Splizard
GitHub: Splizard
IRC: Splizard
In-game: Splizard

Re: Re:

by Splizard » Post

CraigyDavi wrote:
Splizard wrote:
CraigyDavi wrote: I think I have fixed the item features issue. Do you know how I could get the hunger and thirst to work?
Hunger and thirst will only work during a match. eg started with the "/hg start" command or voting with "/vote".
Problem still occurs when match is started.
Try the latest Git, I might have fixed the problem with the latest version of Survival Modpack.
Games: Builda City, The Hungry Games Mods: Lifters, Snow Biomes and Gates. Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!

Splizard

Re: [Game] The Hungry Games [hungry_games] [0.4]

by Splizard » Post

spillz wrote:Two issues using github version of Hungry Games and recent minetest version:
1. In a two player game, second player was losing all of his permissions every time he died
2. Sometime spawn is underground with no obvious way out (short of /teleport)
What permissions was he losing? yea that is a bug that will occur sometimes when you are using a randomly generated map, I have attempted to reduce the chance of that happening but the only real fix at the moment is to use one of the official hungry_games maps.
Games: Builda City, The Hungry Games Mods: Lifters, Snow Biomes and Gates. Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!

spillz

by spillz » Post

Splizard wrote: What permissions was he losing? yea that is a bug that will occur sometimes when you are using a randomly generated map, I have attempted to reduce the chance of that happening but the only real fix at the moment is to use one of the official hungry_games maps.
Interact.

Also I have at least one unknown node that sometimes appears in the chest. Any idea what that is?

PS: How does one use the bow? (I have bow and arrows, but darned if I can figure out how it works)

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

spillz wrote:
Splizard wrote: What permissions was he losing? yea that is a bug that will occur sometimes when you are using a randomly generated map, I have attempted to reduce the chance of that happening but the only real fix at the moment is to use one of the official hungry_games maps.
Interact.

Also I have at least one unknown node that sometimes appears in the chest. Any idea what that is?

PS: How does one use the bow? (I have bow and arrows, but darned if I can figure out how it works)
Yea when someone dies they are supposed to lose interact untill the start of the next game.
Yup that's the old 3d armour, the new version changes some of the items, I have fixed this in the latest Git version.
You need to have the Arrows you want to shoot on the left side of the Bow in the item hotbar.

Achilles
In-game: Achilles

by Achilles » Post

This seems great. Never noticed it before...

pmpeetamellark
In-game: Peeta Mellark

by pmpeetamellark » Post

I volunteer as tribute! :)

I am so getting this! Thx to all of the creators of this!
Peeta Mellark
District 12 Tribute, Victor, and Mentor
May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor! :)

script0r

by script0r » Post

The download for the hunger games map isn't working anymore. It would be great if somebody could upload the map again - I would love to play it on my upcoming LAN-Party ;)

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

Sorry website was down, should be up now.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

A new Hungry Games server is now online!

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12156

I will post my comments from time to time in this thread.

Also, the download links for the 2 maps are broken; Ubuntu One has been shut down.

One particular additional comment about this subgame:
I always disliked the way the countdown period is done. I haven't looked at the code yet, but it looks like you basically just teleport the player to the starting position once per second. This is annoying/confusing on laggy servers, it also causes the looking direction to “jump back” when I look around.

I suppose a better way to do this is not by repeated teleporting, but by setting the raw player speed to 0 with set_physics_override in the countdown period and setting it back to 1 in the “lobby” and in the game itself.

However, if this is done, I guess this subgame cannot be extended with the sprint mod anymore.

EDIT:
I just tried out The Hungry Games 0.4 on my local machine with Minetest 0.4.12 and instantly got this warning:
GenerateImagePart(): Failed to load image "" for [combine
Sadly, I can't give you more details, sorry. :-(

EDIT 2: The file “food_soup_chicken_raw.png seem to be missing as well.

EDIT 3: In Minetest 0.4.12, the Hungry Games crashed for me in a singleplayer game for testing:
18:32:39: WARNING: Undeclared global variable "privs" accessed at ...test/games/hungry_games/mods/hungry_games/engine.lua:145
18:32:39: ERROR[main]: ServerError: ...test/games/hungry_games/mods/hungry_games/engine.lua:145: attempt to index global 'privs' (a nil value)
18:32:39: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
18:32:39: ERROR[main]: ...test/games/hungry_games/mods/hungry_games/engine.lua:145: in function 'func'
18:32:39: ERROR[main]: /usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/misc.lua:19: in function '?'
18:32:39: ERROR[main]: /usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:341: in function </usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:329>
18:32:39: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players:
18:32:51: ACTION[main]: [MOD]inventory_plus -- loaded from /home/wuzzy/.minetest/games/hungry_games/mods/inventory_plus
18:32:51: WARNING: Undeclared global variable "hunger_times" accessed at ...zy/.minetest/games/hungry_games/mods/hunger/init.lua:28
18:32:51: WARNING: Undeclared global variable "drowning_times" accessed at .../.minetest/games/hungry_games/mods/drowning/init.lua:15
I don't know if this affects actual multiplayer as well, I haven't tested it.

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

hmmmm, that's a shame that the latest Minetest version breaks the game, this is a regression of Minetest I believe as they are supposed to support old mods.
And thanks, the physics override is a good idea, that functionality wasn't around when I made the game :)
I will upload the maps to my website too if I can find them!

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

One suggestion:

The /vote thing is really annoying, it really just slows down the game if many newbies randomly join the server. I have a suggestion to handle this differently:

Throw out /vote, use a different command, let's say, /play. In the lobby phase, as soon as 2 players have issued the /play command, a timer of 1 minute (or other time, not too short but also not too long, depends on config) will run. In this time, everyone else can also say /play to start the game. If everyone has issued /play, the game will immediately begin. Otherwise, the game will start as soon the timer runs out. Now here's the trick: It will only start with the players who used /play, everyone else stays in the lobby.

A nice-side effect of this that AFKers just stay in the lobby while not blocking the entire game. It also makes spectating “more possible”.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

For your interest:
I think I have found the cause for the rare holes in the glass wall. It is the cavegen carving through. All glass arena nodes have is_ground_content set to true. This means, the cavegan may explicitycly dig through this, possibly causing these holes. Set is_ground_content for all glass arena node to false and the cavegen should not touch the glass arena anymore.

Splizard

by Splizard » Post

Thanks Wuzzy, would you like push access to the repo to make the changes you suggest? I don't play minetest any more due to lack of friends who enjoy the game :/
But I am happy to give you push access if you like and I can also create a new release when possible :)
(Do you have a github account?)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

This is not neccessary. GunshipPenguin has forked your subgame: https://github.com/gunshippenguin/hungry_games
It is this fork which is used on the server.

I have made a couple of contributions to it, and I plan to continue in order to make bug-free, more user-friendly, more complete, and more balanced. On other words: a finished and decent subgame. :-)
This goal has not been achieved yet, but maybe we'll reach it one day.
I don't want to contribute directly to your subgame, because GunshipPenguin's fork already has made some nice progress, and I don't want to duplicate all the work.

Maybe I can convince GunshipPenguin to post a thread for that fork.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

I'm now hosting a Hunger Games server on Splizard's version. Up to 16 players.

Address: 178.170.68.180
Port: 30000

By the way, it looks like both versions have outdated textures.