No votes

Total votes : 6

Hamlet

GitHub: h4ml3t
IRC: H4mlet

Re: [Game] Hamlet's Quest [2.5.2] [hamlets_quest]

by Hamlet » Sat Dec 21, 2019 17:50

To those who might be interested:
v2.6.0 "Gemini" Release Candidate 1 is available.

From now on, the game will be provided in two different versions:
"Default", which will be available from the ContentDB.
"No mobs", which will be available from the repository.

Note:
This is a stable version, except for a "show-stopper" (read, crash) bug with PKArcs that I have reported here: link.
Thus the final release is delayed until the issue is solved, in the meanwhile you can safely play with the RC1 knowing that if you try to remove a cobblestone arc the game could crash.

Downloads:
v2.6.0 RC1 with mobs: .zip .tar.gz
Source code: GitLab
Changelog: link

v2.6.0 RC1 without mobs: .zip .tar.gz
Source code: GitLab
Changelog: link

Nordal

GitHub: Nordall

by Nordal » Sun Dec 22, 2019 06:44

Wow. My impression is you get more and more professional. I'll try the v.2.6.0 with it's interesting changes and new features the next days I hope. Thank you for adding "bunkbed"! :) I'm really happy someone finds it useful.

Nice that you changed to gitlab. I also like it more than github. For several reasons.

At the moment I am working on a fork of TumeniNodes stoneworks with sensible recipes and options, which and how many items you want to include into arch/miniwall generation. I'm slow, but I think I have a good concept now. You will even be able to choose if you want only arches or only miniwalls.

Now that the iron ore is generally much deeper, you may consider that concerning the spawning height of mobs in cave. With stone sword and without armor the player won't have any chance to win a fight. At least if the player calls himself Nordal :)

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Sun Dec 22, 2019 15:24

Nordal wrote:Wow. My impression is you get more and more professional. I'll try the v.2.6.0 with it's interesting changes and new features the next days I hope. Thank you for adding "bunkbed"! :) I'm really happy someone finds it useful.

Hahaha you flatter me, glad you like the improvements; your bunkbeds are a perfect piece of furniture for barracks.
There is a castle, there will be soldiers, are 40 or 80 - a legion - men going to use 80 regular beds? That would require a lot of space, bunkbeds allow to halve the required space. :)
And anyway I guess that the High King's childs would love them. :D

Nice that you changed to gitlab. I also like it more than github. For several reasons.

Ah yeah... eventually I've decided to keep GitHub for Pull Requests and contributions on long-time-existing repositories, but my activity will be on GitLab.

At the moment I am working on a fork of TumeniNodes stoneworks with sensible recipes and options, which and how many items you want to include into arch/miniwall generation. I'm slow, but I think I have a good concept now. You will even be able to choose if you want only arches or only miniwalls.

I have to check that mod, smaller nodes = more detailed buildings, which would be good for medieval decorations.

Now that the iron ore is generally much deeper, you may consider that concerning the spawning height of mobs in cave. With stone sword and without armor the player won't have any chance to win a fight. At least if the player calls himself Nordal :)

Ah! Hahaha well, there's some good news for you on this matter: the new version includes "Gravel Sieve" and "Unified Hammers".

Hammers allow you to turn, for example, stone into cobble, and cobble into gravel.
The sieve allows you to search for ores - on a realistic chance basis - into gravel.

Build a sieve.
Rright click it.
Put gravel nodes in the input slot, close the window.
Punch the sieve until all gravel nodes have been sieved.
Right click the sieve, if you are lucky you will find tin, iron, etc. lumps.

So instead of spending "half of your life underground searching for ores" as the Gravel Sieve's creator said, you can use this method.

For instance, since I found myself in a mostly desertic zone - sand and sandstone everywhere - a single steel ingot allowed me to craft the sieve, and then to search into gravel for other ores in a realistic - non-cheating - way.
:)

Clatch

by Clatch » Thu Dec 26, 2019 18:03

I'm really green with Minetest here. After messing around and trying to figure out what extensions to use, I have to say this package here is a perfect balance.

I think the only thing I've added that for me seems to be missing is Item Drop. Given that this is a hardcore realism collection, I thought I'd mention it.

Also, I noticed that when you jostle the leaves of a tree around you have to look out for falling wood chunks. That might be a feature though? Overall, I really like how the physics have been tweaked in this mod.

... and it has birds!

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Thu Dec 26, 2019 21:23

Clatch wrote:I'm really green with Minetest here. After messing around and trying to figure out what extensions to use, I have to say this package here is a perfect balance.

:) It took a while to put it together, the credit goes to those that actually developed the various mods.

Clatch wrote:I think the only thing I've added that for me seems to be missing is Item Drop. Given that this is a hardcore realism collection, I thought I'd mention it.

Ah, yeah, a feature that I was thinking about lately; I didn't added it because often I do not pick up each and every dropped item, example: grass.
The inventory tends to fill fast with automatic pick-up.

Clatch wrote:Also, I noticed that when you jostle the leaves of a tree around you have to look out for falling wood chunks. That might be a feature though?

Unfortunately, it is not a feature but a downside of "Fallen Trees": any tree node behaves like sand or gravel, so when you touch leaves or apples next to a tree trunk node you trigger the "should I fall?" check for that trunk node... and since under it there's only air, it falls.
So, let's say that it is the price to pay for not having forests of "floating treetops": I don't like it but I swallow it.

Clatch wrote:Overall, I really like how the physics have been tweaked in this mod.

... and it has birds!

:) Thank you, I tried my best; the birds are from blert's mod:
Sky Critters

By the way, this reminds me of a song... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WFBppsP9C8

Clatch

by Clatch » Fri Dec 27, 2019 03:30

Hamlet wrote:By the way, this reminds me of a song... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WFBppsP9C8

Oh, great. Now you have me hooked on the Trashmen too.

Nordal

GitHub: Nordall

by Nordal » Sun Jan 19, 2020 09:11

Sorry @Hamlet, I could not test 2.6.0 because of lack of time so far. The sieve and hammer combination is a good solution for the deeper iron problem particularly at the beginning of play and nice features in general I think.

I have an idea concerning the elves (or some people else). I suppose you know the gone voxelands game, because you made the wolf mod. Perhaps you remember voxelands' enchanting system in the last releases. Instead of the levelling up system which is actually a bit contradictory to reality (tools get better the more you use them) one could install an enchanting system with help of elves. You bring your crafting ingredients for the tool to the elves and they craft and enchant it on a special anvil (with smoke and fire or some effect) to make it faster, longer lasting or more "greedy" (i.e it gives more ores while digging), or something else useful. The crafting and enchanting gives the tool additional properties. Each enchanting costs a certain amount of ores, dependant of the material the tool is crafted of. For example a diamond pickaxe enchanted costs a diamond. A steel pick only a steel ingot. The kind of the enchantment has extra costs: "make it faster", additional ten coal lumps (just for example). If the tool is near to get broken, you can repair it as usual on your anvil. What do you think?

Previous

Return to Game Releases