[Abandoned] [Game] Hamlet's Quest "Valhalleluja" [3.2.2] [hamlets_quest]

Hamlet
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet

Re: [Game] Hamlet's Quest [2.2.2] [hamlets_quest]

by Hamlet » Post

Released v2.2.2:

- Updated 3D Armor, Everamzah Backpacks, Mobs Redo, Mobs Animal, Real Torch, Unified Dyes
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page

Hamlet

Re: [Game] Hamlet's Quest [2.3.0] [hamlets_quest]

by Hamlet » Post

Released v2.3.0 "Winter is coming"

- Updated the game base to Minetest Game v0.4.17
- Added: Path marker signs [breadcrumbs], Frame, Mountain climbing [handholds], Hardcore torchs [hardtorch], Sounding line, Snow Walkers [mobs_others]
- Removed: Real Torches
- All the modules have been updated to their latest versions.

https://github.com/H4mlet/hamlets_quest/releases

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Showcase map updated for the latest release.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Being halfway to the first stable release I've thought to write you a... Teaser:

"To be or not to be?"

You used to think that you were being, but suddenly you have realized that you were not because real people have real needs while you did not ever since you can remember; for a turn of luck - wether good or bad, Fate will tell - now you do have real needs. Being alive can be a pain, but how can you tell what is a pleasure if you did not ever know what pain is? That is the whole point.

Being born in an age were gunpowder and electricity are yet to come, you need to roll up your sleeves and prove your muscles are worth for what they have been given you to.

Standing in a field of grass the wind blows as the wild beasts roam minding their own businesses - you are blessed, for all you have to do is to take what Mother Nature has readied for you to just to take it... unlike Town Folks you will never suffer the lack of a bed where to sleep, a roof under which rest, food to eat.

But every rose has its thorns: as the cat eats the mouse, there are some thinking that you could be a good meal - have no fear, as powerful as they could be, you are a step above them regarding intelligence: that's the ace up your sleeve, use it and it won't fail you.

And remember: if life on the above world seems though, think again - the Abyss is just a few meters under your feet. You might think that your arm is strong and your luck will protect you... it might be, or it might be not. Deep under the ground lies an hostile realm, but as fearsome and harsh it can be, well, its wonders are worth the journey.

Prepare yourself, for the Underworld Kings and Overlords have earned their titles, now it's your turn to prove yourself being worth of being called an Hero - or if you just want the loot... well, wealth beyond your wildest dreams... beyond any measure.

To be or not to be? That is the quest.
Exploring the edges of conspiracy. Gaining more and more, with the chance of suddenly losing all at one time. Surrounded by the most fearworthy enemies, you are almost sacrificed. Except if you prepare. To play or not to play, thats the question here.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Speaking of enemies, I am trying to make this game unique from that point of view.
The snow walkers are just the first step toward that goal; in the future releases I will add the Sidhe - pronounced "shee", "the mounds' people" - i.e. dwarves, elves, banshees.
I have tried to implement those mobs sticking to the Celtic and Northern folklore.
I will remove dirt monsters, mese monsters, oerkkis and sand monsters.
I will also add the humans, which in their latest version (not yet released) drop bones on death, allowing for banshees and ghosts to spawn. To give you an idea, the forest nearby my fort - showcase map - has become a nightmare; I was cutting wood until dusk, too far from the fort, while travelling back to it I've found myself in a rather unpleasant situation: there was a banshee crying (creepy) but I couldn't see her so I couldn't decide where to go... I stood a while trying to reckon where the fort was (I don't use the minimap), then I decided to risk and walk forth instead of turning back and wait for dawn.
The banshee killed me.

So yes, to play or not to play, to be or not to be; on thing is sure: if you don't play, you don't win!
And, loosing is fun!

Nordal
GitHub: Nordall

by Nordal » Post

Hallo Hamlet! I want to answer to your Hamlet's Quest, but i seem to be lost with the first steps. I installed the game successfully and created a new world with Valley mapgen. I use Version 4.17.1.

What do you mean by
Map Installation

I did not understand the explanation. Which folder do I have to put where?

Then: How do I get the first sticks of wood to craft a tool out of hand grabbed stone pieces and sticks like it is shown in the crafting help? For example a stone pick, stone axe, stone shovel etc. to dig for iron and better ores...
CFS - still widely unknown

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Hello Nordal!

Let's pretend that you have installed Minetest on Windows:
c:\minetest

The worlds' directory is:

c:\minetest\worlds

Since you have created a new world with the Valleys mapgen you will find your world's subdirectory there; probably the "worlds" directory did not existed previously, because no worlds had been created yet.

Download the Hamlet's Quest showcase map archive, then extract its contents into:
c:\minetest\worlds

That's all, when you will start Minetest you will find a new world named "Hamlet's Quest".

To get the sticks you will have to dig leaves, either from bushes or trees; same as digging dirt for rocks.
Some types of leaves will give you more sticks, just as some types of dirt give more rocks than others.

I hope that you will have fun, thanks for trying my game. :)

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

I have no global installation but compiled minetest and minetest_game as sandbox in my home directory (OS is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS). I have two worlds already, one generated with v7 and one with Valley mapgen. So I have two worlds in minetest. If I change to the Hamlet game, I have the "Hamlet1 [hamlets_quest]" - world. In my worlds folder now I have three wordls. I added the "Hamlets Quest map v2.3.0" folder, so now I have Welt1, Welt_Valleys, Hamlet1 and Hamlets Quest map v2.3.0. But it seems to makes no difference, if I remove the Hamlets Quest map v2.3.0-folder. If I dig leaves, I get leaves, not sticks.

Ah, I think the problem is solved. I generated a new "Hamlet2" world after having added the Hamlets Quest map v2.3.0-folder. Unfortunately I started in a desert and was kicked out of life by an ostrich, trying to kill him with bare hand. :) Respawn I found a way out to some green and some bushes. It now works. The sticks come randomly or so. In the desert I found some old red stone. So the Hamlets Quest map v2.3.0 seems to work. My first impression is: very good game.

Thanks for help, Hamlet!

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

Another Problem occurred. I can't place torches. They immediatly return into the inventory and do not stay where I placed them. Do you have any idea?

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Yes, sticks and stone pieces come randomly; sometimes nothing, sometimes more, sometimes less. This is to mimic real life. :)

Before you can place a torch you must lit it, you can do it in two ways:

1) hold the torch and hit an existing fire source; a furnace, a lit torch, etc.

2) craft a firestriker, keep it in your inventory, hold the torch and hit the air.

To turn off a torch (because after 30mins they are exhausted), hold it and hit the air.

You can walk around with your lit torch, it will enlighten the surrounding area.

The oil lamp works in the same manner, you will need to keep oil and firestriker in your inventory.

REMEMBER: you can repair firestrikers and tools (shovels, swords, etc.) using an anvil and the hammer: put a tool on the anvil, then hit it with the hammer to repair it.

I am glad that you like the game! :)

../minetest/games/hamlets_quest/doc/credits.txt
That contains the lis of used mods, with links to their threads: you may find it useful to search informations about the features, or simply to congrat with their authors. :)

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

Thank you!

Feedback
It's difficult to armor. If I enter a cave, I get killed by some monster. Only coal is accessible without problems. I try to get e leather armor. But I have to kill so many cows! And even get killed by them. :) Meanwhile I have torero qualities.

I gave me /sethome priv 'cause else I would be without any chance, always starting newly in the desert with everything lost after death and those desert monsters always behind me. I managed to build a hut in a green biome near a river. I like the idea of making drinking necessary! I like that you can go straight through leaves. The torch mechanism is super, but I must get used to it.

Questions
How can I get rid of blocks or items I don't need. Anything like a trash? Like in VanessaE's unified inventory for example?
How can I climb a ladder with a lit torch?
Armed with cap, shirt, shoes and trousers of leather and a steel sword I have no chance at all against the monsters waiting for me in the cave, at -1.5 already. This seems to be a general dilemma. How can I solve it?

The linklist you linked to is useful, but the links not always, because of changes or outdated infos. But I will read.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

:DDD
Torero!
It could be a new sport on Minetest Servers.
:DDD
Yeah, I thought that killing a cow with one hit was unrealistic - unless you are Bruce Lee - so I made things a bit harder; next I will explain how to make them less difficult.

Your feedback is very useful, because I've realized that I should write a basic guide explaining how to do the basic actions (harvesting stones and sticks, using torches, setting an home point, etc.), as well as adding an option to lower or increase the mobs' difficulty.

Now, to answer your questions:

To change the mobs' difficulty:

Open:
../minetest/games/hamlets_quest/minetest.conf

Search:
mob_difficulty

The default value is "2", set it to "1" to make them less powerful:
mob_difficulty = 1

To set your home point:

Craft a bed.
It saves your home point and allows to skip the night.

To trash items:

There is no trash button, you must drop them; they will disappear after 5 minutes.

Climbing ladders using torches:

Unfortunately it is not possible.
This is because when you hold a lit torch, it creates an invisible light node where you are standing.
Since that position is already occupied by the ladder node, the invisible light node cannot be created, thus the torch/lamp turns off.
This is an engine's limit: you can't have two nodes occupying the same position.

Suggestions

Craft backpacks: they allow you to carry around more stuff.
Before I go underground I fill a backpack with food and water.
I keep another empty backpack to store minerals.

If you keep mob difficulty "2", better not to go underground before having a full steel armor.
Maybe start with mob difficulty = 1, then increase it when you are better equipped and you start thinking that mobs are too weak.

"Handholds", "Ropes and rope ladders", "Sounding line" and "Breadcrumbs" will make your underground explorations way better:
- Handholds to climb on walls
- Ropes to descend into caves
- Sounding line to check how deep is a cave
- Breadcrumbs are path-markers-signs that will help you go back from where you came

The linklist / Update needed

This game's last release (v2.3.0) is three months old, I must release another version (v2.3.1) containing the updated mods.
I will also add the mobs' difficulty option, so players will not need to manually edit the configuration file.
In a couple of days it will be ready.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

Thank you for your help weakening the monsters. That saves me lives and stress. :)
Interesting what you say about lit torches and ladders and nodes. It's just a question of getting familiar with the new torch mechanism. And actually it's more realistic. :)

Your mining hints are very useful. I only can't find breadcrumbs in the craftguide.

I like the cottage and castle doors of [mydoors] by Don. May be you want to integrate them to the game's mods.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10626&hilit=doors

I think it's a good idea to give some additional information about basic actions in a guide.

I'd also find it helpful if you gave some short hint to somewhat more unusual items. What they are good for and how to activate/use them in game. May you can add that to the list entry. For example at the entry "watering can" you could give a short info what role it does play in farming and how to use it, which water, how much, or how often.
It's just a suggestion.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Nordal wrote:Thank you for your help weakening the monsters. That saves me lives and stress. :)
Hehe I bet!
Nordal wrote: Interesting what you say about lit torches and ladders and nodes. It's just a question of getting familiar with the new torch mechanism. And actually it's more realistic. :)
Yes, I thought the same; speaking of realism, probably in the next future I will change how the charcoal is obtained.
Right now you put a tree node into a furnace and you get a charcoal lump - good enough I think, not very realistic though.

During these months I've been trying the "Another Charcoal" mod, way more realistic:
- cut a tree
- use a "splitting axe" to cut the tree nodes into tree logs
- leave the tree logs pile to dry (placing them somewhere inworld)
- take the dry logs and put them into a 2-nodes-deep hole in the ground
- place a torch on the logs and wait for the logs to become charcoal

Now, reading this might seem an overly complicated process, but I can tell that it is faster to do it than to write about it :)
I think that it may give more depth to the game, instead than just putting 99 tree nodes into a furnace.
Nordal wrote: Your mining hints are very useful. I only can't find breadcrumbs in the craftguide.
Search for "mark" or "bread" in the crafting guide, it will show you a square wooden sign.
Nordal wrote: I like the cottage and castle doors of [mydoors] by Don. May be you want to integrate them to the game's mods.
Thanks for the suggestion, I've checked them and I'll add them in the next release; nicely textured, small mods, they will be a nice addition.
Nordal wrote: I'd also find it helpful if you gave some short hint to somewhat more unusual items. What they are good for and how to activate/use them in game. May you can add that to the list entry. For example at the entry "watering can" you could give a short info what role it does play in farming and how to use it, which water, how much, or how often.
True. I have to learn how to add another couple of sections ("Basic Steps", "Useful Items") to the in-game guide, I will definitively do it as soon as possible.

Speaking of the inventory menu, I will check if it is possible to enable the trash button that is available when playing in creative mode; I forgot to say that if you do not want to drop trash around you can use the /pulverize command when holding in hand the item(s) that you want to discard.

Hamlet

Re: [Game] Hamlet's Quest [2.4.0] [hamlets_quest]

by Hamlet » Post

Released v2.4.0

- Added "Castle Doors", "Cottage Doors" and "Door Wood" by Don.
- Reverted mobs' difficulty to 1 (was 2)
introduced in v. 1.1.2-dev (2017-09-18)
- Mobs' difficulty now can be changed using the advanced settings menu.
- Deactivated frames' registration for inexistent items (e.g. tnt)
- All the modules have been updated to their latest versions.

Hamlet

Re: [Game] Hamlet's Quest [2.4.1] [hamlets_quest]

by Hamlet » Post

Released v2.4.1

The previous version contained two "Mobs Redo" folders.
If you are using v2.4.0 you do not need to download v2.4.1.
Instead do these steps:

1) Open ../minetest/games/hamlets_quest/mods/flora_fauna/
2) Delete the "mobs" folder.

That folder is the old version of "Mobs Redo", the new version is into mobs_redo.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

I am sorry for asking. How do I update from v2.3.0 to v.2.4.1 keeping my world?

I looked over the farming topic in the crafting guide and missed one important plant: hemp (TenPlus1 farming redo)
hemp plant and seeds, hemp fibre to make paper (in med. times they added flax) and the easy to use hemp rope (I like it very much)
butter recipe should be milk and salt, not milk and sapling
salt, (default:water bucket cooked)
honey recipe is "blind". Honey out of honey block and vice versa. Honey should be retrieved from beehive somehow. I think, this is a bug still existing in farming redo.

Missing decoration features: (VanessaE decoration)
small candle
small candle with wrought iron stand
small candle with brass stand
Only con: they are everlasting
On the other hand: Dark Ages were not completely dark ;)
May you find a way to restrict their lighting time... They are typical and realistic for medieval themed game, I find.
The chandelier is also missing, you show it on the starting picture of your games thread.

Plaster:
Plaster is an outstanding feature of Hamlet's Quest I find. But
plaster also on two sides (alongside) of a block would be nice to build round buildings, for example round towers.
Plaster on three sides?
Plaster on four sides for pillars?

How can I add a mod? Will there be conflicts, if I use a mod, that the game uses too, but without that certain item, I want to have?

I like the signs-lib (only wooden signs) of VanessaE. You can write directly on the sign. I place them over chests, to remember what is in it, for example. They are also useful showing the way. And other uses. Names of house owners. Makes the game more personal. May you think about adding it.

I hope, I don't write to much. But Hamlet's quest comes close to my ideal game. A game with plastered chalked bricks. Fantastic :)

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Nordal wrote: I am sorry for asking. How do I update from v2.3.0 to v.2.4.1 keeping my world?
Open:
../minetest/games/

Delete:
"hamlets_quest"

Download Hamlet's Quest v2.4.1
Extract it somewhere
Move the extracted folder into
../minetest/games/
Nordal wrote: How can I add a mod?
Download a mod
Extract it somewhere
Move the extracted folder into:
../minetest/mods/

https://wiki.minetest.net/Installing_Mods/de
Nordal wrote: Will there be conflicts, if I use a mod, that the game uses too, but without that certain item, I want to have?
Probably there will be no conflicts, because the changes that I have made to some mods are applied by ../minetest/games/hamlets_quest/hq_tweaks/ which basically is a collection of overrides.

The overrider will still modify "that certain item", while the others will not be affected.

Example:

Search for "chandelier" in the crafting guide.
The shown recipe requires 3 mese crystal fragments, instead of 3 torches.

Now, if you install a mod that uses that chandelier but also adds candlesticks, the chandelier's recipe will be overriden while the candlesticks' recipes will be not.

Nordal wrote: I looked over the farming topic in the crafting guide and missed one important plant: hemp (TenPlus1 farming redo)
Unfortunately Farming Redo has a bug that I don't know if it has been fixed.

This is why I didn't added it, preferring "Crops", which also adds the watering can and the hydrometer - to take care of the crops checking if they are too dry, too wet, or "ok". Twirls of smoke if they need water, bubbles if they had too much.
Nordal wrote: butter recipe should be milk and salt, not milk and sapling
salt, (default:water bucket cooked)
honey recipe is "blind". Honey out of honey block and vice versa. Honey should be retrieved from beehive somehow. I think, this is a bug still existing in farming redo.
3 bees = 1 beehive
place the beehive where there are many flowers
after some time it will contain honey, right click it to "open it" (you may be hurt by the bee in it)

for the butter recipe, try suggesting that to TenPlus1
Nordal wrote: Missing decoration features: (VanessaE decoration)
[...]
The reason why I haven't added candlesticks is just "because they are not squared".
I have added just the chandelier because the older one was too ugly even for me.
And, every time I look at it, I think that it is out of place because it is not squared.

In a game made of cubes (even mobs are made of cubes!), non-cubic things seem out of place, at least to me.

Anyway, the "everlasting issue" is not a real issue: I could add them and change their recipes to require mese crystals' fragments, as I did for the chandelier and the other lamps.

You could use oil lamps instead, you can place them around just like torches.

Try asking to BrunoMine - the "hard torch" developer - if he is willing to add candlesticks/chandeliers to his mod.

Nordal wrote: Plaster:
Plaster is an outstanding feature of Hamlet's Quest I find. But
plaster also on two sides (alongside) of a block would be nice to build round buildings, for example round towers.
Plaster on three sides?
Plaster on four sides for pillars?
Plaster comes from the "Darkage" mod; originally made by MasterGollum, then developed by Addi (that is the version contained in Hamlet's Quest).

As for the other mods, try contacting the developer: he is the best person that can tell you if your suggestion can be done, and I think that will appreciate the interest.

This is his last post about Darkage:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3213&start=125#p253141

He also have a server:
King Arthur Minetest Server
http://www.king-arthur.eu/

(taken from http://servers.minetest.net/ )
Nordal wrote: I like the signs-lib (only wooden signs) of VanessaE. You can write directly on the sign. I place them over chests, to remember what is in it, for example. They are also useful showing the way. And other uses. Names of house owners. Makes the game more personal. May you think about adding it.
I will try it, in the meanwhile you can use it as additional mod; just add it to your mods' folder and then activate it in your world's settings.

The next Hamlet's Quest release will be in three months, so you might find the signs-lib it under your Christmas Tree :)
Nordal wrote: I hope, I don't write to much. But Hamlet's quest comes close to my ideal game. A game with plastered chalked bricks. Fantastic :)
Hahaha don't worry, I appreciate interest in my game and suggestions, just remember to say "thank you" to the developers that actually made these mods: I have just put these mods together, developers spent their time creating them. :)

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

Open:
../minetest/games/

Delete:
"hamlets_quest"

Download Hamlet's Quest v2.4.1
Extract it somewhere
Move the extracted folder into
../minetest/games/
Done. Works.
Download a mod
Extract it somewhere
Move the extracted folder into:
../minetest/mods/
Thought there might be a game specific folder. There's not.
Probably there will be no conflicts, because the changes that I have made to some mods are applied by ../minetest/games/hamlets_quest/hq_tweaks/ which basically is a collection of overrides.

The overrider will still modify "that certain item", while the others will not be affected.

Example:

Search for "chandelier" in the crafting guide.
The shown recipe requires 3 mese crystal fragments, instead of 3 torches.

Now, if you install a mod that uses that chandelier but also adds candlesticks, the chandelier's recipe will be overriden while the candlesticks' recipes will be not.
Thank you for that good explanation! By the way, I overlooked the chandelier in your craft guide. Sorry.
True. I have to learn how to add another couple of sections ("Basic Steps", "Useful Items") to the in-game guide, I will definitively do it as soon as possible.
Cool.
In a game made of cubes (even mobs are made of cubes!), non-cubic things seem out of place, at least to me.
I see. That is a strict opinion. Generally I'm on your side, but sometimes I like just the contrast to round or rounded things, that are also round in reality. I find it difficult to be always consequent in this.
During these months I've been trying the "Another Charcoal" mod, way more realistic:
- cut a tree
- use a "splitting axe" to cut the tree nodes into tree logs
- leave the tree logs pile to dry (placing them somewhere inworld)
- take the dry logs and put them into a 2-nodes-deep hole in the ground
- place a torch on the logs and wait for the logs to become charcoal

Now, reading this might seem an overly complicated process, but I can tell that it is faster to do it than to write about it :)
I think that it may give more depth to the game, instead than just putting 99 tree nodes into a furnace.
Yes, it sounds good!
Nordal wrote:
Your mining hints are very useful. I only can't find breadcrumbs in the craftguide.

Search for "mark" or "bread" in the crafting guide, it will show you a square wooden sign.
Now I found it. You can write on it. I thought about breadcrumbs out of bread that glow in the dark like in the tale of Hänsel and Gretel... But this is also a good help.

Falling stem blocks
I like the convenience of falling stem blocks digging a tree. But there is a huge disadvantage for me. I can't use "stems" horizontally to strengthen a wooden ceiling. It looks very good I find and was historically done a long time.
May you can make it an option to select between falling and not falling stem blocks?

I meanwhile could remove the crate with a stone axe. But an empty chest does not want to be moved now. Strange.

I will try the "crop" farming provided by Hamlest'S Quest.

I realised that you provide an alternative for crafting paper out of sticks. So I can craft books without papyrus. I like the old bookshelves versions.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

Bugs
  • The crops mod does not work at all. Watering can and hygrometer disappeared from the craft guide and turned into unknown items in my chest. I can't find any plant on the surface or potato sapling in the dirt. Diet mod complains about treating of my stomach. :)
    EDIT: Solved. Idiot me. Changed difficulty to "easy" and forgot about it. Changed to "normal" and watering can and hygrometer are back.
  • A killed monster left me hardtorches, but they are not visible. Pointing at them in my chest I get "hardtorch:luz_11" as text. There's also no hardtorch in the crafting guide.
  • A very little white cube appears on standard stone from time to time. If I right click it, it turns into a half visible white rectangle in my hand. If I place it somewhere, it vanishes.
  • Tree monster kills all tamed animals, not only chicken. Takes no notice of protecting runes either.
Questions
  1. Is there a way to switch directly from crafting guide to crafting-tab? I have to close the crafting guide first and open the tabbed window again to chose crafting.
  2. EDIT: Solved: It's a slab right clicked with the screwdriver!I looked intensely on the second picture of the game's thread. First of the spoiling pictures. I wonder how you made the small vertical (half block width?, one block height) wall of stone bricks (the little lighter ones) that carries the embraces. I tried to rebuild to understand but I didn't manage.
Last edited by Nordal on Tue Oct 16, 2018 23:53, edited 1 time in total.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

At first: Thank you Hamlet for that great game! There is an amazing number of stones and minerals to detect. Meanwhile I found out how everything works and improved my mining equipment. Met the first stalagmites. It's really fun. :)

The screwdriver deserves a special hint on its rightclicking effect.

I find the farming feature could be improved. The crops mod does not work properly. And somehow it's logical inconsistent, although it claims to be more realistic. I found some pumpkin plants with pumpkin and they grow now on my field consisting of only soiled dirt (watering canals). They spread themselves and produce nice pumpkins. Watering can and hygrometer are still not present in the craftguide, and obviously not obligatory. If I harvested a pumpkin the plant gives a new pumpkin very fast or stays in a maybe wilt state. Sometimes I see some well made funny flies around a plant. Taking this plant out gives one pumpkin seed. That makes no sense. Same with potato. Potatoes are plants and you can recognize and find them by there plant on the surface. Then you dig for the potatoes themselves and use them as seeds. They make new plants grow. Fed by the plant they grow and multiply. Potatoes without plant occur only in winter or if you removed the plant to harvest the potatoes.

I tried to install [farming] but that doesn't work at all. Except the features that are ingame so to say.

Nordal

Re: [Abandoned Game] Hamlet's Quest [2.4.1] [hamlets_quest]

by Nordal » Post

I'm confused by the word "abandoned", that appears suddenly with all your mods and even this game. Does that mean, you won't maintain these mods any more? I.e no development, no updates? I hope not.

This game is excellent. Only a few things that could be better or do not work properly (for example colorizing the windows, or one could write a better shield mod for decorating shields, or vegetarian food could count more saturation points).

But the game as a whole is really excellent. The distribution of the many ores and really nice stones (marmor, basalt, serpentine, etc.), the perfect monsters: Dungeon master is really a "show event" with his fireballs. And the underworld with its slippery or stopping mossy cobble, the funghi and the little green men (forgot their name) with their funny traps and little acts of sabotage. You have carefully chosen nice mods that fit well together based on the concept of a medieval themed game with an exciting underground world. Maybe some more people will detect the richness of this game if you open the concept more towards farmers and medieval dwellers.

I have so much fun with this game.:-) @Hamlet, it would be a great pity if you gave up hamlet's quest.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Nordal wrote:I'm confused by the word "abandoned", that appears suddenly with all your mods and even this game. Does that mean, you won't maintain these mods any more? I.e no development, no updates? I hope not.
That is the meaning, yes.

My mods can be divided in two groups: environmental, and mobs.
Environmental modify the Minetest Game's nodes behavior, e.g. allowing to pass through leaves, making trunk nodes fall, etc.

My "quest" has been to learn how to script in Lua, to make mods that could turn the vanilla Minetest Game into something else.

However, during roughly one year I've learned more than Lua itself.
I've learned that something can be achieved, while something can not - unless you are willing (and able) to (re)write from scratch mods, else you will only achieve half done mods, e.g. "Hidden Doors" and most of my mobs.
And I dislike half-done things.

I've learned that most Minetest's players are just interested in multiplayer (i.e. playing on servers) or MineCraft-like things.
I can't play on servers due the fact that I'm on metered bandwidth, and I will not discuss MineCraft-like things: tastes are tastes.

"Hamlet's Quest", aimed to combine my environmental mods and mobs, and carefully hand picked third party mods.
I've learned that you must also "mantain" third party mods, if you want to put together a game. And something always slips through your fingers - some kind of bug - despite all the care you put in doing it.

So you have to mantain and develop your own mods and other people's mods, i.e. mods that in the meanwhile have been abandoned (e.g. Thirsty). or that for some reason start behaving differently (e.g. Castle Banners).

What for? Whom for?
Naught, and almost for nobody - save, let's say, ten people over one year.
Two or three of them even helped me with this or that mod.

As long as I played with Minetest, either as player or modder, I had a reason: it was my hobby. Now I don't even have that reason.

On top of all this, I dislike the management of various aspects of the Minetest Community; you can read on my posts my opinion about the LGPL license, the choice of GitHub as de-facto repository for users profiles, the Anglocentric policy toward the Minetest Engine and its mods, etc. etc.
Last but not least, I dislike being called a troll when I try to discuss serious matters from an humorous perspective to make the discussion less heavy, not to sound a ranting crybaby.

They say:
- "It's open source, if you aren't satisfied then fork it".
I've done it.
- "Read the fucking manual".
I've done it, I've even translated it.
- "Do it yourself".
Again, I've done it.

Dissatisfaction toward my own mods and game, and frustration toward the aforementioned topics eventually led me to choose to abandon everything.

Honestly I don't even have the will to reply to people anymore.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

That’s sad, Hamlet. I always thought your projects were interesting :(

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Hopefully with ContentDB being added in game, other games will have more exposure
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader