[Game] Adventuretest

Mugnoz
In-game: Mugnoz

Re: [Game] Adventuretest [Alpha]

by Mugnoz » Post

ExeterDad wrote:@Mugnoz
get_data has only just recently been added to minetest in dev. Your minetest is too old to run this. Update to latest git or wait until 0.4.13 is released.
HTH
Thanks than I waiting for new release...

Mugnoz

by Mugnoz » Post

Sokomine wrote: ... Life is very hard for new players - hunger is very high, stamina extremly low at the beginning (seems like you can't walk for 5 meters without taking a nap - no way to make it through the day), tools weak and extremly short-lasting (thus making the mobs even stronger).
I agree with you, yesterday I try to help a bit a new player just entered but he left shortly because do not like the server due to frequently death and stamina lack... perhaps it needs a better balance the difference from "base game" are hard to manage for new players.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

I still have a lot of balancing to do. It's still under heavy development. I'm trying to focus on content right now then I'll do some balancing then more content. If I finish the dungeons I will push an update tonight that will include Sokomine's updates to villages.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

I pushed a couple of updates last night.

- New dungeons are now populated with goblins and if it's a large enough dungeon it will have a chest full of treasure and a dungeon master guarding the treasure. Goblins are pretty weak but can overwhelm you with their numbers for be cautious. Dungeons don't repopulate and chests don't refill with treasure. Some of the close quarters made it hard to place spawn blocks plus if the dungeons repopulate you could find yourself fighting a never ending horde of goblins.

- I updated mg_villages and cottages with Sokomine's changes. I have not updated the potions yet so you can grind flowers and bones in the new handmill, I'll probably do that today.

- Adjusted the stamina formula so you don't lose as much energy for moving horizontal but you lose a little more energy for vertical movements. When you are exhausted you also don't slow down as much so the main penalty for exhaustion is losing HP if you don't stop and rest.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Made a quick and dirty video of the dungeons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it53TUYMw4s

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Post

I'm relatively new to minetest, and I would like to say that this is the best mod I've tries so far.

The experience system is quite original and interesting. I spawned at the start right inside of a village, so I scavenged a lot of stuff and I regularly get a fair share of experience points by going out killing mobs at night.

Though I gotta admit the progression is quite slow. Specially after I started mining more and fighting less.

It's not clear to me how to use magic. I wouldn't even have noticed there's magic available if it wasn't for the section in the experience and the magic bar.

I'm just playing in singleplayer right now, though. Is there an available adventuretest server?
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Thank you very much. I'm glad you are enjoying Adventuretest.

Magic is one of the areas that hasn't been developed much yet. There is the /cast command which has two spells. /cast heal <optional target> which heals the caster or the target if one is specified. And /cast thunder which does damage to all entities around the player. The size of the area around the player that is affected depends on your level of the magic skill. There is also a Magic Missile wand that shoots magic fireballs. It isn't craftable at the moment, but there is a chance you can find one in a dungeon.

You get experience for mining ores and I'm going to add experience for mining other materials and for building. Something like for every 100 blocks you mine you'll get a certain number of experience, same with building.

There is an adventuretest server setup for testing (minetest.bremaweb.com port 31000). I plan on setting up an official server once more of the game is developed.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

I just pushed an update that keeps track of some player stats (number of nodes dug and replaced, deaths, travel distance, etc...). It also gives experience for digging and placing nodes. Every 100 nodes you place or dig you will get experience and the more you have placed the more experience you will get (e.g 100 nodes 5 exp, 200 nodes 10 exp, 300 nodes 15 exp)

Mugnoz

by Mugnoz » Post

BrandonReese wrote:I just pushed an update that keeps track of some player stats (number of nodes dug and replaced, deaths, travel distance, etc...). It also gives experience for digging and placing nodes. Every 100 nodes you place or dig you will get experience and the more you have placed the more experience you will get (e.g 100 nodes 5 exp, 200 nodes 10 exp, 300 nodes 15 exp)
Hi Brandon, wonderful, now get experience is faster for miners and game is more rewarding.

I want to help reporting some little things on server:

- when use experience point to level up a skill often there is a very little waste of point (2-4 max) every level, is by design or a glitch?

- I've experienced some (very rare) crush randomly with "internal server error" message when game lag a bit and go slower, restart before error resolve but i'm now using version 0.4.13 RC so could be 'normal'..?

- The workbench lost all items if you exit from workbench screen without take crafted item. Also this is by design?

For the rest the game is stable and very enjoyable the best i've tried, compliments for the great job.

swordpaint12
In-game: [swordpaint12][Belching_Balladeer]

by swordpaint12 » Post

Okay, so I have a few questions. First, in the adventuretest mod's register_functions.lua, I had to delete default.player_globalstep(dtime) and default.leaf_globalstep(dtime) because of an error. Was this the right step? At first I deleted hunger.global_step(dtime) but that caused it to crash when I got hungry(it opened up just fine after deleting that), so I replaced it and I then edited hunger.global_step(dtime) so that it read hunger_globalstep(dtime). At first the error said that global_step was a nil value, then that hunger_globalstep was a nil value. A little help with that?

Also, I was looking at the mods list and I opened up the mg_villages mod. I copied and pasted that file as a whole into my minetest mods file. I opened up dependencies and I saw handle_schematics. What is this? Is it possible to download? Was I right to paste it in my minetest mods folder?

Furthermore, the few times I managed to get adventuretest to work for me the terrain around the villages I spawned in was very eratic with very few trees neerby and most commonly laden with snow. Is it usual to spawn in villages and to have very 'nearly unusable' terrain around the village?

Thank you!
God's not dead; remember that!
Yay for MT! No MC here!
I am a human. I'm younger than 100 years old.
I've been playing Minetest since December 2014.

I'm amazed that I haven't been on here in so long! My latest minetest accomplishment was mining by hand (well, as close as you can get in a computer game) a circle 30 blocks in diameter. It took forever but it's pretty cool.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

swordpaint12 wrote: Also, I was looking at the mods list and I opened up the mg_villages mod. I copied and pasted that file as a whole into my minetest mods file. I opened up dependencies and I saw handle_schematics. What is this? Is it possible to download? Was I right to paste it in my minetest mods folder?
handle_schematics is needed by mg_villages. It reads the schematic files that contain the blueprints of the houses and helps placing them into the world. I havn't opened a thread for the mod yet (guess I ought to soon). You can find it at https://github.com/Sokomine/handle_schematics
swordpaint12 wrote: Furthermore, the few times I managed to get adventuretest to work for me the terrain around the villages I spawned in was very eratic with very few trees neerby and most commonly laden with snow. Is it usual to spawn in villages and to have very 'nearly unusable' terrain around the village?
Some villages get snow for the entire village area. If you don't want that at all, you can set mg_villages.artificial_snow_probability = nil in mg_villages/config.lua. The terrain around the villages depends on the village type. Medieval villages grow wheat; villages with houses built by Taoki grow cotton; other villages have to cope with some grass around. Trees are placed randomly. The villagers like it like this :-). And yes, when you first start a game, you'll spawn inside a village. In AdventureTest, that's a pretty safe place as the villagers will defend you against mobs. The trees mg_villages places in and around the villages are currently a problem - they attract spiders, and those are pretty strong and numerous. I plan to change the leaves in villages to a special node so that they won't attract spiders anymore. But that comes with some needed rewriting of the tree-placing code and requires some talking to minetest_game devs (in this case, paramat and Shadowninja) as I don't want to keep a copy of the tree code forever...
A list of my mods can be found here.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

swordpaint12 wrote:Okay, so I have a few questions. First, in the adventuretest mod's register_functions.lua, I had to delete default.player_globalstep(dtime) and default.leaf_globalstep(dtime) because of an error. Was this the right step? At first I deleted hunger.global_step(dtime) but that caused it to crash when I got hungry(it opened up just fine after deleting that), so I replaced it and I then edited hunger.global_step(dtime) so that it read hunger_globalstep(dtime). At first the error said that global_step was a nil value, then that hunger_globalstep was a nil value. A little help with that?
You shouldn't have to edit the game at all to get it to work. Did you put the adventuretest files in the games folder or in the mods folder? Are you using the latest version of Minetest 0.4.13?

swordpaint12

by swordpaint12 » Post

Thanks Sokomine. The village thing makes sense. I just wasn't sure if that was supposed to happen.

I use 4.12. I put it in the games folder. I was able to play adventuretest once, then when I tried to reopen the world it gave me errors. I reinstalled once. Should I try that again?
Yay for MT! No MC here!

I'm amazed that I haven't been on here in so long! My latest minetest accomplishment was mining by hand (well, as close as you can get in a computer game) a circle 30 blocks in diameter. It took forever but it's pretty cool.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

That's pretty strange. I would delete it from the games folder, download it again and try it. Also start with a brand new world if you can.

FreeLikeGNU
GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

BrandonReese wrote:I pushed a couple of updates last night.

- New dungeons are now populated with goblins and if it's a large enough dungeon it will have a chest full of treasure and a dungeon master guarding the treasure. Goblins are pretty weak but can overwhelm you with their numbers for be cautious. Dungeons don't repopulate and chests don't refill with treasure. Some of the close quarters made it hard to place spawn blocks plus if the dungeons repopulate you could find yourself fighting a never ending horde of goblins.
Cool! ^^

swordpaint12

by swordpaint12 » Post

BrandonReese wrote:That's pretty strange. I would delete it from the games folder, download it again and try it. Also start with a brand new world if you can.
I tried several new worlds. I reinstalled a second time. Last night I downloaded 4.13 and today I started up adventuretest on there... and it worked! Thank you very much for your help.
Yay for MT! No MC here!

Samson1
GitHub: MoJo4000
IRC: Samson1
In-game: Samson1

by Samson1 » Post

I need the mob villages from this mod but I don't know how to remove the other mobs! Could some one help?

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Samson1 wrote:I need the mob villages from this mod but I don't know how to remove the other mobs! Could some one help?
You're going to have a hard time taking mods from this game and using them standalone because a lot of things are closely tied together. If you want to remove some of the mobs edit "mobs/init.lua" and delete the "dofile" lines for the mobs you don't want.

swordpaint12

by swordpaint12 » Post

Does this subgame support philipbenr's castle++ mod?
Yay for MT! No MC here!

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

I'm not sure what all Castles++ does. If it just adds new nodes that should be fine. Most likely you won't have a problem installing it alongside Adventuretest

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

I'm 99% sure it will work. Unless Brandon here changed default around... Also, VanessaE just pull requested in some support for default straw, so, might want to think a bit... crafting could be off.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

philipbenr wrote:I'm 99% sure it will work. Unless Brandon here changed default around... Also, VanessaE just pull requested in some support for default straw, so, might want to think a bit... crafting could be off.
Default has been changed around a little bit. It's based off of an older version of default so it's possible there will be issues. I don't think I have default straw, supporting cottages:straw along side default straw might not be a bad idea.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

BrandonReese wrote: supporting cottages:straw along side default straw might not be a bad idea.
Yes, that's a bit of a problem. Cottages has it, Darkage has it, Castles has it, default has it...but there's no guarantee that all these mods are installed. RealTest doesn't have straw to my knowledge. Yet all these duplicate nodes are a bit too much straw. Aliases don't always work as desired. If anyone has a good idea, please tell me.
A list of my mods can be found here.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

Sokomine wrote:
BrandonReese wrote: supporting cottages:straw along side default straw might not be a bad idea.
Yes, that's a bit of a problem. Cottages has it, Darkage has it, Castles has it, default has it...but there's no guarantee that all these mods are installed. RealTest doesn't have straw to my knowledge. Yet all these duplicate nodes are a bit too much straw. Aliases don't always work as desired. If anyone has a good idea, please tell me.
remove the additional straw and use only default straw.
then add more crafting recipes to default straw (like grass).
this way you get all the different methods to make straw blocks, but they will all be the same block.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

TuxerP

by TuxerP » Post

I want to run adventuretest as a second minetest service on my minetest service. Having carbone-ng running on port 30000 with worldname "world" I created a second service with, but I keeps using the default worldname "world". Minetest is running on a headless ubuntu linux server with systemd. Setting the world path in the minetest.conf or defining a different worldname on the command line does not create a different world directory in my .minetest/world directory. Anyone any idea how I can solve this? I think adventuretest is a great subgame and would like to test it very much.