nrz
Developer

GitHub: nerzhul
IRC: nrzkt
In-game: nrz

Re: Minetest 0.4.16

by nrz » Fri Jun 09, 2017 13:59

zing269 wrote:
nrz wrote:It's not an error but a warning on player files. On this release we introduced SQL backends for player files which will replace files backend in a future release. Look at the wiki page to know how to migrate your player files to sqlite3 or postgresql, it's a migration process

Why doesn't it create the player data in a sqlite3 db by default? I started clean, just unzipped the file into a new folder and didn't copy anything from any of my old installations, yet it creates player files rather than using the include sqlite3.

We discussed about making it by default for new worlds but we decided to make it as a warning in this release and report the default for next release

tverrbjelke

GitHub: tverrbjelke
IRC: tverrbjelke
In-game: SirBrick

Migrate from 14 to 16 - fails to import existing world.

by tverrbjelke » Fri Jun 09, 2017 16:41

Migrate from 14 to 16 - fails to import existing world.

Hei, I succeeded compiling the new version 16 with this simple bash script https://github.com/tverrbjelke/compile_minetest

In my compile script I have not changed my compile flags.
Code: Select all
export BUILD_OPTS="-DRUN_IN_PLACE=TRUE -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DENABLE_GETTEXT=1 \
  -DENABLE_FREETYPE=1  -DBUILD_CLIENT=1 -DBUILD_SERVER=1 -DENABLE_CURL=1  -DENABLE_GLES=1 \
  -DENABLE_LEVELDB=0 -DENABLE_SPATIAL=1 -DENABLE_LUAJIT=1 -DENABLE_SYSTEM_GMP=1 \
  -DENABLE_REDIS=1 -DENABLE_SOUND=1"

My systems are Ubuntu 12.04 and debian-jessy.

I have then added the recent version of mod dreambuilder https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9196
 git clone https://github.com/VanessaE/dreambuilder_modpack.git ${DEST_BASE}/${MINETEST}/mods/dreambuilder_modpack

Then I just rsynced (copied) my existing mod wardrobe from game version .14 into the .16, and just copied also the existing world and players folder. Starting the new version of minetestserver somehow worked. I could login with my admin player. But some nodes (should be e.g. stones) just are displaying a texture saying "unknown node"!

So I really want to give my players the new version. How shall I migrate the world?

I see https://forum.minetest.net/search.php?keywords=migrate&fid%5B0%5D=11
You don't need minetestserver to run that command, instead just use minetest --server: minetest --server --migrate-players <name of new backend> --world <path to your world directory> Ok, that worked. Thank you! Worth to mention: I had to add player_backend = files to world.mt ...

by PEAK
Tue Jun 06, 2017 21:03

But honestly I don't understand what that is about. <name of new backend> - I dont know what a name of a new backend means... (maybe I need a simple example so I know what to fill in <>?)

Same with this:http://wiki.minetest.net/Command_line
 --migrate <value> - Migrate from current backend to another (only works when using minetestserver or --server)

--migrate-players <value> - Migrate from current player backend to another (only works when using minetestserver or --server)

I dont know what exactly (as string) <current backend> and <value> could/should contain. Is that a version "0.4.14" or "0.4.16"? or is that relating to http://wiki.minetest.net/Database_backends#Map_backend

My compile flags suggest I am using redis as "backend" for the world map. right?
So what have I done wrong?
How can I import the world correctly?

I added some more debug messages, maybe it is also related to dreambuilder mod? please see https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9196&p=276207#p276207
I am not sure where to post this exactly...
HELP PLEASE!

red-001

GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001 red-002 red-003 etc red-NaN red-999 Lord_Buckethead

by red-001 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 20:54

The nodes issue is likely caused by a faulty mod, could you check the name of the unknown node?

Andrey01

GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:26

Developers, can you improve flowing of water source and lava source? They leak very bad.
I like and i am learning to build nice and great houses, palaces, infrastructures and etc... in Minetest!
My Mods:
Unfinished:Medicine,Cube Nodes.

Old:Sweet Machine,Drink Machine

My Favourite Servers:
just test, Switchboard PvP made by yngwie123, VanessaE`s creative-building server, Parkour Owned by LoweGaming, Fractal Island and some other servers!

XtremeHacker

GitHub: XtremeHacker
In-game: XtremeHacker

by XtremeHacker » Sun Jun 11, 2017 16:46

Are you using shaders, because that makes it look as though they are, even though they aren't.
If you say that
function.name_of_thing_to_do
is impossible, then you didn't try hard enough. :P

Mods I work on: MicroExpansion

tverrbjelke

GitHub: tverrbjelke
IRC: tverrbjelke
In-game: SirBrick

[SOLVED] migrating world 0.4.14 -> Minetest 0.4.16

by tverrbjelke » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:41

red-001 wrote:The nodes issue is likely caused by a faulty mod, could you check the name of the unknown node?

SOLVED. I had some problems migrating the dreambuilder mod into the new world.
It was not the mod itself, it was the migrating procedure and this clumsy minetest vs minetestserver and how to de- activate different modules. I am used to normal terminal and config files. (Hey I am hosting on my server and there should be no gui needed at all!)
Now I had to use the minetest client gui to redo the settings of that world.
I would really like to have a configfile only procedure and some wiki manual how to do things without this gui... it seems that now some things are changed inside the world.mt file. But I am not sure. A guide would be great!

See https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9196&p=276889#p276889

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 18:30

Why when i close the game does it start very long to continue in new version? It is like a bug in 0.4.16.
I like and i am learning to build nice and great houses, palaces, infrastructures and etc... in Minetest!
My Mods:

My Favourite Servers:
just test, Switchboard PvP made by yngwie123, VanessaE`s creative-building server, Parkour Owned by LoweGaming, Fractal Island and some other servers!

XtremeHacker

GitHub: XtremeHacker
In-game: XtremeHacker

by XtremeHacker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 18:54

Well, there was that map conversion thing that had to happen, one time only though...
If you say that
function.name_of_thing_to_do
is impossible, then you didn't try hard enough. :P

Mods I work on: MicroExpansion

muhdnurhidayat

GitHub: MuhdNurHidayat
IRC: muhdnurhidayat
In-game: muhdnurhidayat

Re: Public Service Announcement

by muhdnurhidayat » Mon Jun 12, 2017 22:54

When I reread this thread, I found this a few posts after my post on the screenshot where I put up a mese post light.
Wuzzy wrote:This is a mese post light, which is new in Minetest Game:

This is a mese lamp, which Minetest Game had for quite a while:

Please do not confuse the two.

Is this directed to my post or it's directed to the video?
(since the same post also wrote about Nathan's video)

Maybe you've started writing a reply when I first wrote my post, where I wrote "mese post lamp" by mistake but I've edited it to "mese post light" once I realized the mistake (it don't even show "edited by" line because I've edited it before any replies are submitted). But, thanks to point it out.

+ In case anyone wondering how the mistake happened -- if they even realize it before I edited
UTC+8 here, contributing to Minetest Wiki. I play as muhdnurhidayat in IFS (mod), HOMETOWN & others. / Full signature / Twitter / MT Offtopic

Now translating Minetest Modding Book to Malay, still WIP.
We're facing internet issue as AAG, ASE & SMW3 cables connecting to our country have problems. Expect delays in reply.

ForgiveAndromedalol

GitHub: ForgiveAndromedalol
IRC: Andromeda
In-game: Yam

Re: Public Service Announcement

by ForgiveAndromedalol » Mon Jun 12, 2017 23:05

muhdnurhidayat wrote:When I reread this thread, I found this a few posts after my post on the screenshot where I put up a mese post light.
Wuzzy wrote:This is a mese post light, which is new in Minetest Game:

This is a mese lamp, which Minetest Game had for quite a while:

Please do not confuse the two.

Is this directed to my post or it's directed to the video?
(since the same post also wrote about Nathan's video)

Maybe you've started writing a reply when I first wrote my post, where I wrote "mese post lamp" by mistake but I've edited it to "mese post light" once I realized the mistake (it don't even show "edited by" line because I've edited it before any replies are submitted). But, thanks to point it out.

+ In case anyone wondering how the mistake happened -- if they even realize it before I edited

My MODS: Water Colors - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18241
BTW BLOCKS - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17654

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 14:06

Andrey01 wrote:Why when i close the game does it start very long to continue in new version? It is like a bug in 0.4.16.

Maybe for that have i installed many of mods? But it did not happen before version 0.4.16.
My Mods:

My Favourite Servers:

christoferlevich

GitHub: ChristoferL

by christoferlevich » Thu Jun 15, 2017 13:35

LOVING IT!
everything can be a learning experience...

iisu

GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Thu Jun 15, 2017 19:25

I haven't updated my system for a while and today when I ran update I finally got MT 0.4.16. I don't care much about the newest version so I stick with the one in my repo.
I lurked the forum and had plenty of time to get accustomed to the fact sneaking ladders will are disabled but I wasn't prepared for this inconvenience in the menu.
What I usually do when I launch MT is to look at the top of the servers list to see if the server I'd like to join is the first. If it is, I just type in the password and hit enter straight ahead. This has become a habit and I do it automatically, as before MT 0.4.16 password field was the default one. So I launch MT and type my password in… a search box. -_-
Now everybody can see my password or at least this part of it I manage to type before I realize what I'm doing. And if I manage to type the full password and hit enter, it is also sent to the searching engine, probably not even encrypted and not treated like a password should be.

red-001

by red-001 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 22:37

are you seriously complaining that you can search the server list?

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 23:08

No, iisu is complaining that the search field has stolen the default focus. The default focus in many input fields is still flawed in Minetest, it's not just this particular example.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest. I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 17:15

Ideas to 0.4.17.
-Developers forgot to add... obsidian glass panes! Nobody did not think about it.
-Increase the amount of dropping ores from broken ores blocks. For example:
-Coal ore: drops 3-5 coal lumps
-Steel ore: drops 2-4 steel lumps
-Copper ore: drops 2-3 copper lumps
-Gold ore: drops 2-3 gold lumps
-Mese ore: drops 1-2 mese crystals
-Diamond ore: drops 1-3 diamond crystals
-Add the oil: it will be a liquid that will meet in underground.
-Add the mese stone brick: it will be nice! Also to it: mese glass and mese glass panes that will be sources of light!
-Add the sand stone fence: same crafting recipe, only instead of stobe blocks, sand stone. Also, i suggest to add sand cobblestone.
My Mods:

My Favourite Servers:

red-001

by red-001 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 20:03

The focus isn't really worth the time it would take to fix it, it only takes at most a second to select a field.

Ruggero

by Ruggero » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:16

Andrey01 wrote:Ideas to 0.4.17.
-Developers forgot to add... obsidian glass panes! Nobody did not think about it.
-Add the mese stone brick: it will be nice! Also to it: mese glass and mese glass panes that will be sources of light!
-Add the sand stone fence: same crafting recipe, only instead of stobe blocks, sand stone. Also, i suggest to add sand cobblestone.

That's not related to MT Engine, but rather to minetest_game. Plus you can add these improvements by yourself as they are very easy to code.
Join my minetest group on Telegram! (more infos here)

Echoes91

In-game: Echoes

by Echoes91 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 13:23

Cool release, good job!
Just wondering if you're trying to make my Minesim subgame obsolete XD
Jokes apart, I'm really happy that those small ideas are becoming mainstream (don't know where they came out first actually but who cares).
"It wasn't easy to break so many functions by editing a single line"

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Sun Jun 18, 2017 14:55

SOng: i should really download 4.16, before 4.17's out!

Chibi ghost

In-game: Ghost

by Chibi ghost » Sun Jun 18, 2017 15:54

I've already downloaded it and installed my map on it twice #smug af

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 15:12

Ruggero wrote:

That's not related to MT Engine, but rather to minetest_game. Plus you can add these improvements by yourself as they are very easy to code.

But i advise to add it to developers!
My Mods:

My Favourite Servers:

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 15:13

Ruggero wrote:

But i advise to add it by developers!
My Mods:

My Favourite Servers:

octacian

GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

by octacian » Mon Jun 19, 2017 17:34

A YouTube video covering nearly every feature (not bugfix) in Minetest and Minetest Game 0.4.16 in under 15 minutes.

https://youtu.be/sieIpZoR_Mg
+ Super-Cool Thumbnail :P
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)

nrz
Developer

GitHub: nerzhul
IRC: nrzkt
In-game: nrz

by nrz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 20:52

nice octacian i added your link on top post

PreviousNext

Return to News