Vote for games to be bundled with Minetest

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

Re: Vote for games to be bundled with Minetest

by Evergreen » Post

I also vote for "Tutorial" (yes, I already voted, but I think tutorial deserves it)
Back from the dead!

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

+1 For the tutorial game.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

TheEpicJames
IRC: TheEpicJames
In-game: Block_Guy
Location: Some grassy area next to a forest, a river and a desert.

by TheEpicJames » Post

Krock wrote:+1 For the tutorial game.
+1
I'm honestly not sure why I had "I like PIE." in my signature when I don't even really like it that much.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

@Dragonop:
Wuzzy wrote:
celeron55 wrote:
hoodedice wrote:I would go for Ethreal. It is different enough from MC to not appear as a ripoff, and it is pretty varied too
I agree that Ethereal is very nice. But this is not a subgame, it is a mod. So it doesn’t count.
+1 Tutorial.

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

I vote for Skytest!!!! This is, for me, the penultimate Minetest game!.

But, I also want to vote for Carbone, Dreambuilder, Etherial, and Tutorial. I think all of them add to Minetest in a positive way.

MaxPower

by MaxPower » Post

+1 Tutorial.

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

I vote for:
Overcraft Origins: because it offers much more rich content than minetest game (sorry Pilz...oops I mean Adam...;)).
RPi(or similar lightweght game): because it runs much faster on slow PCs and boosts FPS speeds.
Sky-Test: Because it offers unique gameplay.
I test mines.

solars

by solars » Post

I vote for Tutorial.
My big Minetest map Karsthafen: English thread / German thread / Youtube / German webpage

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

LNJ
GitHub: lnjX
IRC: LNJ
In-game: LNJ

by LNJ » Post

I think a Tutorial would be a very good change for the 0.5!
I vote for tutorial game and map!
Storage Drawers - The simplest item storage in Minetest

Dartmouth

by Dartmouth » Post

+1 for Tutorial, it's really good and fun to play as well

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

* bump *
So when do the games get bundled?
I test mines.

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

SAMIAMNOT wrote:* bump *
Maybe, next release?
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

srifqi wrote:
SAMIAMNOT wrote:* bump *
Maybe, next release?
Did the devs agree to bundle any additional games?
I test mines.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

I don't think that the devs are going to include any subgames anytime soon...

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

What we see mostly in that thread of games/subgames declared ready are - by comparison! - rather small/simple games that are variations of minetest_game. They're good games in their own way. Dreambuildier is kind of the opposite of them in size, and it might probably be best described as the "(almost) full game". I'm not sure about SkyTest as I havn't played that yet. The caverealms mod by the same author is very impressive.

Minetest_next already got transformed into minetest_game, so that is kind of bundled already.

Adding some of the other smaller subgames (Carbone, Nodetest, Tutorial, ..) ought to be no big deal. They're small, they're declared ready by their authors, and they're diffrent enough from each other.

Another small game that ought to be included is one of the skyblock games. Cornernote had one that was fun to play, had goals for players and was in itshelf pretty complete. The game is old by now and may require some slight modernization. Yet it may entertain new players a lot. The game can be found here.

On the long run, however, Ethereal, RealTest, AdventureTest, Lord of the Test and certainly Dreambuilder (that also covers Eden) are worth a lot as they create very diffrent, intresting worlds. Of those, only Dreambuilder was declared ready - and it certainly is well maintained and will be developed further. Ethereal is only a mod - sure - but it comes with a very nice, intresting and distinct assortment of biomes. It shows what can be done with Minetest. Add TenPlus1' MobsRedo and a couple of other mods that might fit and create a game similar to that run on the Xanandu server. RealTest needs a speedup regarding mapgen. AdventureTest is currently too difficult regarding crafting, but has lots of intresting concepts and may entertain the player a lot. Lord of the Test is also well done. Ah, and don't forget about Moontest or a variation thereof. Very nice and intresting landscape and gameplay concept. Wasteland and Weired may also be something.
A list of my mods can be found here.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

The main menu isn't quite ready, it needs to support subgame descriptions and screenshots. But that wouldn't be too hard. celeron55 suggests a rehaul of the main menu, where the first thing the player says is a collection of buttons with icons on them saying: "Join Multiplayer", "Minetest Game", "Carbone", "Tutorial", "Another game mode" etc.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

rubenwardy wrote: celeron55 suggests a rehaul of the main menu, where the first thing the player says is a collection of buttons with icons on them saying: "Join
Multiplayer", "Minetest Game", "Carbone", "Tutorial", "Another game mode" etc.
The general direction of "a few buttons to start with" instead of the current menu sounds fine. Adding the diffrent subgames to that page will be problematic as there can be quite a lot of diffrent subgames, and it would get confusing. I'm wishing for a start screen with buttons for what are now tabs - that is, "Join Multiplayer" (showing a group of MT characters), "Start singleplayer" (just one Sam), "Start my own server" (some MT characters, grouped and linked to a computer in the middle), Settings (the usual clockwork wheels), and credits. "Texture packs" and "Mods" become subsets of the settings menu. I think such a menu system might confuse new players far less and would be far more tablet friendly as well. "Start singleplayer" may then show the games available (Menu "Select game"), and after selecting one, "Create new world" and load buttons for existing worlds ought to be presented. The buttons for the existing worlds ought to show very low-res screenshots of what the player last saw in that world when playing it the last time. Servers might provide tiny screenshots so that they can be identified more easily as well. More experienced players could still switch to the old menu system. Those using tablets or phones might prefer the simplified menu system I'm suggesting.

Waiting a bit more until the menu system has been worked on might of course give game/subgame developers more time to finish their games.

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

I agree but would like to add that in the main menu there should be options to open mods (if, i.e. you downloaded them) so ypu dont have to click & drag the mods yourself.
I test mines.

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Unfortunately, there is no Minetest game that I can currently vote for right now. I imagine shall come back to this thread next year at best, but I'm subscribing it anyway because I'm interested.

The reason is that in my opinion, there is simply no good Minetest game yet. All games are part of one from two categories: Either they have a good appearance and consistent art style but are very simplistic, either a ton of nodes and mobs and features but disregard for good looks and artistic style. There are none that have both, at least not in a way I can consider balanced and appealing! The only one that slightly seems to have gotten close is Adventuretest, but it doesn't work with latest Minetest GIT apparently so I can't even test it.

I will be making a game of my own eventually, which will hopefully be here someday. But that will take a long time.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote: All games are part of one from two categories: Either they have a good appearance and consistent art style but are very simplistic, either a ton of nodes and mobs and features but disregard for good looks and artistic style. There are none that have both, at least not in a way I can consider balanced and appealing!
Guess that's just natural: As long as the game is not too complex, providing consistency and suitable textures is not as difficult as when it gets more features. There may be no way around that. Creating good textures is an art of its own.
MirceaKitsune wrote: The only one that slightly seems to have gotten close is Adventuretest, but it doesn't work with latest Minetest GIT apparently so I can't even test it.
AdventureTest is a very nice game, and I think it's one that provides a very distinct gameplay, entirely diffrent from other subgames. Hopefully BrandonReese will find time to work on it again so that it may be included.

Apart from that - did you take a look at my modification to Cornernotes skyblock? Most of it are fixes so that it runs with recent default from minetest_game (it takes the nodes from that), but there are two new levels now as well. I'd certainly welcome a test and feedback! Skyblock is a game which already works pretty well.

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Overcraft is a personal favorite of mine (although I mostly use mods and multiplayer) and I hear BFD (Big Freaking Dig) is REALLY popular.
I test mines.

Diamond knight
GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

by Diamond knight » Post

realtest

also about the new menu, i think that making a server should be made less complicated, like so easy a noob could do it

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Totally! But thats something to post under "wishes for Minetest."
I test mines.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

TUTORIAL. We need it.
It shouldn't be a real subgame but a special feature with a special way to run : the world is always set to the castle.

I've tried to improve this functioning, and I've… forgotten to finish !!!

Second vote : difficult to choose, because there isn't a subgame that appears to be way better than others. They all have their flaws.
I would say Dreambuilder, but not from far.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.