0.4.16 feature freeze, please help by testing

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

Re: 0.4.16 feature freeze, please help by testing

by kaadmy » Post

@Wuzzy I haven't reported it yet, been busy working on other stuff like fixing my own issues ;)
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

New Lua API functions

by Wuzzy » Post

@all modders: As a quick reminder, here is an incomplete (?) list of new features in the Lua API. Make sure to check them out in lua_api.txt.

Players:
- player:get_attribute(), player:set_attribute(). Set custom player attribute. No more ugly workarounds and files in world directory!
- player:get_clouds(), player:set_clouds(): Set and tweak visible clouds per-player
- minetest.player_exists(): Returns true if player exists in database
- minetest.remove_player (remove player from database if not online)

Nodes:
- minetest.spawn_falling_node
- on_flood callback. Called before liquid floods and destroys a node
- Metadata: meta:mark_as_private. Mark metadata as private so the server does not send it to clients
- minetest.find_node_near: new argument search_center
- Allow meshes and nodeboxes to wave like plants
- New paramtype2: color (and variants)
- New paramtype2: glasslikeliquidlevel

Formspec:
- New element: position
- New element: anchor

Texture modifiers:
- sheet[]

Other:
- Mod Metadata API! (StorageRef). Another way to reduce number of manually-created files
- Fading sounds!

EDIT: Sorry, player collision boxes can not be set in this update. The change has been reverted. It caused to many bugs. :-(
Last edited by Wuzzy on Wed May 31, 2017 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

LordStephen77

Re: New Lua API functions

by LordStephen77 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:@all modders: As a quick reminder, here is an incomplete (?) list of new features in the Lua API. Make sure to check them out in lua_api.txt.

Players:
- player:get_attribute(), player:set_attribute(). Set custom player attribute. No more ugly workarounds and files in world directory!
- Settable player collision box! Authors of creatures mods rejoice!
- player:get_clouds(), player:set_clouds(): Set and tweak visible clouds per-player
- minetest.player_exists(): Returns true if player exists in database
- minetest.remove_player (remove player from database if not online)

Nodes:
- minetest.spawn_falling_node
- on_flood callback. Called before liquid floods and destroys a node
- Metadata: meta:mark_as_private. Mark metadata as private so the server does not send it to clients
- minetest.find_node_near: new argument search_center

Formspec:
- New element: position
- New element: anchor

Texture modifiers:
- sheet[]

Other:
- Mod Metadata API! (StorageRef). Another way to reduce number of manually-created files
- Fading sounds!
Wuzzy, thank you for updating the changelog.

Is that what I think?

Does it mean that you can change the colors of the blocks? Such as glass?

It looks very interesting. When they introduce news into APIs, it's always a very welcome thing.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

LordStephen77, I have not 100% understood everything either. Just read lua_api.txt.

Correction: Player collision boxes can not be set in the upcoming release. The change has been reverted. It caused to many bugs. :-(

LordStephen77

by LordStephen77 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:LordStephen77, I have not 100% understood everything either. Just read lua_api.txt.

Correction: Player collision boxes can not be set in the upcoming release. The change has been reverted. It caused to many bugs. :-(
Thank you for the helpful information. I read about the collision boxes bug you described.

You've been very helpful, these days I work hard with bees and I often read the documentation. I have taken many notes because I have also noticed that the documentation is incomplete or unclear on some aspects.

Thanks Wuzzy :D

Otter
GitHub: InfiniteOtter
In-game: Otter

Really large caverns will show the sun and stars.

by Otter » Post

I am quite impressed with minetest-0.4.15-4d5ce84-win64.7z. I have been going out of my way to try and make it crash. Doing worldedit to make crazy big glass and meselamp structures to try and overload graphics, flying fast over wild terrain and doing 10000 x 10 x 10 edits and flying through them.
Worldedit changes do not take priority over some world generation settings so trees and caves can ignore the world edit till you travel through the area. This I rather expect and I am not sure I would change. The following view shows the result of filling a large area with air and then visiting the area for the first time.

None of these actions were safe in previous builds. They would produce crashes on windows on a regular basis. Now, drawing an image can lag while the terrain is generated but no crash happens.

The only serious flaw I have found is that some of the really large caverns will show the sun and stars.
This picture was taken in a bare bones minetest game valleys with worldedit enabled and the seed 6789012345. This is the view looking up from 0.0, -2596.5, 0.0

by the way, I can still get a crash by defining a 1000x1000x1000 cube in world edit and then issuing the command,
"//mix air air air air air glass obsidian meselamp torch"
I am not complaining. :)
Attachments
Tunnel cut with trees populated in cut
Tunnel cut with trees populated in cut
Tunnel Cut.png (550.28 KiB) Viewed 859 times
Sun shining in large cavern.
Sun shining in large cavern.
00-2596.5-0.0 sun in cave.png (35.72 KiB) Viewed 859 times

LordStephen77

by LordStephen77 » Post

I also tested the last nightly build trying to weigh my building area. I noticed great performance improvements, now do I get the impression that MT only handles the display area (chunk generated in the player's vicinity) and handles memory better?

I used a lot of fly and speed command to fly to the biomass of the jungle and the valley. Now I did not find lag going into the game map. Performance has improved dramatically, and the historic light block bugs (dark blocks that did not light up) were finally fixed.

They did a good job with this version.

Minetest 0.4.16 is a good step forward for this project.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Translators: I think you can expect to see a few new strings on Weblate soon (because of this: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pu ... 15fe9e21ea). Don't miss it.
https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/minetest/minetest/

Otter
GitHub: InfiniteOtter
In-game: Otter

by Otter » Post

I am not sure of the process, but a pre commit test build for us to try and mangle before the final 4.16 build is committed to might be a good thing. That or a second official build to come out in about a week after any bugs are found. There are a lot of changes taking place.

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

I'm having problems editing and fixing mods for subgames and testing them because it keeps on crashing on me.
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!