[Game] The RealTest Game (Minetest 5 Edition) [1.1.5]

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine

Re: [Game] The RealTest Game (Minetest 5 Edition) [1.1.3]

by Sokomine » Post

Triandra wrote: So, I have tried to make Mobs Redo compatible with Realtest by changing some crafting recipes. It worked, however, I can't interact with the mobs. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is?
I've tried it now as well. The first problem was the fence registration. I've commented it out for now, but...RT has its own fences. Perhaps TenPlus1 can be convinced to make mobs_redo compatible with RT in that regard.

The second problem were sheep. They didn't yield any wool. RT doesn't really have any wool, so the one from default will do. But for wool to work, the dye table has to be public. A line "dye = dyelocal" right after the declaration of dyelocal helps. It would be great if Wuzzy could change the dye mod to provide public access to that table and rename it. Or perhaps just take the dye mod from MTG as it is more current (RT never had anything special regarding dyes to my knowledge).

Milking cows is a challenge that can't really be done yet. MTG has just one bucket. RT has tons: One for each wood type, one for each metal type. And none of these comes in the "filled with milk" definition. Changing it so that one particular bucket can be the can-be-filled-with-milk-one might be easiesst - but not very satisfying in the long run. Perhaps for a start best take the bucket mod from MTG.

Regarding fighting: That was changed some time ago. What seems to be necessary is adding

Code: Select all

damage_groups = {fleshy=8},
in the table tool_capabilities in instruments/init.lua in the sword registration. The value 8 stands for a diamond sword in the default game. The fleshy group capabilities in RT seem too weak for modern mobs. Figuring out reasonable values might take some time and more work.

The same applies to armor. RT doesn't have any yet - but tons of nice metals from which it could be crafted. Patterns for each type of armor (head, body, trouser, shoes, shield) for the scribing table would be needed plus plan items for them. Terrafirmcraft seems to do the armor in steps. Nice idea...maybe that ought to be included as well. But in the end suitable textures would have to be created/imported from Terrafirmcraft? in order to get armor to actually work. 3darmor ought to be sufficiently flexible to register new armor types...

In general, textures are a big problem. Terrafirmcraft has a lot more textures and game content. The license of its code is very permissive (GPL), but I havn't found information regarding the textures in the past. However, there seems to be a new version now which *does* state an open license for textures. With that, it ought to be possible to recreate more of what Terrafirmcraft does and make RT even more enjoyable.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not planning any major features for RealTest. As I have now stated numerous times, this project exists to preserve a piece of (playable) Minetest history.

If you want to want to create a serious game out of this (with more stuff in it), I strongly recommend to fork it. And probably rename it, too.
My creations. I gladly accept bitcoins: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Wuzzy wrote: Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not planning any major features for RealTest. As I have now stated numerous times, this project exists to preserve a piece of (playable) Minetest history.
Don't worry, I got that. But that doesn't mean that there doesn't have to be a future for the game. After all your work here is a contribution to it as well: Changing it so that it runs with newer versions of MT again. What name it runs under is only relevant insofar as players who are intrested in it ought to be able to find the version they want to use. I've forked the game in the past and may work on that in the future, including your modifications.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Triandra

by Triandra » Post

Great, thank you, Sokomine - Mobs Redo in general and especially Animals is now working for me with RT :)
Sokomine wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 21:11

The first problem was the fence registration. I've commented it out for now, but...RT has its own fences. Perhaps TenPlus1 can be convinced to make mobs_redo compatible with RT in that regard.
Yes, that was also one of the first problems I encountered. I decided to just take the RT fences and place the mobs fence top on top of them. It looks a bit weird, but it works.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Version 1.1.4 released! Version 1.1.5 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

This is a bugfix release, mostly.
  • Fix strange "walking light" item sometimes dropping
  • Add textures to some uncommon items
  • Update mapgen menu for Minetest 5.3.0
  • Remove builtin_item mod as broken
  • Items no longer flow in water or get destroyed by lava
  • Remove pointless debugging output that appears in chat sometimes
My creations. I gladly accept bitcoins: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

sjaglin

by sjaglin » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 21:11
Triandra wrote: So, I have tried to make Mobs Redo compatible with Realtest by changing some crafting recipes. It worked, however, I can't interact with the mobs. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is?
I've tried it now as well. The first problem was the fence registration. I've commented it out for now, but...RT has its own fences. Perhaps TenPlus1 can be convinced to make mobs_redo compatible with RT in that regard.

The second problem were sheep. They didn't yield any wool. RT doesn't really have any wool, so the one from default will do. But for wool to work, the dye table has to be public. A line "dye = dyelocal" right after the declaration of dyelocal helps. It would be great if Wuzzy could change the dye mod to provide public access to that table and rename it. Or perhaps just take the dye mod from MTG as it is more current (RT never had anything special regarding dyes to my knowledge).

Milking cows is a challenge that can't really be done yet. MTG has just one bucket. RT has tons: One for each wood type, one for each metal type. And none of these comes in the "filled with milk" definition. Changing it so that one particular bucket can be the can-be-filled-with-milk-one might be easiesst - but not very satisfying in the long run. Perhaps for a start best take the bucket mod from MTG.

Regarding fighting: That was changed some time ago. What seems to be necessary is adding

Code: Select all

damage_groups = {fleshy=8},
in the table tool_capabilities in instruments/init.lua in the sword registration. The value 8 stands for a diamond sword in the default game. The fleshy group capabilities in RT seem too weak for modern mobs. Figuring out reasonable values might take some time and more work.

The same applies to armor. RT doesn't have any yet - but tons of nice metals from which it could be crafted. Patterns for each type of armor (head, body, trouser, shoes, shield) for the scribing table would be needed plus plan items for them. Terrafirmcraft seems to do the armor in steps. Nice idea...maybe that ought to be included as well. But in the end suitable textures would have to be created/imported from Terrafirmcraft? in order to get armor to actually work. 3darmor ought to be sufficiently flexible to register new armor types...

In general, textures are a big problem. Terrafirmcraft has a lot more textures and game content. The license of its code is very permissive (GPL), but I havn't found information regarding the textures in the past. However, there seems to be a new version now which *does* state an open license for textures. With that, it ought to be possible to recreate more of what Terrafirmcraft does and make RT even more enjoyable.
Hi,

All this is very useful, do you currently have a stable set of mobs that can be used on RT by a newbie? I can tweak a bit but time is short and I do it for my kids...

Help would be appreciated, this is a great game!

Best wishes

S