. You can browse on http://opengameart.org/.

Copying sounds from other free subgames is also an option, of course. Just don't forget to check the license give credit to be safe.
6)
Add some background music. This is easier than you think.
You can add the mpd mod for a simple music player:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17770&p=310315

The mod works out of the box and default music is included. :-)

But maybe you want to replace the music. There is plenty of high-quality free music to find on http://freemusicarchive.org/
You may also want to reduce the pause between songs, which is set to 30 seconds (find setting at top of mpd/init.lua).
I still think about background music, but I think this a game made by me and music by smeone else... I don't know
But yes I will add some sound.
Wuzzy wrote: 7)
Rework the textures. Pretty much all of them. I don't really like the default textures, they don't fit the game IMO. You probably need to find an artist for this. I know we have a few skilled texture pack makers around here. If you're lucky, you can convince one to help you.

For example, the box texture is just junglewood planks. It doesn't look like a real box.
I will changes them.
Wuzzy wrote: 8)
Remove all mods which you don't actually use. They just add bloat to your game, making it slower to load and increasing file size.
I tried it on my own, the game works perfectly well without any of these mods.
But better backup everything before you do this, just in case.
I copyed an other game when i started with Labyrinthus --> mobs mod
I will maybe do something with some of them.--> I will remove them with Labyrinthus 2.0.0

EDIT: I downloaded the music mod and I also found own music I will make a little poll in a few days.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

This is not realy a bug. I think everybody now his own minetest version. It may not be worded correctly. But it shows the needed minetest version for my game, because they are sometimes not realy compatible.
Why is showing “Minetest Version: 0.4.16” not a bug when you are actually using Minetest 0.5.0-dev? :P
I don't understand why you even show the Minetest version number in the first place. It's already displayed in the window title of Minetest. It doesn't make sense.
If you want to show compability information, I would rather write it in the README.
In Minetest, whenever you point something with the crosshair, it normally gets highlighted. It's the black cube-shaped outline which appears when you move the crosshair above a block:
Like so:
This black box is annoying in Labyrinthus, it shouldn't be there. It's a distraction.
I still think about background music, but I think this a game made by me and music by smeone else... I don't know
If you can make your own music … even better! xD
But don't feel bad for using the work of others to improve your own. The only thing that matters is the result. :-)
You are already using someone else's textures anyway. :P

by 1248 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Why is showing “Minetest Version: 0.4.16” not a bug when you are actually using Minetest 0.5.0-dev? :P
I don't understand why you even show the Minetest version number in the first place. It's already displayed in the window title of Minetest. It doesn't make sense.
If you want to show compability information, I would rather write it in the README.
In Minetest, whenever you point something with the crosshair, it normally gets highlighted. It's the black cube-shaped outline which appears when you move the crosshair above a block:
Like so:
This black box is annoying in Labyrinthus, it shouldn't be there. It's a distraction.
If you can make your own music … even better! xD
But don't feel bad for using the work of others to improve your own. The only thing that matters is the result. :-)
You are already using someone else's textures anyway. :P
ok I will try to improve that
In Labyrinthus 1.31.0 I will try to improve No.1, No.2, No.4, No.7 and I will remove some mods from No.8 from your list.
I will also add an experimental button to reset one move.

Re: [Game/Map]1248's Labyrinthus[1.31.0]

by 1248 » Post

Labyrinthus 1.31.0 is released with 10 new level and many changes.
New textures....

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Nice! Thanks for the changes.

The idea of using a sci-fi theme is interesting. Walls and floor are good. The box now looks like a real box. It's great to see how useful the diamond block texture is. :D

I would restore the textures for water, ice and TNT to their originals, however. Or at least make them look like water and ice again. The new water/ice textures just look too weird. Water should look like water, not like a blue floor. Otherwise it may be hard to figure out you can push crates into it.
The TNT texture also looks strange. I think the default TNT texture is fine. Unless you can find/make something better, of course. :-)
I'm not too happy with a few textures. A lot of textures lack depth and look to flat. Examples: TNT button, door button, the “wandering light”. You get the idea.

I suggest for now to fix the water, ice and TNT as they look the most weird now. The other things are not so important.

Bug: When you use “Reset Move” after you activated a 30s timer, it screws up the level.

Problem: The levels seem to take a LOT longer to load than previously. Most levels take about 2-4 seconds to load now. Level 2.213 takes a whopping 5 seconds!

by 1248 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Nice! Thanks for the changes.

The idea of using a sci-fi theme is interesting. Walls and floor are good. The box now looks like a real box. It's great to see how useful the diamond block texture is. :D

I would restore the textures for water, ice and TNT to their originals, however. Or at least make them look like water and ice again. The new water/ice textures just look too weird. Water should look like water, not like a blue floor. Otherwise it may be hard to figure out you can push crates into it.
The TNT texture also looks strange. I think the default TNT texture is fine. Unless you can find/make something better, of course. :-)
I'm not too happy with a few textures. A lot of textures lack depth and look to flat. Examples: TNT button, door button, the “wandering light”. You get the idea.

I suggest for now to fix the water, ice and TNT as they look the most weird now. The other things are not so important.

Bug: When you use “Reset Move” after you activated a 30s timer, it screws up the level.

Problem: The levels seem to take a LOT longer to load than previously. Most levels take about 2-4 seconds to load now. Level 2.213 takes a whopping 5 seconds!
Ok I will change TNT, water and ice.--> This are not the final textures
The Reset Move Button is very WIP I will try to fix the bug until the next few versions.
I will also try to fix the load time.
(background music is also planned in the next few updates. sounds will come in one of the last versions of Labyrinthus)

Re: [Game/Map]1248's Labyrinthus[1.32.0]

by 1248 » Post

Labyrinthus 1.32.0 is released with 10 new level.
I changed the water, tnt, ice and apple texture.
I also added some background music, you can choose them in the inventory.
-->I know the music is very simple but it is 100% made by me (It is very hard to make your own music)
I will also add more in future updates.

Wuzzy, I don't know why the levels take longer to load than previously (they load immediately on my computer)
I can also not find a bug when I use “Reset Move”. What exactly happens?

I also released a new Trailer of Labyrinthus
Last edited by 1248 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:50, edited 1 time in total.

Re: [Game/Map]1248's Labyrinthus[1.33.0]

by 1248 » Post

Labyrinthus 1.33.0 is released with 10 new levels

Re: [Game/Map]1248's Labyrinthus[1.34.0]

by 1248 » Post

Labyrinthus 1.34.0 is released with 10 new levels
Last edited by 1248 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

Re: [Game/Map]1248's Labyrinthus[1.35.0]

by 1248 » Post

Labyrinthus 1.35.0 is released with 10 new levels

Re: [Game/Map]1248's Labyrinthus[1.36.0]

by 1248 » Post

labyrinthus 1.36.0 is released with 10 new levels