[Game] Minetest NeXt (discontinued) (part of minetest_game)

Games that have been abandoned and no longer work properly with the latest version of Minetest.
rubberduck
IRC: rbduck
In-game: rubberduck

Re: [Game] Minetest NeXt [minetest_next]

by rubberduck » Post

i really like this game.

i have some ideas what you can add too.

1. i don't know, if it is possible to disable the "prevent node inside player" feature.
i like the idea to make it possible to disable this feature, because this feature slows down making "towers" to get on high places

2. the ore-textures could be improved.
some time ago i made these textures here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8677
the default textures look very similar in some cases, that was one reason i made new ones.

3. i don't like these 2d torches
the 3d torches (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6099)
could (if you want) replace the old ones.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

rubberduck wrote: 1. i don't know, if it is possible to disable the "prevent node inside player" feature.
It's done in C++ and has no minetest.conf setting to be disabled.

You can modify your client, but that may be seen as cheating.

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

My son is having a lot of fun with minetest_next. But, being my boy, he's had to start messing with it already. :)
He figured out where the plant textures were and modified them so it was easier to tell when crops were ripe. And he hunted down the sign recipe and changed it to generate 6 signs instead of 1. He thought it was unreasonable that it took 6 3'x3' boards to make one small sign. :)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Kilarin wrote: He thought it was unreasonable that it took 6 3'x3' boards to make one small sign. :)
Very reasonable change :-) On most servers, you do get 4 signs for the receipe.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Another question about Minetest_next. On my mintest_game server I'm finding lava lakes quite frequently underground. But in my son's minetest_next game he's been mining a log, has exceeded a depth of over -700, and still hasn't hit a single lava lake.

Did you change the frequency of lava in mintest_next, or is this just random difference in two maps?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Kilarin wrote: has exceeded a depth of over -700, and still hasn't hit a single lava lake.
I don't know if minetest_next changes anything there, but it might as well be just bad luck. A way to quickly check for any sourrounding lava lakes is to grant yourshelf the noclip priv and then fly into the stone. Lava lakes and caves will become visible. It's convenient but may be considered cheating.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Sokomine wrote:A way to quickly check for any sourrounding lava lakes is to grant yourshelf the noclip priv and then fly into the stone.
Thank you for the suggestion. He did that, and found a lot of lava lakes. Apparently he had just managed to dig that far and not hit any yet. I dug an elevator shaft straight down in my world and hit about 5 lava lakes before I got to -1000. Random means RANDOM. :)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Kilarin wrote: Random means RANDOM. :)
He's not the first to stumble upon that :-) Happens to us all sooner or later. Random is sometimes strange :-)

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

Sorry, but i have an error here:

Code: Select all

11:49:25: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
11:49:25: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from 
11:49:25: ERROR[main]: D:\Program Files\minetest-0.4.9\bin\..\games\minetest_next\mods\farming\init.lua:
11:49:25: ERROR[main]: ...-0.4.9\bin\..\games\minetest_next\mods\farming/nodes.lua:1: attempt to call field 'override_item' (a nil value)
11:49:25: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
11:49:25: ERROR[main]: 	...-0.4.9\bin\..\games\minetest_next\mods\farming/nodes.lua:1: in main chunk
11:49:25: ERROR[main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
11:49:25: ERROR[main]: 	...t-0.4.9\bin\..\games\minetest_next\mods\farming\init.lua:7: in main chunk
11:49:25: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
11:49:25: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run D:\Program Files\minetest-0.4.9\bin\..\games\minetest_next\mods\farming\init.lua
11:49:25: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run D:\Program Files\minetest-0.4.9\bin\..\games\minetest_next\mods\farming\init.lua
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

You need to use a more recent minetest version (minetest.override_item was added after 0.4.9)

lotek
GitHub: LotekHeavy
IRC: lotek
In-game: lotek

by lotek » Post

Can't plant wheat seed on soil

I have "wheat seed", have "created" with a hoe "wet soil" and would like to plant it. But always it shows up for a few seconds and then it vanishes. I use this game (next) and also farming plus and food mode. But I see also no error log, not on server side or client side. If I play singleplayer with default game, I can plant/place the seed.

Any Idea what I can do? Could it be a bug in minetest_next?

Update: Other seeds with "farming plus" works. I use latest version from github & minetest client with daily builds (https://launchpad.net/~minetestdevs/+ar ... ily-builds).

Screenshot how it looks for a few miliseconds :-(

Message form the client:

20:51:20: INFO[main]: Ground right-clicked
20:51:20: VERBOSE[main]: Node placement prediction for farming:seed_wheat is farming:seed_wheat
20:51:20: INFO[main]: Client::addNode() took 2ms
20:51:20: INFO[main]: Pointing at [node under=-54,4,-69 above=-54,5,-69]
----
Mine Heavy
http://mine.heavy.ch

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

lotek wrote:Can't plant wheat seed on soil

I have "wheat seed", have "created" with a hoe "wet soil" and would like to plant it. But always it shows up for a few seconds and then it vanishes. I use this game (next) and also farming plus and food mode. But I see also no error log, not on server side or client side. If I play singleplayer with default game, I can plant/place the seed.

Any Idea what I can do? Could it be a bug in minetest_next?

Update: Other seeds with "farming plus" works. I use latest version from github & minetest client with daily builds (https://launchpad.net/~minetestdevs/+ar ... ily-builds).

Screenshot how it looks for a few miliseconds :-(

Message form the client:

20:51:20: INFO[main]: Ground right-clicked
20:51:20: VERBOSE[main]: Node placement prediction for farming:seed_wheat is farming:seed_wheat
20:51:20: INFO[main]: Client::addNode() took 2ms
20:51:20: INFO[main]: Pointing at [node under=-54,4,-69 above=-54,5,-69]
I'll try to reproduce that. If I experience the same, then it's my fault ^^

Edit: I tried planting wheat seeds on soil (wet/dry), and couldn't reproduce this. Maybe minetest_next (or better said: its farming mod), is incompatoble with farming_plus?

lotek
GitHub: LotekHeavy
IRC: lotek
In-game: lotek

by lotek » Post

OK i retestet this on a singleplayer local game. if running minetest next game together with the farming plus mod, it's not possible to plant / seed wheat. If running the farming plus mod with default game everything is working.

does anybody have an clue how to fix this? (I will also create a link from farming plus mod to here).
----
Mine Heavy
http://mine.heavy.ch

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

lotek wrote:OK i retestet this on a singleplayer local game. if running minetest next game together with the farming plus mod, it's not possible to plant / seed wheat. If running the farming plus mod with default game everything is working.

does anybody have an clue how to fix this? (I will also create a link from farming plus mod to here).

Its easy fixable in farming_plus. The bug appears because farming_plus calls farming:place_seed() which causes trouble with the new API of farming in NeXt. If his mod would use farming.place_seed() it works fine. Ask PilzAdam to fix it ;)

Achilles
In-game: Achilles

Re: [Game] Minetest NeXt (discontinued) (part of minetest_ga

by Achilles » Post

Amazing updates :) Congrats to all the contributors...

TNT is a bit of a nuisance tho...

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Achilles wrote:Amazing updates :) Congrats to all the contributors...

Properly tweaked, it isn't. The biggest problem currently is that it doesn't obey protection.

There are much better and quicker ways for griefers to grief, they don't need TNT for that. It's a cliché to say TNT is only for griefers.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

If I remember correctly, Achilles or possibly someone else said that their kids found the tnt and now their map looks like swiss cheese. :) I like tnt but prefer using my own personal version which doesn't destroy some of the blocks, as in some blocks are destroyed but don't drop in the original tnt.

Achilles

by Achilles » Post

Calinou wrote:
Achilles wrote:Amazing updates :) Congrats to all the contributors...

Properly tweaked, it isn't. The biggest problem currently is that it doesn't obey protection.

There are much better and quicker ways for griefers to grief, they don't need TNT for that. It's a cliché to say TNT is only for griefers.
I know, hopefully it will be fixed soon. Also maybe they will have an option so that fire is not produced when a TNT block goes off.

Achilles

by Achilles » Post

LionsDen wrote:If I remember correctly, Achilles or possibly someone else said that their kids found the tnt and now their map looks like swiss cheese. :) I like tnt but prefer using my own personal version which doesn't destroy some of the blocks, as in some blocks are destroyed but don't drop in the original tnt.
Lol, I dont think that was me :D

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

Achilles wrote:
LionsDen wrote:If I remember correctly, Achilles or possibly someone else said that their kids found the tnt and now their map looks like swiss cheese. :) I like tnt but prefer using my own personal version which doesn't destroy some of the blocks, as in some blocks are destroyed but don't drop in the original tnt.
Lol, I dont think that was me :D
Nope, after posting this I found the actual message and I believe the name was Exeter or something like that.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

LionsDen wrote:Nope, after posting this I found the actual message and I believe the name was Exeter or something like that.
Yeah... I posted the comment about TNT making our pretty map into Swiss Cheese. Didn't know TNT was in there when I upgraded the server. The kids found it had a blast (pun intended).

The resulting forest fires took care of everything else. Not a huge deal, in the end it's all just pixels and noise right? :)

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

I agree that tnt should be disabled by default as well, especially since it causes conflicts with tnt mods like bettertnt. When my friend updated his server to Mintest 0.4.10, all the sudden bettertnt stopped working entirely, just turning into lit, invincible blocks...

Just a slight suggestion. :)
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

Achilles

by Achilles » Post

ExeterDad wrote:
LionsDen wrote:Nope, after posting this I found the actual message and I believe the name was Exeter or something like that.
Yeah... I posted the comment about TNT making our pretty map into Swiss Cheese. Didn't know TNT was in there when I upgraded the server. The kids found it had a blast (pun intended).

The resulting forest fires took care of everything else. Not a huge deal, in the end it's all just pixels and noise right? :)
Nice way of looking at things XD

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Achilles wrote:
ExeterDad wrote:

Nice way of looking at things XD
Same thing could be said about our reality, if you really think about it. In the ultimate sense, it is very true for our real world too. It shares many similarities to a computer program.