Minetest 5.0.0 is on the road

sorcerykid

GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

Re: Minetest 5.0.0 is on the road

by sorcerykid » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:15

If you are using dofile(), you don't need to resort to a global table. The following trick makes it possible to to share a truly protected namespace amongst all the included files in your mod :)

In init.lua, you pass the namespace as a parameter to the function returned by dofile()

Code: Select all
local this = {}

dofile(mod_path .. "/helpers.lua")(this)
dofile(mod_path .. "/tools.lua")(this)

And in the included file(s), you simply capture the namespace via a returned function.

local this

local function bar(whatever)
  -- add functionality here
  this.foo()
end

return function (parent)
  this = parent
end

PS. If you're not averse to using loadfile() instead of dofile(), then the included files could be simplified even further

local this = ...

this.foo()
end

Beerholder

GitHub: evrooije
In-game: Beerholder

by Beerholder » Thu Sep 13, 2018 15:08

sorcerykid wrote:In init.lua, you pass the namespace as a parameter to the function returned by dofile()

I learned something new today O_o Thanks sk!! I think there are some places here and there where I could use this little trick :D

PolySaken

GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Thu Sep 13, 2018 20:44

sorcerykid wrote:If you are using dofile(), you don't need to resort to a global table. The following trick makes it possible to to share a truly protected namespace amongst all the included files in your mod :)

In init.lua, you pass the namespace as a parameter to the function returned by dofile()

local this = {}

dofile(mod_path .. "/helpers.lua")(this)
dofile(mod_path .. "/tools.lua")(this)

And in the included file(s), you simply capture the namespace via a returned function.

local this

this.foo()
end

return function (parent)
  this = parent
end

PS. If you're not averse to using loadfile() instead of dofile(), then the included files could be simplified even further

local this = ...

this.foo()
end

I did in fact know of this, but I wanted other mods to be able to interact with the global table as it has functions for creating new recipes for machines and also contains it's own settings object. I don't dislike the minetest settings object, but I prefer to use my own. This also allows me to have per-world settings (being added next), and you can change some of te settings while the game is running.

Previous

Return to News