[Abandoned] [Game] Hamlet's Quest "Valhalleluja" [3.2.2] [hamlets_quest]

Hamlet
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet

Re: [Game] Hamlet's Quest "Valhalleluja" [3.1.2] [hamlets_quest]

by Hamlet » Post

goats wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 01:37
I have no issues with 3.1.2 no_df_caverns branch so far. Been to y - 240 and spent quality time mining, returned to surface. So, thus far: MTG and HQ with dfcaverns break, HQ with dfcaverns removed by me, or from your new branch, does not break.
Perhaps give a try to Cave Realms / Cave Realms lite, it should be less memory intensive than DF Style Caverns.
goats wrote:
Wooden bowls - I understand that there was a change, but i was really certain that sometimes the old recipe was present instead of the new ones. [...]
It just came to my mind a possible explanation:
Crafting Guide stores the recipes in a database in the world's folder, probably when you switched to the newer game's version it found the old recipes and that's why it shown the older ones instead than the newer.
goats wrote:
I have no idea about the tools. I just make sure to use them on their primary intended nodes once first, before poking dirt or grass or something just because it happens the be in the wielded slot at the moment. :D
Good that you reported that unpleasant issue, I can't imagine the amount of people cursing me for breaking their swords on leaves O:-)
goats wrote:
[...] It is apparently otherwise not broken, just processor-intensive. (So intensive the game and the engine cannot exit normally on machines like mine.)
This is good to know, if you could try Cave Realms or Cave Realms Lite and tell me if it is less memory intensive, I could create a different branch: Hamlet's Quest + Cave Realms.
That way people having less powerful computers could still enjoy the underground biomes.
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page

goats

by goats » Post

I'll see about Cave Realms /Lite and the other suggestion i had received which was to use the prior version of dfcaverns without the newer overgeneration code. It may take a while to really check these out, but certainly easy enough to report if any render older/weaker machines unresponsive at -50 or -100. (Pfft, a dense forest, especially jungle, can drop frame rate like a meteor on this one.) And hopefully i can get a hold of my slightly-less-awful box for testing sometime next week.

Hamlet
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Sounds good!
By the way, I hate jungletrees. If it wasn't a medieval game, I would have added napalm just to get rid of them.

This reminds me of a song...

The Doors - The End (Apocalypse Now video)
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page

goats

by goats » Post

Hamlet wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 21:11
By the way, I hate jungletrees. If it wasn't a medieval game, I would have added napalm just to get rid of them.
I was thinking about this the day after you mentioned it, and it seems like a lovely idea - one can start a spreading fire anyway - but for me it would only quadruple down on the insane lag, at least until the forests finished burning. :D

So i had neglected to mention: Activating the Craftguide mod does fix the oddities i experience with the current in-game version. For example, it lists now 8 other crafts possible with cotton, instead of merely mentioning that it will burn. Before, for example rope would say it is crafted with cotton, but cotton wouldn't say you can craft rope from it. This doesn't even make sense to me, as the guide does have the recipes. Is mystery!

Saturn

Re: [Game] Hamlet's Quest "Valhalleluja" [3.1.3] [hamlets_quest]

by Saturn » Post

Released v3.1.3

Removed:
- "Item Drop"

Saturn

Re: [Game] Hamlet's Quest "Valhalleluja" [3.2.0] [hamlets_quest]

by Saturn » Post

Released v3.2.0

v. 3.2.0 (2020-07-27)
Added:
- "Autoplant" https://github.com/krondor-game/autoplant

v. 3.1.4 (2020-07-27)
Changed:
- "HUD Bars" updated to v2.3.2
- "Basic Materials" updated to v2020-07-12
- "Round Tree Trunks" updated to v1.1.0
- "Skylayer" updated to v2020-05-03
- "Stonebrick Dungeons" updated to v0.4.1
- "Radiant Damage" updated to v2020-06-04
- "Soft Leaves" updated to v0.2.1
- "Farming Redo" updated to v2020-07-11
- "Crafting Guide" updated to v2020-07-27
- "Recycle Age" updated to v1.3.4
- "Hidden Doors" updated to v1.12.1
- "Smaller Steps" updated to v1.4.1

NOTE: "Item Drop" has been removed due to an issue occurring when multiple nodes are dropped in-game, for example when hitting a falling node that triggers an avalanche; this made the game crash, and impossible to restart.

Saturn

Re: [Game] Hamlet's Quest "Valhalleluja" [3.2.1] [hamlets_quest]

by Saturn » Post

Released v3.2.1

Changed:
- "Crafting Guide" replaced with "Crafting Guide Plus" https://github.com/random-geek/cg_plus

timsoft
GitHub: timsoftgit

by timsoft » Post

hi, I am getting
"Invalid field wield_image (expected string got boolean).
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'register_item_raw'
...es\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:487: in function 'override_item'
....\games\hamlets_quest\mods\PHYSICSfallen_nodes\init.lua:183: in function 'TurnToFalling'
....\games\hamlets_quest\mods\PHYSICS\fallen_nodes\init.lua:193: in main chunk
any idea how to fix it?

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

timsoft wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 18:35
hi, I am getting
"Invalid field wield_image (expected string got boolean).
[...]
any idea how to fix it?
Unfortunately, no, I do not have the slightest idea: that mod - "fallen nodes" - only overrides some nodes, adding them to the "falling_node" group.
( https://codeberg.org/Hamlet/fallen_node ... t.lua#L155 )

I do not see how this can cause that error.

Are you using Minetest v5.3.0?

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

yes I am. I have added some of the mob mods since they were removed from the main in-game mods, but not much else.
I have better_fences, footprints, gates_long,mobkit,mobs,mobs_animal,mobs_monster,mobs_npc,mobs_others,sedimentology, and water_life in an attempt to restore similar mobs, but it doesn't look related to them, unless there is something in sedimentology interfering

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

timsoft wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 21:55
yes I am. I have added some of the mob mods since they were removed from the main in-game mods, but not much else.
I have better_fences, footprints, gates_long,mobkit,mobs,mobs_animal,mobs_monster,mobs_npc,mobs_others,sedimentology, and water_life in an attempt to restore similar mobs, but it doesn't look related to them, unless there is something in sedimentology interfering
I'd say it might be related to "sedimentology", since I guess that the other mods aren't modifying the mapgen.
I've had a similar issue with "Ethereal" conflicting with "Stonebrick Dungeons", I'd like to know why these issues happen.
Try disabling "sedimentology", if it clears the error then that's where the conflict is happening.
For sure it isn't related to mobs or nodes-adding mods.

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

you are right, it does appear to be sedimentology. I've taken that off for now. and those errors are gone.
thanks

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

timsoft wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 20:21
you are right, it does appear to be sedimentology. I've taken that off for now. and those errors are gone.
thanks
You're welcome!

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

i spoke too soon. I am still getting the error I mentioned at first. I also finally crafted a mapping kit on my new world with the 5.3 minetest (windows 64bit version), and it is not showing the minimap when I press f9, even with the mapping kit in the inventory. any ideas?

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

timsoft wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 17:44
i spoke too soon. I am still getting the error I mentioned at first. I also finally crafted a mapping kit on my new world with the 5.3 minetest (windows 64bit version), and it is not showing the minimap when I press f9, even with the mapping kit in the inventory. any ideas?
About the mapping kit, press "v", keybindings have been changed in v5.3.0

About the error, try creating a test map vith the vanilla Hamlet's Quest game, then try enabling the additional mods one by one, checking for each one if the error occurs. Also, enabling the console might be helpful (Advanced settings, search for "enable_console").

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

will do, i'll report back here. The V "fixed" the minimap, thanks I hadn't seen that the keys had changed..

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

it would be worth someone updating https://wiki.minetest.net/Controls which still has the old control key.

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

i've identified the problem mod, which is "better_fences"
all of the other ones, including sedimentology appear to be fine, but the moment you add better_fences you get the errors mentioned.

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

with the newer version i noticed that burning coal blocks don't burn indefinitely when lit with the flint like they used to. I've newer been able to use torches, so i used coal blocks instead. Is there a simple edit I can do to restore the previous behaviour for the coal blocks ?, as navigating underground without light is no fun

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

timsoft wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 21:18
with the newer version i noticed that burning coal blocks don't burn indefinitely when lit with the flint like they used to. I've newer been able to use torches, so i used coal blocks instead. Is there a simple edit I can do to restore the previous behaviour for the coal blocks ?, as navigating underground without light is no fun
Not that I know of, anyway:

1 - craft a torch
2 - hold it
3 - left click on a fire source, e.g.: a lit campfire, or a lit furnace

if you have flint and steel in your inventory you don't need an external source of fire

the same applies to oil lamps

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

i think i've found my problem with torches. sometimes my mouse seems to send a double-left-click instead of a single one. I've got it going on and off now, and can place it when it is on. I can now also see a bar going down showing the torch being used. I don't notice a progress on the oil lamp. does that last indefinitely?
With the torches, once they are used you can't use them for anything. They can't be "repaired" on the anvil, or used as fuel in a furnace. is the idea you just dump them?.
I also found that when you craft pies, a blueberry pie satiates you, but an apple pie does nothing.

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

timsoft wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 13:10
I can now also see a bar going down showing the torch being used. I don't notice a progress on the oil lamp. does that last indefinitely?
No, oil will last more than torches but it will slowly consume as well.
timsoft wrote:
With the torches, once they are used you can't use them for anything. They can't be "repaired" on the anvil, or used as fuel in a furnace. is the idea you just dump them?.
Yes, once they are completely used they simply get removed from the inventory.
timsoft wrote:
I also found that when you craft pies, a blueberry pie satiates you, but an apple pie does nothing.
This is something that I have to look into, probably apple pies aren't registered for use with "Hunger NG"; maybe it has already been fixed in newer versions.

However I'd suggest you to report both the fences issue and the pie issue on the related mods' threads: this way fixes will be on the main releases.

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

i tried to find which mod the pies were in, but although I found the apple pies in some configs, I didn't find blueberry pies, so I couldn't compare them, or figure out which one needed fixing. I think there may also be an issue with the onion soup, although beetroot soup works fine. I'll have a closer look at the fences one though.
I must say I am enjoying all the extra farming plants. thanks.I guess eventually some of the "more ores" will be craftable/smeltable into ingots and blocks of elements and compounds as well. My kids are learning about metals in school so they are enjoying it as well.

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

timsoft wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 20:24
i tried to find which mod the pies were in, but although I found the apple pies in some configs, I didn't find blueberry pies, so I couldn't compare them, or figure out which one needed fixing. I think there may also be an issue with the onion soup, although beetroot soup works fine. I'll have a closer look at the fences one though.
They are from the "Farming Redo" mod, but the hunger/satiation mechanics are from "Hunger NG"; it seems that those pies weren't registered on "Hunger NG", thus they don't restore hunger points.
You can check if they will work by hovering on them: it should appear a little window showing how many hunger points will be restored, if not, then they haven't been registered on "Hunger NG".

You can download from the online Content DB a newer version of "Hunger NG" that probably will be up to date, enabling it in your Hamlet's Quest game will safely override the older version.

timsoft wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 20:24
I must say I am enjoying all the extra farming plants. thanks.I guess eventually some of the "more ores" will be craftable/smeltable into ingots and blocks of elements and compounds as well. My kids are learning about metals in school so they are enjoying it as well.
The extra ores are from "Real Minerals", they are mainly cosmetic blocks in Hamlet's Quest and some of them can be converted into the default ingots by placing the extra ores ingots in the crafting grid (e.g. gold, copper, etc.) - try the "Real Test" game: there you will be able to craft items using these ores.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the game so far, although maybe it's a bit hardcore compared to the default Minetest Game. :)

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

certainily if your starting point is in a treeless frozen area it can be hard to get going, but survival game is what it is to start with, until you've got some steel and a bed to set your respawn point..
Recently heat damage was added. I get the odd behaviour that a coal block sitting on a 3x3 grid of glass blocks causes the glass blocks to catch on fire when you light the coal block. Is that supposed to happen?. the glass appears to be undamaged, but it is odd seeing flames coming off the glass.