Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

[Game] Repixture [3.12.1]

by Wuzzy » Post

Repixture 3.12.1

About
Repixture is a simplistic sandbox survival game with an unique graphics and sound style with a focus on nature, a temperate climate and a mostly peaceful world and only simple technologies.

Gameplay
The game should be easy to pick up, but there’s also a Player Manual.

The first goal is to survive and build a shelter, later on you will explore the world and gather resources to improve your tools or craft simple building materials and decorations. The technology tree is rather low tech and as such, early progress is rather slow-paced. A few creatures will roam the world, most of them peaceful. Occassionally, you will encounter a village with traders.

Features
Spoiler
  • Beautiful landscapes and many biomes to explore
  • Animals and monsters
  • Villages and trading
  • Upgradable tools via jeweling
  • Hunger
  • Custom inventories
  • Armor
  • Simplified crafting with crafting guide
  • Paint the world in 19 colors
  • A variety of trees
  • Weather
  • Beds (skip the night)
  • Boats
  • New and better player models
  • Change your player appearance
  • Achievements
  • Multi-language support
  • Creative Mode
Screenshot
54fa3c66fe.png
54fa3c66fe.png (996.46 KiB) Viewed 8929 times
Background information
Spoiler
Repixture has started a revival of Pixture, which was very broken, as of Sep 2 2019. The original goal goal was to make Pixture work in Minetest 5.0.0 and fix bugs and improve usability. This goal has been achieved a long time ago, and for the most time, this game was for “preserving history” while not touching the gameplay itself.
But now the goal is to make a serious sandbox game out of this that could be recommended to all Minetest newcomers.
Licenses and credits
Spoiler
Repixture is a fork of Pixture, a game by kaadmy. kaadmy did the lion's share of the work, I basically only did the clean-up. This is just a summary. See README.md in the game directory for the full info.
  • Textures are all CC BY-SA 4.0
  • Sounds are mostly CC0, some GPLv2 in the weather mod, and some are CC BY-SA 4.0
  • Source code is LGPLv2.1, except for the mobs API (MIT License).
Contribute translations
Repixture is looking for translators. If you want to help, go to <https://translate.codeberg.org/projects/repixture/> and translate the game from your browser. (Needs Codeberg.org account.)

Downloads

Repixture works in Minetest 5.8.0 and later.
(See the wiki for more installation information)
Attachments
header.png
header.png (10.88 KiB) Viewed 12918 times
Last edited by Wuzzy on Mon Jan 08, 2024 21:42, edited 79 times in total.

Wuzzy

Some random developer notes

by Wuzzy » Post

A few words about why I did this:

Basically I was fed up by Pixture being so broken in the latest public release. The obvious first bug is missing compability with Minetest 5.0.0.
But even without that, Pixture 0.1.1 was basically unplayable. The biggest problem IMO was the crafting system, which was so ridiculously unusable. It was a real shame, because Pixture was not always that broken, it just became broken shortly before kaadmy disappeared. So rather than to let Pixture die, at least I try to keep it on basic life support. :-)

Changes
In this section I will highlight a few changes and fixed I made.

Crafting Revamp
This one is the second-most important change in Pixture Revival. Crafting is actually being in an usable state again.

Basically, the crafting principle of Pixture is the same. I figured the worst bottleneck was the list. The problem was that it showed ALL items at once, not just the once that are actually craftable. I can see the rationale behind that, it seemed to be like a crafting menu/crafting guide hybrid that just went terribly wrong. The reason why this was bad is because you just are forced to constantly search the entire list EACH TIME you want to craft something. This could take ages and really makes you feel bad. So, fixing crafting was the number two prority of this project (number one priority was, of course, to make it work in Minetest 5.0.0!).
I will take part of the blame for the bad crafting system in Pixture. After all, it was me who suggested to move away from the classic Minetest-Game-style crafting in order to “simplify” it. It didn't turn out well. But the system can be repaired, and so I did.

The most important change I made is actually very simple: By default, the list now will only show the relevant crafts, i.e. any crafts you could actually perform from the input items. This makes the list now much, much smaller and is way more managable. Plus, the crafting guide is still there, just click a little button and you will again see all possible crafts.

You might wonder now, “wait, won't the ‘?’ button collide with the item display if a craft requires 4 input items?” and the answer is “Yes!”. The trick? Pixture currently just doesn't have any crafts which require 4 different input items. The maximum right now is 3. Still, I'm really not happy with this and I know a better design needs to be found.

I also made a few smaller usability changes: I added shift-click support to all inventories (=shift-click insta-transfers items to other inventory). If you double-click a craft in the crafting list, it will perform that craft once (if possible). Item slots in the craft recipe that require only an item from a particular group (like, any planks) are highlighted in a different color.

Adding it all togehter, in my playtest, it turned out to much easier to actually craft, and crafting finally is way faster, as it is supposed to be. :-)

Cruft Removal
Pixture had, in my opinion, a lot of cruft that wasn't really neccessary. There was too much chat spam going on and questionable chat commands.

For example, there was a command “uberspeed” that is like fast mode, but, like, super fast. But in contrast, the normal fast mode was made painfully slow. I said to myself “Screw it!” and just made the normal fast mode speed reasonably fast and removed the uberspeed command. I can see the rationale for having 2 fast mode speeds, but I'd rather have this implemented properly in Minetest instead of hacking it in a confusing way as a chat command.

I also removed many chat messages which I deemed unneccessary and breaking the game flow, like the annoying “welcome” message which appeared each time you joined the game …

v6 mapgen experiments
No, there is NO official mapgen v6 support in Pixture Revival! The biomes are such an essential part of the game, and v6 doesn't support custom biomes. However, I still experimented with the v6 mapgen a bit, to make it at least work in a rudimentary way that doesn't look utterly broken. And indeed, the result looks nice:

BUT! The devil lies in the details. Many biomes are missing, like the swamp or the wastelands. Some items, like dry grass would be simply unobtainable due to the lack of savannahs. So while the v6 is technically working, it's not suitable for real-world gameplay at the moment. For this reason, v6 is still disabled.

New slab/stair textures
The old slab and stair textures just used the same image on all sides. This looked bad for some blocks:

So I just made a few individual images for the sides of slabs and stairs:

Creative Inventory
Creative Mode now finally works! Sadly, not per-player, but it's still better than nothing.

Also note the “plus” icon is the icon for the Creative Inventory. The icon for achievements (which was the plus sign in Pixture) has been changed to a trophy.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: [Game] Pixture Revival [0.2.0]

by texmex » Post

Now that's an act of kindness. Neat!

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

This is pretty nice actually!

The uberspeed command was originally added as a replacement for the fast mode since I originally designed the game/movement around having the fast mode be sprinting and allowing all players to have it by default.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Using fast mode as sprinting is a pretty bad idea, however. The movement modes were never meant for things like that. There are just too many gotchas: Such as: If the player settings specifiy a different fast mode speed, the Pixture settings are overwritten; You probably also want sprinting to make you hungry, etc. …

I always consider fast/noclip/fly mode as “cheats” (at least in Survival gameplay), and they should be treated as such.

We don't have a shortage in sprinting mods anyway.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

Wuzzy wrote:You probably also want sprinting to make you hungry …
It does: https://github.com/kaadmy/pixture/blob/ ... t.lua#L260
Wuzzy wrote:We don't have a shortage in sprinting mods anyway.
I've tried using them, and they're all server side, and as such are super laggy and feel wrong most of the time.

Pixture

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Yeah, but that would only work while fast mode is active. Otherwise, you get exhausted for nothing. It's impossible for mods to detect if fast mode is active. Another huge caveat. Players have to activate fast mode. Totally not obvious. And gotchas are bad in a game that aims to be simple. Fast mode and sprinting should be kept completely separate. And there's just a TON of other caveats by simply (ab-)using fast mode.

I feel the only real solution is an engine change … :-(

By the way: Lol, so it turns out I have been playing Pixture completely wrong! XD I didn't know I was supposed to enable fast mode for sprinting … I have been walking at minimum speed all the time.
Last edited by Wuzzy on Mon Sep 02, 2019 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Players have to activate fast mode. Totally not obvious. Fast mode and sprinting should be kept completely separate.
The default privs should already enable fast if you create a world (assuming the config still works, I honestly don't know if anything's changed relating to the game config): https://github.com/kaadmy/pixture/blob/ ... t.conf#L26
Wuzzy wrote:I feel the only real solution is an engine change … :-(
Unfortunately this seems to be the case.

Pixture

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The fast priv is not enogh, players also have to actively enable fast mode. Which is, again, NOT obvious. That's not what fast mode was meant to be. Fast mode was NEVER meant to be for sprinting. It was added for fast flying in Creative.

And yes, I deleted all the default privs in the config. Privileges are a key server setting and should be left alone. Any custom privs setting by the user and it all goes poof.

What I want to say is: This is not a reliable way to implement sprinting. There are so many gotchas.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Now that the game is being revived I’m thinking about how it will look in Content DB… Two Pixture games?? Or will the maintainer role be transferred to Wuzzy so that no confusion will arise for end users?

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

texmex wrote:Now that the game is being revived I’m thinking about how it will look in Content DB
I didn't even know Pixture was on the Content DB.
texmex wrote:Or will the maintainer role be transferred to Wuzzy so that no confusion will arise for end users?
I'm happy with letting someone else maintain Pixture since I don't maintain it anymore myself.
Last edited by kaadmy on Mon Sep 02, 2019 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

Pixture

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

In Content DB, this game will be Pixture Revival and the other one will be Pixture. Duh!
Pixture is marked for 0.4.17 use only, so it will only be visible in the website, but not in the Content tab, as we only have this since 5.0.0.
Pixture Revival will be marked for 5.0.0 and beyond, so it will be the only one that appears in the Content tab.

Note I don't think I have the dedication to be a full maintainer yet. First goal is to clean Pixture Revival up enough to fix the worst bugs to make it “release-ready”. As I already said, no major gameplay changes are planned. Pixture Revival really is about preserving history (somewhat).

So PLEASE report any bugs.

When that is done, we can maybe talk about this. I don't think there are a lot of bugs remaining, thankfully. :-) To be completely honest, I need to think about this …

Sadly, my cleanup indeed means the loss of sprinting. Hacky sprinting, to be fair, but it's a loss nonetheless.

Pixture in this state, even if cleaned up, does not have a lot of content. It's not neccessary a bad thing. But I think this simplicity is kind of intended. Maybe maybe, much later, I could become much more serious about Pixture and make a full-blown game out of it. But note I will likely take it to a different direction, so a fork seems appropriate. The game's simplicity could be preserved somewhat, but the depth should be increased simply with more things to explore and more things to do.
Although you run out of content much slower than in Minetest Game, you will eventually hit that brick wall in Pixture eventually, too.

Another thing I would probably rework in the long run (NOT in Pixture Revival, however!) are the achievements. I think they are just too grindy atm, which is again partially my fault, I suggested most of them! :D.

I would also probably remove the desert, it just feels completely off. I like the original direction of having mostly lush biomes only.

ALSO: All this is fantasy talk that is set in the very distant feature. I still have a billion other projects that I need to take care of first. So don't have any false expectations! :D

zing269

by zing269 » Post

Found a small bug, string.gfind > .gmatch

There is also a file "i" that appears to be an old version of init

Code: Select all

ModError: Runtime error from mod 'player_skins' in callback on_mods_loaded(): ...\bin\..\games\pixture_revival\mods\player_skins\init.lua:55: attempt to call field 'gfind' (a nil value)
ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
ERROR[Main]: 	...\bin\..\games\pixture_revival\mods\player_skins\init.lua:55: in function 'load_player_skins'
ERROR[Main]: 	...\bin\..\games\pixture_revival\mods\player_skins\init.lua:90: in function <...\bin\..\games\pixture_revival\mods\player_skins\init.lua:89>

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Yay, thanks! This is exactly the stuff I was looking for. I already pushed a fix. :)

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Wuzzy wrote:... The goal is to make Pixture work in Minetest 5.0.0 and fix bugs and improve usability ...
yuhoo! I was sort of missing it and it is definitely a game worth of keeping up to date.

Wuzzy

Version 0.3.0 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.3.0 released!

Changelog:

Improvements:
- Village land generation improvements
- Minor improvements to a few village structures
- Dying mobs now make sounds
- Add descriptions for all important settings
- Expose more settings in the settings menu
- Turn dirt-with-grass to dirt below slabs and stairs
- Oak trees now generate

Cleanup:
- Clean up achievements descriptions
- More items are kept when placed in Creative Mode
- Disabling TNT no longer removes TNT from the game, instead it replaces it with defused TNT
- Removed mods: pm, player_list
- Show message when trying to spawn hostile mob when it's disabled
- Prevent sleep if not enough space
- Kick player out of bed when re-joining
- Restrict villages to grasslands
- Music box, wheat and cotton are now attached

Bugfixes:
- Disable some achievements when they are unobtainable due to settings
- Fix crash in player_skins mod
- Fix invalid water bucket stacks sometimes appearing in village chests
- Fix furnace/chest facing the wrong way in forge house
- Fix overlaping dirt path slab
- Fix broken achievements: place seeds, place lumien crystals, kill mobs
- Fix mobs never dropping anything
- Fix inventory menu not updating when changing skin via chat command

EDIT:

Version 0.3.1 released!
Changes:
- Fix mobs not dying properly when drowning
- Clams no longer drop pearls

Wuzzy

Version 0.3.2 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.3.2 released!

Changelog:
- Fix crash when farming plants tries to grow in rain
- Fix undiggable slabs
- Villages no longer aggressively cut into trees or terrain
- Few minor village structure improvements and fixes
- Fix villagers spawning on same spot
- Fix farming plants not growing under certain circumstances
- Fix fertilizer acting incorrectly on various types of dirt
- Fix some grass covers not disappearing when covered
- Dirt grows a dry grass cover in dry biomes (instead of normal grass cover)
- Swamp dirt grows a swamp grass cover in swamp biomes
- Dry dirt now has an unique appearance

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

Re: [Game] Pixture Revival [0.3.2]

by v-rob » Post

I'm getting this error on a world when I try to load it. I played in it once, and this comes up after trying to re-enter it. I briefly saw a village before I exited the world the first time.

Code: Select all

2019-09-05 19:18:26: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Runtime error from mod 'village' in callback on_mods_loaded(): ...0\bin\..\games\pixture_revival\mods\village/generate.lua:89: attempt to call field 'gfind' (a nil value)
2019-09-05 19:18:26: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2019-09-05 19:18:26: ERROR[Main]: 	...0\bin\..\games\pixture_revival\mods\village/generate.lua:89: in function <...0\bin\..\games\pixture_revival\mods\village/generate.lua:81>
2019-09-05 19:18:26: ERROR[Main]: 	C:\Games\Minetest\5.0.0\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:419: in function <C:\Games\Minetest\5.0.0\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:399>
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Neat! I'll have to try this out sometime
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

The string.gfind > .gmatch issue Zing mentioned is still present in latest release making all worlds in which a village was encountered unplayable.

I have yet to find a trader is that just bad luck?

Edit:
Also some things I am unsure of wheter they are by design:
Sneaking doesn't stop me from falling of edges.
Swampgrass can't be turned to fiber as expected.

Wuzzy

Re: [Game] Pixture Revival [0.4.0]

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.4.0 released!

Changelog:
- Fix the silly string.gfind crash in the villages mod ... for real this time
- Grass clumps now slowly spread, unless overcrowded (the old grass spreading code was broken and did nothing)
- Clams now slowly appear at sand and gravel beaches, unless overcrowded (the old clam spreading code was broken and did nothing)
- Sneaking now protects you from
- Swamp grass clumps now can be crafted to fiber (1:1)

Note: In the original Pixture, kaadmy wanted to have swamp grass clumps to be useful for something special. And that's a good idea. However, that special use never came, and so swamp grass clumps remained useless. So, yeah, making them craftable into fiber for now is the obvious thing to do. However, it makes sense to add the special use case in a later version or fork, replacing the fiber craft to make swamp grass clumps more unique.
I have yet to find a trader is that just bad luck?
Traders are supposed to spawn in villages only. If a village is empty, then congratulations! You have run into Minetest bug 4759.

Sadly, spawning entities in Minetest is like the lottery: They might spawn, or they might not spawn. We currently have no reliable way to spawn entities. So this is why sometimes, entire villages might be devoid of villagers. :-( No workaround is known. The issue is here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4759

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

Thanks for the fix and information.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

There is a way to spawn entities in generated structures, but it's a bit cheatsy. I found it in the nssb mod, and it works like this: all that happens is that you have a special node where you want the entity spawned, and an amb on it, so when a player gets close, the node transforms into the entity. Hope this helps.
What is SCP-055?

Wuzzy

Version 0.4.1!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.4.1 is released!
  • Jewels generate again
  • Increase hand range in Creative Mode
  • Dry grass, music player, saplings and farming plants are now floodable
  • Villages: Don't place lanterns in dead-end roads
  • Make villager spawning more reliable
Pixture Revival seems pretty stable now. This version is also a release candidate for 1.0.0. If no serious bugs suddenly appear, I will release 1.0.0 soon(-ish).

Wuzzy

Now on Content DB!

by Wuzzy » Post

Pixture Revival is now available on Content DB!
This means you can now download and update Pixture from the “Content” tab if you use Minetest version 5 or later.

https://content.minetest.net/packages/W ... e_revival/