[Game] Voxelgarden [5.6.0]

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

Re: [Game] Voxelgarden [git]

by Casimir » Post

This version should be the newest still compatible with 0.4.15, as far as I tested.

Alternatively there are nightly builds for mac, then you could use the latest version.

(Just to have it complete I commented the same in the github issue.)

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

In the last few weeks I worked a lot on this subgame. There will be a more detailed post some time, for now you can look at the recent commits.

Now I start to overthink the physics. Falling nodes already behave quite different from the engines default, and the way water renews changed. Now I consider to make a little/big change to the liquid behaviour that would make it behave more like the long gone "finite liquid", it isn't "finite" though, but "falling". It might be pretty demanding on resources, I haven't measured yet.

This is the reason I make this post. I kind of like it, but it would be good to have more opinions. I would be happy if someone could test it and give me honest feedback. From a conceptual, gameplay, technical, aesthetic, whatever standpoint.

Code: Select all

local source_pos = {
-- First check the node directely above for falling down.
	{x = 0,  y = 1, z = 0},
-- Then check sideways to flow downsteam.
	{x = 1,  y = 1, z = 0},
	{x = -1, y = 1, z = 0},
	{x = 0,  y = 1, z = 1},
	{x = 0,  y = 1, z = -1},
}

minetest.register_abm({
	nodenames = {"default:water_flowing"},
	neighbors = {"default:water_source"},
	interval = 1,
	chance = 1,
	action = function(pos, node)
		for _, p in ipairs(source_pos) do
			local s_pos = {x = pos.x + p.x, y = pos.y + p.y, z = pos.z + p.z}
			if minetest.get_node(s_pos).name == "default:water_source" then
				node.name = "default:water_source"
				minetest.remove_node(s_pos)
				minetest.set_node(pos, node)
				break
			end
		end
	end
})
(Liquid range would probably be reduced too.)

You can put this in a mod, try a new world any fly around the coast searching for caves the water floods.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Hey Casimir. Good to see you've taken up development pace again. Reading your last post immediately reminds me of FaceDeer's recent work on Dynamic liquids which sounds very similar if not a perfect match to yout efforts of making liquids finite.

I haven't had the chance of trying your code yet, sorry!

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Thanks, I didn't knew about that one. But I don't think I can use any of it. It's basically the same I am already doing, plus a lot of other features I don't think I need.

Edit: I attached a new version of the liquid code (as a ready to use mod). Now it works for lava too and looks much smoother.

Edit2: There is also the add row feature I have been playing around for a while. It's like the dig up for papyrus and cactus, but in reverse: you add nodes. This will become useful for ropes and such.
Attachments
row.tar.gz
(769 Bytes) Downloaded 294 times
fallingwaters.tar.gz
(740 Bytes) Downloaded 263 times

texmex

by texmex » Post

I think that some environmental factors as survival obstacles could favor the Voxelgarden sublime play style. For instance, if heat would affect the player then travel and settlement in certain biomes could be made more challenging. Perhaps certain crops can only grow in certain heat and humidity conditions, perhaps the player needs to craft clothing to keep body temperature up.

This could open up for different play styles in different biomes, enriching the game as a whole and make it last longer.

Edit: I realize this feature would depend on mgv7…

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

0.4.16 release is out.

As always this is nothing but the current state of the subgame packed and named in conjunction with the engine release.
This makes this version compatible with the current 0.4.16 release of Minetest.
This time I am planing to have 0.4.16.n releases before I add any features only available in the dev version of Minetest. This way you will be able to get a more up to date version of Voxelgarden even when using a stable version of Minetest.

Changes since... i don't know; since last post I posted changes:
(I won't list everything MTG has added too, like mushrooms and walls.)

Mapgen
Using decorations it now is faster.
Improved support for biome based mapgens (v5, v7, vallies).
There is more grass growing, flowers group by type.
Ore generation tweaked. Copper is now fairly common and iron harder to get.

Fire
Now behaves even more predicable which makes it possible - if you are careful - to have a fireplace in your house.

Liquid renewing changed
While previously two sources could crate new water in specific shapes, now four source nodes in any shape will do.
This way water patches look different. With the old behaviour every collection of water would form strange looking rectangles, the new one allows diagonals to form.
Lava is now renewable too.

Molten rock
When lava sources cool they turn into molten rock. When you get it out of the water before it cools down even further and become ordinary stone you will have a weak light source (which can set things on fire.)

In creative you can easily remove ("dig") liquids with anything that can point on water (buckets mostly).

Custom falling behaviour
Voxelgarden falling now deviates even more from the engine behaviour:
There is a delay between near by falling nodes, so they don't all fall at once, but in succession.
Falling nodes collide with each other and with players and mobs (if you use any). This prevents a common bug that caused nodes go missing (or dropping to be more precise).

Doors
Glass doors have been added.
You can now shift+right click to place something onto doors without opening them.

Get gravel to get started
Initial game play changed again *sigh*. You need to find gravel which gives you small stones, so you can craft tools.
I still don't like the way this is going, but it's better than the previous.

Lots of new nice textures
Especially grass and normal-tree-leaves, those two alone change the appearance a lot.

Tools have been reworked
Tool dig times and uses now follow a strict pattern and are tuned to give better balance.
Tools now have a defined number of uses, no mater which type of node you dig.
Wood: 15
Stone: 60
Copper: 45 (because copper is soft)
Steel: 90
Swords and hoes differ by a factor of *3 and /3 respectively.

Other
Lots of details, tuning, improvement and bug fixing.
The nyancat (spawning) and the intweak mod have been removed.

Future plans:
See the issue tracker. Not everything will make it into the next release, but I'm very interested in doing the falling liquid stuff, properly supporting biome based mapgens and adding more useful ores (or ways to get better materials).
I also want to get the Unternull/The Ocean Experiment server running again at some point. With the new liquid behaviour it will be fun.

@ texmex
Yes, temperature would make the game very interesting. At the moment there is no need to build a house for yourself. In MC you have mobs and need protection from them, you also need light for mobs not to spawn in your house. As a result mobs replace the reasons people have houses and light in the real world. Weather and temperature would crate a need for housing, fire and so on and give the game a great depth.
However it's extremely hard to do, not only technical, but also conceptual. And if I would have enough free time for this, I would spend it on other features (see future plans above).

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

0.4.16.2 release

So I made a small point release, because as of now I will include feature of the current minetest-dev (0.5) which won't work with 0.4.16 any more.

Changes since last post: fix tree growth times, other small fixes, Trees in v5 v7 etc. mapgen now look similar grown ones.

Nezchan
In-game: Nezchan

by Nezchan » Post

I played this subgame some time ago and decided to take another look to see how things have come along. However, the game crashes every time I try to run Voxelgarden. When I try to run it from terminal I get this:

minetest: /build/minetest-m2uL7R/minetest-0.4.16/src/nodedef.cpp:691: void ContentFeatures::updateTextures(ITextureSource*, IShaderSource*, irr::scene::IMeshManipulator*, Client*, const TextureSettings&): Assertion `liquid_type == LIQUID_SOURCE' failed.
If you need more info, just let me know what command I need to extract it.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

This release fixes it: 0.4.16.3

I pushed a fix to the 0.5 branch some time ago, but hadn't had the time to make a new 0.4 release for it.

Nezchan

by Nezchan » Post

Casimir wrote:This release fixes it: 0.4.16.3

I pushed a fix to the 0.5 branch some time ago, but hadn't had the time to make a new 0.4 release for it.
It works perfectly now, thank you.

josenuny
IRC: josenuny

by josenuny » Post

Hi, Any plans for beds to skip the night? It would be nice to be able to craft a bed to skip the night.

TheGreatCoffeeKing99
In-game: Coffee99

by TheGreatCoffeeKing99 » Post

Hi there.
I just got started and I am glad you have eradicated tree-punching.
(I personally think it is one of the worst reality breaches in most subgames.)
Anyway-- how do you get bones to craft the axe without dying?
I don't see a recipe to craft a stone axe without bones.

EDIT:
Just used sticks recipe to craft a stone axe. Please include small stones + sticks in crafting guide.

EDIT 2:
Awesome game! The falling dirt is really great. I will continue to play this game.
Hi. I don't have any published mods yet.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

I'm glad you like the game :)
Having a more natural and better paced start to the game was my main goal.

The bones recipe was a bad idea on my side, just a side note without any real use. I now removed it in the latest version.
The craft guide actually shows all alternative recipes for an item (using the up and down arrows), but by the way it works internally it displayed the unusual bone version before the normal sticks. You're not the first to be confused by it.

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Been playing around with this game, really like it. However after about 5mins Im getting an odd error. Could be a version mismatch as im using the current minetest version 0.4.17.1 but voxelgarden version 0.4.16.3.

2018-07-16 16:59:58: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'footsteps' in callback LuaABM::trigger(): ...in\..\games\Voxelgarden-0.4.16.3\mods\footsteps\init.lua:97: bad argument #2 to 'set_int' (number expected, got nil)
2018-07-16 16:59:58: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-07-16 16:59:58: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'set_int'
2018-07-16 16:59:58: ERROR[Main]: 	...in\..\games\Voxelgarden-0.4.16.3\mods\footsteps\init.lua:97: in function <...in\..\games\Voxelgarden-0.4.16.3\mods\footsteps\init.lua:87>
Ill try dropping back to the matching version of minetest as really liking voxelgarden,

Nols78
IRC: Nols78
In-game: Nols78

by Nols78 » Post

The same runtime error is happening to me.
Same Minetest version (0.4.17.1), same Voxelgarden version (0.4.16.3).

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

I basically poked around the code a little bit from the error.

under mods>>footsteps>>Init.lua, I adjusted line 97 so instead of being:

set_int("decay", nil)
to

set_int("decay", 0)
I don't know anything about Lua programming but I did read nil==false were as 0 is an integer and I'm not sure if the code is expecting an integer for it's loop to work. Like I said no real clue what the impact is on the code block and game overall but it seems to kill the error.

I've uploaded my fixed init file a well but I know how cautious I am downloading random files from the internet so it's an easy change to do yourself if you open the correct init.lua file:
(Voxelgarden-0.4.16.3>>mods>>footsteps>>init.lua) in notepad++ then adjust nil to 0 on line 97 and save.
Attachments
init.zip
copy over Voxelgarden-0.4.16.3>>mods>>footsteps>>init.lua
(916 Bytes) Downloaded 117 times

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Thank you for fixing it yourself :D I rarely look in to the forum.

In the developing version (which will be 5.0) I rewrote the footsteps mod to use node timers, which also fixed the crash. Just for convenience I made a new release that contains the new code: 0.4.17.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

In anticipation of Minetest version 5.0.0 I now added mobs to the game.

Changes since the last update post:

Mobs based on Mobs Redo
They use 2D sprites because I am to lazy to maintain and update 3D models.

For better fighting with mobs the "full punch interval" has been set to a small value for all tools and weapons. i.e. no long pause between attacks.

Getting started with crumbled stones
Probably the last iteration of me reworking this aspect of the game. Within normal stone you can find cracked/crumbled stone that you can dig with your hands. Four of them make a cobble stone. Stone tools can only be crafted with cobble. Also, normal stone drops crumbled stone.
This has the effect that to get started with mining need to find crumbled stone, and when mining you don't have loads and loads of cobble only a quarter of what you had before.

No more need for constant jumping
You can just walk and step onto full nodes without the need to jump. ("stepheight" has been increased to 1.1)

Cactus hurts players

Cactus figs added
They grow on top of cacti and are edible.

Granite and Sandstone
Sandstone now occurs naturally. Granite is new and can be found in sheets. It is harder than normal stone and requires better tools.

Jump two nodes high
As a replacement for sneak ladders. It's also more fun climbing mountains this way.

Max stack is set to 60
60 is a nice number as it can be divided by 2 (right click) 3 4 5 6 and 10 (middle click).

Tin and bronze
Bronze is stronger than copper, but weaker than steel.

Small changes
Most of them invisible. I'll just list those that you need to know for gameplay.

Mushrooms have been added and can be farmed. When you collect them they will leave spores behind if they have grown there long enough.

Papyrus roots don't grow papyrus on their own any more. You have to plant some papyrus on them.

Bones now drop nothing, as the bone item has no use yet and just litters multiplayer servers.

Stuff copied from Minetest Game
Some additions of MTG also made it into Voxelgarden. Mushrooms, fern, corals, seaweed, map, binoculars etc.
I would add more but it takes time 1. to test. 2. to adapt. 3. to make/find new textures that fit the VG style.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Nice update, Casimir. I like the replacement for sneak ladders! I feels like you're pulling yourself up past the ledge.

Casimir

Re: [Game] Voxelgarden [5.0.0]

by Casimir » Post

Version 5.0.0 has been released. See first post for downloads.

Nezchan

by Nezchan » Post

Coming back to Voxelgarden now that 5.0.0 is out, and I must say it's come a long way. There are just a couple of things where I'm lost though.

First, where do I find food? I'm living 100% off apples right now. The crafting menu says I can cook rats, which are plentiful, but if I try to kill one they don't drop anything and there's no sign of a recipe for anything like a net. It also mentions that I can make dough (and presumably bread) from wheat, but I can't come up with wheat or cotton seeds either, despite harvesting what grass I see.

Second, how do I set my respawn point? In other games the trick is to make a bed and sleep in it, but that also seems to be absent as a crafting recipe. Is there a method? I've lost one base already because I died and couldn't figure out how to get there from my respawn point.

[Edit: Never mind, I found the bed recipe, although it depends on finding cotton which I haven't done yet. So I'm back to issue one. Is there an easier way to set my respawn, or do I have to keep searching?]

Otherwise I'm having fun puttering around and mining. There are some good ideas in here that I haven't seen in other mods and I hope there's some way to deal with the two issues above. They'd make my enjoyment a lot greater.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

I have to admit that the farming part is confusing.
When you make fields, weed grows on them. Weed randomly drops cotton or wheat, which can be planted directly (no separate seeds as in MTG).
I planed on having farming plants grow in the wild but haven't added it yet.

You can catch rats with an empty hand and right click. This too should change soon.

Nezchan

by Nezchan » Post

Casimir wrote:I have to admit that the farming part is confusing.
When you make fields, weed grows on them. Weed randomly drops cotton or wheat, which can be planted directly (no separate seeds as in MTG).
I planed on having farming plants grow in the wild but haven't added it yet.

You can catch rats with an empty hand and right click. This too should change soon.
I thought it had something to do with those weeds! But I didn't harvest enough of them to get any cotton or wheat. That makes things much simpler. The rats thing works too, which explains why the world seems to be infested with them. Much better for delving into the mines with.

Now I just need to get a bed set up and a map kit, and I'm all set. Looking forward to other new additions.

Nezchan

by Nezchan » Post

Now that I've been at it for a little bit, I've run into another issue.

When I plant cotton or wheat on farming soil, it grows as normal, but sometimes the soil will revert to default dirt and in some cases default dirt with grass. I'm noticing this happen in about 1/8 cases, more or less. Is this supposed to happen? Also sometimes the wet soil turns dry for no apparent reason.

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure when the soil reverts under a plant, it stops growing. I'll keep an eye on it to see if that's the case. If so, that presents an unnessary requirement to keep digging up plants and re-hoe the soil.

Edit: Out of a 30-block planted area of cotton, 7 have reverted to grass and 2 more to default dirt, despite having cotton plants on them. I have not determined whether the plants have stopped growing altogether, but I haven't harvested anything off a default or grass block so far.

Edit 2: Confirmed that when a block reverts to ordinary dirt or dirt with grass, whatever's planted on it stops growing and has to be removed before the soil can be tilled again. This cuts into crop yield noticeably. Also, I have learned not to place a molten block next to a field of wheat. Entertaining, but not a terribly good idea.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Thank you for testing the game. It's good to have feedback.

Farming land turns back to dirt when you walk over it. But there might be other effects at play too. Which other mods do you have installed? I ask because it never happened to me that wet soil turns dry.
Also, I have learned not to place a molten block next to a field of wheat. Entertaining, but not a terribly good idea.
Sound like some fun five seconds ;)