[Game] Adventuretest

timsoft
GitHub: timsoftgit

Re: [Game] Adventuretest

by timsoft » Post

is there an easy way to turn off the "blood effects" when being injured? thanks.

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

another question. One of the tasks is to get a bowl and flour (for a friendly npc woman villager). I have collected the two items. how am I supposed to give them to her?
I have tried discarding them (press "Q") but apart from loosing the items it doesn't appear to work and the task remains the same and there is no reward.
I have googled but nothing came up. thanks.

timsoft

Re: [Game] Adventuretest - patch

by timsoft » Post

to answer my own question, for the benefit of others. To turn off blood effects, coment out the blood_particles line in player.lua and also the first occurence of it in api.lua for mobs, Alternatively, edit the /mods/mobs./textures/mobs_blood.png and make it blue instead of red, then the damage is crying instead of blood splatters.

Also for the bowl and flour quest/task, there is a bug in chest.lua which did not detect my flour. the fix is replace lines 6 and 7 of mods/quests/chest.lua with below.

Code: Select all

if (inv:contains_item("main","farming_plus:flour") or inv:contains_item("main","food:flour")) and inv:contains_item("main","food:bowl") then
    if inv:contains_item("main","farming_plus:flour") then 
      inv:remove_item("main","farming_plus:flour")
    else  
      inv:remove_item("main","food:flour")
    end
this allows for the flour that I had as well as the other flour.

timsoft

Re: [Game] Adventuretest another patch

by timsoft » Post

you get crashes if mobs are directly below,( or above) you. the following patch seems to fix it (it removes a division by zero issue which returns nan for yaw.)
in mods/mobs/api.lua (1 place) and mods/mobs/step.lua (3 places) the line

local yaw=math.atan(vec.z/vec.x)+math.pi/2
needs to be replaced with the following lines

local yaw = 0
	if vec.x ~= 0 then
	  yaw=math.atan(vec.z/vec.x)+math.pi/2
	else
	  if vec.z>0 then
	    yaw=math.pi
	  end    
	end 
this makes sure division by zero does not happen.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I'm glad you're enjoying this game and providing fixes for its bugs. IMHO AdventureTest is a very nice game and could entertain a lot of players. It's one of the most entertaining subgames. I wish BrandonReese would have the time to continue working on it.

The TerraQuest server has reappeared on the server list. Anyone who wants to try out this adventure game can try online again :-) But beware: Survival is difficult. And I'm not sure in how far the quests can be completed. I gave up after beeing given the task of walking a too long distance to the next mount meru. At least my houses for tired travellers are still standing.
A list of my mods can be found here.

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

yes, hopefully brandon still checks this forum and will add the patches. adventuretest is a bit of fun and the villages look great. it would be nice to have different tasks for the female npc, that would need extra data saved (items to collect), like for the chests quests.
brendan may have already implemented all this on the terraquest server, i don't know, but unfortunately I have limited internet over satellite so I can't play on-line versions, I just play singleplayer or on my lan., so I can only play and do patches from downloadable versions of the game, preferably zip versions, as although I dual boot win/linux, zip is easier for windows.

MihalyK
IRC: Voronwe

by MihalyK » Post

Just to add - perhaps somewhat inadvertantly - my experience with the game (running just as singleplayer) there are a lot of things to like about this, but I am not sure I am going about this the right way.
I have found that on the 0.4.16 MineTest, it did load fine. I ran into a problem with a LUA error, I am not competent enough to go through exactly what it means, I suppose it could be simply because an error has something to do with how the mod works
I treid completly over with the newest 0.4.17 version, but still ran into the error. I did eventually get a world up and running, and found the gameplay intersting, but frustrating, and eventually had to implement the various admin privs just to advance to a point where it felt like I was getting the sense of what this mod can acheive.
The basic issue I still have, and am not sure where it originates (ie whether it is this mod, or something else) but some of the villages I come into contact with are immediately antagonistic.
Hence I die, I have no idea what or how I have angered these people, but they just run madly at me and kill me and I just don't have any idea why.

Still, I can see that this would be a pretty neat mod to incorporate some gameplay into the basic minetest game - villages are really great, quests appear to be a neat addition (though for some reason in my case, after bringing flour and bowl to the first quest and recieving a nice return, the quests from the explorer always seem to refer to something 15,000 or greater in diagonal which is sort of at odds with the quest being "nearby" and so it's rather overly challenging.
The mods may still require more work, so if there is anything specific I can help out with, I'd like to try to assist, but I'm more about playing than programming, so I don't know quite what o do.
Anyway, thank you for the mod
Should I be using a "pre-0.4.15" version for happier results?
cheers.
Mihaly

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

the lua issue is an lua issue:-). if using windows, try the 32bit version of minetest, if linux try the 64bit version. when lua gets fixed, the problem will be resolved.
Regarding the villagers attacking. the odds are 50/50 whether you get a friendly village, or a village full of barbarians. You can tell from a distance because the friendly ones will usually have a old miner and female villager with question marks over their heads (tasks), and the appearance of barbarians is different from friendly villagers.
the only thing I miss (apart from more tasks/quests) is a bigger inventory. I'm never able to carry enough!

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

Sokomine I'm super curious at what updates Terraquest has over the git. I think this was possibly my favorite minetest subgame, maybe we can help keep it alive.
Become A Real Life Superhero - http://SuperheroHill.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

MihalyK wrote: the quests from the explorer always seem to refer to something 15,000 or greater in diagonal which is sort of at odds with the quest being "nearby"
Just ignore the explorer and his quest. The treasure chest he talks about may even be missing (there had been some bugs regarding that). Travelling in AdventureTest takes a long time due to the character getting tired, having to eat, hostile mobs attacking, /home not working outside a very limited range, no /spawn command and so on. I don't think it's really worth going on the treasure hunt.
TheReaperKing wrote: Sokomine I'm super curious at what updates Terraquest has over the git. I think this was possibly my favorite minetest subgame, maybe we can help keep it alive.
That would be great. I just see no way without BrandonReese. Hopefully he'll upload his new developments to Github. He seems to work on AdventureTest with long periods inbetween with inactivity (not quite unlike my own work sometimes...).

DFeniks
In-game: DFeniks Dfeniks

by DFeniks » Post

Tried to run it on Android minetest 5.0.0 , got this error :

2020-01-07 10:02:07: ACTION[Emerge-0]: Dungeon generated
2020-01-07 10:02:08: WARNING[Server]: ServerEnv: Trying to store id = 0 statically but block (15,-7,-27) already contains 20 objects.
2020-01-07 10:02:08: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenRuntime error from mod 'default' in callback item_OnPlace(): ...enturetest/mods/adventuretest/register_functions.lua:101: attempt to index local 'placer' (a nil value)
2020-01-07 10:02:08: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2020-01-07 10:02:08: ERROR[Main]: 	...enturetest/mods/adventuretest/register_functions.lua:101: in function 'callback'
2020-01-07 10:02:08: ERROR[Main]: 	/storage/7CD7-8F26/Minetest/builtin/game/item.lua:396: in function </storage/7CD7-8F26/Minetest/builtin/game/item.lua:264>
2020-01-07 10:02:08: ERROR[Main]: 	(tail call): ?
2020-01-07 10:02:08: ERROR[Main]: 	(tail call): ?
2020-01-07 10:02:08: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'place_node'
2020-01-07 10:02:08: ERROR[Main]: 	...26/Minetest/games/adventuretest/mods/mg/dungeons.lua:161: in function '?'
2020-01-07 10:02:08: ERROR[Main]: 	...storage/7CD7-8F26/Minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:419: in function <...storage/7CD7-8F26/Minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:399>
2020-01-07 10:02:08: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down

Any thoughts how to repair this? Should i define this 'placer' somehow?

Also player model was sinking in ground to waist , i repaired it by placing newer character.b3d file and another b3d from newer 3d armor mod and changing few lines in default and 3d armor mod, havent met villagers yet so i dont know if they need replacement too, thus far i only encountered Yetis.

Tignasse Verte

by Tignasse Verte » Post

DFeniks wrote: 2020-01-07 10:02:08: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenRuntime error from mod 'default' in callback item_OnPlace(): ...enturetest/mods/adventuretest/register_functions.lua:101: attempt to index local 'placer' (a nil value)
I use minetest 5.1.0 on Windows. I got the same error.

Reason on server-side :
Here are the changes made on server-side, concerning item_OnPlace, for the 5.X.X :
https://dev.minetest.net/Changelog,
0.4.16 → 5.0.0 , Released March 4th 2019 / Server-side / User interface / Items
Set placer to nil instead of a non-functional one in item_OnPlace (DTA7)
Here is why, you may have a nil placer. One issue had been logged :
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/6487
place_node crashes the game because of nil player #6487
Here is the commit corresponding :
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... 7b71e0ce6c
Add nil checks for placer #1907
Reason in the mod :
For Adventure Test, in dungeons.lua, you have line 33 a minetest.register_on_generated(), in it, you have, line 161, a call of minetest.place_node().

In register_functions.lua, you have a minetest.register_on_placenode(adventuretest_placenode), so the call of place_node() redirect to adventuretest_placenode().
In the commit, I have found an example of change (a nil check) that can be done in adventuretest_placenode().

What to do :
Go to :
games\adventuretest\mods\adventuretest
There, change the file :
register_functions.lua

replace the line 101 (if placer:is_player() then) with :

if placer and placer:is_player() then

I have done it, and now I have not experienced the same crash (but I may have not waited enough)

Tignasse Verte

by Tignasse Verte » Post

Still in https://dev.minetest.net/Changelog :
0.4.16 → 5.0.0 :
nodeupdate() was removed. Fix: replace with minetest.check_for_falling.
In Adventuretest I have found 2 calls of nodeupdate() (may be there is more).
When it have been called, I got a crash :
AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'default' in callback LuaABM::trigger(): ...32\bin\..\games\adventuretest\mods\default/functions.lua:385: attempt to call global 'nodeupdate' (a nil value)

What to do :
Change the file
games\adventuretest\mods\default\functions.lua
replace the line 385 (nodeupdate(p0)) with :

minetest.check_for_falling(p0)
Then, change the file
games\adventuretest\mods\doors\init.lua
replace the line 374 with :

minetest.check_for_falling({x = pos.x, y = pos.y + 1, z = pos.z})

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

Game won't load, error messages keep popping up, the mapgen doesn't seem to work, nothing shows up but the sky.
it says the dependences are unsatisfied.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Jackknife wrote: Game won't load, error messages keep popping up, the mapgen doesn't seem to work, nothing shows up but the sky.
Yes, that is sadly so. There are some adjustments necessary for it to work with MT 5.x.

There are the issues Tignasse Verte mentionned: Adding placer in register_functions.lua and replacing the two occourances of nodeupdate with minetest.check_for_falling.

Other changes are necessary because I changed (and had to change) quite a lot in mg_villages internally recently. If you want to get further with running the game under newer versions of MT, replace the versions of cottages, handle_schematics and mg_villages AdventureTest comes with with the newest versions from my Github page.

Then, remove the line "mg_villages.on_generated(minp,maxp,seed)" in adventuretest/register_functions.lua. This may have an impact on quests the old explorer is handling out, but if you ignore these for now, the world ought to be usable.

Comment out the file/content of mg/fill_chests.lua for now as that requires a few adjustments for filling the chests with the right content, and that's a bit too much to write here in an inconvenient forum post.

You won't see any villagers spawning because their spawn blocks are not placed. My first attempts there ended in a severe overcrowding of villagers. Needs finetuning/understanding what BrandonReese did to keep it balanced. But then, this seems to be an open issue on Github as well...

Mobs will likely not work very well. A lot changed regarding them. They certainly could use an update as well - as could the goblins. I'm sure the witches from the same modder would feel welcome in the AdventureTest universe, too.