[Game] Lord Of The Rings [Lord-of-the-Test] [1.2.0]

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

Re: [Game] Lord Of The Rings [Lord-of-the-Test] [1.1.0]

by Kilarin » Post

I'm struggling to make a ring of power. It takes a LOT of work to craft one, which I think is pretty cool.

But I'm struggling through the code trying to find out what exactly a ring of power DOES in lord of the test, and other than using the dwarven ring to craft some stuff, I'm not finding the code.

So what do rings of power DO after you spend all that time and resources crafting one?

Nota

by Nota » Post

Just an FYI, I've released my forked version of the original LOTT with lots of changes:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20082

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

In the original LOTT, which is what this is, the dwarven(purple) ring doubles ores, the blue ring heals you when you hold it in your hand, the red ring makes mobs follow you, and the white ring is basically a full set of mithril armor.
What is SCP-055?

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Thanks!

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

So, with much work, and resources, I got ready for the final step to create my ring of power....
I was expecting:
Success: an explosion and a crater with my ring at the bottom.
or
Failure: A smaller explosion and a crater with no ring at the bottom.

But what I got was an explosion that filled the whole area with lava. Not just lava on the ground, huge pillars of lava filling the whole spherical explosion area. I got the "Ringmaker" achievement, so this was a success condition. But how am I supposed to get to the ring before it expires? There is a LOT of lava requiring removal. By the time I got it cleared out, no ring.

Hmmm.

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Maybe do it underwater next time
What is SCP-055?

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Duh, yes, water was the solution. At long last, I managed to create, and collect, a ring of power.
Thank you very much!
I notice that mithril was left out of the ore doubling ability of the dwarven ring, I assume that was deliberate?
Also, was dwarvern an accidental or deliberate misspelling? :)

Amaz
GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

by Amaz » Post

Hello!
Sorry for not replying for a while, life has been fairly busy recently...
Nota wrote:I didn't know this was being worked on currently, and I couldn't get in touch with the developers via email or IRC, so I have forked this game from the older (stable) version....
I'm sorry for not getting back to you at all... I've played around in your version and it's really, really good and fun! Also, the name (Tolkein Test!) is wonderful!

Sorry for not answering any of your questions, Kilarin, but I'm glad that you were able to figure out most things by yourself/with help from others! Apologies also for the difficulty of crafting rings, (and the horrible code which accompanies them!), it's on my (very long) list of things that need reworking if/when I get time. The decision to disallow mithril doubling was very much deliberate, although the misspelling was accidental!
Chem871 wrote:Would you update the tool textures, to have the same shape(s) as the latest default tools? e.g. pickaxe, shovel, hoe....
Again, on my list of things to do, with the textures made by raven.
LMD wrote:Is this project still being worked on ?
BTW, you refused the use of big schematics : My advice : Take a look at LOTH, it has a good town generation.
Yes, it's still being worked on when I get a moment. I'm mainly working on rewriting the game from scratch, to neaten the code up, and make it all more cohesive, the result of which can be seen here: https://github.com/minetest-LOTR/Lord-o ... v2-rewrite

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Amaz wrote:Sorry for not answering any of your questions, Kilarin
NOT a problem, you have a life. :)
Amaz wrote:and the horrible code which accompanies them!)
Code was not horrible. I made the mistake of searching on GIT instead of just searching through the downloaded content on my own hard drive. GIT was only showing my tiny snippets of the code, and didn't seem to be finding all of it for some reason. Anyway, once I started examining the code on my own machine, the functionality became clear.
Amaz wrote:Apologies also for the difficulty of crafting rings
Quite the opposite. I think this is a positive. by the time I started crafting on the rings, I had built up a pretty good stash of materials. In MOST Minetest games I've played, by the time you have that much stuff, the challenge of the game is mostly over. There is still a lot of building and exploring to do, which is GREAT fun, but you pretty much have the stuff to craft anything you want. NOT SO in LOTT. At that point you find that there is still an enormous amount of work and effort to do if you want to craft a ring of power. You realize that you do NOT have enough mithril. That you need to find lava and obsidian. That you have many things you have to work on and struggle to accomplish yet. And that is GREAT in my opinion. It really extended the interest of the game for me. I do think you might want to mention the lava in the ring making notes. But perhaps surprising the players with that last obstacle was the intent?

I also really like the way you made the crafting books so that each one you crafted, revealed the secrets needed in order to craft another crafting book. This helped to make it so that the player keeps having new things to play with and discover. I like it much better than just starting off with a crafting book that explains everything at once. It makes learning new things feel like much more of an accomplishment!

Some more observations about LOTT:

The MOBS were both one of the best and worst aspects of the game. There is a wonderful variety of peoples in the game. And the bad guys are deadly. Try wandering around in an enemy biome, especially at night, and you are dead meat. I've got a collection of like 30 tombstones from how many times I died. I really like the fact that the mobs were challenging. It wasn't until I finally got a full set of gavalorn armor that the trolls and orcs finally quit killing me so quickly. And that was a LONG way into the game.
On the negative side, the mobs had no edge avoidance logic at ALL. I built my castle on top of a low floating island. Mobs were spawning on it, and the cliffs around it, and then plummeting to their dooms so rapidly that at times it felt like it was raining horses, men and dwarves. I fed myself for the first part of the game by just gathering up meat from all the horses that plummeted to their deaths.
At one point, an elf came walking up to me. As he passed I right clicked on him and he said, "It is not wise to delve too deeply into the art of the enemy!" and then immediately leapt off a cliff to his death. It was both profound and funny at the same time. :) I realize that MOB AI is a general MineTest problem and not LOTT specific, of course.
Also, I found the mobs spawning in my mine shaft to be frustrating. It doesn't matter if I build a nice locked door so that no one can get in to my mine. Dwarves will spawn, and spawn so thickly that they block my ability to walk through. And if you are digging with your pick, and a dwarf jumps in front of you and accidentally gets hit, then they all get VERY ANGRY and try to kill you. This was a minor irritation, but it was an irritation.
It would be REALLY NICE if when you put your cursor over a mob, or at least when you right click on them, if it would identify their race.
I think it would be great if defeating mobs gave you experience that eventually started making you better at fighting mobs, more rpg style.
Now, I don't want that list of negatives to overwhelm the fact that overall, I really liked the mobs in LOTT. I'm trying to give useful feedback, I'm NOT griping. I had FUN!

Another issue that was both positive and negative is the metals in the game. Once I figured out how it worked, the progression of gradually increasing metals was very nice! Game balance wise, I thought it worked great. The problem was that it was so counter intuitive that it wasn't until I read it on the wiki that I figured out that steel was the weakest metal in the game, copper was stronger than steel, and tin was stronger than copper. That is exactly the opposite of their order in reality. I don't know if this needs to be "fixed", but it was something I found disconcerting.

Farming Mod suggestion: Xanadu is using a farming mod that allows plants to mature based on how long it has been since they were planted, even if the player is not in the area at the time. I think it is a VERY nice variation. Not certain exactly which mod it is, but you might want to consider that variation.

Also, there were several varieties of trees that I could not seem to get to grow no matter what I did. Elm trees, for example. Even planting them in the right biome, the saplings NEVER seem to grow. I may have been doing something wrong.

This is not an important point, but I found the bacteria injector to sort of clash with the theme of the mod. Seemed anachronistic.

A search function in the crafting manuals would be a very nice edition.

I ended up with chests full of axes and war hammers and armor, because enemy mobs (and friendlies who jumped off cliffs or got taken out by enemies) kept dropping them. And I never found anything I could DO with them. I did find some merchants, but the goods they would buy were very limited lists and never seemed to include the stuff I wanted to sell. :) I think it would be really nice if weapons and armor could be melted down to gain back a portion of the metal that went into making them. Perhaps 1/2 or 1/3rd? It would make gathering loot off of the mobs you defeat feel like it was really worth while.

My opinions, take them or leave them as you wish. I had (and am still having) a LOT of fun with this game. I want to thank you and everyone else who worked on it for the time and effort you put in to lovingly crafting this piece of art.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Oh! One more thing I forgot. I really missed being able to do /home. But when I created a bed, put it in my castle, and slept in it, I still couldn't /home, and my respawn point didn't change. That may be your intent (to add to the troublesome-ness of dying) And if so, it certainly did. :)

Nota

by Nota » Post

Amaz wrote:I'm sorry for not getting back to you at all... I've played around in your version and it's really, really good and fun! Also, the name (Tolkein Test!) is wonderful!
Thanks, feel free to use my ideas to incorporate into your own version. As I said on the TT page, the original LOTT is amazing and I kept much of it the same, so many great ideas. Or, you can use my version and change it around, and I can incorporate your ideas into my forked version.

Mardarth

by Mardarth » Post

I am loving the game, I have had it up and running almost flawlessly for 2 weeks now.

I have had a few instances where the game encountered a problem, which resulted in shutting the server down. I am always able to login via Putty and get the server back up fast, but if I am at work (real life) it means the server stays down for several hours till I get back home.

Could anyone help me with this error? I know some programming, mainly PHP, but LUA is completely new to me. I have spent days trying to understand how to fix this, but so far, no luck.

This is the error here, every time it happens, there is an active player doing something, rather building, trying to hit a travelnet or opening achievement book, sometimes in protected areas, sometimes in unprotected, so I can't figure out which mod to focus on. I have even tried troubleshooting on the lottblocks mod, with no success.

Code: Select all

2018-07-14 12:10:40: WARNING[Server]: Undeclared global variable "update_formspecs" accessed at ...16-linux/bin/../games/adewl/mods/lottblocks/beds.lua:34
2018-07-14 12:10:41: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod '*builtin*' in callback on_playerReceiveFields(): ...16-linux/bin/../games/adewl/mods/lottblocks/beds.lua:34: attempt to call global 'update_formspecs' (a nil value)
2018-07-14 12:10:41: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-07-14 12:10:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...16-linux/bin/../games/adewl/mods/lottblocks/beds.lua:34: in function '?'
2018-07-14 12:10:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...netest-0.4.16-linux/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:412: in function <...netest-0.4.16-linux/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:392>

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

It looks like an issue with the lottblocks mod beds. Maybe they're incompatible with something?
What is SCP-055?

Mardarth

by Mardarth » Post

Thank you Chem, I will look into it further. I am using the same mods the game came with, with protector, signs, smart shops and travelnet as the only extra mods so it won't be too hard to find, I hope lol.

AspireMint
GitHub: AspireMint
IRC: AspireMint
In-game: AspireMint

by AspireMint » Post

Please consider upgrading spider model to new version (better quality of model and texture, smaller file size): https://github.com/AspireMint/mob_spider1
or to tarantula-like spider: https://github.com/AspireMint/mob_spider2

casio33

by casio33 » Post

Hi there,

first of all, thank you for this wonderful subgame. Playing in the world of "Lord of the Rongs" is fantastic.

It seems, however, there is a problem with the mod "npcframe". When I try to load a world, it says:

When I load the world without the mod (deleted), everything is ok. But, of course, the npcs are missing.

Do you have a solution for that?

Niscobad
IRC: Niscobad
In-game: Niscobad

by Niscobad » Post

Hi,
I wanted to try the new dev version but I had this :

Code: Select all

2018-09-28 21:53:45: ACTION[Main]: Server for gameid="Lord-of-the-Test-2-rewrite" listening on 0.0.0.0:60219.
2018-09-28 21:53:46: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer [127.0.0.1] joins game. 
2018-09-28 21:53:46: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer
2018-09-28 21:53:50: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: environment_Step: Runtime error from mod 'lottplayer' in callback environment_Step(): ...of-the-Test-2-rewrite/mods/lottmapgen/technical/init.lua:196: attempt to call method 'get_2d' (a nil value)
2018-09-28 21:53:50: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-09-28 21:53:50: ERROR[Main]: 	...of-the-Test-2-rewrite/mods/lottmapgen/technical/init.lua:196: in function 'get_biome_at_pos'
2018-09-28 21:53:50: ERROR[Main]: 	...ames/Lord-of-the-Test-2-rewrite/mods/lottplayer/init.lua:228: in function <...ames/Lord-of-the-Test-2-rewrite/mods/lottplayer/init.lua:222>
2018-09-28 21:53:50: ERROR[Main]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:420: in function </usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:400>
2018-09-28 21:53:50: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-09-28 21:53:50: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players: 
It happened just a few seconds after the singleplayer game launched...
I hope you can do something with that and one day release this second version of this awesome subgame !

(I play on Linux, minetest version 0.4.17.1)
ywLICeKnswFUipi4Le3lJCNXlSrxVXOp

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Kilarin wrote: Also, I found the mobs spawning in my mine shaft to be frustrating. It doesn't matter if I build a nice locked door so that no one can get in to my mine.
Replace the floor with cobblestone and they won't spawn anymore.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Mantar wrote:Replace the floor with cobblestone and they won't spawn anymore.
good strategy! thank you!

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Would you add the armor_stand mod to this game?
What is SCP-055?

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

What are salt and pearls for?
What is SCP-055?

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

How would I go into the code and remove the failure chance for ring crafting?
What is SCP-055?

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

You want mods/lottother/rings/ringcraft.lua. Look in the random_break function, and replace
if math.random(8) > chance then
with, say,
if true then
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Thank you!
What is SCP-055?

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

I have an idea for tool crafting, what if you made a mold for a pickaxe head, filled it with metal, cooked that, and put a stick in it to make a pickaxe? Except for rings, though.
What is SCP-055?