[Game] Adventuretest

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

Re: [Game] Adventuretest [Alpha]

by BrandonReese » Post

TuxerP wrote:I want to run adventuretest as a second minetest service on my minetest service. Having carbone-ng running on port 30000 with worldname "world" I created a second service with, but I keeps using the default worldname "world". Minetest is running on a headless ubuntu linux server with systemd. Setting the world path in the minetest.conf or defining a different worldname on the command line does not create a different world directory in my .minetest/world directory. Anyone any idea how I can solve this? I think adventuretest is a great subgame and would like to test it very much.
Use the --worldname command line. So for your second instance use something like this.

Code: Select all

minetestserver --config <config file for this instance> --worldname world2 --port 31000 --logfile debug2.txt

TuxerP

by TuxerP » Post

I am using that option. It does not create a new world for me. When run from the command line I get:
World 'world2' not available. Available worlds:
world '/home/minetest/.minetest/worlds/world'
Automatically selecting world at [/home/minetest/.minetest/worlds/world]

If I do a "/usr/local/bin/minetest --list" I only see one world.

Minetest.conf has "default_game = adventuretest" defined.

FreeLikeGNU
GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Try

Code: Select all

minetestserver --gameid adventuretest --world adventuretest --port 30010

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Create a folder for your new world in the worlds folder and create an empty world.mt file. That should do it.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

BrandonReese wrote:Create a folder for your new world in the worlds folder and create an empty world.mt file. That should do it.
using --world creates/uses the folder automatically.

TuxerP

by TuxerP » Post

Thx for the response. That could be the difference between the --worldname and --world options. I will try the --world option to create the new world on my second instance for adventuretest.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

I've found myself dying and losing the ability to harvest wood (not breakable by hand) or even get sticks from tree leaves. At that point I end up without the ability to make any tools. Am I missing something about crafting?

swordpaint12
In-game: [swordpaint12][Belching_Balladeer]

by swordpaint12 » Post

@FreeLikeGNU are you using the wood in your inventory first? Also, are you using your steel axe?

I myself keep having to trek across literally thousands of nodes just to find trees. In every single magpen(except singlenode, of course!).
God's not dead; remember that!
Yay for MT! No MC here!
I am a human. I'm younger than 100 years old.
I've been playing Minetest since December 2014.

I'm amazed that I haven't been on here in so long! My latest minetest accomplishment was mining by hand (well, as close as you can get in a computer game) a circle 30 blocks in diameter. It took forever but it's pretty cool.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

swordpaint12 wrote:@FreeLikeGNU are you using the wood in your inventory first? Also, are you using your steel axe?

I myself keep having to trek across literally thousands of nodes just to find trees. In every single magpen(except singlenode, of course!).
No problem using wood and axe in my inventory, then I get killed, lose inventory and unable to make a tool. Town chests rarely have a tool I can use. Usually I find hoes and torches and string.

swordpaint12

by swordpaint12 » Post

Oh okay. At one point I kept on spawning in the spot I died; no problem getting bones there! Usually the first thing I do is establish a house and use /sethome.
Yay for MT! No MC here!

I'm amazed that I haven't been on here in so long! My latest minetest accomplishment was mining by hand (well, as close as you can get in a computer game) a circle 30 blocks in diameter. It took forever but it's pretty cool.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

A good strategy would be to build up a simple house with some supplies you might need if you die and cannot recover your bones.

I just pushed an update so leaves drop sticks, sticks can be crafted into wood planks, and leaves can be crafted into sticks. I also added stone and steel picks and axes to some of the stuff found in villages.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

BrandonReese wrote:A good strategy would be to build up a simple house with some supplies you might need if you die and cannot recover your bones.

I just pushed an update so leaves drop sticks, sticks can be crafted into wood planks, and leaves can be crafted into sticks. I also added stone and steel picks and axes to some of the stuff found in villages.
awesomesauce!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

BrandonReese wrote: I just pushed an update so leaves drop sticks, sticks can be crafted into wood planks, and leaves can be crafted into sticks. I also added
stone and steel picks and axes to some of the stuff found in villages.
That's good. Even wooden tools might help to get started. I'm afraid the list of items found in villages may need a rework inside mg_villages as well. Without further mods installed, the content of chests is often a bit boring. But then..those are more or less poor villagers...they really don't have any gold bars lying around at home. There's a mod with clothes out there that might be a nice addition. At least it'd provide some suitable content for the chests.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Sane
GitHub: mt-sane
In-game: Sane

Huge amounts of experience orbs.

by Sane » Post

Hi there,

heaps of kudos!
I really like this game.
Cool that you've added the goblins.
I also like that you decided to give experience for doing things other than slaying mobs.

Imho there is a problem though with the experience gained by digging.
+ Spoiler
Red experience orbs pile up faster than I can get rid of them.
If you really think this is right I'll stop annoying you, and change is locally [edit] in my single player game [/edit].
Last edited by Sane on Sun Aug 30, 2015 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Trying to stay me.

FreeLikeGNU

Re: Huge amounts of experience orbs.

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Sane wrote: Imho there is a problem though with the experience gained by digging.
+ Spoiler
I've found a similar situation, not sure if it also has to do with digging:
+ Spoiler

Sane

Re: Huge amounts of experience orbs.

by Sane » Post

FreeLikeGNU wrote:
Sane wrote: Imho there is a problem though with the experience gained by digging.
+ Spoiler
I've found a similar situation, not sure if it also has to do with digging:
+ Spoiler
The experience thing also happens when you
+ Spoiler
Trying to stay me.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Just pushed an update for the for the mining / building experience formula. Under this new formula at 100,000 nodes you will receive 17 experience per 100 and will have accumulated almost 9000 experience. Does that seem a little more reasonable?

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

This will probably be the last update for a little while. I've started working on a rewrite of how all of the extra player data is handled (skills, energy, magic, stamina, etc...). Until it's finished I won't be able to push any updates (because I don't feel like setting up a separate branch for this). It may take me a day to finish the rewrite or it may take a couple weeks. We'll just see how much time I have.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

I lied, pushed another update to fix dungeon generation. When I restructured some mapgen stuff I accidentally removed the mapgen aliases for the dungeons. This will be the last update until the player data rewrite is finished.

swordpaint12

by swordpaint12 » Post

Sweet! Glad for these updates. I have been making my houses out of dirt. It looks like a sodden roof sticking out of the ground.

I have also been following a WIP mod that will spawn towers with treasure in them, I don't know if this would be helpful or not.
Yay for MT! No MC here!

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

another couple issues I found:
* placing two tools in the workbench shows a single improved tool but then all tools in the workbench and target disappear.
* items left in a workbench disappear immediately upon leaving the workbench hud.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

FreeLikeGNU wrote:another couple issues I found:
* placing two tools in the workbench shows a single improved tool but then all tools in the workbench and target disappear.
IDK how that was implemented in this game, but if that looks at least a little bit anything like the Magichet 1.1-dev toolrepair (on_craft), then the code to get improved tools should be changed.
Somewhere around 15th of June the tool repair stopped working because of the changes applied to MT.

Regards!

Sane

by Sane » Post

BrandonReese wrote:Just pushed an update for the for the mining / building experience formula. Under this new formula at 100,000 nodes you will receive 17 experience per 100 and will have accumulated almost 9000 experience. Does that seem a little more reasonable?
I don't get why experience should increase with the the amount of digged nodes. Killing the hundredth mob does not increase the xp gained. So why should the hundredth dig? If there has to be a variation why not make it relate to the distance from 0,0,0?
Trying to stay me.

Sane

by Sane » Post

FreeLikeGNU wrote:placing two tools in the workbench shows a single improved tool but then all tools in the workbench and target disappear.
I think this is intended.
When you start you can't craft good tools. Beeing able to repair the tools beyond your ability would defy the purpose of the skills.
FreeLikeGNU wrote:items left in a workbench disappear immediately upon leaving the workbench hud.
Although I think it's a bug I kind of like it.
This forces you to build a secure place around the workbench because otherwise if you are attaced while crafting you have to decide between survival and keeping the stuff.
Trying to stay me.

FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

Sane wrote:
FreeLikeGNU wrote:placing two tools in the workbench shows a single improved tool but then all tools in the workbench and target disappear.
I think this is intended.
When you start you can't craft good tools. Beeing able to repair the tools beyond your ability would defy the purpose of the skills.
FreeLikeGNU wrote:items left in a workbench disappear immediately upon leaving the workbench hud.
Although I think it's a bug I kind of like it.
This forces you to build a secure place around the workbench because otherwise if you are attaced while crafting you have to decide between survival and keeping the stuff.
If its intended, thats fine, then there should not be an output shown, nor should items be destroyed, yes?