[Game] Voxelgarden [5.6.0]

MTDad

Re: [Game] Voxelgarden [git]

by MTDad » Post

Casimir, maybe you caught it yourself by now, but I noticed on your current github version the "place_on" for your conifers was "default:dirt_with_grass" which would prevent them from being set to the map. I changed the registrations for them in biomes.lua as follows on my local copy;

Code: Select all

minetest.register_decoration({
	deco_type = "schematic",
	place_on = {"default:dirt_with_snow", "default:snowblock"},
	sidelen = 16,
	fill_ratio = 0.047,
	biomes = {"mountain", "alpine"},
	flags = "place_center_x, place_center_z",
	schematic = minetest.get_modpath("default").."/schematics/conifer_conifertree_1.mts",
})

minetest.register_decoration({
	deco_type = "schematic",
	place_on = {"default:dirt_with_snow", "default:snowblock"},
	sidelen = 16,
	fill_ratio = 0.037,
	biomes = {"mountain", "alpine"},
	flags = "place_center_x, place_center_z",
	schematic = minetest.get_modpath("default").."/schematics/conifer_conifertree_2.mts",
})
and got to see this;
hope this helps, and I love the concept behind Voxelgarden, good work.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Oh, yes. Thank you. Just pushed it.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

A map with mapgen v5

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

There are now good biomes with an actuall concept behind them. In general it is separated into forest and no forest, and three heat zones. That give six basic biomes: Snowy conifer forest, normal forest, jungle, snowy plains, grassland, desert. There are also two transitional zones between the different forest types. In the screenshot on the right you can see the transition between conifer and normal forest. There are also rare biomes of gravel and deep snow.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Beside updating everything there are some new features:

The mushrooms and iron bars similar to minetest_game have been added. The ironbars are part of the modular doors. This way you can use them as hatches, a balustrade, windows, doors, and iron bars and just everything else you can come up with.

Fire has changed a lot. It now is much more predictable and less "explosive". You can also make infinite fire pits. This is because things need at least two fire nodes beside them to burn down. Having only one fire will keep it alive, but your fuel will never be used up. Also one node of fire will not destroy your entire city any more. If you by accident place one somewhere you have still time until it catches on. To make buildings fireproof, leave at least three nodes of air between them. It will not jump wider than that.

A treasure house:

How to build a fire place (stones are just decoration, could be dirt as well):

This one works too:

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Casimir wrote: The mushrooms and iron bars similar to minetest_game have been added. The ironbars are part of the modular doors. This way you can use them as hatches, a balustrade, windows, doors, and iron bars and just everything else you can come up with.
Nice idea. I'm sure they'll make good doors.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

There are new hotbar textures and a new header.
"rock" is no more needed. It will be removed completely in the future.

Obligatory release of version 0.4.13
Changes are all the things mentioned above. For a full list see the commits.

mahmutelmas06
GitHub: mahmutelmas06
IRC: mahmutelmas06
In-game: masum

by mahmutelmas06 » Post

I know that u want very stable subgame so u dont want to but i think you should add some animals
My Mods:

Beverage

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Adding mobs is one of the long term goals. Probably using mobapi, but there has to be put a lot of work into it until I would include it by default.

eduardomezencio
GitHub: eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Post

It feels very good to play this game! The textures are really beautiful and there are a lot of details. Details can change everything. I would love if a lot of the things in this game became minetest defaults.

I'm finding it a little strange that the first set of tools I was able to get were the stone tools. Wooden tools are weaker and are also harder to get?

Congratulations, Casimir!

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Yes, it's hard to find a good, let's call it techtree for the start of the game. I don't like the way you do in minetest_game in the first minute cut a tree, get wooden tools, dig some stones, get stone tools and then you are done for the rest of the game. It would be nice to have a slow progress, where you always have multiple ways of reaching the next level. I'm open for suggestions.

eduardomezencio

I understand. So, please, allow me to suggest some ideas.

Well, I'm going to assume you really want to keep the stones as a starting point. If that's the case, maybe a good solution would be to make stone tools really suck (and maybe even remove wooden tools from the game to solve this problem of having weaker tools harder to make than stronger ones). Then just have more tiers of tools, like made of different "metals", and make each somewhat harder to find and mine than the previous one (and also make you always require the previous to mine the next).

Let's suppose the next tier after stone would be copper(it could be anything). Then the only things you would be able to mine with a stone pickaxe would be stone, coal and copper. Only coal would be easy, but stone and copper would take significant amount of time to mine, enough to discourage the player to go just digging his way, making he explore naturally generated caves, searching copper in the walls instead. (making stone hard to mine with stone tools can be even more realistic, since the thing you are trying to break is as strong as the tool you are using)

Then from there just kind of increment this process for each different "metal".

Another thing that I would like to suggest is that instead of crafting sticks with leaves, it maybe would be better to make leaves have a chance of dropping sticks when destroyed. I think it would be easier for the new player to figure out what to do. I can think of two different ways of doing that. One would be to have leaves and sticks work just like gravel and flint work in minecraft (I'll assume you know how it is). The other would be to not allow the player to collect leaves without a special tool for that, and then make the leaves have a chance of dropping sticks when you destroy it without that special tools. These two methods would prevent the player from making infinite sticks from the first leaf block he finds..

eduardomezencio

Another thing I think is not so neat is the appearance of rocks. They don't look like something you would be able to get bare-handed. Have you thought about making rocks have a custom model, instead of being a cube? I made this draft just to illustrate one possibility. It could also serve as a nice decoration.
Rocks
Rocks
rock1.png (351.19 KiB) Viewed 2497 times

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

eduardomezencio wrote:[...]
I agree, that would fit better than a full node.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

The modular doors and redone stairsplus are genius

eduardomezencio

I created a simple mod that does the thing I suggested about the rocks. It's here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13237 .Please, take a look!

I used one of your textures btw, Casimir. Hope you don't mind

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Hi, eduardo
I had a look at your mod and think the model is really good. It would make the intention, to be able to pick up those rocks, very intuitive. However actually I want to remove the rocks completely out of the game. For my purpose it was a bad decision to use them.

The underlying problem is a subtle one. If one introduces a starting material to build first tools, as soon as the player is over that phase the starting material covers all the landscape while being totally useless (just like cobble spoils the inventory). Second, for multiplayer it has to be renewable, otherwise new players won't find a way to start. I almost think about making trees punchable again, as the alternative is unsatisfying.

btw. I played a little with the hud, tried to align the hunger and health bar with the item hud. It turned out that at the old 24x24 size of the icons they would overlap in the middle. For now I made them 16x16. This is the actual size of the image and therefor it looks very nice, while the bigger ones where distorted. However, it now misses the rough big-pixel style it had before. So I would like to know how people like it.
Attachments
screenshot_20150920_232007.png
screenshot_20150920_232007.png (694.71 KiB) Viewed 2497 times

eduardomezencio

I understand, it will be a challenge to solve this progression problem. I think the idea of not punching trees was nice, maybe you can try to make it in a different way. Just one thing, please: keep working on this game. I think it has a lot of potential.

About the hud, I like it pixel-perfect.. I think you could leave it that way. I think this hud is looking better than any other I've seen in minetest games and mods.

Ivà
GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

by Ivà » Post

Casimir wrote:The underlying problem is a subtle one. If one introduces a starting material to build first tools, as soon as the player is over that phase the starting material covers all the landscape while being totally useless (just like cobble spoils the inventory). Second, for multiplayer it has to be renewable, otherwise new players won't find a way to start. I almost think about making trees punchable again, as the alternative is unsatisfying.
The rocks in your game are sometimes hard to find and really in a server would be a problem for new players quickly. But this happens with trees in servers with a lot of players too, sometimes you walk and walk and walk searching for a digable tree.

Loose_rocks spawns all over the landscape, are easy to find and (imho) are very decorative. Maybe it could have an abm like grass that makes loose_rocks "grows" and so makes it renewable.

Anyway, I like Voxelgarden a lot :)
Casimir wrote:btw. I played a little with the hud, tried to align the hunger and health bar with the item hud. It turned out that at the old 24x24 size of the icons they would overlap in the middle. For now I made them 16x16. This is the actual size of the image and therefor it looks very nice, while the bigger ones where distorted. However, it now misses the rough big-pixel style it had before. So I would like to know how people like it.
About the hud, I like the modification you've done.

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

eduardomezencio wrote:I think this hud is looking better than any other I've seen in minetest games and mods.
My subgame has a hud very similar to this, it's aligned pixel-perfect with 16px bars.
Edit: Here's a screenshot of it that I featured in the subgame thread:
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

eduardomezencio

kaadmy wrote:My subgame has a hud very similar to this, it's aligned pixel-perfect with 16px bars.
Oh yes, Pixture. I've been testing it too and I like it a lot. The appearance is very unique and, yes, the HUD looks good also.

caffe23
GitHub: caffe23

by caffe23 » Post

Boats are not included in the game, this is on purpuse or is a bug?, they are handy when there is a lot of isles because you can move faster.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

At the moment boats have to many bugs to use. I only add new mods if they have no known issues.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Biomes work again. Yay!

DatJohnDoe
IRC: DatJohnDoe
In-game: DatJohnDoe

by DatJohnDoe » Post

Why not make breaking dirt have a chance of giving you a rock/rock fragment?
Do or do not, Therw is no try - Yoda
Luke... I am your Father - Darth Vader