Minetest 0.4.15

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

Re: Minetest 0.4.15

by GreenXenith » Post

Punk wrote:Very good! Very fast version!

In Ubuntu 16.04 I tried sudo apt-get install minetest and install 0.4.13. How should I do?
Make sure you add the ppa (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:minetestdevs/stable) and then run the command.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

Punk

by Punk » Post

GreenDimond wrote:
Punk wrote:Very good! Very fast version!

In Ubuntu 16.04 I tried sudo apt-get install minetest and install 0.4.13. How should I do?
Make sure you add the ppa (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:minetestdevs/stable) and then run the command.
I used $ sudo snap install minetest-luk3yx.
It's ok?

Thanks!

taikedz
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

by taikedz » Post

Not sure who packages minetest for snappy (if anyone at all) - havent seen any mention before. So if it didnt work then probably no, not ok yet.

The supported ways to get the latest is to use the PPA or to compile it yourself

Chibi ghost
In-game: Ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

Chibi ghost wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:
has there been any changes to the time it takes wheat to grow I'm having problems growing it and I want to know if it's a me problem or feature of the new minetest
Yes, the farming plant growth mechanic has been completely reworked (see Minetest Game commit 70ef7864c1533cc50ef1da95985ff6b741778066).
According to the commit description, the growth should be now slightly shorter. A fully-grown wheat or cotton plant will now take 2-3 game days or ca. 1 h in real time, if I can believe the description. There's still an element of chance involved, so not all plants grow equally fast.
If your plants don't grow at all then you either found a very embarrassing bug in Minetest Game or you forget something. But the farming gameplay mechanic hasn't changed at all, only the code for growth; this is mostly only an internal change. See also: http://wiki.minetest.net/Wheat_(plant)
I planted the wheat over 2 minetest weeks ago and still no crop I have deleted the game first saving planet ghost in a separate file and am going to re-download minetest and see if it works and I can farm properly
problem sort of solved I can't use my 14.14 game and move it to 14.15 this is irritating is there anyway of making minetest backwards compatible to maps created on previous versions of minetest or at least to the last update

Alcyone
IRC: Alcyone
In-game: Alcyone

by Alcyone » Post

Chibi ghost wrote:problem sort of solved I can't use my 14.14 game and move it to 14.15 this is irritating is there anyway of making minetest backwards compatible to maps created on previous versions of minetest or at least to the last update
I wonder if it would be possible to create a king of lauchncher letting the player choosing the Minetest version he wants to play to keep compatibility when it is needed (yes like Minecraft). Sure it raises some other problem like for mod versions too.
-- Alcyone --

Website with french articles on MT : alcyone.toile-libre.org

Echoes91
In-game: Echoes

by Echoes91 » Post

Very well done developers!
I hope to come back maintaining my little content soon, even if such a good work on default could make my subgame obsolete some day :D

taikedz

by taikedz » Post

Chibi ghost wrote:problem sort of solved I can't use my 14.14 game and move it to 14.15 this is irritating is there anyway of making minetest backwards compatible to maps created on previous versions of minetest or at least to the last update
Minetest 0.4.* farming should be backwards compatible already...

Version number should not be relevant, the ABM for wheat growing hasn't really changed all that much far as I can see.... what did you do to "sort of solve" the issue....?
Alcyone wrote: wonder if it would be possible to create a king of lauchncher letting the player choosing the Minetest version he wants to play to keep compatibility when it is needed (yes like Minecraft). Sure it raises some other problem like for mod versions too.
On Linux, you can already choose your version of MT to be run -- by compiling it yourself. (On WIndows, just download the corresponding "portable" ZIP for each version). The instructions are fairly straightforward for compiling, you'll just need to git-clone a copy and git-branch to the state from around 15th of May 2016 to get 0.4.14. You can git-branch to stable-0.4 to get the latest of the series I think (currently 0.4.15)

If you want to create a way to automate all this, and slap a handy picker in front of it, that would be interesting too.

I wouldn't encourage/ask trying to make minetest installable in different versions on the same Linux via package management.

Chibi ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

I moved my world from 04.14 on which it was created to 04.15 then found out the wheat and cotton didn't grow
to fix the problem I moved the world back from 15 to 14 which I re-downloaded
and I run minetest from windows 10 and I am not that technical about program management

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Chibi ghost wrote:I moved my world from 04.14 on which it was created to 04.15 then found out the wheat and cotton didn't grow
and I run minetest from windows 10 and I am not that technical about program management
Were the plants planted in 0.4.14 or 0.4.15? How long did you wait?
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Interesting, on Liberty Land there was something like that too. I don't know if he fixed it.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

If plants are not growing at all (e.g. a whole day without going through a growth phase) then you can try re-arming the nodetimers for all plants:

1) shutdown the server
2) on the server, edit `env_meta.txt`, and remove the entire line that starts with `lbm_introduction_times = `
3) start the server again

Chibi ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Chibi ghost wrote:I moved my world from 04.14 on which it was created to 04.15 then found out the wheat and cotton didn't grow
Were the plants planted in 0.4.14 or 0.4.15? How long did you wait?
the plants were planted in 15 and I waited almost a minetest month and then they only grew when I moved the map back to 14
I even created two worlds to test the crop growth one vanilla no mods and one with all my mods loaded to see if
if there was a issue with the mods and the main game

Chibi ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

sofar wrote:If plants are not growing at all (e.g. a whole day without going through a growth phase) then you can try re-arming the nodetimers for all plants:

1) shutdown the server
2) on the server, edit `env_meta.txt`, and remove the entire line that starts with `lbm_introduction_times = `
okay I have some learning issues so please bear with me I think this is the file so please high light the area in bold for me to delete thank you
day_count = 176
game_time = 172768
last_clear_objects_time = 0
lbm_introduction_times = :doors:replace_doors_door_glass~0;:doors:replace_doors_door_obsidian_glass~0;:doors:replace_doors_door_steel~0;:doors:replace_doors_door_wood~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door10~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door11~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door12~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door13~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door1_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door2_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door3~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door4~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door5~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door6_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door7_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door8_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door9~0;:doors:replace_my_cottage_doors_door1_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_cottage_doors_door2~0;:doors:replace_my_default_doors_door1_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_default_doors_door2_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_default_doors_door3_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_default_doors_door4_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_default_doors_door5_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door1_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door2~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door3~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door4_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door5_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door6_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door7_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door8_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_door_grey~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorbookshelf~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorbrick~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorchest~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorcobble~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doordesert_cobble~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorfurnace~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorstone~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorstone_brick~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorwood~0;:doors:replace_my_misc_doors_door1~0;:doors:replace_my_misc_doors_door2~0;:doors:replace_my_misc_doors_door3_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_misc_doors_door4_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_misc_doors_door5~0;:doors:replace_my_old_doors_door1_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_old_doors_door2_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_old_doors_door3_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_old_doors_door4_locked~0;:doors:replace_doors_japanese_door~6153;:doors:replace_doors_prison_door~6153;:doors:replace_doors_rusty_prison_door~6153;:doors:replace_doors_screen_door~6153;:doors:replace_doors_slide_door~6153;:doors:replace_doors_woodglass_door~6153;fishing:remove_sandy~33115;:farming:start_nodetimer_cotton~81964;:farming:start_nodetimer_wheat~81964;default:3dtorch~81964;default:convert_saplings_to_node_timer~81964;xpanes:gen2~81964;:doors:replace_castle_jail_door~163850;:doors:replace_castle_oak_door~163850;moretrees:convert_existing_cocos_palms_to_regrow_coconuts~163850;moretrees:restart_coconut_regrow_timer~163850;moretrees:restart_dates_regrow_timer~163850;:agriculture:start_nodetimer_carrot~165258;:agriculture:start_nodetimer_corn~165258;:agriculture:start_nodetimer_strawberry~165258;:agriculture:start_nodetimer_sugar_beet~165258;:agriculture:start_nodetimer_tomato~165258;
lbm_introduction_times_version = 1
time_of_day = 8333
EnvArgsEnd

KCoombes
In-game: Knatt

by KCoombes » Post

Chibi ghost wrote:
sofar wrote:If plants are not growing at all (e.g. a whole day without going through a growth phase) then you can try re-arming the nodetimers for all plants:

1) shutdown the server
okay I have some learning issues so please bear with me I think this is the file so please high light the area in bold for me to delete thank you
day_count = 176
game_time = 172768
lbm_introduction_times = :doors:replace_doors_door_glass~0;:doors:replace_doors_door_obsidian_glass~0;:doors:replace_doors_door_steel~0;:doors:replace_doors_door_wood~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door10~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door11~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door12~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door13~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door1_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door2_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door3~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door4~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door5~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door6_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door7_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door8_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_castle_doors_door9~0;:doors:replace_my_cottage_doors_door1_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_cottage_doors_door2~0;:doors:replace_my_default_doors_door1_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_default_doors_door2_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_default_doors_door3_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_default_doors_door4_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_default_doors_door5_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door1_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door2~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door3~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door4_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door5_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door6_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door7_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_fancy_doors_door8_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_door_grey~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorbookshelf~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorbrick~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorchest~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorcobble~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doordesert_cobble~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorfurnace~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorstone~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorstone_brick~0;:doors:replace_my_hidden_doors_hidden_doorwood~0;:doors:replace_my_misc_doors_door1~0;:doors:replace_my_misc_doors_door2~0;:doors:replace_my_misc_doors_door3_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_misc_doors_door4_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_misc_doors_door5~0;:doors:replace_my_old_doors_door1_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_old_doors_door2_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_old_doors_door3_locked~0;:doors:replace_my_old_doors_door4_locked~0;:doors:replace_doors_japanese_door~6153;:doors:replace_doors_prison_door~6153;:doors:replace_doors_rusty_prison_door~6153;:doors:replace_doors_screen_door~6153;:doors:replace_doors_slide_door~6153;:doors:replace_doors_woodglass_door~6153;fishing:remove_sandy~33115;:farming:start_nodetimer_cotton~81964;:farming:start_nodetimer_wheat~81964;default:3dtorch~81964;default:convert_saplings_to_node_timer~81964;xpanes:gen2~81964;:doors:replace_castle_jail_door~163850;:doors:replace_castle_oak_door~163850;moretrees:convert_existing_cocos_palms_to_regrow_coconuts~163850;moretrees:restart_coconut_regrow_timer~163850;moretrees:restart_dates_regrow_timer~163850;:agriculture:start_nodetimer_carrot~165258;:agriculture:start_nodetimer_corn~165258;:agriculture:start_nodetimer_strawberry~165258;:agriculture:start_nodetimer_sugar_beet~165258;:agriculture:start_nodetimer_tomato~165258;
time_of_day = 8333
EnvArgsEnd

Alcyone
IRC: Alcyone
In-game: Alcyone

by Alcyone » Post

taikedz wrote:
Alcyone wrote: wonder if it would be possible to create a king of lauchncher letting the player choosing the Minetest version he wants to play to keep compatibility when it is needed (yes like Minecraft). Sure it raises some other problem like for mod versions too.
On Linux, you can already choose your version of MT to be run -- by compiling it yourself. (On WIndows, just download the corresponding "portable" ZIP for each version). The instructions are fairly straightforward for compiling, you'll just need to git-clone a copy and git-branch to the state from around 15th of May 2016 to get 0.4.14. You can git-branch to stable-0.4 to get the latest of the series I think (currently 0.4.15)

If you want to create a way to automate all this, and slap a handy picker in front of it, that would be interesting too.

I wouldn't encourage/ask trying to make minetest installable in different versions on the same Linux via package management.
Understood :) not really easy for me at the moment though
-- Alcyone --

Website with french articles on MT : alcyone.toile-libre.org

Chibi ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

KCoombes wrote:
Chibi ghost wrote:

1) shutdown the server
day_count = 176
game_time = 172768
time_of_day = 8333
EnvArgsEnd
it works thank you very much Image

Punk

by Punk » Post

taikedz wrote:Not sure who packages minetest for snappy (if anyone at all) - havent seen any mention before. So if it didnt work then probably no, not ok yet.

The supported ways to get the latest is to use the PPA or to compile it yourself
Oh, I forgot to say.... I saw it here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=16088

taikedz

by taikedz » Post

Punk wrote:
taikedz wrote:Not sure who packages minetest for snappy (if anyone at all) - havent seen any mention before. So if it didnt work then probably no, not ok yet.

Oh, I forgot to say.... I saw it here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=16088
In which case if it is not working it would be better to report there. This thread knows nothing of the snap ;-)

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

BBmine wrote:Nice! When will it be ready for download in the Debian packaging system? Right now it's still at 0.4.14.
It's ready now!

trev
In-game: trev

by trev » Post

Awesome!

I just want to highlight how important it is that we have such an open and powerful game and engine, with source code, all for free. Minetest was the first computer game I ever played on my homebuilt desktop, on Ubuntu. It was also the first game I set out to modify and customize.

Great job everyone!
Do what you love, and you will love what you do! :)

spiral8

by spiral8 » Post

I am really enjoying this build, thank you. I'm not sure if this is a regression, so I'm posting it here just in case: I can no longer use shaders, even though it seems my graphics card (GeForce 9600 GT) supports them. I was able to use shaders in an earlier build. Any advice on troubleshooting this? I'm on Ubuntu 14.04. Thank you.

BirgitLachner
In-game: Bibs

by BirgitLachner » Post

I just flied a bit around in a new created World with mgv7 in 0.4.15

New features are nice but I have some things, that I want to say ;-)

1.) Bush-Stems should not be used to produce planks. It makes more sense to make sticks out of them.
2.) The Bush-Leaves do not disappear when the stem is taken away. Shouldn't it behave like with the tree that the leaves disappear?
3.) For floating island I can change the settings ... okay ... but when the trees are created before caves are created it can happen that a tree is growing in the air. Well, there was stone at one side, but it looks a bit wired.
4.) In cold areas the water is frozen, that's okay. But it is then frozen from the water surface to the ground. So you can have single stone ice pillars with liquid water around.
I do remember that on an older world, there was a layer of ice over the sea in cold areas and under it the water was still liquid. This looks a bit better in my opinion.
5.) I understand, that some things only happen, if the player is close to it (the ABM things). May be that's the reason why water, that flows down in caves or dungeon, starts flowing down when I came close to the caves. That's a bit strange that the water starts suddenly, when I come close to it. May be, water needs to react earlier, if a player comes close to it. I know that flowing water needs more calculation power but may be it could be connected to the view range. Longer view range, bigger range to ABMs to act, too!?

Nethertheless, thanks a lot for all the efforts of the developer.

taikedz

by taikedz » Post

I have an {answer to/opinion on} some of those :-)
BirgitLachner wrote:1.) Bush-Stems should not be used to produce planks. It makes more sense to make sticks out of them.
I agree on that one!
BirgitLachner wrote:2.) The Bush-Leaves do not disappear when the stem is taken away. Shouldn't it behave like with the tree that the leaves disappear?
Think of a regular low bush; if you remove the stem, the leaves could maintain themselves in shape. So I think this makes sense...?
BirgitLachner wrote:4.) In cold areas the water is frozen, that's okay. But it is then frozen from the water surface to the ground. So you can have single stone ice pillars with liquid water around.
I do remember that on an older world, there was a layer of ice over the sea in cold areas and under it the water was still liquid. This looks a bit better in my opinion.
DELETE - Probably depends on the temperature... I think there are both "glacier" and "frozen sea" biomes (need to check the code in default's mapgen) so the frozen-all-the-way-down areas could be glacier. To be checked maybe...
BirgitLachner wrote:5.) I understand, that some things only happen, if the player is close to it (the ABM things). May be that's the reason why water, that flows down in caves or dungeon, starts flowing down when I came close to the caves. That's a bit strange that the water starts suddenly, when I come close to it. May be, water needs to react earlier, if a player comes close to it. I know that flowing water needs more calculation power but may be it could be connected to the view range. Longer view range, bigger range to ABMs to act, too!?
DELETE - Water flowing (adding water_flowing nodes around water_source) seems to be ABM-based. I don't think it would be a good idea to make an exception for liquids, separating them from ABMs.

For the effect to kick in further away from the player, set "active_block_range" to 3 or greater. From the minetest.conf.example file:

Code: Select all

#    How large area of blocks are subject to the active block stuff, stated in mapblocks (16 nodes).
#    In active blocks objects are loaded and ABMs run.
#    type: int
# active_block_range = 3
So if the active range is = 1, then only ABMs in the current 16x16x16 nodes block will fire around the player. If it is 3, then the current block, plus two blocks to the north, south, east, west, above and below will fire.

That's more like (5^3 * 16^3). At least I think that's the range.

3 is probably what you want on a local game; I have it at 2 on my servers which are low to medium grade. If you have a really powerful server, maybe set it at 5 or 6? Exponential rules apply ;-)
Last edited by taikedz on Fri Jan 13, 2017 23:25, edited 2 times in total.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Bushes were added to provide wood for a tool if you spawn far from a forest, so they have to provide a wood plank.

The bush leaves don't decay because the nodes are intended to also be usable for hedges, ornamental hedges or hedge mazes. It also reduces load on the already intensive leafdecay ABM.

Trees are only ever placed on ground, but because large caves 'overgenerate' they can extend beyond a mapchunk border into a previously generated mapchunk and remove the ground from below a tree.

In mgv6 the iceshelf is quite thin so you usually get water underneath. In all other mapgens it is 10 nodes thick so you only get water underneath in deeper ocean.

Water is not by ABM. It reacts as fast as it can, but liquids processing is very intensive so sometimes it takes a while to start reflowing.

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

I can't wait to update the game on my computer!
Look at that, a signiture box! To bad I have nothing to put in i-... Wait...