Minetest 0.4.11

Topywo

Re: Minetest 0.4.11

by Topywo » Post

dgm5555 wrote:Just a thought, is there any way of installing .10 and .11 on the same Ubuntu system, that way I can have the stable version to play with and still test .11
[EDIT] I just had a really horrible thought, I have no idea how to get back to .10 Can anyone please help with this?

I'm sorry if I misunderstood the question (didn't read the entire topic). If I did understood it correctly:

Most of the time I have multiple builds, because I use run in place (not system wide). It's very easy that way to try out different things. (I also use copies of the same build (after renaming)).

I use the instructions under Github, readme.txt, "Compiling on GNU/Linux:" https://github.com/minetest/minetest

The minetest games are then placed in my home directory and have names like:
minetest-minetest-48fa893
minetest-minetest-3f83ca2

Maybe not the 'best or easiest' way, but it works for me.

To use an older version of minetest, I take a little different approach:

1.) I go to GitHub, minetest. Then click the tab branch:master, then I click the tab Tags and choose 0.4.10, then press the tab 'download zip'.

2.) I go to GitHub, minetest_game and do exactly the same

3.) I extract minetest-4.10.zip in my home/topywo folder

4.) I extract minetest_game-0.4.10.zip in the folder home/topywo/minetest-4.10/games

5.) Then I go to the folder /home/topywo/minetest-0.4.10, press 'Tools' of the file manager and choose 'Open Current Folder in Terminal':

6.) Then I repeat the last 2 steps from the readme.txt:
- cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=1
- make -j2

And it works (for me :-) ) (I have the feeling there are smarter, more efficient, technical more polished ways, but it works)

Edit: Typo's

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

Brilliant Thanks
@TenPlus1 I was running the stable version .11. But because of the bugs I want to go back from the stable .11 to the .10, but the base ppa reference is exactly the same. I only upgraded the other day but have found it really doesn't agree with my system, so wish to go back.

However on the offchance I tried to install the daily with:-

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove minetest && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:minetestdevs/daily-builds && sudo apt-get install minetest && sudo apt-get update
Unfortunately it still has the same bugs (the most major of which is no ability to configure mods due to the above error.

I thought that because .10 had a different name, there might be a quick way of installing it from the ppa.

EDIT:
I've tried Calinou's one line script to install from the git, but also has same error (no surprise there).
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3837
I'm not sure how to redirect the git call in the script to 0.4.10 as it wasn't listed as an actual branch, so I've decided I've spent enough time on it and will wait until the bug is fixed. Thanks for all your help and advice.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

The errors about unassigned warning can just be ignored (it shouldn't be in the chat console any more, just in the terminal). Try updating the mods mentioned or report them.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

Perhaps they're not supposed to be, but they are.
Oh yeah, and I've just notice the moon has a different texture than normal. Presumably because a .png in one of the mods is called moon.png. In other words every texture name in minetest must now be unique. How buggy is that!!!
I really want .10 back :-(
Last edited by dgm5555 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 13:04, edited 1 time in total.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

dgm5555 wrote:Perhaps they're not supposed to be, but they are.
Oh yeah, and I've just notice the moon has a different texture than normal. How buggy is that!!!
I really want .10 back :-(
Just remove a single line from the init.lua file in builtin\
https://gist.github.com/SmallJoker/1e3186392508b4176df2
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

YAY. Figured out how to reinstall .10
Found the archive:-
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/releases
extracted to ~
The old minetest_game is availabe in same way: https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/releases
and extracted to minetest/games
Deleted the bit from the one line install which downloads current versions

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install git build-essential libirrlicht-dev libgettextpo0 libfreetype6-dev cmake libbz2-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev libxxf86vm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libopenal-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libluajit-5.1-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libleveldb-dev; cd; cd minetest/games; cd ..; cmake . -DENABLE_GETTEXT=1 -DENABLE_FREETYPE=1 -DENABLE_LEVELDB=1; make -j$(grep -c processor /proc/cpuinfo); sudo make install; minetest; echo -e "\n\n\e[1;33mYou can run Minetest again by typing \"minetest\" in a terminal or selecting it in an applications menu.\nYou can install mods in ~/.minetest/mods, too.\e[0m"
All that stress and it was so easy all along!!

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

you have a map as moon? cool, I see oceans on your moon :D
I only have a saturn pacing the skies. Where was that map residing in that it over ruled the default texture?

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

twoelk wrote:you have a map as moon? cool, I see oceans on your moon :D
I only have a saturn pacing the skies. Where was that map residing in that it over ruled the default texture?
a .png in my mapit mod is called moon.png after I created a world called moon which got mapped automatically. On my 0.4.10 it doesn't override though looks like it probably should have: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9140.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

dgm5555 wrote:
twoelk wrote:you have a map as moon? cool, I see oceans on your moon :D
a .png in my mapit mod is called moon.png after I created a world called moon which got mapped automatically. On my 0.4.10 it doesn't override though looks like it probably should have: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9140.
hehe, scroll a little up to see my saturn contribution to that thread.
Yet I still wonder how minetest got them files mixed. This should only happen if your map was in some texture path, which makes me presume you have an automatic mapper that saves to some texture folder.

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

twoelk wrote:Yet I still wonder how minetest got them files mixed. This should only happen if your map was in some texture path, which makes me presume you have an automatic mapper that saves to some texture folder.
The mod saves the file using the name of the current world, so the path was /home/david/.minetest/mods/mapit/textures/moon.png

Thunder Tiger
In-game: ThunderCorp.

by Thunder Tiger » Post

That's great but when will the era of 0.4.x finish, and the era of 0.5.x START?
Mess with Thunder, Then Prepare to Die.

Here are some of my maps(not interested in mods or Texture packs)
DanTDM's Laboratory:viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10533

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

There is no rush for 0.5.0... Each new stable will be released regardless of the version number...

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

BTW the github readme says:
Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Perttu Ahola <celeron55@gmail.com>
and contributors (see source file comments and the version control log)
I'm presuming this is a bit out of date

Thunder Tiger
In-game: ThunderCorp.

by Thunder Tiger » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:There is no rush for 0.5.0... Each new stable will be released regardless of the version number...
OH,ok but i think if 0.5.x starts, it wold have new blocks and new textures and a hell lot bugs fixed. That's why i was asking for it. :b
Mess with Thunder, Then Prepare to Die.

Here are some of my maps(not interested in mods or Texture packs)
DanTDM's Laboratory:viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10533

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Thunder Tiger wrote:
TenPlus1 wrote:There is no rush for 0.5.0... Each new stable will be released regardless of the version number...
OH,ok but i think if 0.5.x starts, it wold have new blocks and new textures and a hell lot bugs fixed. That's why i was asking for it. :b
No, there probably won't be very many new blocks or textures, unless someone decides to revamp minetest_game
Back from the dead!

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

dgm5555 wrote:BTW the github readme says:
Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Perttu Ahola <celeron55@gmail.com>
and contributors (see source file comments and the version control log)
I'm presuming this is a bit out of date
It is.

Just in case, the years specify when the product was created, not how long the copyright extends for.

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:… the years specify when the product was created, …
And thus a span is pretty useless since actively developed software “gets created” as long at it is being developed :)

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Yeah. That is what the span means. Windows has one of like 1985 - 2015.

Hello profile reader