rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: ContentDB - database for the mod/game/txp in-menu installer

by rubenwardy » Post

runs wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 14:53
I mean, it is not documented not to use certain keys in mod.conf...
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... pi.txt#L84
release: Ignore this: Should only ever be set by ContentDB, as it is an internal ID used to track versions.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 17:02
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... pi.txt#L84
release: Ignore this: Should only ever be set by ContentDB, as it is an internal ID used to track versions.
Ah great, so mods should use modname_release instead. Makes much more sense this way round.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

runs wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 14:53
In the new ContentDB version, when I wanted to update my Juanchi Game:

Code: Select all

Task Failed

"Error validating package: /mods/lavastuff/mod.conf should not contain \'release\' 
Also for bikes and pillars mod.

I solved, not problem. But...

So this release key in .conf files is get by ContentDB, an official extension.

Why not to use "release_cdb" better?

I mean, it is not documented not to use certain keys in mod.conf...
I had it in there because CDB used it. I removed it in my latest release IIRC
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

runs

by runs » Post

Why Draconis (or others) featured on the top of the page and not Petz (or others)? Please, make a CLEAR policy. All is very suspicious...

ROllerozxa
GitHub: ROllerozxa
IRC: ROllerozxa
In-game: ROllerozxa

by ROllerozxa » Post

runs wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:20
Why Draconis (or others) featured on the top of the page and not Petz (or others)? Please, make a CLEAR policy. All is very suspicious...
From https://content.minetest.net/help/featured/:
We are still deciding on a policy for choosing Featured packages.
The featured packages is very new and they're still working on it, it has been and is being discussed in the Discord. Don't assume malice just because your mods haven't been featured yet.

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

ROllerozxa wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 13:53
runs wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:20
From https://content.minetest.net/help/featured/:
We are still deciding on a policy for choosing Featured packages.
The featured packages is very new and they're still working on it, it has been and is being discussed in the Discord. Don't assume malice just because your mods haven't been featured yet.
I'm curious, why is the discussion happening on Discord, rather than IRC (which is kind of the middle ground for the community)? There is definitely a non-negligible part of the community that don't use Discord, but pretty much everyone is bridged to IRC, regardless of their stance regarding free software/open source.

The featured section also came as a bit of a surprise on my last visit to ContentDB. Overall it's pretty welcome, but it would be great to hammer out a proper policy and strategy for how it should proceed, preferably somewhere anyone can participate or at least passively keep up, regardless of their stance toward a particular communication tool.

It might make sense for example to feature games and mods separately, or highlight non-MTG content, etc. I'm not taking a stance on any of that here, but it'd be interesting to see what people want out of this 'Featured Content' feature.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

freshreplicant wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 17:17
I'm curious, why is the discussion happening on Discord, rather than IRC (which is kind of the middle ground for the community)? There is definitely a non-negligible part of the community that don't use Discord, but pretty much everyone is bridged to IRC, regardless of their stance regarding free software/open source.

The featured section also came as a bit of a surprise on my last visit to ContentDB. Overall it's pretty welcome, but it would be great to hammer out a proper policy and strategy for how it should proceed, preferably somewhere anyone can participate or at least passively keep up, regardless of their stance toward a particular communication tool.
I have created an issue to discuss the policy on choosing Feature Packaged: https://github.com/minetest/contentdb/issues/321

After the mainmenu redesign, Featured Games will be shown on the home screen / landing page.

I often gather feedback from Discord as that's where a lot of players are, and I often get quicker replies there than on the forums and IRC. However, it's important for any policy or direction designs to be made in the open on transparent platforms so I have created that issue to start the discussion

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

“Must have a high res cover image screenshot” is very questionable. There are a lot of helper mods or mods that provide an API only. Those could never be featured then.

Also, what’s “well maintained”? If a mod is self-contained and there are no breaking changes since a few years then the mod can be featured because there were no updates since then because the mod simply works with all of the last X versions.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 21:07
“Must have a high res cover image screenshot” is very questionable. There are a lot of helper mods or mods that provide an API only. Those could never be featured then.
Helper mods and API mods should never be featured, as they're not applicable to users. Featured Packages is a very user-facing feature. The mods that use API mods can be featured, however, and Minetest will automatically install dependencies
Linuxdirk wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 21:07
Also, what’s “well maintained”? If a mod is self-contained and there are no breaking changes since a few years then the mod can be featured because there were no updates since then because the mod simply works with all of the last X versions.
If the author is still around and is responsive to bug reports, then this is fine - maintenance only is almost desirable. However, it's rare for a game to reach this state as none are really totally mature

Hello profile reader

runs

by runs » Post

Hmm... this reminds me that I have to promote Juanchi Game a lot more. If Samantha has to show up in a bikini, she will, all for the cause, hahaha. I want to get Juanchi the best game ever seen. :-D

runs

by runs » Post

I've removed a mod to recrete it (upload new again), but an error arises: Package already exists

SOLVED

runs

by runs » Post

What are the best suitable perfect dimensions in pixels for screenshots / logos / etc images?

Please create a 'Image Size Guide' in the docs.

To fit coolz. :-)

joe7575
GitHub: joe7575
In-game: JoSto wuffi

by joe7575 » Post

I need some help:
'Error validating package: Expected / to have technical name techage_modpack, instead has name techage'
Update: Problem solved! I had to change the name in "modpack.conf" to "techage_modpack"
Sent from my Commodore 64. Some of my Mods: Tech Age, TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, vm16, Minecart, Signs Bot.

runs

by runs » Post

I would like an option to disable comments. Like on Youtube. I think it's the right thing to do. I mean completely disable, not censor. Why do I have to put up with riff-raff, compulsorily? I feel humiliated.

I'm sick of two year old kids saying nonsense about my wonderful mods and game, with zero judgement and a lot of nastiness. I am above it all.

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

runs wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 01:54
I would like an option to disable comments. Like on Youtube. I think it's the right thing to do. I mean completely disable, not censor. Why do I have to put up with riff-raff, compulsorily? I feel humiliated.

I'm sick of two year old kids saying nonsense about my wonderful mods and game, with zero judgement and a lot of nastiness. I am above it all.
No one is above criticism.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

runs wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 01:54

I disagree. These aren't just comments, but reviews. I looked at a few of the comments on some of your packages, and the majority of thumbs down came from respected community members (not two year old kids, but intelligent, critical, and responsible people). They raised many good points that I have no reason to distrust, and based on some them, I would certainly not want me or any children I might have to be using that mod. I don't think mod creators should be allowed to hide legitimate and useful critiques of their mods just because the mod creator disagrees.

Now, if there are childish and "nonsense" reviews, as you so put it, that may be a job for the moderator. Not so for legitimate reviews.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

There are no nonsense reviews, I just checked. Runs just wants to be able to remove any criticism.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

v-rob wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 17:32
These aren't just comments, but reviews. I looked at a few of the comments on some of your packages, and the majority of thumbs down came from respected community members (not two year old kids, but intelligent, critical, and responsible people).
I agree here. The only real criticism I can find in all of their released mods in CDB are comments for the petz mod criticizing the breeding method which is seemingly scientific (but it actually isn't, because that's simply not how it works in reality) but not fitting the overall appearance of the mod very well.

doxygen_spammer
GitHub: doxygen-spammer

by doxygen_spammer » Post

Whenever I try to import my mod from the online repository (GitLab), or try to create a release manually, I get this error:
'Error validating package: Expecting mod or modpack, found unknown at /LICENSES/ inside modpack'
What can I do about that?

The mod (manually imported and without any releases set up) is now at https://content.minetest.net/packages/doxygen_spammer/morelights_dim/.

The LICENSES directory is excluded per .gitattributes, as described in https://content.minetest.net/help/package_config/#excluding-files.

The LICENSES directory is a requirement of the REUSE specification (https://reuse.software), and is checked by the reuse lint CI tool. Many of our repositories have it.

Minetest (the executable) has a similar problem. Every time I want to enable the modpack there, I get an error message complaining about uppercase letters. Well, that is the reason for .gitattributes. The LICENSES directory contains exactly the licenses used by my mod, no mod.conf or whatever, so there should be no reason to try to load it as mod...

Thanks for providing this service. :)

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Prepending LICENSES with a ~ should make the problem go away, if this is allowable. AFAIK it makes MT ignore the directory. (if this doesn't work, try adding a hacky workaround by adding a mod.conf with name=___unused or similar, and a blank init.lua to the LICENSES directory. This will make MT treat it as a valid mod although is quite ugly)

doxygen_spammer

Unfortunately, that is not allowed. The repository must have exactly this structure:

Code: Select all

- .reuse/
    - dep5
- LICENSES/
    - CC-BY-SA-4.0.txt
    - CC0-1.0.txt
    - MIT.txt
- [...]
LICENSES may not have additional files, and it may not have a different name.

I am going to try manual uploads of .zip files...

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I suggest trying to add more spaces between the keys and values in gitattributes, and removing the slash

ContentDB uses a crappy library called git-archive-all to create zips with support for submodules. It reimplements support for .gitattributes often incorrectly

Hello profile reader

doxygen_spammer

Thanks for the tip. I tried to insert many spaces, and removed the slashes, but the error message is still the same. :(

doxygen_spammer

I installed git-archive-all locally, and can now confirm that it interprets .gitattributes incorrectly. The problem occurs when a pattern ends with a slash. A single whitespace is enough, and slashes not at the end of the pattern are fine too.

https://github.com/Kentzo/git-archive-all/issues/87

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Wasn't exactly sure where to put this.

It took a while because I couldn't remember who the authors were (though I had narrowed it down to a half-dozen or so, which helped a lot) or what they were called. I just found them, and have not had the chance to test in the current release

I'd suggest Hume2's Wings of Escape. It got lost in the late forum troubles.

https://sorcerykid.github.io/minetest-f ... tm#p345993

duane_r's xlocate is also nice.

And I'm not sure why but it appears that piezo_'s Random_Ores is not installing the required Unique_Ores. Yes, they are both in ContentDB, but unless you know you need the latter, installing the former does no good.

If there's a better place to put stuff like this, please say so.

Thanks!