Minetest 0.4.13

User avatar
kaeza
Member
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 05:00
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by kaeza » Sat Jan 09, 2016 19:04

Don wrote:Do people really think he is evil and trying to destroy the game?

Criticising someone isn't calling them "evil".

I am personally not saying RBA is "evil" on the contrary, I think he does it out of goodness. He's a talented coder and can do wonders with Minetest's graphical features. What I complain about is that he has a record of breaking things on the low end to push high-end features ("eye candy"), and then ignoring users and basically telling them "buy a better machine/graphics card/whatever or GTFO".

My machine is 6 years old and still runs as if it were new. Of course my graphics card can't cope with the latest graphics gimmicks, but that's no excuse to break working stuff.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2
 

User avatar
Don
Member
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 18:40
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by Don » Sat Jan 09, 2016 19:41

I wasn't referring to the constructive criticism. I have seen a number of comments about this. Some even going as far as suggesting RBA put a virus in the code.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here
 

ABJ
Member
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:02
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by ABJ » Sun Jan 10, 2016 08:42

Actually, we were just talking about THAT commit. And no hate for RBA, but we forgot to write anything in appreciation of his other work. We suck. Particularly me, who got pissed off about the fps drop and termed it a "virus". Although I wrote that it was an exaggeration on my part.

EDIT: Blame whoever told whoever told whoever told whoever told rubenwardy about this for the negative attitude I think.
 

User avatar
rubenwardy
Member
 
Posts: 4526
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
Location: United Kingdom
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by rubenwardy » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:28

I got this info from irc and github issues. I was using blame as a specific git terminology, as in the fps drop from a commit by rba that added tangent space vertices or whatever, rather than a social thing. I said "Basically" as there are other factors in play.

I still get 30-60fps so doesn't effect me that much. I like most of rbas work, particularly with the minimap and water shaders. I'm not so keen about normalmaps on the 16x16 textures, as I think they aren't subtle enough. Maybe at higher res they'll look better. However, I don't like rbas attitude of "if it works then who cares how it's made", as that could potentially cause hard to maintain and buggy code

I don't think that the fps drop from the commit is from bad code, but rather the fact the more data needs to be passed around now, which older machines won't like.
 

User avatar
AnxiousInfusion
Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 05:43
GitHub: AnxiousInfusion[GitLab]
IRC: AnxiousInfusion
In-game: AnxiousInfusion

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by AnxiousInfusion » Sun Jan 10, 2016 16:40

Reading IRC, it seems to me the opposite is true. RBA is apparently the only one who knows what this game needs and everyone just fights him 100% of the way.
 

User avatar
Don
Member
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 18:40
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by Don » Sun Jan 10, 2016 17:42

The main reason I said that is because I get tired of people attacking people instead of issues. RBA is not the only one who gets personally attacked. If someone does something that you disagree with then talk about it and see if there can be a solution. By attacking the person instead of the issue you push people away and eventually they will get tired of it and leave the community. Imagine how minetest would advance without RBA. Imagine the mapgen if paramat left. Not only the core team but the mod devs as well.

Ad hominems are a logical fallacy. If we criticize the topic/issue we can come up with solutions. The developers will be more willing to address issues when they are not being insulted. Theoretically the development would advance faster and the code would have less errors since the devs would care more.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here
 

Dragonop
Member
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:59
Location: Argentina
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by Dragonop » Mon Jan 11, 2016 01:12

And always remember that nobody is getting anything from working on minetest, all of them are volunteers and they code because they want, they aren't in the obligation to work in Minetest.
+1 for Don, that explained it perfectly.
 

ABJ
Member
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:02
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by ABJ » Mon Jan 11, 2016 07:57

+100
We get too heated up about issues sometimes. It's about time idiots like me remember that.
 

User avatar
Don
Member
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 18:40
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by Don » Mon Jan 11, 2016 13:02

ABJ wrote:+100
We get too heated up about issues sometimes. It's about time idiots like me remember that.

You are not an idiot for making a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. Like I said before we should address the issue instead of the person even if it is about yourself.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here
 

ABJ
Member
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:02
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by ABJ » Mon Jan 11, 2016 13:18

(Thank you for telling me I am not an idiot :))), but I believe I did address the issue.
ABJ wrote:We get too heated up about issues sometimes.
)
+100 for your good post anyway.
 

User avatar
benrob0329
Member
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 22:39
GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03
 

paramat
Developer
 
Posts: 2702
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 00:05
Location: UK
GitHub: paramat

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by paramat » Mon Feb 08, 2016 07:04

We have just merged a commit by RBA that means vertextangents are only used if shaders are enabled.
With shaders disabled the former 21% drop in FPS is now eliminated.
 

User avatar
philipbenr
Member
 
Posts: 1665
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 01:56
Location: United States
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by philipbenr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 00:25

Don wrote:I am amazed by the negative talk about RBAs work. He has put a lot of time and effort into minetest. Do people really think he is evil and trying to destroy the game?

I don't know what actually happened but I am quite sure that he deserves a lot of respect for the great work he has done. If a mistake was made then give him time to work it out.


+1
 

User avatar
alucard112
New member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 19:23
GitHub: thepolice
IRC: thepolice
In-game: alucard321

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by alucard112 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 18:17

good morning.
I have a problem:
two years ago I started to play minetes in version 0.4.6 and meanwhile out new versions.
I would spend my world and built to version 0.4.14 or 0.4.13.
I have already asked in another forum and I have suggested passing the folder / worlds of the old version to the folder / worlds of the new version. I tried that and it did not work.
seriously immensely I appreciate your help for this as the most recent versions have new and better blocks. especially 0.4.14.
first of all, Thanks.
sorry if some words are misspelled. I only speak Spanish and I'm using google translator.
I appreciate your fast response.
"Ask about Illuminaty"☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻
 

User avatar
srifqi
Member
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 04:31
Location: Indonesia
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by srifqi » Sun Jun 05, 2016 22:46

alucard112 wrote:good morning.
I have a problem:
two years ago I started to play minetes in version 0.4.6 and meanwhile out new versions.
I would spend my world and built to version 0.4.14 or 0.4.13.
I have already asked in another forum and I have suggested passing the folder / worlds of the old version to the folder / worlds of the new version. I tried that and it did not work.
seriously immensely I appreciate your help for this as the most recent versions have new and better blocks. especially 0.4.14.
first of all, Thanks.
sorry if some words are misspelled. I only speak Spanish and I'm using google translator.
I appreciate your fast response.


Are there any error message? What kind of problem that occurs? Can you take some screenshots? Please ask in Bugs and Problems forum. Also, you can ask in Spanish forum.
I'm from Indonesia! Saya dari Indonesia!
Terjemahkan Minetest!
Mods by me. Modifikasi oleh saya.

Pronounce my nick as in: es-rifqi (IPA: /es rifˈki/)
 

User avatar
MineYoshi
Member
 
Posts: 4678
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 13:20
Location: Colombia, Bogota
GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by MineYoshi » Sun Jun 12, 2016 20:52

srifqi wrote:
alucard112 wrote:good morning.
I have a problem:
two years ago I started to play minetes in version 0.4.6 and meanwhile out new versions.
I would spend my world and built to version 0.4.14 or 0.4.13.
I have already asked in another forum and I have suggested passing the folder / worlds of the old version to the folder / worlds of the new version. I tried that and it did not work.
seriously immensely I appreciate your help for this as the most recent versions have new and better blocks. especially 0.4.14.
first of all, Thanks.
sorry if some words are misspelled. I only speak Spanish and I'm using google translator.
I appreciate your fast response.

Are there any error message? What kind of problem that occurs? Can you take some screenshots? Please ask in Bugs and Problems forum. Also, you can ask in Spanish forum.


I answered him in the Spanish Forum...
Exactly what happen?
Minetest don't identify the world or don't show it in the worlds list?
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
It's not playing a simple test alike and mediocre voxel based construction game, it's ENJOYING YOURSELF ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 

ABJ
Member
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:02
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Re: Minetest 0.4.13

by ABJ » Thu Jun 30, 2016 15:24

philipbenr wrote:
Don wrote:I am amazed by the negative talk about RBAs work. He has put a lot of time and effort into minetest. Do people really think he is evil and trying to destroy the game?

I don't know what actually happened but I am quite sure that he deserves a lot of respect for the great work he has done. If a mistake was made then give him time to work it out.


+1


RBA is dead and gone, but before that, he has resolved the cause of our whining.
 

Previous

Return to News



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests