[Game] Repixture [3.12.1]

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Naming

by Wuzzy » Post

OK, it's time to think about the name!

Version 1.0.0 is NOT released yet, but after a very important complaint from an user, I was reminded to think of the name.

The current name “Pixture Revival” was only chosen to avoid confusion between the two forum posts. Originally I only wanted to have this as a project name, but it stuck somehow. Yeah, I know, it sounds stupid.

I could not have chosen just “Pixture” because that name is already taken. It would only work if I assumed control over the original project. Note that this is a huge responsibility to take.

Also note that Pixture Revival's goal is only to basically make Pixture work in MT5 and fix bugs. No new gameplay features. Think of it as my way of preserving a piece of Minetest history. So please be aware of that.

If I would chose to pick up the name “Pixture” again, that kind of implies the original project will be continued completely. That's not the kind of responsibility I wanted to take …

So I am currently a bit confused about what name to actually use for this …

This needs to be decided before finally releasing version 1.0.0. I hope kaadmy will appear again, this would simplify things a lot.

EDIT: Also, assuming the name “Pixture” leads to the ironic situation that this thread will stay in WIP Games indefinitely (forum threads are no longer moved to Game Releases), while the unfinished, buggy original Pixture remains in Game Releases …

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: [Game] Pixture Revival [0.4.1]

by texmex » Post

I'm in favor of coming together with kaadmy and releasing this as an update, but otherwise I'd like for some inherent lore of Pixture to inspire it's new name. I have never gotten very far in it myself (let's see if the new crafting system can alleviate that) so I cannot speak on much of its qualities but at least the early gameplay is quite gritty and grindy, much in contrast with the cutesy art direction. So I'd look to such things for inspiration for a new name.

Btw, behold, a fatal bug:

Code: Select all

2019-09-13 23:33:55: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'mobs' in callback luaentity_Step(): ObjectRef::set_yaw: NaN value is not allowed.
2019-09-13 23:33:55: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2019-09-13 23:33:55: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'set_yaw'
2019-09-13 23:33:55: ERROR[Main]: 	...Support/minetest/games/pixture_revival/mods/mobs/api.lua:926: in function <...Support/minetest/games/pixture_revival/mods/mobs/api.lua:373>
2019-09-13 23:33:55: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players: 
2019-09-13 23:33:55: WARNING[Server]: ScriptApiBase::objectrefGetOrCreate(): Pushing ObjectRef to removed/deactivated object, this is probably a bug.
2019-09-13 23:33:55: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down
Also, a not so fatal bug (items flying mid-air when node they rest on is later dug):

Attachments
screenshot_20190913_231516.png
screenshot_20190913_231516.png (47.38 KiB) Viewed 2435 times

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

The name could be 'Wuzzy's Wacky World of Wonder', alliteration is very pleasing :)
What is SCP-055?

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

It looks like the heart bar entity is in the middle of the player instead of above their head
I'm using latest Minetest dev
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Wuzzy

Version 0.4.2 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Thanks for testing! :-)

Version 0.4.2 released!

- Fix crashes related to mobs (NaN value)
- Fix dropped items refusing to fall when block below is dug
- Fix buggy HP bars above player heads
- Make wielditem functional again
- Clarify license information
- Add screenshot

Wuzzy

NEW NAME! Game renamed to “Repixture”

by Wuzzy » Post

IMPORTANT NEWS!

Effective immediately, this game has been renamed. Version 0.4.3 has been released to reflect this change.

Old name: Pixture Revival
New name: Repixture

If you downloaded this game before, you should rename the game directory manually from “pixture_revival” to “repixture”.

Lone_Wolf

Re: NEW NAME! Game renamed to “Repixture”

by Lone_Wolf » Post

10/10 for the new name
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: [Game] Repixture [0.4.3] (was: Pixture Revival)

by rubenwardy » Post

Repixture is so much worse than pixture revival
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Chiantos

by Chiantos » Post

Deleted message
Last edited by Chiantos on Mon Sep 30, 2019 06:40, edited 1 time in total.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Pixturesque
Pixturedeux
A Wonderful World

texmex

by texmex » Post

What were the qualities of the name ”Pixture” to begin with? Sounds like a working title.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Well, the name “Pixture” is taken forever which is partly due to how ContentDB policy works.

texmex

by texmex » Post

But seriously, "Pixture" strikes me as a technical name without any connotation other than that the visuals are low-pixel. There has to be some feeling evoked when playing it that can bring out a more inspiring name.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Anyway, the name “Repixture” is going to stay.

Repixture = Revival of Pixture. Simple as that. :P

texmex

by texmex » Post

Fair enough. Onwards to bundling!

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

The policy on names doesn't apply to games, as you can't depend on games. But having distinct titles is a good idea
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Xudo
GitHub: akryukov92
In-game: Xudo

by Xudo » Post

Downloaded Repixture by this link https://repo.or.cz/Pixture/pixture_revi ... v0.4.2.zip.
I'll write fresh impression because I have never played this game. I didn't see any link to bug tracker on first page, so writing here.

Recipes in the list are not sorted alphabetically. This is inconvenient.
Clams doesn't look like clams. They probably need more distinct model.
Wooden spear looks more like wooden mace. What about renaming it?
It would be nice to see indication whether I am seeing crafting guide or choosing recipe to craft.

Can you change crafting guide so it show recipes containing placed material?
For example when I put only Graphite Sheet, it should show whatever it is used for.

In this situation
Spoiler
when I click one apple, then both will fall down as items.

In this situation
Spoiler
after I click "craft 1 item", Wooden helmet will disappear from this list and selected item will be changed to Wooden slab. It is inconvenient. I'd prefer if it stays on same recipe if possible.

This game still has problem of "useless wooden pickaxe". Once you dig 3 stone, you don't need wooden pickaxe anymore. More than that, I am able to dig stone with bare hand. Wooden pickaxe can be skipped.

Grass feels non-renewable. It is sad because it is spent on crafting Fibers which is expendable resource.
After some time I have noticed that dirt-with-grass drops grass and this block spreads. This way grass is renewable.

Walking on the grass sounds like walking on wood flooring.

It is possible to place river water to ocean water and it looks funny. Don't know if it should be changed.
Spoiler
I found that there is 3 types of steel, though I didn't get enough to test it all.
End of first 2 hour game session.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Recipes in the list are not sorted alphabetically. This is inconvenient.
OK.
Clams doesn't look like clams. They probably need more distinct model.
I won't touch artwork unless someone drops me ready-to-use stuff right on the doorstep. I don't want to have any more work with this than absolutely neccessary.
It would be nice to see indication whether I am seeing crafting guide or choosing recipe to craft.
Good idea, but the question is, how? Need to think of something, but not really important … Note that crafting is of course possible in both modes.
Can you change crafting guide so it show recipes containing placed material?
For example when I put only Graphite Sheet, it should show whatever it is used for.
A reverse crafting guide is nice to have, but I don't feel it's high priority given that there are not many crafts yet.
when I click one apple, then both will fall down as items.
Yes, this is dumb and should be fixed.
after I click "craft 1 item", Wooden helmet will disappear from this list and selected item will be changed to Wooden slab. It is inconvenient. I'd prefer if it stays on same recipe if possible.
Oops, yes, I see this is really annoying and should be really fixed.
This game still has problem of "useless wooden pickaxe". Once you dig 3 stone, you don't need wooden pickaxe anymore. More than that, I am able to dig stone with bare hand. Wooden pickaxe can be skipped.
The wooden pickaxe is going to stay (because, gameplay change!), but the free hand digging is indeed an issue. There shouldn't be free (cobble)stone for digging with hand. Maybe I could make it so that certain nodes refuse to drop their item if dug with hand only (even if diggable).
Grass feels non-renewable. It is sad because it is spent on crafting Fibers which is expendable resource.
After some time I have noticed that dirt-with-grass drops grass and this block spreads. This way grass is renewable.
Also, in a recent release, I have re-enabled spread of the grass. But it's rather slow and the spread stops if the area is overpopulated. It's kinda like the flora spread algorithm in MTG. You won't see grass spread in most natural biomes (overpopulation), but if you place a lonely grass on dirt with grass, it should spread.
Walking on the grass sounds like walking on wood flooring.
Dumb, but I won't touch it since it's work. See, I want to have this project to come to a stable state fast and Repixture wasn't supposed to drag on forever. It was planned to be a very lightweight thing. So yeah, Repixture won't be the Game Of The Year. IMO, a lot of sounds need improvement, if you use headphones, you really hear the low sound quality. But as I said, unless someone drops me something on the doorstep …
It is possible to place river water to ocean water and it looks funny. Don't know if it should be changed.
Good idea, but that's a serious gameplay change. Not for Repixture. But I definitely keep this one in mind for … reasons.
End of first 2 hour game session.
Thank you! It really means a lot to me. So you found 2-3 bugs and made a lot of good comments.

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
I won't touch artwork unless someone drops me ready-to-use stuff right on the doorstep. I don't want to have any more work with this than absolutely neccessary.
Doorstep

have .xcfs and pngs ready to go if you would like them. "currentname"_n.xcf/png
Attachments
Spear_proto.png
Spear_proto.png (979 Bytes) Viewed 2435 times

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

this is a different design for spear

Attachments
Spear_proto_2.png
Spear_proto_2.png (289 Bytes) Viewed 2435 times

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Is it just me, or do they look more like oversized candles?

EDIT: Yeah, I think I like the current image better somehow. Sorry. :-(

Wuzzy

Version 0.4.4 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.4.4 released!
  • Fix achievements screen sometimes not properly updated
  • Fix weird attachment behaviour of apples
  • Fix crafting menu selection sometimes annoyingly jumping around after craft
  • Hand can no longer dig stone and other “hard” blocks

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Is it just me, or do they look more like oversized candles?

EDIT: Yeah, I think I like the current image better somehow. Sorry. :-(
All Good - understand completely :)

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

sirrobzeroone wrote:this is a different design for spear

That looks pretty good IMO

Xudo
GitHub: akryukov92
In-game: Xudo

Re: [Game] Repixture [0.4.4] (was: Pixture Revival)

by Xudo » Post

Session 2.
I decided to travel around and was quite surprised by village nearby.
Villagers are intaractable and it is possible to trade with them. I only needed 1 "trading book" which is crafted with 1 gold ingot. I mentally prepared to visit this village later, when I'll find gold. But I thought to check nearby house.
There was 6 gold and 13 beds. Both things are strange. I sertainly don't need 13 beds. I'm not sure even about 1.
I think that it is good idea to put trading book to the village chests.
Tavernkeeper offer me to trade Jewel for Gold Ingot. Or it was gold ingot for jewels? I would like to see some labels about what is goods and what is price. Traders hadn't offered me anything worth trading.
Quite unusual for tavernkeeper. Why not food for coins?
There was a well in this village, but for some reason, it was very shallow.
I had a conversation with one of the villagers. He was hungry. I gave him some apples and he thanked me. It looks nice.
Though, those villagers completely ignored the fact that I talked with them with a sword in hand.
It could be cool if they answer something when I have flowers in the hand too.
I noticed that torch in water gets lost. It would be great if torch could not be placeable in water. I lost 3 torches trying to light half-underwater cave.
I haven't found boat in the list of crafts. It would be very useful for me because I spawned on small island in the middle of the sea.
Lasso is made from ropes and the ropes are made of desert grass. I have fiber from green grass, why can't I make lasso from fibers?
I crafted net and tried to catch some small black beast with white strip. It ignored right-click and started to attack me on left click. I had to kill him. How exactly net is working?
Are those trees intended to be so small?
Spoiler
I have managed to craft fertilizer, but I don't understand what is it used for. I fertilized 2 blocks of dirt and plant there cotton and wheat. In addition, I planted cotton and wheat nearby on trivial dirt.
Cotton on simple dirt with grass reached lvl 3 while cotton on fertilized dirt still at lvl 1.
End of second session