Minetest 0.4.15

taikedz
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

Re: Minetest 0.4.15

by taikedz » Post

paramat wrote:Water is not by ABM. It reacts as fast as it can, but liquids processing is very intensive so sometimes it takes a while to start reflowing.
Hmm. I could have sworn it was, but hey, your word is closer to Law than my meagre opinions... thanks for clarifying.

Does this mean water processing is done on all loaded blocks, same reach as ABM (just not via ABM), or is there a separate metric/setting to determine how far away water processing gets done?

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Well, water is not updated by Lua ABM, and the update range around the player is possibly larger than 3 blocks (the setting for Lua ABMs).

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Where. Is. The. CHANGELOG!!?!?!
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

taikedz
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

by taikedz » Post

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

My humble policy suggestion:
- Any new PRs which include noteworthy new features and/or bugfixes MUST include an edit to changelog.txt to be accepted into Minetest.

Rationale: The author of said feature knows best, and it is way easier to add the changelog entry right after the feature has been added. If devs wait months for updating the changelog, they will collectively forget most stuff, which makes writing the changelog much harder. And I suspect nobody wants to go wade through 1000s of commits, which would explain why there's still no official changelog after nearly a month.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Paramat, you told what you will add simple mobs default, but in version 0.4.15 they don`t have there

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Optional mobs are intended, but these require a huge amount of work, we never said they will be ready for 0.4.15, i expect more than a year away.

Chibi ghost
In-game: Ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

frankly I like the mobs being a optional choice
I like being able to choose which mob I want to use

Damned

by Damned » Post

paramat wrote: The bush leaves don't decay because the nodes are intended to also be usable for hedges, ornamental hedges or hedge mazes. It also reduces load on the already intensive leafdecay ABM.
I know on 4.14. if you built a wooden structure using trunks and found a tree in the way that needed clearing, then the leaves of that tree wouldn't decay to a distance of 5 block I think it was. The only way for the leaves to decay was to remove the trunks from the structure, then they'd go. So if anyone wanted a hedge 3 blocks high, perfect for a maze, they could dig down 2 blocks, lay a line of trunks, cover them with dirt or what ever, then add the leaves and they wouldn't disappear, No need for leaves that don't disappear, just fills the inventory with thing you don't really want.

Damned

by Damned » Post

I'm having some problems with the included boost carts. It seems to be having a problem recognising powered rails plus it seems to have more of a problem with speed that 4.14. I run a local private server just for family. After upgrading, I removed the boost cart mod as it's no longer needed, but when I try to use the cart and it runs over powered rails it no longer gets a boost. To climb through a tunnel I laid 2 boosts out of every 10, on the flat I laid 3 for every 25 (3 powered, 22 unpowered) and that worked fine, kept a constant speed. Any more and the cart would start jumping around as it couldn't keep up with the changes. Now after upgrading to 4.15 it runs over 2 powered rails but doesn't get a boost, but it does when it hits the 3rd powered rail. Then it can't seem to cope with the increase in speed and starts jumping as it resets to the last know position. It seems to be really struggling to cope with a change in position, even when doing it by hand. I've tried a few tests and it just seems to be having 4.15 running as the server. Going back to 4.14 and it's fine except for the constant crashes from not being able to save env_meta.txt.

Damned

by Damned » Post

I'll take that back. It still crashes with failed to write env_meta.txt.

u34

by u34 » Post

paramat wrote:Optional mobs are intended, but these require a huge amount of work, we never said they will be ready for 0.4.15, i expect more than a year away.
what is the best modpack or mod-framework?
I dont know it exactly right now!
maybe mobs-redo has many animals and a good amount of animals&monsters from other distributors.
but there are another good modpacks in development and out-of-date!

a good API and written in c++ instead of code in LUA...
I use mobs_mc, because the animals&monsters are like mostly from minecraft!
But there are so many mobs for this framework!

But a good mobpack/framework should be done for minetest by default in the near future!

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

> So if anyone wanted a hedge 3 blocks high, perfect for a maze, they could dig down 2 blocks, lay a line of trunks, cover them with dirt or what ever, then add the leaves and they wouldn't disappear,

That would need leafdecay with radius 4 which is intenseive, bush leaves are only 1 node away from the bush stem so their leafdecay would be set to 1 node radius.
We're considering bush leaf decay now. Like tree leaves, player-placed leaves would have a function that stops them from decaying (setting param2 to 1).

Punk

by Punk » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Very, very brief and horribly incomplete summary of Minetest Game updates
  • Stone Block, Sandstone Block, Desert Stone Block, Obsidian Block (+ slabs and stairs)
I did not quite understand the purpose. Are they just decorative?

Why can not I turn a block of stone into stones?

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

Punk wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:Very, very brief and horribly incomplete summary of Minetest Game updates
  • Stone Block, Sandstone Block, Desert Stone Block, Obsidian Block (+ slabs and stairs)
I did not quite understand the purpose. Are they just decorative?

Why can not I turn a block of stone into stones?
normal stone breaks into cobble when you dig it, so you have to cook it again.
the stone block is an alternative decorative building block which does not break.

you cannot convert it back or craft it into something else, since it has the same purpose as the stone brick.
the difference between the two is the texture.
stone bricks are made of smaller stone blocks, stone blocks are huge polished stones. (like smooth stone in minecr*ft)
=(^.^)=
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Yes, I'm pretty these blocks are only for decorative purposes, to make nice floor tilings and whatnot.
No, they can NOT be crafted or cooked back to their original form. Because the developers said so. xD

Maybe an interesting (and unintentional) side effect is that mobs added by mob mods won't spawn on these, compared to their original form (e.g. stone monsters spawn on stone, but not stone blocks).

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

I just intalled v0.4.15.

First question. Why don't I see till the horizon? In 0.4.14 I could. Button "R" -- enable full vew range -- is pressed.

Image Image
Last edited by Sergey on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:01, edited 1 time in total.

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

Second question. Where are privileges I had in singleplayer? In particular, teleport and home. Now I have only basic: interact and shout (very useful in singleplayer, yeah).

u34

by u34 » Post

Sergey wrote:Second question. Where are privileges I had in singleplayer? In particular, teleport and home. Now I have only basic: interact and shout (very useful in singleplayer, yeah).
chat-command for singleplayer:

/grantme all

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

cHyper wrote:
Sergey wrote:Second question. Where are privileges I had in singleplayer? In particular, teleport and home. Now I have only basic: interact and shout (very useful in singleplayer, yeah).
chat-command for singleplayer:

/grantme all
Okay, what about viewing range?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I was responsible for the privilege changes. Here's the rationale: Teleport and home (and some other) privileges were disabled by default for singleplayer because they are considered to be “cheaty” and also caused troubles with mods which heavily depend on privileges, like Unified Inventory. Unified Inventory, for instance, made it WAY too easy to teleport, set the time and even give yourself free stuff in singleplayer (even outside of Creative Mode), basically cheating enabled by default. Now there are way less default privileges, and the Unified Inventory now finally a sane default behaviour. “Cheating” is still possible by using the aforementioned command.

You can change the minimum viewing range with the plus and minus keys. Far view “only” shows everything which has been loaded so far. To my knowledge, it does not affect how new areas are loaded. But changing the viewing range does. Hopefully. Don't take my word for it.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Sergey wrote:I just intalled v0.4.15.

First question. Why don't I see till the horizon? In 0.4.14 I could. Button "R" -- enable full vew range -- is pressed.

Image Image

That area hasn't yet loaded. You need to go there to make it load, and then it will be visible.
Alternatively, there's a setting that makes the range of things to load longer, I forget its name though
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Sergey wrote:I just intalled v0.4.15.

Image Image

That area hasn't yet loaded. You need to go there to make it load, and then it will be visible.
Alternatively, there's a setting that makes the range of things to load longer, I forget its name though
Man, I explored that area completely! Only something 1km away could not be explored! As I said, in 0.4.14 I saw everything till horizon (every tree on far shore!). As you can see, now minimap (in top right corner) shows black area around home! Around damn home, Carl! As if player became very nearsighted!

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

It you see black on your minimap it is not loaded. Doesn't matter if it's been explored in the past or not. You need to visit that area during the current session for the map info to be loaded into your ram.

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I was responsible for the privilege changes. Here's the rationale: Teleport and home (and some other) privileges were disabled by default for singleplayer because they are considered to be “cheaty” and also caused troubles with mods which heavily depend on privileges, like Unified Inventory. Unified Inventory, for instance, made it WAY too easy to teleport, set the time and even give yourself free stuff in singleplayer (even outside of Creative Mode), basically cheating enabled by default. Now there are way less default privileges, and the Unified Inventory now finally a sane default behaviour. “Cheating” is still possible by using the aforementioned command.

You can change the minimum viewing range with the plus and minus keys. Far view “only” shows everything which has been loaded so far. To my knowledge, it does not affect how new areas are loaded. But changing the viewing range does. Hopefully. Don't take my word for it.
On servers with many players it could be "cheating". But not in singleplayer mode, I think.

I hope you will keep that aforementioned command and will not remove it in future.