[Game] Voxelgarden [5.6.0]

andersje

Re: [Game] Voxelgarden [git]

by andersje » Post

I tried to fire up a voxel garden, but there appears to be nothing but stone and water, as far as the eye can see...

whatever am i doing wrong?
a wasteland, with but stone and water
a wasteland, with but stone and water
Screenshot 2014-08-24 20.49.12.png (460.47 KiB) Viewed 2762 times

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

You are using magpen version 7. It is incomplete right now, so try magpenv6 instead.
Attachments
Make sure you select v6
Make sure you select v6
Image.jpeg (21.81 KiB) Viewed 2762 times

andersje

by andersje » Post

Thanks, that seems to work a LOT better :)

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

Your welcome. As for more info, that new one, is not finished, but still has a lot of better features. For instance, there are mountains and rivers. Much better terrain than magpen 6. And there are a couple mods around to add some terrain (dirt, savanna, mountains, tundra, etc) around in mod releases.

But anyhoo...
andersje wrote:Thanks, that seems to work a LOT better :)
Your welcome. ;)

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Some changes:
* Cactus do have spices now, but still don't do damage.
* Used cleaned up tree code by ShadowNinja, which speeds up tree growing by about 30 times.
* Right click with a tool places the node that is right to the tool in your inventory. Useful for exploring caves with a pickaxe and torches.
* Further improved mapgen settings. The highest mountain I found so far in v6 was 126 nodes high.
* Doors can now be used as hatches.
* If you haven't noticed there is a Voxelgarden server. In it I am also testing some mods that will probably become part of the game in the future (mobs and beds).

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

I really like this game :)

May I use your default/textures/ for my game? (Surely with the creator and license stuff)
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

I'm glad someone likes it. And of course you can use the textures.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Casimir wrote: The next thing I want to add would cause big changes in gameplay, so I would like to have some opinions on this. With the mod in the attachment you can test it. Create a new world and enable the mod before you enter it. To make stone tools you first have to find rocks. Later you can craft nine cobble into one rock. Also, no more punching trees with the bare fist.
This is certainly something you need to mention at a more prominent place. Not burried in the middle of a long thread! And the alternative to gain these stones from cobble is a bit expensive (27 cobble for one pick).

I eventually figured out what "rocks" are. I first thought they where random blocks placed by players. If you really care about rocks, please take those nodeboxes from undergrowth or stoneage or whichever of the nice nature mods it is that adds them. This also causes problems on multiplayer servers as eventually all rocks in the vicinity of spawn (something your server doesn't seem to have?) are collected, and new players have difficulties getting started.

Harvesting cotton did not give me anything. It only turned the plant into a bare one. Harvesting wheat only gave me harvested wheat, no seeds.

The few houses I found on the server where of very good quality and nicely built, although small and few. They where just a bit too dark. More torches would have been good.

The modular door system is very well done. It might be worth offering that as a standalone mod.
Casimir wrote: Right click with a tool places the node that is right to the tool in your inventory. Useful for exploring caves with a pickaxe and torches.
That's a very good and useful feature.
Casimir wrote: Instead with modularity, polished mods and stairsplus it offers the freedom to be creative (creative like create not decorate). In fact, there are many mods you don't need because you can build the same using only a few nodes and your fantasy.
You do have a point there, and your buildings show that you have the necessary creativity. I personally like to have some nodebox-mods around as they allow me to build smaller than full-block. But it's certainly true that blocks that are too detailed limit creativity.
Casimir wrote: Good textures by default, forming an overall consisted style.
The textures look good. Would the server have been one where more consideration was placed on protection and multiplayer, some textures would indeed have been extremly inviting to build with. That papyrus root is a very nice one, and others also look very good. The game alltogether looks well.
Casimir wrote: Self planting saplings. No need to collect them. Forests will spred
Nice feature, but as most players will never get around cutting a tree down due to lack of tools, it's probably less relevant. The falling apples are good as well.

The highland pools also seem pretty nice. I think those ought to be part of the default game.

Torches that fell down after their stone has been digged seem to replant themshelves. That's nice!

The footprints are not too annoying.

Stack size seems to be reduced to 90. That's bad.

Alltogether, I think the game might work well as a basic game. There are certainly some very nice ideas and textures present, and it fits together. However, as a multiplayer server, it lacks a lot. Documentation is missing, spawn (servers are there in order to occasionally meet other players) and home commands are missing (perfect way of killing immersion if you've got to track coordinates in the upper part of the screen to find back somewhere). And without protection, all building is rather sooner than later utterly pointless.

It would be good if the server would get more advertisement (presence in server list, short description, more articles here) so that more players can take a look.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Thank you for the feedback, it is very helpful to read someone else view.

The rock thing seems to be a bigger problem then I expected. I'm trying to think of solutions to this, but haven't come up with something nice so far. Maybe add flint as in my stoneage mod, and replace rocks with flint_block that drops four flint and is crafted with four. As the rocks are a defining part of the game, every fix will include some bigger game changes. In general I want the player to be able to achieve their goals on different ways. The rock thing/getting stone tools is a bottleneck atm.

About cotton:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/1640
The modular door system is very well done. It might be worth offering that as a standalone mod.
Good Idea. I will do that.
The highland pools also seem pretty nice. I think those ought to be part of the default game.
Highlandpools slows down generation quite much. I want to keep the standard mapgen at least as fast as it is now.
Torches that fell down after their stone has been digged seem to replant themshelves. That's nice!
Also signs, rails and plants. In general all attached nodes.
Stack size seems to be reduced to 90. That's bad.
A stack of 99 seems to be chosen arbitrary. With middle click you can place 10 items and the craft gird has nine slots. So 90 is better for crafting (e.g. 90 papyrus --> 10 papyrus roots).

The server mainly is an experiment and won't last long anyway. I wanted to see the behavior of the subgame itself and therefor added only very few mods. When the server continuous then I will consider your suggestions. For now I enabled sethome on the server.
It would be good if the server would get more advertisement (presence in server list, short description, more articles here) so that more players can take a look.
I'm very very bad at advertising. And somehow the announcement to the serverlist is not working.

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Casimir wrote:Right click with a tool places the node that is right to the tool in your inventory. Useful for exploring caves with a pickaxe and torches.
YES! I miss this feature when I'm playing online and can't use it.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Casimir wrote: The rock thing seems to be a bigger problem then I expected. I'm trying to think of solutions to this, but haven't come up with something nice so far. Maybe add flint as in my stoneage mod, and replace rocks with flint_block that drops four flint and is crafted with four. As the rocks are a defining part of the game, every fix will include some bigger game changes. In general I want the player to be able to achieve their goals on different ways. The rock thing/getting stone tools is a bottleneck atm.
That's mostly a problem on multiplayer. RealTest shares this problem. At least it has a cheaper rock receipe so that long-time players can fill chests for the newcomers. What is mostly needed is documentation of there beeing rocks and them beeing necessary. A tiny picture plus a few lines in the game's introduction wouldn't hurt. On a server, set a fixed spawn point and put up signs like everybody else does.
Casimir wrote: Highlandpools slows down generation quite much. I want to keep the standard mapgen at least as fast as it is now.
Oh :-( They are a nice feature. Maybe they can be integrated into the rich nature of the plantlife modpack, if it's not included already?
Casimir wrote: A stack of 99 seems to be chosen arbitrary. With middle click you can place 10 items and the craft gird has nine slots. So 90 is better for crafting (e.g. 90 papyrus --> 10 papyrus roots).
Ah. So there was some consideration behind this. It looked at first a bit maliscious - like limiting the inventory so that players can carry less. If you want convenient gameplay, adding unified_inventory helps more than a stack size of 90 :-) With unified_inventory, you can copy the materials to the craft grid. And if you want to turn 9 of anything into 1 crafted result, splitting up 90 of them into the 9 fields isn't easier than doing so for 99.
Casimir wrote: For now I enabled sethome on the server.
That is good. Thank you!
Casimir wrote: I'm very very bad at advertising. And somehow the announcement to the serverlist is not working.
It seemed broken a few days ago but seems to work fine again.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

This sub-game appears to work fine in Freeminer. If the prospect interests you, would you be interested in posting this in that fork's forums?

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Krock wrote:Sorry, I can no longer test its compatibility with Freeminer, therefore I won't post something which (maybe) doesn't work.
Thanks for the interest.
Same applies to me.
Also doesn't the GPL licensing of Freeminer demand that subgames have to be GPL as well? Wasn't that the reason Minetest uses LGPL?

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

Well, even though I cannot use FM right now, I am still posting Lux_Solis. There might be errors, but it makes the satisfaction of seeing something work a whole lot greater... right?

Even if you are not, would you give me permission to test, fix and post Voxelgarden on FM forums as an FM version (provided the GPL issue is cleared up: http://forum.freeminer.org/threads/ques ... cense.213/ )?

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Of course you can.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

New things:
  • Use new drawtypes "firelike" and "glasslike_framed_optional" (screenshot).
  • Added bonfire (experimental).
  • Nyanrats now generate in the sky again.
  • Some textures tweaked (cracking now has one more crack).
  • New, leafdecay. This is very experimental. It respects the trunks of the leaves, so jungle leaves need jungel tree, conifer leaves need conifer tree and so on (leaves that have no trunk defined will use group:tree). It also is much faster because it uses less ABM but checks the surrounding leaves after one leaves node decayed. Feedback on this one would help me very much, because it is a very different behavior.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

I think that the new leafdecay idea is good. It will help a lot actually with game-play.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Nice to see some changes of mine also in other games :)
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Nice to see you noticing it.

There are now biomes for mapgen v7 and v5. But I'm not sure how to use them correctly. They are now based on simplev7 by MTDad. And somehow the conifers do not appear, and when they do only on the edge of the biome.
Also new stone, cobble, mossycobble and 2D player textures (by kilbith and cisoun).

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Post

Looking good Casmir. I like how there are more biomes with the fixed mg7 and revived mg5.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Code: Select all

20:54:11: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from 
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: /home/derek/.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/init.lua:
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: .../.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/stairsplus/registrations.lua:30: attempt to index local 'ndef' (a nil value)
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: 	.../.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/stairsplus/registrations.lua:30: in main chunk
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: 	/home/derek/.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/stairsplus/init.lua:43: in main chunk
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: 	/home/derek/.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/init.lua:22: in main chunk
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /home/derek/.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/init.lua
20:54:11: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run /home/derek/.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/init.lua
Voxelands hates moreblocks.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Casimir: check out my PlayerPlus mod which makes cactus hurt a player as well as some other effects...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10090

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Inocudom wrote:

Code: Select all

20:54:11: ERROR[main]: 	/home/derek/.freeminer/mods/moreblocks/init.lua:22: in main chunk
Voxelands hates moreblocks.
Well, I can't see anything about Voxelands in this error.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Inocudom wrote:Voxelands hates moreblocks.
Yes. Voxelands is totally incompatible with moreblocks, because Voxelands has no modding API. The subgame you are talking about is called Voxelgarden. I did not knew that they renamed, or planed to rename Minetest-classic while I renamed Nodetest.

But thank you for reporting this problem. I now included a sentence in the first post so others will know.
Voxelgarden is incompatible with moreblocks because the subgame already contains a version of stairsplus, while moreblocks has stairsplus included within itself in a strange way. Normally when you load a mod that is included in the subgame, your mod is loaded instead of the subgames one. When moreblocks would be a modpack that would include a mod called stairsplus there probably wouldn't be any problems. But moreblocks breaks with the standard way of naming global variables for mods, that is modname.functionname(). It uses stairsplus.functionname() while there exists no stairsplus when you use it together with minetest_game. When you use Voxelgarden moreblocks defines and uses function with the name of another mod.
Therefore I can not and will not fix this problem within this subgame.

You could, however, write a mod that adds the moreblocks nodes using the present stairplus functions without the need of defining them.

@ TenPlus1
Thank you. I already thought about including it, but I will have to take a closer look when I have more free time at hand.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

https://github.com/Jordach/big_freaking ... 476d7fd42a
Jordach found a solution to the IGNORE areas of mapgenv5 that might be useful to you somehow, for it turns those areas into blocks of air nodes. Maybe you could do something more creative for the Voxelgarden sub-game?