ContentDB - now with package translation support

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

ContentDB - now with package translation support

by rubenwardy » Post

Minetest now has an in-menu mod/game/texture pack installer. This is powered by a website backend.

Much of package creation is automatic. If you have a GitHub repo for your package, the website will use it to find details and also import screenshot.png.

Users of the Editor rank or above can create and edit packages on behalf of other people.
They're also responsible for approving packages and releases.

A release is a single downloadable version of a package, and is needed so that Minetest detect package updates.

open it here: content.minetest.net

Source Code | Roadmap
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: Content database for in-menu installer - add your things

by Linuxdirk » Post

Looks neat.

I just registered via GitHub account. Creepy that it automatically knew my Forum link, my nick, etc.

Then I wanted to add my cement mod. It properly fetched some of the data and was able to detect the description, title, type, the URLs, etc. but dependencies are blank, and when typing in the dependencies (default and bucket) none shows up. You [c/sh]ould parse depends.txt for that.

Oh, and having the colors inverted would look just awesome but that’s just my personal opinion :)

One question: How are mod updates are handled? Will it work automatically?

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:I just registered via GitHub account. Creepy that it automatically knew my Forum link, my nick, etc.
Everyone who has made at least one mod/game/etc already has an account on website, although it's deactivated. This is done to make it harder for users to grab the accounts of a notable modder, and also to allow editors to create packages on behalf of users that won't ever log in.

You didn't actually register with github, you logged in with github and it saw that the linuxdirk user had a matching github username. If there wasn't an account with a matching github username you would have been redirected to the /user/claim/ page to link your forum account.
Linuxdirk wrote:dependencies are blank, and when typing in the dependencies (default and bucket) none shows up. You [c/sh]ould parse depends.txt for that.
That is planned, however for MTG mods it's a bit tricky. They're not shipped separately, and it doesn't make sense to install them if you're using another subgame. So the current approach should be to just depend on "Minetest Game", imo, I'm up for suggestions though.
Linuxdirk wrote:One question: How are mod updates are handled? Will it work automatically?
Currently releases have to be made manually, but I'd like to add the ability for releases to be created automatically based on tags or daily if rolling release.

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Everyone who has made at least one mod/game/etc already has an account on website, although it's deactivated. This is done to make it harder for users to grab the accounts of a notable modder, and also to allow editors to create packages on behalf of users that won't ever log in.
Cool, nice idea!
rubenwardy wrote:That is planned, however for MTG mods it's a bit tricky. They're not shipped separately, and it doesn't make sense to install them if you're using another subgame.
They might still be needed by them. Especially the giant default “blob” might be needed ... Maybe just don’t overcomplicate it and list the dependencies as they are? Depending on Minetest Game might be a bit over-the-top if the mod just needs “bucket” for example.
rubenwardy wrote:
Linuxdirk wrote:One question: How are mod updates are handled? Will it work automatically?
Currently releases have to be made manually, but I'd like to add the ability for releases to be created automatically based on tags or daily if rolling release.
Since approximately 99 percent of all mods in the database are on GitHub maybe have a look at GitHub’s webhooks?

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Excellent work. Can we call it something more exciting in the end though? I like "Mesehub" :D

Mjollna

by Mjollna » Post

Wow this looks awesome !

The grid display, the screenshots and the tags/search make it very easy to navigate and look for mods, that's great!

christoferlevich
GitHub: ChristoferL

by christoferlevich » Post

This just makes me want to see the release of 0.5.0 even MORE! :D
everything can be a learning experience...

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

I just noticed that the license information is not correct.

The mod is licensed with GPL version 3 but the content database says it’s GPL version 2.1.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

It doesn't currently infer the license, you have to select it yourself

Hello profile reader

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I'll be deleting all dependency information and re-importing from each mod's depends.txt in the next week or so, so don't worry about adding dependency information to any mods.

Also, I've added a poll to help me assess priorities

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:I'll be deleting all dependency information and re-importing from each mod's depends.txt in the next week or so
Sounds great. The information is already available and there is no need to care about this a second time. So the change is useful.
rubenwardy wrote:Also, I've added a poll to help me assess priorities
I voted “other”. My idea: Automate mod updates when fetching mods from a Git source. Maybe in combination with GitHub’s “webhooks” functionality or by manually fetching the latest commit in the given branch and check if it differs from the current commit in the database every X days.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Linuxdirk wrote: The mod is licensed with GPL version 3 but the content database says it’s GPL version 2.1.
Fixed.

As rubenwardy said, there is a dropdown to change the license (this should really be automatic with the rest of it, @rubenwardy).
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

The dependency system has been replaced now. Dependencies are automatically read from depends.txt and such, and you can depend on default.

It's based around meta-packages, here's the farming one for example which can be satisfied by either MTG or farming redo: https://content.minetest.net/metapackages/farming/

Hello profile reader

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

YES! (×100,000,000)

I have immediately added my account and posted my Orienteering mod to test how adding a “thing” works in this system. However, I will refuse to make further additions until further notice (see below).

First, my quick review:

The Good:
  1. Central official place to host all the stuff
  2. Great chance to unite the modding community
  3. Connected with Minetest, was long overdue
  4. Website is very simple, no pointless distractions
  5. Easy to navigate
  6. Core tags with defined meanings
  7. Fast respone times
  8. Links, links everywhere
  9. All important infos at one place
  10. Apparently works without JavaShit (If this is intentional and not just by accident, then THANK YOU! You are a rare species of pure awesomeness)
The Bad:
  1. Search doesn't work at all
  2. Apparently can't enter mods as dependencies which don't exist in the system. If you try, the system silently drops all dependencies it doesn't know
  3. Homepage falsely claims to “all available under a free and open source license.”
    1. It's not a license, but many different licenses, depending on upload
    2. Users are allowed to select CC BY-NC-SA, which is NOT a free software license and NOT a open source license (both OSI and FSF rejected!). There's already one texture pack with this license in the system
    3. Users are allowed to select “Other” license, which opens the door to any proprietary license or no license at all (=fully copyrighted, all rights reserved).
    4. No clear message to authors whether this repo is about 100% free software/open source
  4. No clear distinction between the fields “name” and “title”. Is “name” the “technical name”/“shortname”/“folder name”/“the name you write into mod.conf” (OMG, we really need a proper term for this, it's so sad!)? And how does this differ from “title”?
  5. Texture packs and games apparently have dependencies …?
  6. Datetime is displayed without time zone (use UTC, please)
  7. Entering e-mail into profile does not work, after submitting, the field stays empty, no UI response
The Ugly:
  1. Some fields are redundant and should be avoided:
    1. Screenshot can be parsed from screenshot.png
    2. “Technical name” can be parsed from mod.conf (maybe make this file a requirement)
    3. Dependencies can be parsed from depends.txt (if not existing, assume zero dependencies, but add warning)
  2. No obvious way to depend on default
  3. Entering dependencies is finnicky, both with and without JavaShit enabled. Is it comma-separated list, clicking on every mod with the mouse, …?
  4. Tagging system allows anything to be added as tag, but without definition. Beware of such systems, the tendency to flood the system by thausands of useless or obscure/hard-to-grasp tags is high
  5. Forced GitHub account
  6. Tag input field lacks link to list of definitions of core tags
  7. Input fields for things lack explanation
  8. Tags are valid globally, i.e. tags which only make sense for texture packs can also be used for games and mods
  9. Datetime precision is absurd
  10. Name “Content DB” is too generic, does not have any connection to Minetest
  11. Copyright notice at the bottom makes this look as if rubenwardy is copyright holder of ALL of the content. ;-)
  12. Help is incomplete, should include: How to register, one-two sentence explanations of input fields, links to useful related webpages, markup rules (if there are any), …
  13. No guidelines for long description (this encourages poor, incoherent styles)
  14. Apparently no length cap for short description
About The Ugly, point 3: Compare with Minetest Bower.

Right now, I will avoid adding any more of my things in this website.
Reason: First I would like to hear an official statement about commitment to free software and/or open source software. Is this repository meant for free software / open source software only or not?
The background and logo are terrible and also temporary, they were needed to get coursework marks for photoshopping
I couldn't care less. The website does not look terrible IMO. It's simple and gets its job done. This is most important. Websites are not pieces of art, they are there to get job done. Anything artistic is unimportant.
This website has a logo? I haven't even seen it. XD
Last edited by Wuzzy on Sun May 27, 2018 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Please re-review, I've just changed the dependency system. You can now depend on default. Now it's a comma-separated list for the info, although with JS it doesn't support pasting yet.

Fields are also now hidden if they're not needed.

Also it reads mod.conf and such if you use Github, which the majority of mods do. Adding support for other repos and getting meta from archives isn't going to happen. Not using Github just makes your life harder.

There is length caps on all meta except the long description, it's just done server side currently (there's an issue for that)

There's a bug where search is currently case-sensitive, I'll be fixing that soon.
Wuzzy wrote:JavaShit
Whilst I don't require JavaScript to use the system, using it will make things a lot easier for you. I'm not going to spend any effort making it better without JS beyond working at all
Wuzzy wrote:Tagging system allows anything to be added as tag, but without definition. Beware of such systems, the tendency to flood the system by thausands of useless or obscure/hard-to-grasp tags is high
False, you can only enter predefined tags.
Wuzzy wrote:I couldn't care less. The website does not look terrible IMO. It's simple and gets its job done. This is most important. This website has a logo? I haven't even seen it. XD
Both already removed.
Wuzzy wrote:Entering e-mail into profile does not work, after submitting, the field stays empty, no UI response
It sends a verification email. There should be a flash about this (green message at the bottom).

-------------------------

Here's all the stuff that can be imported automatically from Github (except the screenshot which is imported later):

Hello profile reader

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Dependencies seem to work now as expected. Can you also depend on other particular mods from Minetest Game? What about mods from other subgames?
Not using Github just makes your life harder.
That's like saying “This website is best viewed with Internet Explorer 6.0”. ;-)

A good design would be tailored towards git, not one particular git repository hoster. Hosters may come and go (even GitHub), but git is probably going to stay. Remember Sourceforge?

I don't understand why this is not possible. Git repositories work the same no matter who hosts them. Minetest Bower works great and manages to automatically extract description and screenshot, no matter where the repository is hosted. So why can't Content DB?

Even ignoring this, it's never good to save fields in the Content DB redundantly to the mod-stored metadata.

I know you love your GitHub, but GitHub is not without its problems. It's one of many possible hosters, other hosters are perfectly valid choices and should not be discriminated against.
I'm not going to spend any effort making it better without JS beyond working at all
As long you commit to keep the website make fully usable without JS, I'm perfectly fine with that. It's OK if some convenience is lost, as long it still works reasonably. There's a name for that: Progressive enhancement. This is the way to go.

For committing to making the service work without JS, you are my hero forever. :-)
Fields are also now hidden if they're not needed.
False, this texture pack (https://content.minetest.net/packages/s ... erfection/) still shows the field “Dependencies”. It's very minor, but still pointless.
Now it's a comma-separated list for the info, although with JS it doesn't support pasting yet.
Good, but why would you break it with JS? Just keep it simple and stupid, don't try to invent “clever” non-standard widgets which may be finnicky to use.
False, you can only enter predefined tags.
Very good.
It sends a verification email. There should be a flash about this (green message at the bottom).
Not without JS, apparently. :-(
Here's all the stuff that can be imported automatically from Github (except the screenshot which is imported later):

<huge image>
Title?
Long description?
License?
Forum topic ID?

There is no standard way to specify these right now.
I have the suspicion that Content DB has a magic crystal ball called “Heuristics”. ;-)

In the long run, mod.conf could be extended to include (some of) these things, so those things don't need dark magic. Note it's no big deal if I have to type those in by hand in the end, my list of mods is finite. Redundancy is the bigger deal here.
Last edited by Wuzzy on Sun May 27, 2018 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Wuzzy wrote:A good design would be tailored towards git, not one particular git repository hoster. Hosters may come and go (even GitHub), but git is probably going to stay. Remember Sourceforge?

I don't understand why this is not possible. Git repositories work the same no matter who hosts them. Minetest Bower works great and manages to automatically extract description and screenshot, no matter where the repository is hosted. So why can't Content DB?
Because it's more of a hassle security wise.
Wuzzy wrote:Even ignoring this, it's never good to save fields in the Content DB redundantly to the mod-stored metadata.
Performance - you don't want to fetch the content every time someone wants a package list, plus the above.
Wuzzy wrote:I know you love your GitHub, but GitHub is not without its problems. It's one of many possible hosters, other hosters are perfectly valid choices and should not be discriminated against.
Sure they should be, why should I bother adding support for other hosts which barely any one uses?
Wuzzy wrote:Not without JS, apparently. :-(
It doesn't require JS, there's probably some other reason.
Wuzzy wrote: Title?
Long description?
License?
Forum topic ID?

There is no standard way to specify these right now.
I have the suspicion that Content DB has a magic crystal ball called “Heuristics”. ;-)
In the long run, mod.conf could be extended to include (some of) these things, so those things don't need dark magic.
Long description comes from description.txt
Forum topic ID is from Krock's mod search
Title is a well capitalised version of the mod name
License isn't fetched yet, although in future it'll read LICENSE.txt
Wuzzy wrote:Dependencies seem to work now as expected. Can you also depend on other particular mods from Minetest Game? What about mods from other subgames?
Yes, yes, and *games
Wuzzy wrote:Good, but why would you break it with JS? Just keep it simple and stupid, don't try to invent “clever” non-standard widgets which may be finnicky to use.
There is no default widget which is a searchable multiple select and also allows arbitrary creation

Hello profile reader

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:A good design would be tailored towards git, not one particular git repository hoster. Hosters may come and go (even GitHub), but git is probably going to stay. Remember Sourceforge?

Because it's more of a hassle security wise.
???
Minetest Bower is an example of a WORKING solution, whatever problems there might be, they have been solved already. I don't get it. Care to elaborate?

Have you actually looked at how Minetest Bower does this? I like to hear your thoughts.
https://github.com/cornernote/minetest-bower
https://minetest-bower.herokuapp.com/
Wuzzy wrote:Even ignoring this, it's never good to save fields in the Content DB redundantly to the mod-stored metadata.
Performance - you don't want to fetch the content every time someone wants a package list, plus the above.
What about caching, and saving this data internally only?
Wuzzy wrote:I know you love your GitHub, but GitHub is not without its problems. It's one of many possible hosters, other hosters are perfectly valid choices and should not be discriminated against.
Sure they should be, why should I bother adding support for other hosts which barely any one uses?
I don't like your attitude. If you don't want to add code for that, fine, but at least show respect.
There are reasons to avoid GitHub, namely, it's full of proprietary JavaShit, which is one of the biggest ironies in free software right now. xD Anyway, trying to push GitHub (or any other particular git hoster) upon modders because of your personal preferences is … not nice to say the least.
I admit I have not fully freed myselves from the tentacles of the octocat, but maybe one day, I will.

But I realize you don't really make GitHub mandatory (well, at least you plan to), so it could be worse.
Long description comes from description.txt
???
Isn't this file intended for short descriptions?
Forum topic ID is from Krock's mod search
Crystal ball …
Hey, wait, this is actually quite clever.
Title is a well capitalised version of the mod name
More crystal ball. I would suggest to keep it empty, just in case.
License isn't fetched yet, although in future it'll read LICENSE.txt
License as metadata really ought to be standardized.
There is no default widget which is a searchable multiple select and also allows arbitrary creation
I guess I just wait for a few days and look at it again after a few versions. ;-)
Yes, yes, and *games
Oh noooooo! I have used the S word!!! I'm so sorry.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I will probably have to add support for git eventually in order to get the depends and mod names from mod packs, but adding support for just github was very simple as it's just making HTTP requests to a URL per file: https://github.com/minetest/contentdb/b ... #L147-L218

I did originally want to just get the info for the packages from the mod.conf (there's a demo of this on my GH profile somewhere), and not even offer a way to edit it, but this doesn't work well when the person adding the package can't edit its source - so it means you can't have the Editor system.

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:but adding support for just github was very simple a hack as it's just making HTTP requests to a URL per file:

FTFY because that is not how to use Git (even if maybe 99% of all MT mods use GitHub).

Maybe use one of the sevaral available PHP libraries for fetching Git repository data.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I don't use PHP and I will never use PHP. Using a well defined HTTP API is not a hack.

Hello profile reader

Sires
GitHub: Sires0
IRC: Sires
In-game: Sires Sores Siri Seris or anything ppl call me

by Sires » Post

Well, I like minetest because it's opensource and free software(well some community parts may be CC-BY-SA indeed but the core is gpl compatible AFAIK), indeed I see free software as a form of respect(since if something goes in any way against other's value, the offended person can simply change the code and help some other ppl ;) ) so I do agree with Wuzzy in this case, but I also appreciate your working for doing such a thing. Just wondering, if someone made it work well with git, would you accept it as a PR?(in other words: Are you open for PRs?)
I don't have anything important to say.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Yes, I'd accept that although it would need to have good security (download with depth=1 and have a size/time limit).
I've used GitPython for this in the past, although I never found out how to limit downloads by size or time.

Currently it's probably best to go with the forum guidelines in terms of non-free stuff viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1271
I meant to ask about that and change the jumbotron description before releasing. I'll make sure to add a non-free warning if non-free software is allowed, and also a setting to hide them.

Hello profile reader

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I think the Content DB should be FOSS-only, no matter what the forum policy says.
The forum is just the forum, but the Content DB will be very official and probably deeply integrated into Minetest, so policy does matter.

More rationale/discussion about this here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20193

Thomas-S
GitHub: Thomas--S
IRC: Thomas-S
In-game: Thomas-S

by Thomas-S » Post

It would be very good if different licenses for code and media could be chosen.