MTGame: 3 hoe types deprecated for eventual removal

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

Re: MTGame: 3 hoe types deprecated for eventual removal

by Fixer » Post

It is one of those weird cases, when you feel weird with all those useless hoes, and now you remove them, but that feel doesn't go away :/

Nutty8
In-game: Nutty8

by Nutty8 » Post

Fixer wrote:It is one of those weird cases, when you feel weird with all those useless hoes, and now you remove them, but that feel doesn't go away :/
You: I need to say goodbye...
Hoes: But we want to stay with you!
You: No... It's hard, but your time has come...
Hoes: Please don't abandon us! We can still be useful!
You: You never were...
(Hoes walking into the recycle bin while crying)

Well, I feel a little sad that the high-tier hoes didn't play a big role in Minetest's gameplay but it's true that the stone ones are the better in cost/effect (you can find cobblestone almost wherever you go!) and think about the durability of steel ones.
In love with Minetest

Teen_Miner
GitHub: LapisWolf
IRC: LapisWolf
In-game: LapisWolf

by Teen_Miner » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 22:12
sorcerykid wrote:my subgame
*game :)

Bronze had a very notable presense in the history of man, before steel or iron. You don't really get this in Minetest Game, as iron is very accessable and immediately gets you steel. A game I'm working on have proper unlocking of recipes and different qualities of furnace - iron requires a hotter furnace to smelt, so the game reflects this.
I think it would've been neat to have copper and tin be abundant enough to where you could make copper tools and then have steel be a later upgrade so that bronze is a more viable option in early to midgame survival. I like the idea of having a bronze toolset and then finally collecting enough iron to level up, especially with armor mods like if you were going from your bronze age to your own iron age. And then, since MESE is relatively rare, have those tools be better in speed, durability and/or damage than diamond. Considering my mindset, I probably would've done this with those hoes too before reading about their deprecation.
cdb_yuId0gpEgnYo

Helen Pixels

by Helen Pixels » Post

Why would someone need a mese or diamond hoe? Sounds like a potential waste of resources. Use your cobble, or steel instead, much cheaper and just as effective. Seriously, 2-3 cobble hoes will give you a quite substantial farm.

iisu
GitHub: iisu
IRC: iisu
In-game: iisu

by iisu » Post

When I first started playing Minetest I was scared of using more expensive materials but over the years I've learned it's a more efficient use of my time. I now use mostly diamond tools, also for hoes for consistency. I'd even argue the mental effort to switch to using a different material when crafting a hoe would be greater than the effort to obtain 2 diamonds, over a large period of time. By the time you need a hoe replacement you'd have stacks of blocks on you.
And there are players who push this playstyle even further, as I've seen mithril hoes in game.

I agree wooden and stone tools are mostly useless, except for pickaxes, but I'd still keep all of them for consistency. And there are rare cases when you've lost all your stuff and need to gather new tools real quick to get it back.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Quick Note: The higher teir hoes are still available in Farming Redo as lucky block drops, just not craftable :)