Minetest exhibited at freenode #Live

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Minetest exhibited at freenode #Live

by rubenwardy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 01:00

This last weekend Shara and I represented Minetest at Freenode's first conference, Freenode #Live.

We consider it a success. We spent both days talking about Minetest to users and developers of open source software. We had a laptop running minetest, a flipbook showing subgames and mods, and leaflets with useful links.

For all of our resources: https://rubenwardy.com/freenode-live/
Also see https://freenode.live and my twitter https://twitter.com/rubenwardy

^ Photo taken after setting up. The boxes to the left are from freenode still setting up. The monitor shows a temporary glitch near the hotbar, fixed soon after the photo was taken :/

^ Some interested attendees, in particular enthusiastic about using Minetest to teach programming. To the right you can see the KDE stall.

^ View from our stall, apologies for the glitches

wilkgr76

GitHub: wilkgr76

Re: Minetest exhibited at Freenode #Live

by wilkgr76 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 03:50

*claps*

I especially like those leaflets :)
N/A

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:24

Thats cool! I wish the title picture from the leaflet would be the first picture on the Minetest website - and not the depressing dark one :)

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:11

Damn! Not a single of my >41 mods made it into the leaflet! :-(
Seems I am just not good enough so far. I think I have to stop modding and cut all contributions immediately, because I obviously suck at it too much. What a waste of time.

Besides, the leaflet does not mention subgames at all. Which is strange.

Anyway, good riddance!
My creations. I gladly accept bitcoins: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:28

There are lots of mods and we simply don't have the money or space to add them all. We tried to choose mods and subgames which were varied and visual. I'm sorry we didn't add any of yours, you do have some suitably visual and different mods. I'll have all the existing pages so will be able to add more next year.

The leaflets were for useful links, and not the sole source of information. I choose not to mention the word subgames at all, as it's a technical detail people won't care about. The leaflet does focus on minetest's ability to completely change the gameplay. I also posted the leaflets on IRC and no one had a problem with them.

Shara

GitHub: ezhh
IRC: Shara

by Shara » Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:46

It's nice when giving up time, effort and money receives such a positive response, Wuzzy.

I had thought any serious contributor who cares about Minetest would be happy that two people were willing to attend such an event at their personal expense to raise more awareness of the game and attempt to get more people involved. Was that unreasonable of me?

Subgames were talked about and two subgames were included in the mods flipbook. We also talked about other mods and modding possibilities in general during the event. (You realise from the screenshots we also had laptops we could show people things with?). Perhaps ask about what else was involved before getting offended next time.

Krock
Developer

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Tue Oct 31, 2017 18:02

That's just great - thank you two for spending your time on this exhibition!
Visuals are indeed the best way to attract people. Other great mods like xban2 or shops (overall) are also quite popular, but less interesting for people who don't know about Minetest at all.

Out of curiosity: About how well visited was the stand? Did you reach about hundred different people - or even more?
>> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Shara

GitHub: ezhh
IRC: Shara

by Shara » Tue Oct 31, 2017 18:28

We did have a few other mods, which included xban2, on our list of things to showcase to begin with, but yes, it just wasn't visual enough. It's the same reason areas wasn't included and protectors was, but that doesn't automatically mean we choose protectors over areas because we think one is better than the other in actual use.

Our mod selection was also more about showing examples of the types of things that are possible, instead of about the best mods MT has.

I'm not sure if we actually spoke to 100 people, but there weren't really many quiet moments. Most who stopped to speak to us stuck about for a while and weren't in any hurry to get away. It probably helped that we had a screen set up and people could play a little. I think in all the activity around our stand seemed to be about the same as around any other I checked.

hajo

by hajo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 19:13

rubenwardy wrote:This last weekend Shara and I represented Minetest at Freenode's first conference, Freenode #Live.

Good work!
Did you catch a bit of what else was going on at that event,
any highlights ?
Do you know about any news/press/blogs/media-coverage ?

sorcerykid

GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Tue Oct 31, 2017 20:37

Very exciting! Glad to hear that it was a success and the response was so positive. That is very encouraging news. Great job!

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 22:16

A big thank you to you both for doing this, very much appreciated.

(Wuzzy your post is so ridiculous it made me laugh, i can't take it seriously =))

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 13:46

Wuzzy wrote:Damn! Not a single of my >41 mods made it into the leaflet! :-(
Seems I am just not good enough so far. I think I have to stop modding and cut all contributions immediately, because I obviously suck at it too much. What a waste of time.

Besides, the leaflet does not mention subgames at all. Which is strange.

Anyway, good riddance!

Alright, alright, some of you (especially paramat) may have already guessed it: I was just messing with you. ;-)
Don't take any of my previous post seriously. That would be dumb. XD

It's good if Minetest + mods are shown to a wider audience, I don't have any problem with Freenode #Live.
My creations. I gladly accept bitcoins: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Thu Nov 02, 2017 19:41

Ah, so this is where the intresting leaflets/printouts rubenwardy showed on a picture belong to :-). They look very well and professionally done. Thank you both for your work! It's very good to see the game beeing introduced to more people.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Return to News