Voxelgarden (previously called Nodetest) is a subgame for Minetest (the engine) and aims to be compatible with most mods*. It's focus is on a basic gameplay with more survival features.
*Voxelgarden is incompatible with: moreblocks
This game is a rolling release and is always based on the latest git version of the Minetest engine. The "stable" releases are just snapshots of the state when the corresponding engine version was released.
Mapgen: v6 is recommended. Mapgens that use biomes (v5, v7, valleys, fractal) are supported too, but are not as polished.
Latest version (requires the latest Minetest engine)
Review of 0.4.10 by myswiat
Review of 0.4.9 by Meldrian (german)
What is this game about?
It is nothing special, it is just a basic voxel game done different.
Don't expect to many fancy features, as I only add what really works (sorry, no mobs until now). Instead with modularity, polished mods and stairsplus it offers the freedom to be creative (creative like create not decorate). There are many mods for minetest you don't need because you can build the same using only a few nodes and your fantasy.
- Good textures by default, forming an overall consisted style.
- Self planting saplings. No need to collect them. Forests will spread naturally.
- Progressive gameplay, while still offering different ways to achieve your goals.
- Not only stairs and slaps, but a wide range of sub-nodes, enable detailed buildings.
- Must-see mapgen. Getting the best out of mapgen v6.
- Runs very good on old hardware.
- A well-thought-out hunger system. Is not annoying as long as you have enough to eat, but it can become dangerous very fast.
- All the mods are tweaked to work good together.
- Game mechanics different form minetest_game and Minecraft. Giving the game it's one feeling.
- With modular doors you can build more than just doors. e.g. window frames, hatches, street lamps...
- Good locking and big conifers.
- Stranded like gameplay. You start with nothing and it takes hard work to obtain your small bit of luxury.
- Thought of biomes for mapgen v5 and v7. Including snow biomes.
- Cactus has spices (but does not hurt).
- Doors can be used as hatches.
- Nyancats in the sky. (In Minetest Game they only spawn underground.)
- Details, details, details. Don't miss them.
- conifer (Conifer trees. They don't generate with mapgen v6, use "/giveme conifer:sapling 90" instead.)
- doors (Modular doors. Includes windows and hatches.)
- drowning (Works different then in other subgames. You can hold your breath for about one minute.)
- footsteps (You make footsteps on grass and will ruin your farming soil.)
- hunger (The less health you have the faster you get hungry. When the hunger bar reaches zero you will take small damage.)
- intweak (Breaking sound for tools. Refills stacks when used up.)
- nodetest (Common mod for everything: horizontal trees, papyrus roots, bone, rock)
- no_itemdrop (Saplings plant them selfs. Torches, sings, rails, plants, etc. don't drop as items but fall like falling nodes when the node they are attached to is dug.)
- stairs (For compatibility)
- stairsplus (Improved version of stairs plus. Gives you stairs, slaps, walls, panels and much more.)
- zcg (Zeg9's craft guide)
Recipes to know
Above sea level pools [highlandpools]
BlockMens beds [beds]
Will be added in the future: mobapi
Bug reports or fixes are always welcome. Also I would like to read more suggestions and ideas on how to improve the game. I might not add everything, but it is always good to have some outside opinions.
I know nobody will donate anyway. But if someone does it might improve my motivation.
Information for modders
To check if the player is running this game you can use the following. The mod named nodetest contains most of the nodes and functions that are not in minetest_game. For other mods it it better to check those mods directly.
- Code: Select all
if minetest.get_modpath("nodetest") then
for every mod applies the original licence
for other code LGPL 2.1 or later
for other textures CC BY-SA
for other sounds CC BY-SA