[Game] Repixture [3.12.1]

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: [Game] Repixture [1.1.3]

by rubenwardy » Post

Unless repixture's default has compatibility (API, registered) with Minetest Game's default, this is going to confuse many users and mods. I recommend renaming if it doesn't have like 90% of the stuff

Afaik, pixture was written from scratch
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Sadly, renaming default atm would be the nuclear option and instantly destroy existing worlds. Unless I register billions of aliases, which is also a horrible thought.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

That's something that can be automated

Hello profile reader

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Sadly, renaming default atm would be the nuclear option and instantly destroy existing worlds. Unless I register billions of aliases, which is also a horrible thought.
Having a default mod is likely to confuse users, other mods, and ContentDB's dependency resolution system (which is only half implemented). The last one is only a problem if users don't have Minetest Game installed, which is rare I guess. I want to avoid packages in ContentDB relying on explicit packages (ie: Minetest Game, Mobs Redo) rather than mod names (ie: default, mobs) as that would limit user freedom

Hello profile reader

Hugues Ross
Developer
GitHub: Df458

by Hugues Ross » Post

So I've finished support in my texture pack, now is the time that I unload all of the graphical issues that I discovered along the way. These ones didn't block me completely like the papyrus, so I figured that it was best to write them down and report them in one go once I was done.
  • Unless I missed something while testing, torches seem to use the same part of their texture for the top and bottom. Normally this wouldn't be an issue... but these are torches, the top needs some sort of fuel that the bottom shouldn't have.
  • The 'R90' texture variants for the torch burning animation don't animate, the whole sheet is displayed instead.
  • Stone doors use door_brown.png like the wodden doors, and not door_gray.png (which I assume they are meant to)
  • Headbars uses heart.png and assumes that it's 16x16, but in reality it's supposed to be 24x24. Repixture uses 16x16, so the ideal here might be to either use a separate texture or see if there's a size-agnostic way to make this work.
  • The spear textures rotate when in the player's hand. However, an attached jewel will not rotate with it. This leaves visible artifacts with the default textures as well.
  • Player skins from MTG should work with Repixture, but the UVs on top of the head are rotated by 90 degrees for some reason.
  • Every mob in the game suffers from a variety of UV issues--pixel stretching, nonsensical overlapping faces, reusing the same part of the texture for the top and bottom but flipping one of the two... they should probably be redone altogether at some point.
If you're interested in more details or screenshots regarding any of these, feel free to ask and I'll try to help out with that.

EDIT: I must have missed this while testing, but it looks like the ladders in Repixture have the same issue as the papyrus. The default_ladder.png texture overlaps with MTG, but the node itself is a nodebox drawtype instead of signlike. I believe it can be fixed via overrides.txt though, so it's not a blocker.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Having a default mod is likely to confuse users, other mods, and ContentDB's dependency resolution system (which is only half implemented). The last one is only a problem if users don't have Minetest Game installed, which is rare I guess. I want to avoid packages in ContentDB relying on explicit packages (ie: Minetest Game, Mobs Redo) rather than mod names (ie: default, mobs) as that would limit user freedom
I know, but breaking compability is a big decision as well, and I refuse to use billions of aliases. The ideal solution would be if we could specify “gamename:modname” in the depends list, i.e. depend on a mod from a specific game. Sadly, I think games don't support real shortnames so far … Anyway. It's common that “game mods” are not identical to their standalone counterparts. And it's not like the “default” mod is the same everywhere.
I should still move away from the mod name, I know the problems, you don't have to explain it to me. But this is not going to happen anytime soon. As it will be a huge breaking release, it will be not before 2.0.0. Sorry.
(something about textures)
Torch top/bottom: Fixed
Torch R90: Fixed
Door sides: Fixed
Headbars and statbar icon sizes: Fixed
Jewel wield overlay: Fixed
Player skins: NOT fixed. I'm not good with models.
Mobs: NOT fixed. I'm not good with models.
Ladder: Fixed

Please download the dev version and tell me if it's OK.

Hugues Ross
Developer

by Hugues Ross » Post

Well, the fixes that you mention all seem to work (except the R90 texture on non-weak torches is still frozen, but not stretched anymore)! I keep spawning in some sort of terrifying black hellscape of stone, but maybe it's just a conflict with the dev version I'm running?

I really would recommend getting better at models in the future though because some of these UV issues are absurd.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Well I have no idea what's still wrong with torches. All sides animate for me, in all possible positions.

I did not even create the models, and I'm too lazy to fix them. :P

Hugues Ross
Developer

by Hugues Ross » Post

What's wrong with the torches is that I was testing at 6:30 AM, and forgot to push one of the textures :D

I think you're all set, everything seems to work texture-wise.

kuboid
IRC: kuboid
In-game: kuboid

by kuboid » Post

Congratulations for this nice piece of art. I'm new to Minetest and find Repixture a very nice MT variant. My kids are usually scared at night in typical MT games (not to speak of MC), but this one is peaceful enough so we can have a family play :)

I like the crafting method, it makes the normal 3x3 one look unnecessary cumbersome. Good thing that you included a crafting guide. Until I found it I was unable to build such simple things as doors or ovens.

Only problem I see currently is how to find out how to make, say, steel. It's not listed in the guide, so you probably need to craft it in different way. Maybe smelting? Also, in recipes you can only see pictures of the ingredients, no describing text.

Otherwise good stuff. I was surprised today that a pig will return fire when you try to kill it *lol*

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Most artwork is done by Kaadmy.

Doors are craftable. As well as furnaces (they are called “furnaces”, not “ovens”). You need to look more closely.

Ingots need to be created in the furnace. You need fuel and ore (e.g. iron lump). Just try out different items. The furnace cooks other items as well …

Maybe I could add a crafting guide for the furnace as well; I need to think about the interface …

The crafting guide actually displays the item names. Just hover them with the cursor.

What do you mean with the pig thing? Pigs return fire?! There's no fire at all in the game.

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

Wuzzy wrote:...What do you mean with the pig thing? Pigs return fire?! There's no fire at all in the game.
I think he means the pig will fight back.

kuboid

by kuboid » Post

yep. Pigs fight back. Was kind of surprising for me.

I also found out how to make doors. Also finally found the steel ingot in the crafting guide. Btw.: alphabetical ordering would help to find stuff there.

Furnace, yes. Not oven. Sorry, non-native English speaker. I just could not remember the right term when I was writing my post.

Btw. I found another bug. No show stopper but disturbing when multi-playing: other players look as if flying 1m above the ground. So the player model shows 1 block too high. The collision box shows at the right position, though.

Greetings from my daughter, she really loves it :)

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

kuboid wrote:Btw. I found another bug. No show stopper but disturbing when multi-playing: other players look as if flying 1m above the ground. So the player model shows 1 block too high. The collision box shows at the right position, though.

Greetings from my daughter, she really loves it :)
Your version of Minetest is outdated. I'd recommend you update, as this game may use some features older versions don't have
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Sorry, non-native English speaker.
The game is translated into German and will contain a French translation in the next version. I conclude you don't speak German. :P

kuboid

by kuboid » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote: [...]
Your version of Minetest is outdated. I'd recommend you update, as this game may use some features older versions don't have
now this is an interesting point. I see there seem to be two major forks after MT 4.x, one from Minetest.net, one from Minetest.org. I am currently using the "Minetest Final" version which claims to be faster than "Minetest 5" and "less buggy". But I have no idea wether or not this claim is correct. I though it is the latest version, as it even has version number 6.
Can you give me a hint which version is 'best'? And, I would be interested in the history of whatever conflict caused Minetest to fork into two (incompatible?) versions. But this discussion is worth a separate thread, I'd say.

@Wuzzy: and yes, I do speak German. You caught me by my accent, didn't you? :) Most of the game is in German, true, but not everything. So I prefer the English version right away.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

kuboid wrote:now this is an interesting point. I see there seem to be two major forks after MT 4.x, one from Minetest.net, one from Minetest.org. I am currently using the "Minetest Final" version which claims to be faster than "Minetest 5" and "less buggy". But I have no idea wether or not this claim is correct. I though it is the latest version, as it even has version number 6.
Can you give me a hint which version is 'best'? And, I would be interested in the history of whatever conflict caused Minetest to fork into two (incompatible?) versions. But this discussion is worth a separate thread, I'd say.
Minetest Final is a fork of Minetest, the original version. The latest version of Minetest is 5.1.1, Final Minetest 6 is Minetest 0.4 with a different version number and some backports. We had some bad experiences with the author of Minetest Final which resulted in him being banned for his foul behaviour, this is around the same time he made his fork

This is offtopic for this thread, take a look at one two instead

Hello profile reader

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

First of all, Minetest and Final Minetest are separate projects. Minetest is the original version. Minetest version 5.0.0 is the version after 0.4.17. It's the next version of Minetest and NOT a fork. Everyone can verify my claim by looking at the changelogs or Git histories. What is true, however, is that Minetest 5.0.0 is not backwards-compatible with earlier Minetest versions.

Minetest = minetest.net
Final Minetest = minetest.org

So, Minetest is the original, and Final Minetest is a fork. There is nothing bad for being a fork, it just means it was derived from the original source code. Final Minetest is developed exclusively or almost exclusively by OldCoder (minetest.org). Final Minetest is completely independently developed from Minetest.

The fact that Final Minetest's version number is 6 doesn't mean it's the next version of Minetest as it's a different software. It's a fork of Minetest 0.4. You can use version numbers to see which version is newer, so Minetest 5 is later than Minetest 0.4. But you can only compare version numbers within the same software. Trying to compare version across separate softwares (e.g. Final Minetest v6 vs Minetest v5) doesn't make sense and leads to hilarious results.

I only develop and test Repixture for Minetest, and not for Final Minetest. Maybe it works in Final Minetest as well, I don't know. Check for yourself. OldCoder recently told me that my other game, MineClone 2, also functions in Final Minetest, but I did not test it (sorry, too lazy). Of course it's always nice to see when my games work in forks of Minetest as well.

If this game breaks in Final Minetest (but not in Minetest), please direct your bug reports to OldCoder, and not me. The reason is that testing this game in ONE game engine is already enough work for me. :-P
Most of the game is in German, true, but not everything
Wait, what???? What is missing??

EDIT:
I **think** the reason for Final Minetest is that OldCoder was unhappy with Minetest 5 breaking compability with Minetest 0.4, so decided to fork Minetest 0.4. The idea for Minetest 5 was from around 2017 (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17929), and IIRC, Final Minetest came later (but I don't have the exact date).

Wuzzy

Version 1.2.0!

by Wuzzy » Post

Today is the day. Of version 1.2.0!

Changelog:
  • Added French translation (by Trent)
  • New item names and textures for all jeweled tools
  • Extended, more informative tooltips for many items
  • Restructure some texture names: Door side texture, torches, ladder, jewel overlay
  • Fix status “in bed” not being cleared when rejoining
  • Remove “Oak Leaves (huge)”

kuboid

by kuboid » Post

Wuzzy wrote: ...
Most of the game is in German, true, but not everything
Wait, what???? What is missing??
nothing, my fault. When using MT 5.1.1 then alles ist properly Deutsch and people don't float anymore above the ground.
Really nice work. Keep it up. This is my candidate for a "standard" game in MT instead of MT_game. Complete gameplay but simple enough to be a "default starter". And, also, sufficiently different to M7T.

Raamastak
GitHub: Raamastak
IRC: Raamastak
In-game: Raam

Re: [Game] Repixture [1.2.0]

by Raamastak » Post

Im playing the one on andriod if thats this one. I love it!

Raamastak
GitHub: Raamastak
IRC: Raamastak
In-game: Raam

by Raamastak » Post

So there are only the 7 things to mine?

metallicus76

by metallicus76 » Post

Hello Wuzzy,
error in-game with Minetest 5.2.0

Code: Select all

AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'builtin_item' in callback luaentity_Step(): /home/cristian/.minetest/games/repixture/mods/mobs/api.lua:308: attempt to index local 'v' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	/home/cristian/.minetest/games/repixture/mods/mobs/api.lua:308: in function 'get_velocity'
	/home/cristian/.minetest/games/repixture/mods/mobs/api.lua:989: in function </home/cristian/.minetest/games/repixture/mods/mobs/api.lua:384>

Wuzzy

Version 1.3.0 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 1.3.0 released!
  • New required Minetest version: 5.2.0
  • Fix crash in Minetest 5.2.0 when mob dies to environmental damage (reported by metallicus76)
  • Fix other mob-related crashes
  • Fix setting “peaceful mobs only” preventing spawns of all mobs
  • Locks can now be placed on chests directly (either with punching or sneak+rightclick)
  • Minor performance boost related to the sounds (=“ephemeral sounds”)
  • Smoother sky transitions on weather changes
  • Add z-sorting to HUD elements
  • Minor UI tweaks

metallicus76

Re: [Game] Repixture [1.3.0]

by metallicus76 » Post

Thank you for update