IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

Re: [Game] Adventuretest [Alpha]

by BrandonReese » Post

Update

Added blood spatter when players are hit
Added weapon sounds when players are hit
Added auto wake when player is punched while sleeping

This requires this pull request https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/1307 but the game will still work without it, these new features just won't work without it.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Some of the points I mentioned earlier (iron/steel too difficult to get, chests beeing emptied) only apply to the game running as a multiplayer server. In singleplayer mode, locked chests are not needed. And the game may have a lot of strengths in that area.

Players tire a bit too soon. After all this is about exploration, about beeing an adventurer - those tend to travel around. That's difficult if they sleep in and barely manage to make it to the villages' pub :-) Would it be possible to let players tire more when fighting/using magic/running, but less from walking around? And sleeping/sitting ought to be shorter. Renting a bed in a hotel or taking a drink/eating at the pub ought to be more refreshing than sitting on the floor somewhere randomly.

It might also be intresting to let the villagers reward players who help them against monsters. Killing a mob out in the woods might be all fine and good, but villagers watching you doing it (and thus saving them) might be willing to give a reward :-) In the end, items could be aquired through trading with the villagers.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb

by BrandonReese » Post

Sokomine wrote:Some of the points I mentioned earlier (iron/steel too difficult to get, chests beeing emptied) only apply to the game running as a multiplayer server. In singleplayer mode, locked chests are not needed. And the game may have a lot of strengths in that area.

Players tire a bit too soon. After all this is about exploration, about beeing an adventurer - those tend to travel around. That's difficult if they sleep in and barely manage to make it to the villages' pub :-) Would it be possible to let players tire more when fighting/using magic/running, but less from walking around? And sleeping/sitting ought to be shorter. Renting a bed in a hotel or taking a drink/eating at the pub ought to be more refreshing than sitting on the floor somewhere randomly.

It might also be intresting to let the villagers reward players who help them against monsters. Killing a mob out in the woods might be all fine and good, but villagers watching you doing it (and thus saving them) might be willing to give a reward :-) In the end, items could be aquired through trading with the villagers.
I am adjusting the energy formula so less energy will be used when moving around and energy will be used when fighting or using magic. I also adjusted the energy formula so the higher level you are the faster your energy regenerates.

I like your idea about villagers rewarding you for killing mobs. To make it simple I think when a mob is killed it will check for NPCs in a nearby radius and they will throw experience or other items at you.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

I found out how to loose my complete inventory :-D

All you have to do is die several times in series without moving or so it seems, like going afk and letting the avatar starve. On rereading this I am not quite sure how this works though. Maybe I was robbed after all? Hm, might investigate further.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

twoelk wrote: All you have to do is die several times in series without moving or so it seems, like going afk and letting the avatar starve.
Happened to me as well. I think the bones just appear and replace whatever was there in the first place.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

I'm aware of that bug, it's happened to me several times. I'll fix it later today. The bug probably exists in the default bones mod since that is what my bones are based off of.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Updates:

Added a Treasure hunt quest. Find the explorer (there should probably be at least one in each newly generated village). He's the old guy holding a pick axe. Right click on him and he will give you a general area where the treasure can be found.

Removed the mobs submodule so if you are using git you may need to remove the mobs folder before pulling the updates. Mobs is just another folder in the game.

Took all of the mobs out of the init.lua file and organized them in folders and files of their own.

Fixed all of the female npcs having the same skin

Added food and farming plus

Various other changes

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Fixed the bones replacing bones bug when dying in the same place

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Added Lantern mod viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8718

Nii
In-game: Nii

by Nii » Post

It says "ModError: Failed to load and run
/usr/share/minetest/games/adventuretest-master/mods/food/init.lua"

How can I fix it?

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Nii wrote:It says "ModError: Failed to load and run

How can I fix it?
Can you copy and paste the last 20 lines of your bin/debug.txt file?

Nii

by Nii » Post

BrandonReese wrote:
Nii wrote:It says "ModError: Failed to load and run

How can I fix it?
Can you copy and paste the last 20 lines of your bin/debug.txt file?
20:41:53: ERROR[main]: File /home/nii/.minetest/worlds/Adventure/magic not found, returning empty table
Cast spell good
20:41:53: ACTION[main]: Registered spell Thunder Strike
wand spell good
20:41:53: ACTION[main]: Registered spell Magic Missle
Cast spell good
20:41:53: ACTION[main]: Registered spell Heal
20:41:53: ERROR[main]: File /home/nii/.minetest/worlds/Adventure/stamina not found, returning empty table
20:41:53: ACTION[main]: Registering affect: Exhaustion
Food Mod - Version 2.2
20:41:53: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
20:41:53: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
20:41:53: ERROR[main]: /usr/share/minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua:
20:41:53: ERROR[main]: ...hare/minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua:54: attempt to call field 'override_item' (a nil value)
20:41:53: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
20:41:53: ERROR[main]: ...hare/minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua:54: in function 'support'
20:41:53: ERROR[main]: ...hare/minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua:147: in main chunk
20:41:53: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
20:41:53: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /usr/share/minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua
20:41:53: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run /usr/share/minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/food/init.lua

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Are you running the latest dev version of minetest?

Nii

by Nii » Post

BrandonReese wrote:Are you running the latest dev version of minetest?
Sorry for a noob question, but how can I get the dev version?

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Depends on your OS:

If Windows then look at the topics at the top of this forum:
viewforum.php?f=3
They are called things like "Fess’s Minetest win64 builds with GetText,cURL,TTF,LuaJIT and LevelDB " or "sfan5's Windows builds: 32-bit & 64-bit, LevelDB, LuaJIT " find and download the latest version of whichever you chose (64 bit if you have a 64 bit computer. duh)
I suggest sfan5's builds. They have always worked for me. And he has 7z's availiable:
http://sfan5.pf-control.de/minetest-builds/?f
If you don't have/want 7z, then take BlockMen's:
viewtopic.php?p=141851#p141851

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

If you have a Mac, then you'll want "Morn76's Minetest OS X Mavericks builds"
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9190

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

If you do have Linux download the core:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/archive/master.zip

Unzip it, and follow these instructions to compile it:
http://dev.minetest.net/Compiling_Minetest

If you want minetest_game (rather nice to have...) download it here:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... master.zip

“There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question.”

I kinda like that quote... Why are forums here? Why do we help people? 'Cause we welcome newcomers and everybody that will come here. ;) Anyhow, welcome to Minetest, Nii.

Nii

by Nii » Post

Yay! thanks It finally works.
btw I use linux

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Cool. Another Linux user!

;) Glad it works.

have fun.

Excalibur Zero
GitHub: ExcaliburZero

by Excalibur Zero » Post

Is there a way to turn off stamina? I occasionally have problems with it when I teleport across large distances.

kopy
In-game: kopy

by kopy » Post

i played minetest for a while and felt that mobs are missing.

Thanks ! :)

AMMOnym
IRC: AMMOnym
In-game: AMMOnym

by AMMOnym » Post

This game is awesome. Could you add dragons ?

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

AMMOnym wrote:This game is awesome. Could you add dragons ?
I would love to add dragons. I found a voxel dragon model (I think it's a copy of Minecraft's ender dragon) but it's not animated. I am familiar with the concepts of animating with blender but I don't have the time to learn it and do it.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

It's been a while since I've put out an update. I did some work over the last week and this weekend and here are the changes:

Added immortal priv.
With this priv you aren't affected by energy, when you die you don't lose your stuff or respawn, You aren't affected by hunger. This would be a priv for moderators, administrators, and quest builders.

Added Rabbits (Aspiremint's rabbit model)
Added Cottages Mod (I believe this is Sokomine's mod)
Added schematics from Sokomine's Random Buildings mod to the villages. This makes villages less uniform and orderly looking, which I think is a more realistic look. I plan on adding more building schematics in the future.

Added mob spawning blocks.
There is no crafting recipe. Use /giveme mobs:spawner.
These can only be configured by someone with the immortal priv.
Right click on a mob spawner to configure it
You can enter the name for the mob entity (e.g. mobs:sheep, mobs:dirt_monster, etc...) or you can enter one of the 4 mob types (npc, animal, monster, barbarian) and it will pop out a random mob from that type.
The Active Objects and Active Objects Wider is the count of entities in the area. If there are more entities than the numbers you enter for these values in the area a new mob won't be spawned. If you enter 0 for these values it will always spawn a new entity
Mob spawners are automatically added to villages so they should repopulate if all of the people are killed or mysteriously disappear.
Mob spawners that spawn mobs in solid blocks are automatically removed
Punch the mob spawner to force it to spawn a mob. Punching doesn't obey the Active Object counts.

Added torches to a few of the original building schematics

AMMOnym
IRC: AMMOnym
In-game: AMMOnym

by AMMOnym » Post

I think that this game is like SkyrimCraft a little bit.

Brockenflabel

by Brockenflabel » Post

I really like this Build and I'm not getting any lag either or terrain constantly being
redrawn.

My only complaint is that it doesn't save my character? I have to start from scratch every time I play? Is this a bug? Also I can't craft any armor, but seem to able
to craft other things. It saves the map, but not the character, so when I exit or die
I come back to same map and it saves whatever is in my chests. Also I have
a problem with once I die or quit about four times, my walking speed becomes
permanently slower. But I found a temporary fix. I went into Worlds, single player
and noticed a file called physics. It starts out at Speed=1 but then after about 4
quits or dies, for some reason it changes to 0.4? So all I did was reset it to 1.

After playing for awhile my npc friendly village is overcrowding? I can barely reach
the chests now. I changed the mobs/api.lua interval from 30 to 500? Will that help?

Also I tried other compiled versions with this Adventuretest but they won't work except
Blockman. The other compiled ones give an error /food mod.

Two more things that would be helpful;
--a listing of all F10 / commands you can use.
--a listing of all items you can craft in this build.

I'm using Blockman dev20140627
thanks.
Last edited by Brockenflabel on Sat Jul 05, 2014 00:15, edited 3 times in total.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

I would also like to know how to use the magic system. I have 2 points in magic but haven't seen or found anything to let me know what to do with it.