[Abandoned] [Game] Hamlet's Quest "Valhalleluja" [3.2.2] [hamlets_quest]

Nordal
GitHub: Nordall

Re: [Abandoned Game] Hamlet's Quest [2.4.1] [hamlets_quest]

by Nordal » Post

Yes, that's sad. But you made your decision. I say thank you again for your work! Too bad you leave it.

Rubenwardy's ContentDB can be a big step forward, I think.
CFS - still widely unknown

Hamlet
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet

Re: [Game] Hamlet's Quest [2.4.2] [hamlets_quest]

by Hamlet » Post

Version 2.4.2 "Headhunter" released.
Updated for MT v5.0.1
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Good to have you back, Hamlet!

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

texmex wrote:Good to have you back, Hamlet!
Thank you :)

Hamlet

Re: [Game] Hamlet's Quest [2.5.0] [hamlets_quest]

by Hamlet » Post

Version 2.5.0 "Tesskuano" released.

- Added "Binoculars" (modified version, i.e. "telescope")
- Added "Simple Arcs" by TumeniNodes
- Removed "Simple Arcs" by PEAK
- Changed:
"craftguide": v1.8
"doc": v1.3.0
"doc_minetest_game": development version
"hudbars": v2.1.0

pandaro
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Post

nice hamlet!

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

pandaro wrote:nice hamlet!
Thanks!

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Btw, I had the same workflow as you seem to have regarding MTG mods, so I made this: https://github.com/minetest-game-mods

It retains commit history but only for the specific mod, updates daily and is good for inclusion in game projects as a repo or as a submodule.
Last edited by texmex on Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

texmex wrote:Btw, I hade the same workflow as you seem to have regarding MTG mods, so I made this: https://github.com/minetest-game-mods

It retains commit history but only for the specific mod, updates daily and is good for inclusion in game projects as a repo or as a submodule.
Ah, good to know! Thanks for sharing :)

Hamlet

Re: [Game] Hamlet's Quest [2.5.1] [hamlets_quest]

by Hamlet » Post

Version 2.5.1 "Tesskuano - hotfix" released.

v. 2.5.1 (2019-09-16)

- Changed:
"Craftguide": development version
"Smaller steps": v1.3.0

- Removed:
Minetest Game's "dungeon_loot"

- Notes:
Fixed possible craftguide crash on *NIX O.S. (See: https://github.com/minetest-mods/craftguide/issues/88)
All the stair nodes now use proper shapes.
Dungeons' loot is already managed by .../hamlets_quest/mods/map/loot/

Hamlet

Re: [Game] Hamlet's Quest [2.5.2] [hamlets_quest]

by Hamlet » Post

Version 2.5.2 "Tesskuano - hotfix #2" released.

Changed:
- Mobs Redo: v1.5.0
- Snow Walkers: v0.2.0

Note: this update fixes a showstopper [game crash] bug in Snow Walkers.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

I am happy that you're back and brought Hamlet's Quest up-to-date with the current minetest version! And considered new mods like the great simple arcs fork of TumeniNodes.

The MeseHub links on the first post are broken. I now downloaded the latest version from GitHub. Found you there.

Is the showcase map (109.26MB) at http://www.mediafire.com/file/d5wmgp7dd ... .0.7z/file still up-to-date or even necessary?

Thank you for bringing Hamlet's Quest back!

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Nordal wrote:I am happy that you're back and brought Hamlet's Quest up-to-date with the current minetest version! And considered new mods like the great simple arcs fork of TumeniNodes.
:) Yes, his arched doors are a must have for a medieval setting.
Nordal wrote: The MeseHub links on the first post are broken. I now downloaded the latest version from GitHub. Found you there.
Ooops. In the process of updating the topics I forgot my own game. LOL
I'm going to fix it immediately, thanks for telling me.
Nordal wrote: Is the showcase map (109.26MB) at http://www.mediafire.com/file/d5wmgp7dd ... .0.7z/file still up-to-date or even necessary?
I have just tested it on Minetest v5.1.0, it is still fully functional.
It is not necessary, I have made it available just to allow end users to have a preview of the game, especially about those features not present in Minetest Game; the crafting guide, the portable oil lamp/torches, the thirst/hunger mechanics, and most notably drawbridges, portcullises, etc.
Furthermore, nearby the stronghold there's a snowy forest: there one can test himself/herself against the Snow Walkers.
So, necessary never, only useful to get an overview idea of the game.
Nordal wrote:Thank you for bringing Hamlet's Quest back!
My pleasure!
Hopefully for the Winter Solstice (December 21/22) I will be able to release the quarterly update, which should be based on Minetest Game v5.1.0, and add dwarves, elves, ghosts, and banshees.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

I put it into the worlds-folder but in the menu it does not appear as a selectable world. I have MT 5.2.0 dev installed,

The torch light flickers a little bit, I guess this is intended. But additionally it constantly goes on and off and on and so on. Say - every two or three seconds. It feels very buggy.

In the craftguide there are missing some things: bed, ropes, the crop tools and many other. May I do something wrong? And there are no descriptions/names of the node shown if you hover or click it.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

EDIT: I'm sorry. Somehow I submitted the msg two times.
I put it into the worlds-folder but in the menu it does not appear as a selectable world. I have MT 5.2.0 dev installed,

The torch light flickers a little bit, I guess this is intended. But additionally it constantly goes on and off and on and so on. Say - every two or three seconds. It feels very buggy.

In the craftguide there are missing some things: bed, ropes, the crop tools and many other. May I do something wrong? And there are no descriptions/names of the nodes shown if you hover or click it.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Nordal wrote:I put it into the worlds-folder but in the menu it does not appear as a selectable world. I have MT 5.2.0 dev installed,
This is quite strange: I've just checked the map and players' databases type, they're both sqlite3, and I'm not aware of any plans on dropping sqlite support in the next versions. Honestly I have no clue why it should not work, beside the fact that it's an unstable Minetest version.
Nordal wrote: The torch light flickers a little bit, I guess this is intended. But additionally it constantly goes on and off and on and so on. Say - every two or three seconds. It feels very buggy.
I'm not sure that it is intended. I've seen that as well, but I thought it was due to a voxelmanipulator (and anyway the idea itself is a bit "hacky"); I've checked the code, it's just invisible nodes emitting light, maybe their timing needs to be tuned a bit. You should tell BrunoMine, HardTorch topic.
I haven't done it myself, yet, because I'm trying to add localization support to all the used mods... alphabetical order.
Nordal wrote: In the craftguide there are missing some things: bed, ropes, the crop tools and many other. May I do something wrong? And there are no descriptions/names of the nodes shown if you hover or click it.
There's been some issues like those with the craftguide (JP and Bell07 have been working on fixing them), I've been using the latest stable release (1.10.1) and everything works fine; I'd suggest you to manually update that, it is in /minetest/games/hamlets_quest/mods/tools_etc/ just delete the old version and put in there the new stable version.

But, again, unstable version + mod = trying your luck.

There is another known bug you might stumble on: castle tapestries hold a whole node instead than just 1pixel... I've filed a bug report about that.

However, should you still have issues with it, consider that being on a minetest-dev version is probably the first cause of such issues; I guess that very few developers release their mods based on bleeding-edge code.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

@Nordal

- The oil lamp's light is smooth, thus I'd say that the torches' flickering is intentional.
- The reason why the map isn't working on -dev is probably the old auth.txt file, I've migrated that to sqlite as well; download link updated, let me know if now it works on minetest-dev.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

However, should you still have issues with it, consider that being on a minetest-dev version is probably the first cause of such issues; I guess that very few developers release their mods based on bleeding-edge code.
I compiled an MT 5.0.1 version to have the same base as you.
There's been some issues like those with the craftguide (JP and Bell07 have been working on fixing them), I've been using the latest stable release (1.10.1) and everything works fine; I'd suggest you to manually update that, it is in /minetest/games/hamlets_quest/mods/tools_etc/ just delete the old version and put in there the new stable version.
The latest version is better, it seems to show everything with recipe and use, what I like very much. One strange thing: I can only use the back button now. The forward button does nothing.
You should tell BrunoMine, HardTorch topic.
I exchanged the hardtorch mod with the latest downloadable version. Now the "on and off" is gone, it works fine.
The oil lamp's light is smooth, thus I'd say that the torches' flickering is intentional.
I think you're right. I like this mod very much, now that it works properly.
The reason why the map isn't working on -dev is probably the old auth.txt file, I've migrated that to sqlite as well; download link updated, let me know if now it works on minetest-dev.
Hm, I'm sorry that you worked on it now that I compiled 5.0,1. I'll try both maps on both versions.

Is there any recipe you didn't touch to make the item harder to get? :)

Can you tell me depth and frequency from which certain ores occur, please? Particularly the standard ores (iron, copper, tin, mese, diamond). Is their occurrence biome dependant? I'm in snow biome and can't find iron till -108 now. I thought -70 is the borderline. I'm sorry, you tweaked so much, that I am unsure about this.

Did you incorporate the latest version of addi's darkage? With help of Vanessa I made colorizing of the windows with unifieddyes possible again.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Nordal wrote: Hm, I'm sorry that you worked on it now that I compiled 5.0,1. I'll try both maps on both versions.
No problems, anyway sooner or later I would have had to do it. :)
By the way, there's no need to match the Minetest Game's version with the Minetest Engine: I am using Hamlet's Quest (MTG v5.0.1) on Minetest engine v5.1.0 and everything is fine.
Nordal wrote: Is there any recipe you didn't touch to make the item harder to get? :)
Uh, actually if I reckon correctly the recipes that I changed are only the ones that allowed to craft eternal lights using torches, which now require mese crystals.
However you can see what I changed here:
../hamlets_quest/mods/hq_tweaks/init.lua
Nordal wrote: Can you tell me depth and frequency from which certain ores occur, please? Particularly the standard ores (iron, copper, tin, mese, diamond). Is their occurrence biome dependant? I'm in snow biome and can't find iron till -108 now. I thought -70 is the borderline. I'm sorry, you tweaked so much, that I am unsure about this.
Actaully I have not touched ores' spawns (you can see it in the aforementioned file), they are vanilla Minetest Game's defaults.
I've read that ores in desertic biomes are harder to find, but to be honest I do not have any idea about what exactly changed for ores in Minetest v5.x
Nordal wrote: Did you incorporate the latest version of addi's darkage? With help of Vanessa I made colorizing of the windows with unifieddyes possible again.
I will in the next release: I try to stay on stable MTG and mods releases to avoid having to release 'patches' every few days, I'd like to keep a release cycle of four months; the main issue right now is that I've read that something isn't working with Subterrane & DFCaverns when using Minetest Game v5.1. I hope that they will be solved - if they haven't been already fixed - in time for the next release.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

No problems, anyway sooner or later I would have had to do it. :)
That's fine.
The mistake was all the time on my side. After decompressing the map I should have removed the upmost folder named like the archive. With the directory called just "Hamlets Quest" as "root" everything works fine. It appears as a separate selectable world in the main menu. I'm glad to now benefit from this nice piece of work at last. :) A very good idea besides to introduce a game, I find!
Actaully I have not touched ores' spawns (you can see it in the aforementioned file), they are vanilla Minetest Game's defaults. I've read that ores in desertic biomes are harder to find, but to be honest I do not have any idea about what exactly changed for ores in Minetest v5.x
Finally I found iron at a depth of -108. The wiki still tells something about -42 or -62. There was a definitely a change. Maybe I look into the change log.
Uh, actually if I reckon correctly the recipes that I changed are only the ones that allowed to craft eternal lights using torches, which now require mese crystals. However you can see what I changed here:
../hamlets_quest/mods/hq_tweaks/init.lua
Thank you for the link. It seems I have concluded wrong from the eternity light recipes. I apologize.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Nordal wrote:I'm glad to now benefit from this nice piece of work at last. :) A very good idea besides to introduce a game, I find!
Cool :)
Nordal wrote:Finally I found iron at a depth of -108. The wiki still tells something about -42 or -62. There was a definitely a change. Maybe I look into the change log.
Heh, I've started a new map and I've been building a sort of underground city on multiple levels, I've reached about -80 and haven't found any iron ores yet - unfortunately it's all sandstone and sand down there.
Nordal wrote:Thank you for the link. It seems I have concluded wrong from the eternity light recipes. I apologize.
No problems! :)

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

As part of my answer here.

Quite a long explanation, but well... once for all, and for future reference; a sort of mobs' 'road map'.

The surface should be almost 'monsters-free', save a few exceptions (e.g. tree monster) because the 'hard part' of the game should be surviving and collecting resources - of course if you go bug an 'aggressive' animal (e.g. boars), well it's your choice.

Monsters should be an exception, instead than the rule, and should always have a good reason for being around. The exceptions (e.g. tree monsters, snow walkers) are to be seen as 'mysteries' adding to the game but not turning it into a 'kill-'em-all' or worse.

Humans should act as possible source of trouble: some are good, some are neutral, some are hostile. One could think of them as travellers, or commoners, or bandits.

Their bones serve the purpose of giving a reason why ghosts and banshees should be around. If there is a spirit, then there is also a corpse, or there was recently.

These are the monsters that I would like to remove, or that I think to keep, because I believe that some of them don't fit the medieval setting, either in a folklore-friendly or merely logic way:

the sand and dirt monster - we could think of them of elemental monsters summoned by a warlock, but... no warlocks around.
Is the whole land damned? I don't think so.

The mese monster... let's pretend it's an Imp... but that MESE writing on its side... well. I just can't see it.

The oerkki looks like an evil wizard so it's ok.

The stone monster (stone elemental) is ok even without a summoner since it's underground, the place where bad things walk around; same for the lava flan.

The dungeon master is ok in itself, it's not folklore-friendly but it's a magical creature shooting fireballs - if we were medieval persons we could think of it like a demon, instead of thinking 'now, why that thing is here'?

The whole point is that: one should never think 'why that monster is here'.

Goblins and spiders are ok in itself.

Dwarves and Umbras should serve the purpose of balancing the hostile mobs, keeping them at bay.

'Rock-paper-scissors' principle: I don't think that the underground should be 'monsters only', exactly as I don't think that the surface should be swarmed by monsters just because it's night.

The Balrog might be seen as ultimate challenge: you are not required to fight it, but if you want it's there; furthermore, it serves the purpose to make it clear that 'you can't always win'... like in real life, there's always someone stronger/smarter/whatever than you.

In other words: you are not a god, nor a demi-god; sometimes you can only run for your life. This is why there is HBSprint: W + E = RUN!!! :)

If you have actually read all of the above, well, kudos!

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

A very detailed explanation, development plan and game philosophy!
Nordal wrote:
I'm particularly interested in the good elves. That you can do monster-mobs I definitely know. ;-)
I just wanted to make a little ironic allusion concerning my fighting skills and at the same respect the quality of your mobs. I'm honestly curious what elves-mod there will be. I just say that 'cause such subtleties sometimes get lost in written speech and I want to be sure you understand me right.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Nordal wrote: I just wanted to make a little ironic allusion concerning my fighting skills and at the same respect the quality of your mobs. I'm honestly curious what elves-mod there will be. I just say that 'cause such subtleties sometimes get lost in written speech and I want to be sure you understand me right.
:) don't worry, I got your irony.
Regarding the elves mod, I am waiting.

Basically it's just a matter of finishing the split of Mobs Sidhe in two separate mods; in that mod elves are hostile, while in the standalone version they will be neutral like the dwarfs mod.

There are various reasons why I am waiting.
In Mobs Sidhe elves are hostile because I choose to make them like they are depicted in Norse or Celtic mythology: "elf" = "spirit", and even nowadays people avoids disturbing them Wikipedia link.

In the standalone version, instead, they would be like Tolkien and other Fantasy authors depict them: an humanoid race, that is not spirits, that can be either friendly, neutral or hostile toward humans depending on the story's background.

Since I don't want to create a "Mobs Dwarves" with elves textures - that is a mod adding some npcs roaming around on the surface, I'm keeping an eye on the mods that could allow adding trading/bartering, and above all, quests.

So, elves could also trade for goods and give quests.
The simplest quest could be 'I will give you one gold ingot for 25 raw mutton beefs'.

While more complex quests could involve custom dungeons generation:
'I've lost my father's bow in the Dungeon of The Shadows, I will give you 10 gold ingots if you bring it back to me.'

By accepting the quest, the player would be teleported in the dungeon - which would be in the sky, since there is a lot of unused space there - and at the end of the dungeon the player would be teleported back where it accepted the quest, for the reward.

This is the plan, so far I have been focusing on the maintenance of my various mods to fix bugs and make them Minetest v5.x ready; now I will focus on developing a dungeon generator suitable for this kind of project.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

To those who might be interested:

It is possible to try the next version, downloading it from the development branch at this url: https://gitlab.com/H4mlet/hamlets_quest/tree/dev-2-6-0

Do not use it for your "Stable" maps: it is a "Development" version.

The current changes are listed here: changelog.txt
The "Added" section lacks: "Placeable ingots" viewtopic.php?t=21491

NOTE:
It does not feature any mobs.

The Stable release is planned for Sunday, December 22.