[Game] The RealTest Game (Minetest 5 Edition) [1.2.2]

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [Game] The RealTest Game (Minetest 5 Edition) [1.1.3]

by Sokomine » Post

Triandra wrote: So, I have tried to make Mobs Redo compatible with Realtest by changing some crafting recipes. It worked, however, I can't interact with the mobs. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is?
I've tried it now as well. The first problem was the fence registration. I've commented it out for now, but...RT has its own fences. Perhaps TenPlus1 can be convinced to make mobs_redo compatible with RT in that regard.

The second problem were sheep. They didn't yield any wool. RT doesn't really have any wool, so the one from default will do. But for wool to work, the dye table has to be public. A line "dye = dyelocal" right after the declaration of dyelocal helps. It would be great if Wuzzy could change the dye mod to provide public access to that table and rename it. Or perhaps just take the dye mod from MTG as it is more current (RT never had anything special regarding dyes to my knowledge).

Milking cows is a challenge that can't really be done yet. MTG has just one bucket. RT has tons: One for each wood type, one for each metal type. And none of these comes in the "filled with milk" definition. Changing it so that one particular bucket can be the can-be-filled-with-milk-one might be easiesst - but not very satisfying in the long run. Perhaps for a start best take the bucket mod from MTG.

Regarding fighting: That was changed some time ago. What seems to be necessary is adding

Code: Select all

damage_groups = {fleshy=8},
in the table tool_capabilities in instruments/init.lua in the sword registration. The value 8 stands for a diamond sword in the default game. The fleshy group capabilities in RT seem too weak for modern mobs. Figuring out reasonable values might take some time and more work.

The same applies to armor. RT doesn't have any yet - but tons of nice metals from which it could be crafted. Patterns for each type of armor (head, body, trouser, shoes, shield) for the scribing table would be needed plus plan items for them. Terrafirmcraft seems to do the armor in steps. Nice idea...maybe that ought to be included as well. But in the end suitable textures would have to be created/imported from Terrafirmcraft? in order to get armor to actually work. 3darmor ought to be sufficiently flexible to register new armor types...

In general, textures are a big problem. Terrafirmcraft has a lot more textures and game content. The license of its code is very permissive (GPL), but I havn't found information regarding the textures in the past. However, there seems to be a new version now which *does* state an open license for textures. With that, it ought to be possible to recreate more of what Terrafirmcraft does and make RT even more enjoyable.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not planning any major features for RealTest. As I have now stated numerous times, this project exists to preserve a piece of (playable) Minetest history.

If you want to want to create a serious game out of this (with more stuff in it), I strongly recommend to fork it. And probably rename it, too.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Wuzzy wrote: Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not planning any major features for RealTest. As I have now stated numerous times, this project exists to preserve a piece of (playable) Minetest history.
Don't worry, I got that. But that doesn't mean that there doesn't have to be a future for the game. After all your work here is a contribution to it as well: Changing it so that it runs with newer versions of MT again. What name it runs under is only relevant insofar as players who are intrested in it ought to be able to find the version they want to use. I've forked the game in the past and may work on that in the future, including your modifications.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Triandra

by Triandra » Post

Great, thank you, Sokomine - Mobs Redo in general and especially Animals is now working for me with RT :)
Sokomine wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 21:11

The first problem was the fence registration. I've commented it out for now, but...RT has its own fences. Perhaps TenPlus1 can be convinced to make mobs_redo compatible with RT in that regard.
Yes, that was also one of the first problems I encountered. I decided to just take the RT fences and place the mobs fence top on top of them. It looks a bit weird, but it works.

Wuzzy

Version 1.1.4 released! Version 1.1.5 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

This is a bugfix release, mostly.
  • Fix strange "walking light" item sometimes dropping
  • Add textures to some uncommon items
  • Update mapgen menu for Minetest 5.3.0
  • Remove builtin_item mod as broken
  • Items no longer flow in water or get destroyed by lava
  • Remove pointless debugging output that appears in chat sometimes

sjaglin

by sjaglin » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 21:11
Triandra wrote: So, I have tried to make Mobs Redo compatible with Realtest by changing some crafting recipes. It worked, however, I can't interact with the mobs. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is?
I've tried it now as well. The first problem was the fence registration. I've commented it out for now, but...RT has its own fences. Perhaps TenPlus1 can be convinced to make mobs_redo compatible with RT in that regard.

The second problem were sheep. They didn't yield any wool. RT doesn't really have any wool, so the one from default will do. But for wool to work, the dye table has to be public. A line "dye = dyelocal" right after the declaration of dyelocal helps. It would be great if Wuzzy could change the dye mod to provide public access to that table and rename it. Or perhaps just take the dye mod from MTG as it is more current (RT never had anything special regarding dyes to my knowledge).

Milking cows is a challenge that can't really be done yet. MTG has just one bucket. RT has tons: One for each wood type, one for each metal type. And none of these comes in the "filled with milk" definition. Changing it so that one particular bucket can be the can-be-filled-with-milk-one might be easiesst - but not very satisfying in the long run. Perhaps for a start best take the bucket mod from MTG.

Regarding fighting: That was changed some time ago. What seems to be necessary is adding

damage_groups = {fleshy=8},
in the table tool_capabilities in instruments/init.lua in the sword registration. The value 8 stands for a diamond sword in the default game. The fleshy group capabilities in RT seem too weak for modern mobs. Figuring out reasonable values might take some time and more work.

The same applies to armor. RT doesn't have any yet - but tons of nice metals from which it could be crafted. Patterns for each type of armor (head, body, trouser, shoes, shield) for the scribing table would be needed plus plan items for them. Terrafirmcraft seems to do the armor in steps. Nice idea...maybe that ought to be included as well. But in the end suitable textures would have to be created/imported from Terrafirmcraft? in order to get armor to actually work. 3darmor ought to be sufficiently flexible to register new armor types...

In general, textures are a big problem. Terrafirmcraft has a lot more textures and game content. The license of its code is very permissive (GPL), but I havn't found information regarding the textures in the past. However, there seems to be a new version now which *does* state an open license for textures. With that, it ought to be possible to recreate more of what Terrafirmcraft does and make RT even more enjoyable.
Hi,

All this is very useful, do you currently have a stable set of mobs that can be used on RT by a newbie? I can tweak a bit but time is short and I do it for my kids...

Help would be appreciated, this is a great game!

Best wishes

S

Wuzzy

Version 1.2.1 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 1.2.1 was released!
This release is mostly for compability with Minetest 5.4.0.

Changes:
  • This game now requires Minetest 5.4.0 or later!
  • Crosshair now changes when pointing an object
  • Add "grayed out" heart and bubble icons
  • Fix ugly flickering when placing glass pane
  • Various maintenance bugfixes for the new Minetest version
  • Removed builtin_item mod (too broken)

Sylos

Re: [Game] The RealTest Game (Minetest 5 Edition) [1.2.1]

by Sylos » Post

Hi,
the included item_drop mod is causing problems for me. The items get accelerated towards me, but then don't get picked up, leading to just a high 'stack' of items floating where my player is and then I have to punch them to pick them up.
It also seems like this will sometimes lead to items getting lost when lots of items float around (my assumption is that the items fall out of the world), so for example when chopping trees, I noticed that I often don't get as many logs as expected.

I have fixed this for myself by replacing the contents of the item_drop mod folder with the contents of this repo: https://github.com/minetest-mods/item_drop
I have played with that for a few hours and it seems to work without problems. Maybe you want to make that change to the official version.

Only downside is that the range where items get picked up is very small by default, which can be annoying with the trees. It should expose settings for that, but I couldn't figure out how to actually configure it, so I just hard-coded a different default for the magnet_radius in the init.lua (which, I guess, you could also do).

Thanks for your work on this. This game has been a lot of fun to me.

Eris
IRC: definitelya Ovalo
In-game: Eris_still_crafts

Re: [Game] The RealTest Game (Minetest 5 Edition) [1.2.1]

by Eris » Post

Hi Wuzzy,
I'm reporting that the optional dependency farming_plus isn't working in your game anymore. I'm using minetest 5.5.0-dev.

I get this error:

WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "farming" accessed at ...bin/../games/realtest_mt5/mods/farming_plus/init.lua:1
ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/hebought/Games/Minetest/minetest-5.5.0-dev/bin/../games/realtest_mt5/mods/farming_plus/init.lua:
ERROR[Main]: ...bin/../games/realtest_mt5/mods/farming_plus/init.lua:1: attempt to index global 'farming' (a nil value)
ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
ERROR[Main]: 	...bin/../games/realtest_mt5/mods/farming_plus/init.lua:1: in main chunk
ERROR[Main]: Check debug.txt for details.
ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down
which I reported in the mods' thread.
I tested it in MTG and it runs fine, so maybe it's a problem with realtest's default mod?
Thanks a lot for the awesome maintenance you're doing on this! ^^
Jump in the caac

Wuzzy

Re: [Game] The RealTest Game (Minetest 5 Edition) [1.2.2]

by Wuzzy » Post

Thanks for noticing. I just wanna say that farming_plus isn't supported. This mod was made for Minetest Game, after all.

Unfortunately, this game shares the technical mod name "farming" with Minetest Game although both mods are very different and not compatible. I would love to change the name, but sadly I must keep the name because of backwards-compability with old worlds.

That having said, I have removed the optional farming_plus dependency in version 1.2.2 because it's broken anyway. Mods should be responsible to be compatible with the games they want to support, not the other way round.

Eris

by Eris » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 20:25
Thanks for noticing. I just wanna say that farming_plus isn't supported. This mod was made for Minetest Game, after all.

Unfortunately, this game shares the technical mod name "farming" with Minetest Game although both mods are very different and not compatible. I would love to change the name, but sadly I must keep the name because of backwards-compability with old worlds.

That having said, I have removed the optional farming_plus dependency in version 1.2.2 because it's broken anyway. Mods should be responsible to be compatible with the games they want to support, not the other way round.
Yep I understand, I'm still a Minetest newcomer, so I get tripped up sometimes. I can't wait until Minetest becomes more stable, so modding can be easier too.
Glad I could be of help, nonetheless!
Jump in the caac

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Modding for Minetest is actually fairly easy IMO. It's more like a failure on my part. I'm not really interested to provide strong modding support for this particular game, however. It's really just there to keep an old game playable. I do not have plans to develop this game further, I'm only interested in important bugfixes. Keep in mind this game is very old and therefore has to carry a ton of legacy stuff.

Eris

by Eris » Post

Gotcha :D
Jump in the caac

Norore
GitHub: Norore
IRC: Norore

by Norore » Post

Thanks Wuzzy for this interesting game!

I have a question. I am currently stuck on the game and I don't understand if I missed something: I can't find papyrus and I don't understand why. I have lot of flowers, jungle grass, some cacti and died shrubs, but after hours of waiting, none papyrus.
I already have soy, spelt and flax. I also have lilypads and seaweeds.
What I missed? I think I need papyrus for paper for the scribing table.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Papryrus generates on dirt with grass next to water and height 0-2. It doesn't appear on its own, but once you found it, you can grow it. Just keep exploring.

Norore

by Norore » Post

Thanks!
Now I wonder if those kind of water pounds are really rare or if I am just unlucky as usual. 4 to 5 hours exploring with no pound! I will catch one!

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Maybe your water_level setting is set to a non-default value. As I said, papyrus only generates at Y height 0-2.
Papyrus is fairly common but note it only grow on dirt with grass. It never grows on sand, so it's pointless to search sand beaches and deserts.

Also, you don't have to find a lake or water pound as the papyrus might also grow at the ocean. The only thing that matters is water, height 0-2 and dirt with grass.

Norore

by Norore » Post

I understood, but my ocean level seems to be at -4. I did'nt change anythings on the game mode settings. Which line should I check to be sure that the problem is not on the settings?
My Minetest version is 5.4.1

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Maybe reset water_level to the default value then. Go to "All Settings" and look for "water_level".

It's possible a different game has changed water_level for you. This is of course bad behavior and not intended. There's currently a bug in Minetest which allows games to change the water_level in minetest.conf. The developers are aware of that. I hope it will be fixed in a future version.

Until that, the only thing you can do is to reset the water_level value manually. :-(

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 00:23
Until that, the only thing you can do is to reset the water_level value manually. :-(
no,
scan the mods folder, also the using game folder with a tool seeking for the "water_level" term to find out if and what game / mod changes it.
also some of the settings can be added extra again to the minetest.conf , maybe could work as second chance to fix it.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Norore

by Norore » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 00:23
It's possible a different game has changed water_level for you.
Effectively. It seems it's from one of your different other game mod, ups!

hades_revisited/mods/hades_mapgen/init.lua
48:     minetest.set_mapgen_setting("water_level", "-5")
My water_level was set to -5 on the general settings, thank you.
Thank you for your help, I think I will now be able to progress on this game :-)!

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

It is perfectly legal for a game to change the water_level, and Minetest should NOT set it to a global setting, normally. So I'm not going to change Hades Revisited for that.
This is a confirmed bug introduced in Minetest 5.4.0, and I just noticed they already fixed it. Still, this is a very annoying regression. :-( Stay tuned for the next Minetest version. Until then, you have to manually change your water_level.

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/11351

Tim790
GitHub: Tim79000
In-game: Tim7

by Tim790 » Post

Can't play, not on CDB anymore.
Yeet.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

True, the game is no longer on ContentDB since a while anymore due to guideline violations.

Serveral textures need to be replaced. If you want to help, see: https://codeberg.org/Wuzzy/realtest_mt5/issues/4
I currently do not care enough about this game to fix this myselves. The game isn’t too great anyway and this project was always just an attempt to make an ancient game (original is from 2012) playable again (for historic interest), not to make a great game.

This game can be downloaded from the forums or Codeberg.org in the meanwhile.

duckgo
In-game: duckgo

by duckgo » Post

I used to play this game, some friends played it on video, but I stopped because at some point I didn't find out how to make some items, but the game is different, excellent, I like it and the survival proposal ..