2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$720 prize pool] [POST-MORTEM!]

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

Re: 2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$500+ prize pool] [IT HAS BEGUN]

by MisterE » Post

debiankaios wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 20:25
Is it okay beginning later?
yes you can begin any time you like as long as you submit before the end

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

Re: 2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$600+ prize pool] [IT HAS BEGUN]

by MCL » Post

Good morning, I've got a question,
can I use mods that were made before the jam in my game?
I wanted to include the ranged_weapons mod, but I don't know if I can do it.
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

Re: 2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$600+ prize pool] [IT HAS BEGUN]

by GreenXenith » Post

MHL wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 01:28
As long as ranged_weapons is not central to your gameplay, then sure (as long as you document it). But if it is central to your game, no.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Just to seek some clarification, if I were to use advtrains as a library, obviously excluding using existing track, wagon and trackside equipment models, substituting my own, this would count as only a library, correct?
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 02:50
Just to seek some clarification, if I were to use advtrains as a library, obviously excluding using existing track, wagon and trackside equipment models, substituting my own, this would count as only a library, correct?
Correct, that would count as a library.

MCL

by MCL » Post

GreenXenith wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 01:47
MHL wrote:
As long as ranged_weapons is not central to your gameplay, then sure (as long as you document it). But if it is central to your game, no.
And what is meant by "central"? I wanted to make an FPS-style game. It doesn't make sense to write a new mod that adds firearms when there is already one that does the job, everything else will be made from scratch, but having to write a gun mod will likely make this a lot harder :/

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

MHL wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 00:37
GreenXenith wrote:
MHL wrote:
And what is meant by "central"? I wanted to make an FPS-style game. It doesn't make sense to write a new mod that adds firearms when there is already one that does the job, everything else will be made from scratch, but having to write a gun mod will likely make this a lot harder :/
If the entire plot of your game is shooting a gun at nothing in particular, then it would be considered "central" because your game revolves entirely around these guns. In such a case you would have to make your own gun mod.

I would hope your game actually has something to shoot at and more mechanics than just point-and-shoot. If you could hypothetically swap out ranged_weapons for some other gun mod without too much work, I wouldn't consider it "central".

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

I would err on the side of caution and use ranged_weapons' API (if it has one), but include your own guns and textures. That way it can't be considered central without taking into account your own work on it, and it'll fit better into a cohesive mold.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

MCL

by MCL » Post

GreenXenith wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 00:50
MHL wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 00:37
GreenXenith wrote:

If the entire plot of your game is shooting a gun at nothing in particular, then it would be considered "central" because your game revolves entirely around these guns. In such a case you would have to make your own gun mod.

I would hope your game actually has something to shoot at and more mechanics than just point-and-shoot. If you could hypothetically swap out ranged_weapons for some other gun mod without too much work, I wouldn't consider it "central".
Yes, it would be a game where you battle other players.You would have to compete for resources and whoever doesn't die wins. I would likely modify most of the textures to better fit the overall theme of the game.

GitHub: Der1248
In-game: 1248 or Der1248

by 1248 » Post

Hello everyone. A game competition is such a great idea.
Here you can get some information about my game for the minetest GAME JAM and also test a first preview version.
I will always update all changes as quickly as possible, so be sure to check back in the next few days.

kuboid
IRC: kuboid
In-game: kuboid

by kuboid » Post

Hello all,

also from me, nice idea! I also would have liked to join but I only found all this too late. Actually, the event cannot be seen when you open mintest.net. I only found it by coincedence when checking ContentDB (there is a banner).
Maybe I will compete in the next event (I have had a nice idea for quite some time already) but now there is just too little time to get all the MT-gamemaking skills when you have a family, and shortly before Christmas...

But I will watch the competition and the competing games. Keep on :-D

GreenXenith

Re: 2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$700+ prize pool] [IT HAS BEGUN]

by GreenXenith » Post

I've tweaked to the top post to have the correct end date. You have through the 21st to submit your games, so it ends 00:00UTC 22nd. In the future we'll just specify times explicitly with 23:59 or something :P

GreenXenith

Re: 2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$700+ prize pool] [IT HAS BEGUN]

by GreenXenith » Post

3 days remain! Start wrapping up and submit whatever you have before Dec 22 (UTC), even if it isn't quite done (mark as WIP).
Make sure to add your packages and releases to the ContentDB with the Jam / Game 2021 tag!

carlos_rupp

by carlos_rupp » Post

Please a rule forbidden alterations in the game between 22 dec. and 30 dec.

runs

by runs » Post

I support this contest because it is good for the community, of course.

But ContentDB is going to be flooded with games of low or dubious quality. Let's be serious, 20 days doesn't give time to make something decent. And the problem is publishing on ContentDB.

Before, games were difficult to make, now there will be games made in 20 days, game-poopers.

The problem of all this is that they will be available in ContentDB, people will download them, will see that they are crap and will delete them. Ergo they will say: "Most Minetest games are bad."

Juanchi-advice: In the future let's make quality contests, with time for quality.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

runs wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 19:35
Let's be serious, 20 days doesn't give time to make something decent. And the problem is publishing on ContentDB.

Before, games were difficult to make, now there will be games made in 20 days, game-poopers.
In Ludum Dare, games are created in 2 days or 3 days. 20 is a vastly longer time to create a game in. It's perfectly possible to make a decent game with Minetest in that time - the key is to keep the scope low
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Hugues Ross
Developer
GitHub: Df458

by Hugues Ross » Post

Don't worry, CDB already had some poops on display. Personally, I'm happy to see something that incentivizes people to make something different from the usual fare. I also don't see anything wrong with folks expanding and updating their games after the jam's over, no-one said these games could never be worked on again.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Hugues Ross wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 22:44
Don't worry, CDB already had some poops on display. Personally, I'm happy to see something that incentivizes people to make something different from the usual fare. I also don't see anything wrong with folks expanding and updating their games after the jam's over, no-one said these games could never be worked on again.
100% this. We need more games with interesting mechanics, rather than mod soups and blocky mining sandboxes
Game jams are really good at incubating interesting mechanics
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

A little more than 2 hours remain! Finish up and add your submissions to the ContentDB with the Jam / Game 2021 tag, even if you aren't quite done yet (just mark as WIP)!

carlos_rupp

by carlos_rupp » Post

GreenXenith wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 21:53
A little more than 2 hours remain! Finish up and add your submissions to the ContentDB with the Jam / Game 2021 tag, even if you aren't quite done yet (just mark as WIP)!
I made this.

crabycowman123
GitHub: crabycowman123
IRC: crabycowman123
In-game: crabycowman123

by crabycowman123 » Post

I think I submitted, but I'm not sure I did it correctly, and I couldn't figure out the git repository stuff. Can I add a repository later?
cdb_25eddf37fd15

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I’m actually participating as well. I hastily submitted my own game on ContentDB right before the deadline. It was a wild day today … xD

I wonder what the other games will be like.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Work time for the 2021 Minetest GAME JAM is OVER! BUT ... you have an extra hour to get your packages submitted for review (or fix any huge bugs you missed). We are also using the time to comb over submissions to make sure everyone can get their packages approved.

When packages are approved in in an hour, it will be time for you to go play and review submissions at https://content.minetest.net/packages/? ... _game_2021!

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: 2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$700+ prize pool] [1hr for submissions]

by Wuzzy » Post

OK, thanks. I should take the extra hour to clarify licensing stuff as well, let's hope I can document it all in time.

GreenXenith

Re: 2021 Minetest GAME JAM [December 1st-21st] [$720 prize pool] [PLAY and RATE!]

by GreenXenith » Post

Submission time for the game jam is officially done! You now have 10 days to play and review submissions! https://content.minetest.net/packages/? ... 1&random=1
We've received a total of 24 submissions (so far, some reviews pending)! That's a lot of games :D Also, the final prize pool is $720! Thank you to all those that contributed to the jam and prize pool!

Adjustments to non-game components such as licensing or CDB technical issues is still allowed. Review time is also subject to possible extension.