Minetest 0.5 is on the road

red-001
Member
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 20:15
GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001 red-002 red-003 etc red-NaN red-999 Lord_Buckethead

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by red-001 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 14:02

LordStephen77 wrote:- Irrlicht is isolated because you are going to completely remove this render engine. Or to keep it separate and
manage it easier?

That likely hasn't been decided yet at least not in any official capacity. So far all that is being done is making is easier to change/add a new engine.

LordStephen77 wrote:- Why did you choose Irrlicht as a render engine? I have basic C++ knowledge, I would have chosen SFML, Glew
(Open GL Libraries), OpenGL Mathematics (GLM). I think it's the best choice.

Irrlicht does a lot more then just render, it handles the GUI, user input, etc. AFAIK there wasn't much of a choice in open source game engines back when minetest was started.
 

User avatar
LordStephen77
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 15:26

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by LordStephen77 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 18:40

Thank you for your answer. In 2009/2010 there was actually no choice today. I think isolating Irrlicht makes it easier to handle the project.

The best choice (perhaps) is Ogre3D, I think is the easiest and most documented one.
 

nrz
Developer
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 17:16
Location: France
GitHub: nerzhul
IRC: nrzkt
In-game: nrz

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by nrz » Thu Jun 29, 2017 20:23

Idea is to have less places where irrlicht is referenced permitting at a point to properly replace it if we want, it's not easy, no, but we started to isolate it, some C++ object doesn't know about irrlicht anymore, they call RenderingEngine methods
 

User avatar
BBmine
Member
 
Posts: 3305
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 22:51
Location: USA
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by BBmine » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:41

I feel like I have pc's that might be too old for the newest one :/

ExeterDad, I'm forced to use -dev for my server because the mods require that.
 

lincy
Member
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 19:37
Location: Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by lincy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:25

Good to hear 0.5 !!!
This is a big step.

It's possibly have multi-lang support in 0.5 ?

I meaning .....

same game server but many client with diff-language.
Server <--- client with English -> see English message.
Server <--- client with Chinese -> see Chinese message.
Server <--- client with Japan -> see Japan message.

Server side can have only English message file or support multi-language messsage file. depend on server owner.
If server only have English message file , all other language client only see English message.
If server provide English and Chinese message file, Chinese langauge client see Chinese message and all other client see English.

Mod creator can follow same multi-language message file rule as core to provide multi-language support.

and.. if client can input multi-language message to chat. That will be cool !

anyway, Just a ........ greedy expectation.
 

User avatar
Linuxdirk
Member
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:21
Location: Germany
GitHub: 4w
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by Linuxdirk » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:38

lincy wrote:It's possibly have multi-lang support in 0.5 ?

Likely no. We don't even have proper i18n support for mods right now. Let alone client-dependent multi language support. Afaik the client does not even tell the server what languages it accepts.

So first we need proper i18n support for mods (speaking of gettext and .mo files instea of an external Lua based 3rd party mod) before we can think of having client-dependent multi-language support.
 

ABJ
Member
 
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:02
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
 

paramat
Developer
 
Posts: 2963
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 00:05
Location: UK
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by paramat » Sun Jul 09, 2017 17:30

I've noticed people are making suggestions for 0.5, it's too late, we already have a huge amount of work to do for 0.5, and a serious lack of active devs, anything not already planned is not likely to happen.
Your suggestions should be for 0.5.1.
 

dpleshkov
New member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 01:17
GitHub: dpleshkov

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by dpleshkov » Mon Jul 10, 2017 00:47

Question: Will old mods and other things be supported?
 

Byakuren
Member
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 01:59
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by Byakuren » Mon Jul 10, 2017 00:56

dpleshkov wrote:Question: Will old mods and other things be supported?

0.5 breaks backwards compatibility, so expect some mods to stop working.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.
 

User avatar
GreenDimond
Member
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 01:26
Location: Just outside of existence.
GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by GreenDimond » Tue Jul 11, 2017 06:26

Byakuren wrote:
dpleshkov wrote:Question: Will old mods and other things be supported?

0.5 breaks backwards compatibility, so expect some mods to stop working.

Keyword "some". Many mods should still work. Keyword being "should".
My YouTube channel. I moderate the HOMETOWN Server. My Mods: Tac Nayn - Sandplus - Waffles - Pumpkin Spice ✂️- - - - - -
 

1337
New member
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 18:25

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by 1337 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 18:28

Please put Minetest up on itch.io and Game Jolt!!!! PLEASE!!!

They both have awesome clients with easy installation and auto-update and a massive community between each platforms.
 

User avatar
Andrey01
Member
 
Posts: 1668
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 15:18
Location: Russia, Moscow
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by Andrey01 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 09:57

paramat wrote:I've noticed people are making suggestions for 0.5, it's too late, we already have a huge amount of work to do for 0.5, and a serious lack of active devs, anything not already planned is not likely to happen.
Your suggestions should be for 0.5.1.

Hmm... it`s interesting. When will 1.0.0 be coming?
I like and i am learning to build nice and great houses, palaces, infrastructures and etc... in Minetest!
My Mods:
Unfinished:Medicine,Cube Nodes.

Old:Sweet Machine,Drink Machine

My Favourite Servers:
just test, Switchboard PvP made by yngwie123, VanessaE`s creative-building server, Parkour Owned by LoweGaming, Fractal Island and some other servers!
 

paramat
Developer
 
Posts: 2963
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 00:05
Location: UK
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by paramat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 02:36

A new feature 'settable player collision box' has been merged in MT 0.4.16dev and this is a breaking change that can be considered part of 0.5.0 breakage, old clients will not be usable with new servers (and the other way around).
 

User avatar
GreenDimond
Member
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 01:26
Location: Just outside of existence.
GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by GreenDimond » Fri Jul 21, 2017 04:07

paramat wrote:old clients will not be usable with new servers (and the other way around).

Incorrect..
I can connect to the HOMETOWN server with the new client. It just bumps the player model/selection up by one block (just a visual change), and the F7 camera is offset.
My YouTube channel. I moderate the HOMETOWN Server. My Mods: Tac Nayn - Sandplus - Waffles - Pumpkin Spice ✂️- - - - - -
 

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
Location: Illinois, USA
In-game: Nemo

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by sorcerykid » Tue Jul 25, 2017 20:46

paramat wrote:A new feature 'settable player collision box' has been merged in MT 0.4.16dev and this is a breaking change that can be considered part of 0.5.0 breakage, old clients will not be usable with new servers (and the other way around).


Am I to understand that if a server owner updates to version 0.5, then they will lose players with version 0.4 clients? Similarly, if a player updates to version 0.5, then they will no longer be able to connect to any version 0.4 servers?

For the first few months, such an abrupt transition is sure to alienate many players. This impact would be most significant in the case of unofficial builds for mobile devices (such as Multicraft) for which a 0.5 compatible release could take months.

This sounds like a no win situation for all involved.
 

User avatar
GreenDimond
Member
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 01:26
Location: Just outside of existence.
GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by GreenDimond » Tue Jul 25, 2017 20:53

sorcerykid wrote:
paramat wrote:A new feature 'settable player collision box' has been merged in MT 0.4.16dev and this is a breaking change that can be considered part of 0.5.0 breakage, old clients will not be usable with new servers (and the other way around).


Am I to understand that if a server owner updates to version 0.5, then they will lose players with version 0.4 clients? Similarly, if a player updates to version 0.5, then they will no longer be able to connect to any version 0.4 servers?

For the first few months, such an abrupt transition is sure to alienate many players. This impact would be most significant in the case of unofficial builds for mobile devices (such as Multicraft) for which a 0.5 compatible release could take months.

This sounds like a no win situation for all involved.


GreenDimond wrote:
paramat wrote:old clients will not be usable with new servers (and the other way around).

Incorrect..
I can connect to the HOMETOWN server with the new client. It just bumps the player model/selection up by one block (just a visual change), and the F7 camera is offset.

You can connect just fine. The player model is just a bit mis-placed.
My YouTube channel. I moderate the HOMETOWN Server. My Mods: Tac Nayn - Sandplus - Waffles - Pumpkin Spice ✂️- - - - - -
 

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
Location: Illinois, USA
In-game: Nemo

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by sorcerykid » Tue Jul 25, 2017 22:17

The HOMETOWN server is already running Minetest version 0.5?
 

User avatar
GreenDimond
Member
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 01:26
Location: Just outside of existence.
GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by GreenDimond » Tue Jul 25, 2017 22:19

sorcerykid wrote:The HOMETOWN server is already running Minetest version 0.5?

Other way around. I am using 0.5.0 and HOMETOWN is using something slightly lower. I can connect. The other way around should work too.
My YouTube channel. I moderate the HOMETOWN Server. My Mods: Tac Nayn - Sandplus - Waffles - Pumpkin Spice ✂️- - - - - -
 

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
Location: Illinois, USA
In-game: Nemo

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by sorcerykid » Tue Jul 25, 2017 22:29

How did you download a Minetest 0.5 client? The core devs haven't even announced the release of 0.4.17 yet.
 

User avatar
GreenDimond
Member
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 01:26
Location: Just outside of existence.
GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by GreenDimond » Tue Jul 25, 2017 22:35

sorcerykid wrote:How did you download a Minetest 0.5 client? The core devs haven't even announced the release of 0.4.17 yet.

0.4.16-dev is the equivalent of 0.5.0 because of the breaking change. The player model change that paramat was talking about is already part of 0.4.16-dev. 0.4.17 may or may not happen.
My YouTube channel. I moderate the HOMETOWN Server. My Mods: Tac Nayn - Sandplus - Waffles - Pumpkin Spice ✂️- - - - - -
 

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
Location: Illinois, USA
In-game: Nemo

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by sorcerykid » Tue Jul 25, 2017 22:42

There will be other breaking changes, including a revamped network protocol. That is what I am concerned about in my post above.
 

User avatar
GreenDimond
Member
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 01:26
Location: Just outside of existence.
GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by GreenDimond » Tue Jul 25, 2017 22:48

sorcerykid wrote:There will be other breaking changes, including a revamped network protocol. That is what I am concerned about in my post above.

I see. I was confused because you had quoted paramat talking about the player model breakage :P
My YouTube channel. I moderate the HOMETOWN Server. My Mods: Tac Nayn - Sandplus - Waffles - Pumpkin Spice ✂️- - - - - -
 

User avatar
Andrey01
Member
 
Posts: 1668
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 15:18
Location: Russia, Moscow
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by Andrey01 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 17:41

GreenDimond wrote:
sorcerykid wrote:How did you download a Minetest 0.5 client? The core devs haven't even announced the release of 0.4.17 yet.

0.4.16-dev is the equivalent of 0.5.0 because of the breaking change. The player model change that paramat was talking about is already part of 0.4.16-dev. 0.4.17 may or may not happen.

But official 0.5.0 version has not come yet. I don`t know where you found it.
I like and i am learning to build nice and great houses, palaces, infrastructures and etc... in Minetest!
My Mods:
Unfinished:Medicine,Cube Nodes.

Old:Sweet Machine,Drink Machine

My Favourite Servers:
just test, Switchboard PvP made by yngwie123, VanessaE`s creative-building server, Parkour Owned by LoweGaming, Fractal Island and some other servers!
 

User avatar
GreenDimond
Member
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 01:26
Location: Just outside of existence.
GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

Re: Minetest 0.5 is on the road

by GreenDimond » Wed Jul 26, 2017 17:52

Andrey01 wrote:
GreenDimond wrote:
sorcerykid wrote:How did you download a Minetest 0.5 client? The core devs haven't even announced the release of 0.4.17 yet.

0.4.16-dev is the equivalent of 0.5.0 because of the breaking change. The player model change that paramat was talking about is already part of 0.4.16-dev. 0.4.17 may or may not happen.

But official 0.5.0 version has not come yet. I don`t know where you found it.


GreenDimond wrote:0.4.16-dev is the equivalent of 0.5.0 because of the breaking change.
My YouTube channel. I moderate the HOMETOWN Server. My Mods: Tac Nayn - Sandplus - Waffles - Pumpkin Spice ✂️- - - - - -
 

PreviousNext

Return to News



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest